• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

J_Viper

I do really wish there was a "fast forward" feature in Route B.

I mean, the main quest is great ride, but having to play through it again right after is a bit tiring, especially when, so far, it's been exactly the same, minus a few small cut-scenes.

Maybe the second half will differentiate more from Route A.

Of course, the main issue here is the combat. Ten hours into route A, I've pretty much seen all the combat has to offer. It hasn't changed at all. I hope there are some gameplay differences in Route C.

Timeaisis

Ok, I'm liking it more now that I am fine hours in but I'm still not "hooked" yet. I'll keep at it. Music is the highlight so far. Story is very elusive, for better or worse.

Golnei

Feels like a mid-tier PS3 game, to be quite honest.

I'm actually quite impressed at how they replicated the exact mid-budget PS360 aesthetic of the first game. Maybe it's due to shared weaknesses between Cavia and Platinum's art departments, but with no prior knowledge I'd have a hard time telling them apart from screenshots. Like I said earlier, the degree to which it remains visually consistent with Nier is something I was quite surprised with from the beginning - not that it doesn't have its own identity, the menus and UI are very distinct - but it very much feels like the same world seen through different eyes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ok, I'm liking it more now that I am fine hours in but I'm still not "hooked" yet. I'll keep at it. Music is the highlight so far. Story is very elusive, for better or worse.

It will remain elusive until you get at least 2 main endings under your belt. It is a wine to be sipped, not a beer to be chugged.

Whales

Banned

the story hook really starts at route C

A and B were nothing compared to it

hey also can anyone point me to a little (some stuff in route C)
project gestalt recapitulation somewhere on internet?

I don't have all of the project reports, I think im missing like 4, 5 , and like 2 others. It was interesting to read them and see what the sis androids were about but it would be nice to understand that project better

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

But when you get back to it after getting the context for the entire thing, the first 2 parts actually transforms into one of my favourite parts in the game.

It really rewards you for falling down the rabbit hole.

hey also can anyone point me to a little (some stuff in route C)
project gestalt recapitulation somewhere on internet?

I don't have all of the project reports, I think im missing like 4, 5 , and like 2 others. It was interesting to read them and see what the sis androids were about but it would be nice to understand that project better
Play the first game! :)

I'm working on 100% completing the game and the amount of stuff I missed despite trying to complete the game as much as possible the first time though is pretty impressive. I'm just impressed at all the little nooks and crannies of the game and all the weapons I missed.

Emil's House
in particular hit me hard. Between the lonesome music exploring my way there and the difficult enemies to the music once you reach that area
I PROMISED I WOULD NEVER LISTEN TO THAT SONG AGAIN AFTER NIER 1 I'M NOT CRYING

gngf123

Don't know if this will interest you guys, but they announced an early list of games that will be run at SGDQ this year and on the list is a run of this game (up to ending A) by Halfcoordinated.

For those who don't know half, he is disabled and plays games one handed. He is an inspiration. Here he is playing Momodora 4 last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtUwIW7cL8

Estimated time to finish ending A is 2 hours 25 minutes. Here's the list: https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

Finished my first playthrough for ending [A]. I see that I have to replay the main story again for ? As much as I loved this masterpiece, I might just come back to it, and start playing P5.

gngf123

Finished my first playthrough for ending [A]. I see that I have to replay the main story again for ? As much as I loved this masterpiece, I might just come back to it, and start playing P5.

It's a unique structure, but what you consider to be the main story right now is actually incomplete.

Like really incomplete.

Route B sadly shares a lot of content with A early on so it's kind of a hard sell, but if you feel like you liked this game it's really worth it.

The chapters of the story (because that's really what they are) - go up to E.

killatopak

Gold Member
I do really wish there was a "fast forward" feature in Route B.

I mean, the main quest is great ride, but having to play through it again right after is a bit tiring, especially when, so far, it's been exactly the same, minus a few small cut-scenes.

Maybe the second half will differentiate more from Route A.

Of course, the main issue here is the combat. Ten hours into route A, I've pretty much seen all the combat has to offer. It hasn't changed at all. I hope there are some gameplay differences in Route C.

2nd half of route B differs a lot. Route C offers a bit more in the combat department with regards to a few added mechanics. Though you'll be hard pressed to care about mechanics once you get to route C because the story takes center stage.

Golnei

They used the carryover of completed sidequests into Route B in a really clever way - as soon as the game gives you ample motivation to go beat up
Jean-Paul
, you realise that he's already run away due to your previous actions.

Also, that
new Adam and Eve
scene isn't making their decision to omit certain anatomical details any more explicable; at least from an in-universe perspective.

Ferrio

Banned

You're no where near the end of the game. Calling it a masterpiece after only doing the very first bit of it is premature.

LotusHD

Banned
This really is one of those games where you shouldn't make judgement on the story until you really complete the game.

Lmao this

That being said, I don't really bother trying to hype someone up these days. I'm just like... keep playing. More stuff happens.

Hektor

I don't even understand how you could call the game a masterpiece if you only finished A.

The story and characters of A are trash seen in a vacuum because there's barely been happening stuff with either at that point.

The entire route is only build up for what's to come later.

spiritfox

I don't even understand how you could call the game a masterpiece if you only finished A.

The story and characters of A are trash seen in a vacuum because there's barely been happening stuff with either at that point.

The entire route is only build up for what's to come later.

I wouldn't say it's trash, it's an okay story by itself. But it certainly pales in comparison to the later parts of the game, and revelations from later in the game also changes a lot of what we think happens in ending A.

Ferr986

Finished route B

the hell was that 2 kids showing in 9S "death" sequence? that wasn't in route a, right?

Also I swear I saw a kid hologram when 9S got into his robot before the final boss, but maybe I'm crazy.

Anyways, didn't see anything remarkable in C preview, but good to see there's a lot of new stuff.

So I'm in route C and I just walked out
from Pascal after he made his request at the factory
. Will this have implications further ahead? If so, should I reload from a previous save?

Since he was one of the most advanced machine lifeforms and greatly interested in Humanity and philosophy, I thought I would show him what that really means in that situation's context.

Orcastar

No, it doesn't effect anything else.

But you know what you did.

Yeah, I know what I did: refused a stupid request. You wanna be human, Pascal? Then deal with your loss or take responsibility for your own actions and end yourself instead of asking someone else to do it for you. You coward.

Ferrio

Banned
Since he was one of the most advanced machine lifeforms and greatly interested in Humanity and philosophy, I thought I would show him what that really means in that situation's context.

I did the same thing. Fuck you pascal, you can't have it both ways. Someone has to carry on the memories of those children.

killatopak

Gold Member
Finished route B

the hell was that 2 kids showing in 9S "death" sequence? that wasn't in route a, right?

Also I swear I saw a kid hologram when 9S got into his robot before the final boss, but maybe I'm crazy.

Anyways, didn't see anything remarkable in C preview, but good to see there's a lot of new stuff.

just play the gameee mannnn hahaha.

Same impressions for me after 2 hours. I did like one of the later boss fights but the world is very stiff and lifeless so far. Still, the combat is pretty good and the music is also nice most of the times.

So I just finished up the Amusement Park and it seems like the world is opening up a bit. The boss fights have been great (and crazy) so far. Game is really starting to grow on me after the weak start.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Basically, don't ask questions until you get ending E because any answer constitutes a spoiler.

Finished route B

Hehe yeah, I'm only a few hours into the start of Route
C but I'm really intrigued/have some ideas. That didn't happen in Route A, no.

I had the same reaction before 9S jumped into the flight unit! "Did I just see..?"...I panicked because I thought it may have been an NPC to speak to but I'd ran to the flight unit too quickly and triggered a cut scene. I googled it to make sure I wasn't imagining things and yeah, there was definitely a hologram of sorts there. No idea why, but I'm excited to find out.

After finding some parts of Route B a little bit of a grind, I can honestly say that the intro to Route C fucking floored me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What are my options as someone that lives in NZ :p?

I live right next to you fellas in australia and i used cdjapan, but Amazon jp ships overseas now. I went with cdjapan because i had points there and I'm familiar with them. The ost is backordered now though.

Moonkid

I live right next to you fellas in australia and i used cdjapan, but Amazon jp ships overseas now. I went with cdjapan because i had points there and I'm familiar with them. The ost is backordered now though.
I'll go with Amazon jp then. Brilliant, thanks friend-o!

Speaking of the OST, so what are the chances of a 5.1 Bluray version of Nier Automata OST? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the CD edition. It's just that I've been playing the game with virtual surround sound on my Pulse Elites headphones and I love what the game does with sound channels separation.

Koozek

Hahaha, you haven't even started the game yet. If the game actually ended at Route A I would've been very disappointed. All these “So, I finished Ending A and it's cool and all, but I don't see what's so amazing about this game“ posts are hilarious because I felt exactly the same at that point, not expecting the other endings too be much more than just a few additional scenes. Only thing I'll say is this: boy, was I wrong :D

Moonkid

Hahaha, you haven't even started the game yet. If the game actually ended at Route A I would've been very disappointed. All these “So, I finished Ending A and it's cool and all, but I don't see what's so amazing about this game“ posts are hilarious because I felt exactly the same at that point, not expecting the other endings too be much more than just a few additional scenes. Only thing I'll say is this: boy, was I wrong :D
I'm jealous of all the "just finished the first ending and it's my GOTY" posts because if *that* impressed them, well, the rest of the game is gonna melt their flippin' faces off.

PBalfredo

The Find a Present quest is only possible on route A, isn't it? I accidentally blew through A too fast without triggering it, not knowing I'd miss it. Now I'm on route C and full of regret.
I saw that 6O was not at her station during the bunker destruction, so I was holding out hope she had gotten out. But then I looked it up and saw the dialogue that confirms her fate in the bunker if I had completed Find a Present. I saw footage of Find a Present itself and it's incredibly sweat, so now I'm extra sad that I missed it. I'm sorry 6O, you deserve better ;_;

Jintor

OST shipped~

C8t86UCUwAAe9Wq.jpg:large

bahahaha

Top Bottom