• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I enjoyed the game a lot, felt that it could use a little more color and
the humans being already dead was not that big of a surprise to me I guess.

The fact that aliens
really did invade the world with an army of machines in the distant past was much more shocking to me. It was such a ludicrous set up that was just sort of thrown out there that I was 100% certain it was some sort of sinister conspiracy we'd unravel just like how we find out about how humans have long been extinct and the Council of Humanity is a ruse by the android higher ups.

Zunja

About to try this game for the first time. Just finished Yakuza.0 and was deciding between this and Persona 5. This game seems like a more combat focused game rather than story which is what I want so I'll pick up Persona later.

Really excited to get into it I've heard great things.

LotusHD

Banned
About to try this game for the first time. Just finished Yakuza.0 and was deciding between this and Persona 5. This game seems like a more combat focused game rather than story which is what I want so I'll pick up Persona later.

Actually the story is the real highlight, in addition to its more than serviceable combat. So best of both worlds and all that

I would say the story and world building are some of the best and most resonant parts of the game. Combat is damn fun, though.

Cloukyo

Banned

Combat is standard platinum excellence, as expected from them, definitely the best combat in a game this gen I think.

Yet the story and music greatly overshadow it

Route C:
Jesus Christ, all the passive robots went cannibalistic... why...?

Also, I tried to not wipe out Pascal but the game wouldn't proceed without me destroying Her memory :(

I had to turn the game off and go to bed after that.

gngf123

While the combat is a big part of this game, it is also one of the best examples of storytelling through gameplay in the entire industry.

Baalzebup

Route C:
Jesus Christ, all the passive robots went cannibalistic... why...?

Also, I tried to not wipe out Pascal but the game wouldn't proceed without me destroying Her memory :(

I had to turn the game off and go to bed after that.
Pascal ain't a "her" despite the voice. Everyone refer to him as a male, including himself. He literally refers to himself in 3rd person as 'uncle Pascal'. And you can totally walk out on him in that situation.

Whales

Banned
Route C question: ( not too far in)

Just started out with 9s after all the stuff happens... And the twins told me something in the likes of ''you dont have the bunker so if you die now its finished''

What do they mean? If I die im screwed or what?

Golnei

If they just let you hold X to use the aerial finisher directly instead of going through the entire combo,
9S
would feel so much more intuitive.

The rigidity of the combo strings was already feeling restrictive beforehand, the shift to one attack button isn't helping matters.

RyudBoy

Really enjoyed the Devola and Popola back-story, and right before that
the song from the first Nier played in the background
. Good stuff.

Can someone please explain the weapon system to me? I don't really know what the stats mean exactly. Like one has Lt 5, Hv 2... Does that mean the weapon sucks at heavy but is better as light? I'm just not sure what weapons to upgrade and use. Amy help is appreciated.

CatPee

Can someone please explain the weapon system to me? I don't really know what the stats mean exactly. Like one has Lt 5, Hv 2... Does that mean the weapon sucks at heavy but is better as light? I'm just not sure what weapons to upgrade and use. Amy help is appreciated.

5 moves in the light attack combo, 2 moves in the heavy combo. Go into Details for each weapon to see what its special ability does.

Ferrio

Banned

That's just how long the combo is. 5 light attacks or 2 heavies. It doesn't mean it suck swith heavy, just that heavy combos have less hits.

edit:
oops I was too late

Yes, upgrading weapons increase the combo #.

ak1337azn

Neo Member
As someone who was left feeling underwhelmed by ending A, can anyone confirm whether the path towards the true ending will contain much more in the way of twists and story revelations? First ending felt very anticlimactic at the end. Had anticipated much more after all the hype surrounding Taro and his games.

Just wanted confirmation, that's all.

killatopak

Gold Member
As someone who was left feeling underwhelmed by ending A, can anyone confirm whether the path towards the true ending will contain much more in the way of twists and story revelations? First ending felt very anticlimactic at the end. Had anticipated much more after all the hype surrounding Taro and his games.

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Route B has quite a few twists but the real star of the show for me is Route C which is full on and like 50% of the narrative.

Whales

Banned

just get to C

:)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Gbraga

Route B alread blew me away a couple of times, but even during Route A I definitely appreciated how much the game made me think. More than any other Yoko Taro game.

It could be argued that it does so at the expense of the strong character drama of the first game, but I can't choose an approach, I think they're both masterpieces in their own ways, and I've always been of the opinion that the best kind of sequel is the one that leaves you completely satisfied, but still wanting to play the previous game. Instead of just surpassing it in every way, it's just different enough that you'll always have reasons to revisit the entire series.

Yoko Taro games have a certain feel that I can't get anywhere else, but other than that they provide very particular experiences, even if similar in some ways (which could be considered his artistic signature).

The best comparison I can think of is Fumito Ueda. His games always feel like Ueda games, but they're all very peculiar, rather than being iterative. Him defining The Last Guardian as a "greatest hits" of sorts got me really worried, but he was just being humble. It's an experience unlike any other.

Hidetaka Miyazaki absolutely nails the feeling of wanting to replay every one of his games no matter how many he makes, but we need to see what's up with his new IP, with no concerns of being similar to Souls, to see how different it can get from the formula, and which elements will still be the same, to create that Miyazaki feel.

Dio

Banned
The best comparison I can think of is Fumito Ueda. His games always feel like Ueda games, but they're all very peculiar, rather than being iterative.

This isn't just from what you're talking about, it's also clear his games echo Ueda in aesthetic, too, and that he's a fan. The washed out look reminds me a lot of Ueda's style.

Gbraga

This isn't just from what you're talking about, it's also clear his games echo Ueda in aesthetic, too, and that he's a fan. The washed out look reminds me a lot of Ueda's style.

Yeah, absolutely. And it's awesome that they kept that for Automata.

Platinum is no stranger to washed out games, but in Bayonetta it never really felt like some particular artistic vision or anything, it just looks washed out. In Automata, there's such a cohesive art direction that the game is still gorgeous. It adds to the atmosphere, instead of just making it look weird.

Espada

Yeah, absolutely. And it's awesome that they kept that for Automata.

Platinum is no stranger to washed out games, but in Bayonetta it never really felt like some particular artistic vision or anything, it just looks washed out. In Automata, there's such a cohesive art direction that the game is still gorgeous. It adds to the atmosphere, instead of just making it look weird.

Yeah, there's been many times where I'm up on a building or in the factory and, well...

It feels like I'm standing in the type of concept art you see in artbooks. The game faithfully recreates the look we see in the art of the games (like the one with 9S overlooking the city ruins).

Oh, I agree 100% about the Bayonetta thing. The first game had this ugly yellow filter over it along with being washed out. It's one of the reasons why I much preferred the follow up's look.

Gbraga

Yeah, there's been many times where I'm up on a building or in the factory and, well...

It feels like I'm standing in the type of concept art you see in artbooks. The game faithfully recreates the look we see in the art of the games (like the one with 9S overlooking the city ruins).

Oh, I agree 100% about the Bayonetta thing. The first game had this ugly yellow filter over it along with being washed out. It's one of the reasons why I much preferred the follow up's look.

I'm still impressed by how much of the initial concept arts ended up in the final game, and how faithfully realized they are.

Koozek

lol

One of the most interesting things about Taro is how his games wear their inspirations on their sleeves, yet rarely feel like they're just aping the source material. And even though he stitches his games together from pieces of other works in and out of the medium, his games are still recognizably his own.

Granted, I do think he was a little too on the nose with
the Eva
inspiration in this one, but Taro's fondness
for Eva
is another one of his charms. :p

I wish there was a New Game+ difficulty that accommodated for you going back and completing side content after beating the game. Even on hard running around in the early missions means enemies can't even damage me and I one shot everything. And insanely hard everything literally one shots you and I still one shot everything. If enemies just scaled in level like they do as you play through the game it'd be mostly fine.

Ascheroth

I wish there was a New Game+ difficulty that accommodated for you going back and completing side content after beating the game. Even on hard running around in the early missions means enemies can't even damage me and I one shot everything. And insanely hard everything literally one shots you and I still one shot everything. If enemies just scaled in level like they do as you play through the game it'd be mostly fine.

I wish the game had a mode that did away with levels entirely, or at least automatically leveled you/adjusted your stats based on the encouter.
Because the balancing really is my only problem with the game.

If you leave the difficulty on Normal and pretend everything is supposed to be braindead easy because the machines are hopelessly outclassed by the androids, it gets a little better.

Top Bottom