• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Gbraga

You know, ("joke" ending spoiler)
I never played Undertale, but I always thought that people saying they didn't want to do the Genocide run because of how much they liked the characters sounded ridiculous. So I've been informed that you get an ending by killing everyone in Pascal's village, and decided to do it. I saved right before that, and loaded the save instantly after, but it still felt wrong. I honestly felt terrible doing it, and continued to feel terrible after that, for quite a while.

Thankfully, there were a couple of hilarious sidequests there on route B and it got me laughing again.

I never thought I would ever feel that way for killing NPCs. I need to play Undertale.

Route B's sidequests are so good. I was expecting my experience with B to be a lot more focused on the main story, but here I am doing all kinds of stuff again.

And I really appreciate the chip that shows chests on your map on route B. Not only because it's convenient since I wouldn't remember every single locked chest location, but also simply because it's not available on A. It really reinforces how much the player naturally focuses on the minimap to the detriment of taking in the environments and level design when you get access to it after spending many hours in the same world without that. It's easy to get lost in the Yoko Taroness of it all and some times just not give enough credit to bits of great conventional game design.

Hektor

I never played Undertale, but I always thought that people saying they didn't want to do the Genocide run because of how much they liked the characters sounded ridiculous. So I've been informed that you get an ending by killing everyone in Pascal's village, and decided to do it. I saved right before that, and loaded the save instantly after, but it still felt wrong. I honestly felt terrible doing it, and continued to feel terrible after that, for quite a while.

Thankfully, there were a couple of hilarious sidequests there on route B and it got me laughing again.

I never thought I would ever feel that way for killing NPCs. I need to play Undertale.

Do it. It's the most yoko taro-esque game not made by Taro I can think of.

Bowlie

Banned

I never did that either; being friends with everyone was how I wanted that game to end.

Ferr986

just play the gameee mannnn hahaha.

lol you're right, I just can't help it, need to post about all the weird shit I keep seeing

Hehe yeah, I'm only a few hours into the start of Route
C but I'm really intrigued/have some ideas. That didn't happen in Route A, no.

I had the same reaction before 9S jumped into the flight unit! "Did I just see..?"...I panicked because I thought it may have been an NPC to speak to but I'd ran to the flight unit too quickly and triggered a cut scene. I googled it to make sure I wasn't imagining things and yeah, there was definitely a hologram of sorts there. No idea why, but I'm excited to find out.

After finding some parts of Route B a little bit of a grind, I can honestly say that the intro to Route C fucking floored me.

I thought that hologram thing was a quest of sorts too and thinking "damn I missed it" lol

Pretty curious about that shit too, especially cause it's more like hologram, so I think it's going to be some kind of fuckery that will mess with what we see.

Didn't start C yet, planning to do it tomorrow!

It's a unique structure, but what you consider to be the main story right now is actually incomplete.

Like really incomplete.

Route B sadly shares a lot of content with A early on so it's kind of a hard sell, but if you feel like you liked this game it's really worth it.

The chapters of the story (because that's really what they are) - go up to E.

You're no where near the end of the game. Calling it a masterpiece after only doing the very first bit of it is premature.

Hahaha, you haven't even started the game yet. If the game actually ended at Route A I would've been very disappointed. All these “So, I finished Ending A and it's cool and all, but I don't see what's so amazing about this game“ posts are hilarious because I felt exactly the same at that point, not expecting the other endings too be much more than just a few additional scenes. Only thing I'll say is this: boy, was I wrong :D

After sleeping on it, and reading your replies, I decided to see where Route B takes me. My copy of Persona 5 can wait for now. I honestly had no idea the other endings added that much. Thanks for the insight! :D

Koozek

After sleeping on it, and reading your replies, I decided to see where Route B takes me. My copy of Persona 5 can wait for now. I honestly had no idea the other endings added that much. Thanks for the insight! :D
I honestly think it shouldn't have been marketed as having several "endings". Should've called it chapters/acts or whatever. Because it can be pretty misleading for people like me who don't like NG+ or replaying right after finishing a game. At least they had that info message after the first time. Though, maybe thinking the game "ended" is also kinda part of the surprise effect?

Are the difficulty settings in this game pretty out of whack or "is it just me (TM)"?

Normal is too easy to be particularly engaging and Hard is slightly obnoxious...I'm torn...

Ascheroth

Are the difficulty settings in this game pretty out of whack or "is it just me (TM)"?

Normal is too easy to be particularly engaging and Hard is slightly obnoxious...I'm torn...
Nah, it's not just you.
There is no real sweetspot, but you could try playing on Normal and switching to Hard for bosses.
:/

Gbraga

You can change it mid fight, so what I'm doing is changing it to Hard on every boss fight, and then back to normal.

Nah, it's not just you.
There is no real sweetspot, but you could try playing on Normal and switching to Hard for bosses.
:/

You can change it mid fight, so what I'm doing is changing it to Hard on every boss fight, and then back to normal.

What the fudge? I'm not a big fan of things getting too mashy during regular encounters and I'm feeling that a bit too much on Normal. I think I might go Hard and git the fuck good I guess. Constantly switching seems cumbersome.

Route B's sidequests are so good. I was expecting my experience with B to be a lot more focused on the main story, but here I am doing all kinds of stuff again.

And I really appreciate the chip that shows chests on your map on route B. Not only because it's convenient since I wouldn't remember every single locked chest location, but also simply because it's not available on A. It really reinforces how much the player naturally focuses on the minimap to the detriment of taking in the environments and level design when you get access to it after spending many hours in the same world without that. It's easy to get lost in the Yoko Taroness of it all and some times just not give enough credit to bits of great conventional game design.

I'm a little ways into route B. Where can I get this chip?

I agree 100%; i saw 20 of those chests in route A and no way I'm going to remember them all.

Gbraga

I'm a little ways into route B. Where can I get this chip?

I agree 100%; i saw 20 of those chests in route A and no way I'm going to remember them all.

You can buy it from NPC vendors. Not sure exactly where I got it, I think it was either the leg dude or the desert dude. Maybe the Pascal's village dude. But yeah, it was pre-fast travel, so you can get it early.

Skulldead

Any tips to farm Gold ? i want to finish the side quest before the non return moment don't want to spoil here. Need money for inventor and buy missing upgrade, i farm in forest for Deadly Heal, but does it exist any other faster way ? Thank

Is that what that chip does? I bought it and never equipped it. >_> ;_;

croten

Any tips to farm Gold ? i want to finish the side quest before the non return moment don't want to spoil here. Need money for inventor and buy missing upgrade, i farm in forest for Deadly Heal, but does it exist any other faster way ? Thank

Fishing can get you some money. Sell any junk items that have the description "can be sold for money" aside from Desert Roses. Machine Cores give a lot of money as well

Most people just wait until later. If you keep machine cores until route C they sell for 22500 each. I had close to 60 by that point.

Exentryk

What the fudge? I'm not a big fan of things getting too mashy during regular encounters and I'm feeling that a bit too much on Normal. I think I might go Hard and git the fuck good I guess. Constantly switching seems cumbersome.

Hard is pretty fun! Did the whole game on it. Just pay attention to your chip setups, weapon upgrades and the moves you can do with them. Some moves are safer than others, some perfect counters have more i-frames than others, etc. Once you start doing quests, it'll eventually become quite easy actually.

Yeah, that's a good way actually.
The albino/white animals in the forest areas drop rare meat(etc) that sell for a lot of money. You can go to the desert area where you fought the boss and fight infinite enemies there for drops and selling. You can fish in the desert oasis as those sell for good amount of money (there might be better spots, but I didn't need to grind for money after that zone).

Gbraga

My copy arrives tomorrow! What should I expect!?

Did you play any Yoko Taro game before? If so, expect more Yoko Taro. If it's your first one, damn.

Listen to Square-Enix when they tell you the game isn't over after the credits.

Is that what that chip does? I bought it and never equipped it. >_> ;_;

It's pretty awesome. Only for the mini map, which also helps to prevent that icon chasing, you still have to go through the areas normally to see the icons.

I honestly think it shouldn't have been marketed as having several "endings". Should've called it chapters/acts or whatever. Because it can be pretty misleading for people like me who don't like NG+ or replaying right after finishing a game. At least they had that info message after the first time. Though, maybe thinking the game "ended" is also kinda part of the surprise effect?

Calling them chapters or acts over endings would probably make more sense, as marketing 26 endings can be a little overwhelming for some. I'm kind of the same way when it comes to NG+ as well. Especially when I have other amazing titles to work on. Seriously looking forward to coming back to this after work now though.

Iceternal

Just wondering, why? Normally it's the opposite.

Game is too depressing, too nihilistic and pessimistic. Maybe I didn't truly understand the game.
But it's another problem, it's too complicated to understand also. I didn't enjoy its form of storytelling.

The kind of storytelling i enjoy the most is the Witcher 3's for example. It can also be very dark but it's also very humanistic and full of hope and straight-forward enough that its raw emotions reached me.

Nier went too far
with Pascal and his village for example. My brain disconnected from the game and its narrative from that point onwards. As as consequence, I couldn't relate with the narrative anymore and didn't feel any emotions. But even then, 2B's death didn't phase me either.

And I didn't get satisfying answers to many plot points like
how Adam and Eve were created.

It's probably all there in the game. But I just didn't get it.

In the end, Yoko Taro's style is not compatible with me.

Jiraiza

But it's another problem, it's too complicated to understand also. I didn't enjoy its form of storytelling.

It's not that complicated. You get a lot of in-game material that tells you outright a lot of things. The more subtle stuff you'll have to interpret on your own, but the details are all there. It's the good kind of complicated. A weird complaint, to say the least.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a fair, I guess not complaint, but preference. A lot of people don't like how Dark Souls' plot is delivered as well.

I feel Nier:A is towards the Dark Souls side of the spectrum in games storytelling. I love this shit but I know it's an acquired taste.

Orcastar

I don't think that it's too complicated to understand, but I do agree that the game just wallows in tragedy too much. Once you notice the fact that most side quests will end on some supposedly tragic twist, it just becomes too predictable and disconnecting. You just end up expecting bad things to happen, at which point the twists lose most of their impact.

That's what happened to me at least. There are plenty of games that have had an emotional impact on me, but Nier: Automata wasn't one of them.

To clarify, I'm not just talking about side quests either, the main story is the same way. For example,
when Pascal managed to defeat the Engels at the factory and you regain control, the first thought that popped into my head was "I bet the children are all dead and it was all for nothing". And I was right.

And just before A2 kills 2B, the only thing I could think of was "I bet 9S is gonna show up any minute, get the wrong idea and vow revenge against A2". Right again. Predictable

I kinda had the opposite issue. I got everything and enjoyed reading between the lines but the characters' motivations and the themes toward the end just didn't really resonate with me at all. I loved route A/B though.

This is all coming from someone who
cried like a baby
at the true ending of Undertale.

Gbraga

I don't think that it's too complicated to understand, but I do agree that the game just wallows in tragedy too much. Once you notice the fact that most side quests will end on some supposedly tragic twist, it just becomes too predictable and disconnecting. You just end up expecting bad things to happen, at which point the twists lose most of their impact.

That's what happened to me at least. There are plenty of games that have had an emotional impact on me, but Nier: Automata wasn't one of them.

I was actually surprised by how many sidequests have funny or happy endings.

Lol I personally didn't have a problem but that message is SE saying "Yoko Taro is insane and has us locked in his basement please don't refund this game or he'll keep us all here"

Route B has been less tedious than expected, though mostly thanks to side quests that I needed to complete. Really want to see if Route C lives up to the hype.

Robiin

Gonna make a cross post in both OTs - I'm having a difficult time choosing between this or Persona 5.

I get that they are completely different games, but I still need to choose between them. I only have time for one. Which one do I get? Help me GAF. Heading to the store in five minutes, need to have made a decision by then!

Hektor

Gonna make a cross post in both OTs - I'm having a difficult time choosing between this or Persona 5.

I get that they are completely different games, but I still need to choose between them. I only have time for one. Which one do I get? Help me GAF. Heading to the store in five minutes, need to have made a decision by then!

Nier: Automata will take you between 25 and 40 hours to beat, Persona 5 allegedly 60-100 (am only 20 hours in myself so far)

If you're short on time Nier is the way to go

I'm personally having a hard time enjoying Persona 5 because I played NieR first. NieR just personally affected me in such a strong way that it's been hard to enjoy other games since.

But Persona 5 is amazing as well. Lengthwise, N:A is probably a third to half the length P5 is. So if length is an issue, that might factor in.

Robiin

I'm personally having a hard time enjoying Persona 5 because I played NieR first. NieR just personally affected me in such a strong way that it's been hard to enjoy other games since.

But Persona 5 is amazing as well. Lengthwise, N:A is probably a third to half the length P5 is. So if length is an issue, that might factor in.
Thanks man. I might just pick up this now, then make Persona a summer game. I loved Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 so I know Platinum makes good stuff.

killatopak

Gold Member

posted this in the recommend thread.
Action RPG
You want to be depressed
Amazing OST
T H I C C
World Building

Buy Nier

Turn Based RPG
You want to be happy
Amazing OST
Cool
More personal relationships

Buy Persona

But please buy both.

Adding on, A complete 100% of NieR would take around 50-80 hours and mileage may vary. A plat would be on the 50 hours while completing all main endings would be around 30-40 hours.

Persona on the other hand would be much longer I guess especially if you want to 100%

NieR is more of a story that makes you think. Makes you question things. Persona on the other hand is a more personal story. Although NieR has personal stories and P5 has psychological things as well, those are the high points they have.

OST is a bit harder to quantify as personally I like both but if I had to choose it would be NieR as I feel the amount of care and the variance and the way it affects the game itself is just astounding. The music itself is part of the game and enhances the experience. While Persona on the other hand while absolutely amazing, it still use standard ways of portraying music.

Art style, I'll give it to Persona as it has so much flair and it just pops. It's so stylish and I like it but those who aren't fans of anime like visuals may be turned off. NieR is a bit more dialed down but you can still see the influence of anime. If you like T H I C C though, NieR is the way.

Gameplay - It's quite nice. It's not on the level of MGR, DMC or Bayonetta but it's definitely close. If you like action games then really you'll like NieR. P5 is really great as well. Probably one of the best turn based systems and added more flair to it. So you can't go wrong with both unless you have a certain preference.

Slater

Banned
It's a fair, I guess not complaint, but preference. A lot of people don't like how Dark Souls' plot is delivered as well.

I feel Nier:A is towards the Dark Souls side of the spectrum in games storytelling. I love this shit but I know it's an acquired taste.

Nier actually has a story to tell, character's with arcs and motivations and is internally consistent, so it quite different then Dark Souls. :p

Dartastic

I do really wish there was a "fast forward" feature in Route B.

I mean, the main quest is great ride, but having to play through it again right after is a bit tiring, especially when, so far, it's been exactly the same, minus a few small cut-scenes.

Maybe the second half will differentiate more from Route A.

Of course, the main issue here is the combat. Ten hours into route A, I've pretty much seen all the combat has to offer. It hasn't changed at all. I hope there are some gameplay differences in Route C.
I felt the same way, which is why I dropped it about an hour or so into Route B and picked up Horizon. Glad I made that choice, because the game has felt very "samey." I plan to come back, but the game really, really drops the ball there and makes it difficult to find the motivation to continue playing, IMO.

Top Bottom