• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

killatopak

Gold Member
Yes, I agree as well that 9S VA is great. Just a simple "oh 2B"
while he listens to her recording in the flight unit
evokes emotions.

Golnei

Man, 9S english VA knocks it out of the park.

He's fantastic. I wasn't expecting 9S to be anywhere near as endearing as he's turning out, and the voice acting is a big part of that.

It's a good thing
Adam and Eve
aren't really that important, then. I think the most interesting thing going on with them is the
Red Eye and Cult of the Watchers imagery all over Eve and the implications it has for the NieR universe.

Still, even if they're ultimately more minor, it's a shame that they weren't able to deliver something more interesting with them. That first scene was really striking, and the concept of
machines imitating humanity
has so far led to some of the more memorable moments of the game - so why is it that
Adam and Eve
are duller than almost every other
machine lifeform
with a speaking part? I feel like they had the potential to be great characters, but were completely fumbled after a good first impression.

Anyway, thanks for the sidequest reassurance, I'll start route B now.

killatopak

Gold Member
He's fantastic. I wasn't expecting 9S to be anywhere near as endearing as he's turning out, and the voice acting is a big part of that.

Still, even if they're ultimately more minor, it's a shame that they weren't able to deliver something more interesting with them. That first scene was really striking, and the concept of
machines imitating humanity
has so far led to some of the more memorable moments of the game - so why is it that
Adam and Eve
are duller than almost every other
machine lifeform
with a speaking part? I feel like they had the potential to be great characters, but were completely fumbled after a good first impression.

Anyway, thanks for the sidequest reassurance, I'll start route B now.

They're duller because
they're still connected to the network. The more interesting machines like Pascal and the Forest King are the way they are because they aren't connected.

Exentryk

3rd optional boss done.
Was hoping for a more one-on-one type boss to be honest. The fight is really chaotic, with attacks coming off screen and what not. The desert area means uneven surface, and the sandstorm makes visibility poor as well. It wasn't a well designed fight imo.

Anyway, I guess that's everything I will have time for this month. Still have like 20 joke endings to get, but that'll have to wait for later.

Loved my time with the game. My GOTY so far, and definitely one of the best JRPGs ever! Really excited to see what this team does next.

RyudBoy

Am I playing 9S wrong? He seems weak (and kinda boring) compared to 2B. Hacking gets old pretty fast. Please tell me I'm missing something about him. :/

Am I playing 9S wrong? He seems weak (and kinda boring) compared to 2B. Hacking gets old pretty fast. Please tell me I'm missing something about him. :/

He's not a combat unit. Unless you severely out-level the enemies you're better off hacking them instead. You want to equip chips that stun on hack and increase the blast radius to do more damage when a robot explodes. Yes, it gets old. Note that the enemy can be 20+ levels above you and the hacking game is exactly the same.

gngf123

Upgrade a spear to use on single enemies. For multiple ones, use hacking and partner it with plug-in chips. The one that causes short circuits is fun just so you can set everything on fire.

Golnei

They're duller because
they're still connected to the network. The more interesting machines like Pascal and the Forest King are the way they are because they aren't connected.

I don't mean duller in terms of having a complex and human personality, but in terms of the creative decisions they made to write the characters. It's established that they have a
conscious drive to mimic humanity - the same underlying response that created the infinitely more compelling "this cannot continue" scene and amusement park scenario, both perpetuated by machines on the network. Really diving into the uncanny valley with their speech patterns and thought processes instead of taking the easy way out and making Adam an eloquent monologuing villain and Eve Liquid Snake had the potential to make an even greater impact, using their human appearance to amplify the "wrongness" of their being instead of diminishing it. An obviously inhuman robot crudely mimicking the rituals of humanity can be creepy, something that looks human but gets the finer details badly wrong can be even more unsettling.

Geg

I just made it into
the Tower
on Route C last night before having to go to bed but hoo boy
that library. I had to stop right after I entered but man I can't wait to play again after work

Man, 9S english VA knocks it out of the park.

I actually think the VO work in general is of very high quality. In the couple of big battles towards the end of route A, both
Eve and Adam
really sell their characters.
Eve
in particular, in the final battle, really, really sells the
remorse and anger of losing his brother

I feel like 2B and 9S have been great also, but generally speaking it's all quite good.

Geg

Also I can I get a quick non-spoilery answer for this? Route C & after spoilers:
I noticed when exploring around that the elevator down to the bottom levels of the factory is always unlocked now, but the enemies there are stronger than where the story enemies are at, with all the basic machines being level 60+. Is this place ever returned to as part of the main story or is it completely optional and I should just explore it on my own for extra/optional stuff?

Buying and diving in next week, all aboard the hype train and wish me luck...my first Nier experience outside of the demo.

It's been mine as well. Come for the fantastic Platinum combat. Stay for literally every other thing about the game being S tier (which i did not expect at all) story/plot, writing, music, characters, pacing. It's all really good.

KodaRuss

I finished C, D and E last night. Some of B felt like kind of a waste of time, so I really pushed my way through it.

I enjoyed the game a lot, felt that it could use a little more color and
the humans being already dead was not that big of a surprise to me I guess.

While I felt that A and B had some parts that dragged a little bit, every part of C was great. Loved the characters as well, 2B, 9S and A2 were all well designed and acted out well.

Overall took me 30 hours, so I skipped a lot of the side quests I guess (I started a bunch, just never finished them).

Going to head to the spoiler thread because I still have a few questions.

RyudBoy

Use spear throws.

upgrade a spear and go ham

He's not a combat unit. Unless you severely out-level the enemies you're better off hacking them instead. You want to equip chips that stun on hack and increase the blast radius to do more damage when a robot explodes. Yes, it gets old. Note that the enemy can be 20+ levels above you and the hacking game is exactly the same.

Upgrade a spear to use on single enemies. For multiple ones, use hacking and partner it with plug-in chips. The one that causes short circuits is fun just so you can set everything on fire.

I've been using a lvl3 sword this whole time. Didn't try to use a spear yet but I'll give it a go. And yea, I need to experiment with some different plug-in chips. I put almost everything on attack because 9S feels so weak.

Thanks for the advice.

killatopak

Gold Member
Also I can I get a quick non-spoilery answer for this? Route C & after spoilers:
I noticed when exploring around that the elevator down to the bottom levels of the factory is always unlocked now, but the enemies there are stronger than where the story enemies are at, with all the basic machines being level 60+. Is this place ever returned to as part of the main story or is it completely optional and I should just explore it on my own for extra/optional stuff?

Optional.

Hoping i can get a non-spoilery answer.

I'm maybe 30 minutes into Route B. During Route A, i beat the
Level 50 version of the sensei robot, but not the level 60 version

Does that whole quest reset at some point? Was I supposed to finish it in Route A and I just wasn't high enough level? Or do I get another crack at it at some point?

More generally, someone said that
Chapter select unlocks after Route C
, so does that mean I can just go back and clean up all the side quests at that point?

Completely optional but highly recommended. It's got a very different mood after what transpired in route A and B. Also it'll be your first time to go through the whole place and unlock things as 9S.

About 20 hours into Route A. Enjoying myself, but haven't been floored yet, by anything. But that's OK, because from what I've been reading, that seems to be the general consensus... that the good stuff doesn't show up until later.

Just kind of going through the motions right now. Dialogue and voice work is pretty great. The world itself is kind of bland.

Having fun, overall. Excited to see where the story goes, for sure.

Gbraga

I'm honestly surprised by how much I'm enjoying Route B so far, going by impressions. I've been loving everything about this game.

I was expecting to enjoy it, but that's because I was already in love with A, so repeating A with slightly worse gameplay didn't sound bad at all, but I'm loving the differences.

Okay, so I got ending A - I don't think I was expecting it to go quite so fast. Is route B like the first game in terms of allowing you to go back and do sidequests from
before the carrier mission
?

Overall, I'm definitely on board with what the game's doing and can't wait to see the rest, but found
Adam and Eve
to be conspicuous weak links so far, with the exception of their introduction scene. With a cast that's otherwise so endearing and full of personality - especially
the machines
; not quite so much for 2B given her status as a viewpoint character - they didn't manage to rise above mediocre cliched villain archetypes; actively bringing down what were otherwise fun fights with great presentation (the
Copied City
is the most striking thing in the game I've seen to this point, the
Senator Armstrong-meets-Uroboros Wesker in blackface
battle was suitably climactic) with flat, uninteresting takes on stock characters. The Shadowlord, Devola and Popola all brought an incredible amount of pathos to their situations, but
Eve's grief
didn't land at all.

The fact that
Eve has the mark of the Watchers
makes me think so much about him and theorize about every little thing, seeking connections to the other games, and that alone makes me like them, haha. Eve being cute certainly helps.

In the absence of other information, I'm assuming she ends up with 2B.

OTP. That's already canon to me.

gngf123

Hoping i can get a non-spoilery answer.

I'm maybe 30 minutes into Route B. During Route A, i beat the
Level 50 version of the sensei robot, but not the level 60 version

Does that whole quest reset at some point? Was I supposed to finish it in Route A and I just wasn't high enough level? Or do I get another crack at it at some point?

More generally, someone said that
Chapter select unlocks after Route C
, so does that mean I can just go back and clean up all the side quests at that point?

Father Servo
is actually one of the very few multi-stage sidequests that doesn't get reset. He should be exactly where you left him.

The other is the
scientist robot

Father Servo
is actually one of the very few multi-stage sidequests that doesn't get reset. He should be exactly where you left him.

The other is the
scientist robot

Does the
Wandering Couple
get reset? I got to a point where they were clearly somewhere on the map I couldn't get to (at the time) and maybe I was progressing main quests too fast, but it seemed like all the way through the end of A, I couldn't get to where the next step of that one was.

Thanks for the info (on both). Very helpful!

Does the
Wandering Couple
get reset? I got to a point where they were clearly somewhere on the map I couldn't get to (at the time) and maybe I was progressing main quests too fast, but it seemed like all the way through the end of A, I couldn't get to where the next step of that one was.

They're at the coast. You can finish the quest on route A but if you run past them and continue the story, you are at the point of no return and have to do it all over, including paying the 50000 G.

They're at the coast. You can finish the quest on route A but if you run past them and continue the story, you are at the point of no return and have to do it all over, including paying the 50000 G.

Interesting. Well I guess the upshot is that I didn't get far enough to
pay the 50K

So I guess I can redo it in B?

kewlmyc

I've been using a lvl3 sword this whole time. Didn't try to use a spear yet but I'll give it a go. And yea, I need to experiment with some different plug-in chips. I put almost everything on attack because 9S feels so weak.

Thanks for the advice.

Spear of the Usurper ups crit percentage, so 9S's held down attack with the spear can one shot a lot of enemies.

Just beat B and im sitting here like

extreme_face.gif

NeoRaider

I started playing it few days ago on PC. But can someone explain plug-in chips to me?? Or give me a link for some nice tutorial? It's really not well explained in the game and i am not really sure how and what exactly should i do to use them the best way.

Thanks.

Skulldead

I wishes the game had a difficult between Hard and Normal.

Normal is pathetic easy, and on hard even with good gear and Hp boost +6/7 + Defense physical boost +5/6 i still get one shot by enemies that have 1 level more then me...

Platinum game was never good at balancing game, but this hit a new level...

Other then that i love the game, but it kill a little my enjoyment so far (about 13 hour in).

Mailbox

I started playing it few days ago on PC. But can someone explain plug-in chips to me?? Or give me a link for some nice tutorial? It's really not well explained in the game and i am not really sure how and what exactly should i do to use them the best way.

Thanks.

they are perks that take up slots. you can buy more slots. you can buy more perks (plug-in chips)

just look at their description and play around

oh and you can combine 2 of the same chip to make a better version of it.

thats it really. think of it like materia or something

Gbraga

I wishes the game had a difficult between Hard and Normal.

Normal is pathetic easy, and on hard even with good gear and Hp boost +6/7 + Defense physical boost +5/6 i still get one shot by enemies that have 1 level more then me...

Platinum game was never good at balancing game, but this hit a new level...

Other then that i love the game, but it kill a little my enjoyment so far (about 13 hour in).

What I'm doing is playing on Normal but changing to Hard for every boss fight, and then back to Normal. Makes things a lot more exciting and tense when they have to be.

Arkeband

Banned
I actually think the VO work in general is of very high quality. In the couple of big battles towards the end of route A, both
Eve and Adam
really sell their characters.
Eve
in particular, in the final battle, really, really sells the
remorse and anger of losing his brother

I feel like 2B and 9S have been great also, but generally speaking it's all quite good.

It's interesting that Ray Chase was more interesting as Eve than he was as Noctis.

NeoRaider

they are perks that take up slots. you can buy more slots. you can buy more perks (plug-in chips)

just look at their description and play around

oh and you can combine 2 of the same chip to make a better version of it.

thats it really. think of it like materia or something

But they are not time limited?
Once i "install" chip that i want to, it's always active? Until i replace it or die? Is that right?

Arkeband

Banned
But they are not time limited?
Once i "install" chip that i want to, it's always active? Until i replace it or die? Is that right?

The only ones that are time limited are the ones you absorb off of other player's bodies, they buff you for a minute or so. The ones you manually equip are permanent.

Top Bottom