• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

gngf123

Okayyy.... route C.

Holy fucking shit.

Do you ever get fast travel? Running from objective to objective is getting super tedious.

Do the quests after getting fast travel - it's pretty early on.

Make sure you've done any multistage quests you want done fairly quickly after that.

Gbraga

AWHJAHT WHAAAAT THEF UCDKAS
KAS

DFJ
APO

SOMEONE STOP YOKO TARO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I JUST STARTED ROUTE C, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck what is going on? 6O's voice talking about the desert rose made it actually hard to continue, Jesus, this is so fucked up. And those hologram girls from Route B are the terminals from the YoRHa play, then? I don't know what's happening anymore.

Why? What is happening?

Did these motherfuckers seriously include
the game's opening credits
in Route C?

gngf123

Seems like a lot of us are hitting route C tonight!

I can seriously see no way anything removes this from my GOTY vote now.

JayDub

I thought there were only 5 "real" endings and the rest were soft endings (as ina black screen and a text).

Ending Y is a real ending? So how many "real" endings are there (with cutscenes)??

LotusHD

Banned
It never gets tiring seeing people's reaction to Route C, haha.

It really never does. It tends to either makes people who were soft on Route A/B get really into it, or make people who already loved the previous routes really into it.

EDIT: Actually no, people who were soft on the previous routes could very well get really into it as well lol

I thought there were only 5 "real" endings and the rest were soft endings (as ina black screen and a text).

Ending Y is a real ending? So how many "real" endings are there (with cutscenes)??

Ending Y is not a real ending, but it isn't a complete throwaway one like the other joke endings.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
suffering [C]ontinues

JayDub

It really never does. It tends to either makes people who were soft on Route A/B get really into it, or make people who already loved the previous routes really into it.

EDIT: Actually no, people who were soft on the previous routes could very well get really into it as well lol

Ending Y is not a real ending, but it isn't a complete throwaway one like the other joke endings.

I see, thank you. Are there any more like Y? Or is that the sole exception?

Gbraga

Route C is "The true Nier Automata starts here"

I was about to post this, not just because of how impactful the opening is, but when you consider how Route B is structured and paced, and how Nier's endings worked, it really feels like they're saying "I hope you enjoyed Nier 2, now welcome to Nier Automata."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a more sensibly constructed and impactful replay/multi-ending game, direction learned over its predecessor. No senseless weapon hunting to unlock an ending; the entire structure is a deliberate, coherent narrative. Meticulously fragmented and paced in a way iconic to Taro's vision for interactive mediums.

gngf123

In hindsight, route B basically serves as an expansion of route A and a complete setup to route C.

I do wish the hacking game had more to it, and that the first half of route B did more to separate itself from A, but route C is definitely more impactful with it there.

Gbraga

Route C early spoilers
corrupted 6O mentioning the Desert Rose hit me fucking harder than I expected

Right? It was REALLY strong.
Does it always happen, or only if you did the sidequest? I was feeling nauseated and in awe at the same time. Similar to when I got the Pascal village ending. It may be true that the game doesn't quite create the deep connection to its characters the first one does, but the emotional reactions it evokes are just so... visceral, for the lack of a better word, that I'm constantly amazed at how much it affects me.

EatChildren

Right? It was REALLY strong.
Does it always happen, or only if you did the sidequest? I was feeling nauseated and in awe at the same time. Similar to when I got the Pascal village ending. It may be true that the game doesn't quite create the deep connection to its characters the first one does, but the emotional reactions it evokes are just so... visceral, for the lack of a better word, that I'm constantly amazed at how much it affects me.

You only get the 6O flower dialogue if you completed the quest.

EdmondD

AWHJAHT WHAAAAT THEF UCDKAS
KAS

DFJ
APO

SOMEONE STOP YOKO TARO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

I JUST STARTED ROUTE C, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck what is going on? 6O's voice talking about the desert rose made it actually hard to continue, Jesus, this is so fucked up. And those hologram girls from Route B are the terminals from the YoRHa play, then? I don't know what's happening anymore.

Why? What is happening?

in Route C?

Holy fuck Yoko Taro!!
tumblr_o15ktbqo2g1spb0xzo2_500.gif

I really should have wrote down the locations of all the locked chests/doors during route A so I can go right to them without having to re-explore.

Might just mainline it then look up a guide for all the collectibles after.

Also side note, is it better to do all the A/B sidequests now or just do them after I fully complete the story? No idea what to expect in terms of twists and what'll give the best impact.
And are any A quests locked out during B or is there 100% crossover?

chrono01

I really should have wrote down the locations of all the locked chests/doors during route A so I can go right to them without having to re-explore.

Also side note, is it better to do all the A/B sidequests now or just do them after I fully complete the story?
From what I can tell, locked chests respawn, at least I'm pretty damn sure I opened up the same one twice during Route B and then again in Route C. I believe the only ones that really matter and can only be opened once or ones with a weapon in them, or piece of Intel.

If so, I guess only concern yourself with those, there shouldn't be that many to track down.

Gbraga

I'm exhausted, I can't continue playing this today anymore. I'll just go to sleep.

Also side note, is it better to do all the A/B sidequests now or just do them after I fully complete the story? No idea what to expect in terms of twists and what'll give the best impact.
And are any A quests locked out during B or is there 100% crossover?

Get the chip Item Scan, you can buy it during B and chests will appear on your minimap with it equipped.

From what I can tell, locked chests respawn, at least I'm pretty damn sure I opened up the same one twice during Route B and then again in Route C. I believe the only ones that really matter and can only be opened once or ones with a weapon in them, or piece of Intel.

If so, I guess only concern yourself with those, there shouldn't be that many to track down.

Well from what I've opened so far they've been like 80% archive items :p

Get the chip Item Scan, you can buy it during B and chests will appear on your minimap with it equipped.

Oooh I had a quick look at the vendor and saw chips related to hacking enemies and stuff but should've been more thorough because I went right past that.

Will go back and buy that ASAP.

chrono01

Well from what I've opened so far they've been like 80% archive items :p

Oooh I had a quick look at the vendor and saw chips related to hacking enemies and stuff but should've been more thorough because I went right past that.

Will go back and buy that ASAP.
Yeah, a lot of them contain important items but some have restorative items and the like.

The aforementioned chip definitely helps, but you can't see them on the world map itself only the minimap. Definitely better than nothing though!

It's a more sensibly constructed and impactful replay/multi-ending game, direction learned over its predecessor. No senseless weapon hunting to unlock an ending; the entire structure is a deliberate, coherent narrative. Meticulously fragmented and paced in a way iconic to Taro's vision for interactive mediums.

I disagree.
Endings C, D, and E are awkwardly shotgunned at you, and as a result only ending E really gets the breathing space it needs and deserves. Given that chapter select opens up after your first ending, I think this might be one of the few areas where Taro made concessions for accessibility. Most likely, he wanted players to have to go back and complete all the sidequests before unlocking ending E. The desperate plea from Sony after ending A lends credence to this. They really, really wanted players to reach ending E.

As for Nier, the weapon collection requirement doesn't serve an immediate purpose in-universe, but it helped pace the game and establish a strong bond between the player and the game so that their sacrifice at the end of D would have weight to it.

Golnei

Haha no it was
after you get to the robot village and a goliath machine attacks.
I wanted to go do the inventor side quest first so went the other way and got a '9S and 2B ran away and everyone died' ending.

I had a similar thing happen with the beginning of route C -
after 2B had her corruption sequence, I got distracted by a shiny collectible and was met with "Questionable Actions".
Doing that part again wasn't a great deal of fun...

except MGSV doesn't stick the landing. Also its
part b
trailer is way too extensive

I wasn't comparing the degree to which the games actually deliver on their narratives.

chrono01

I had a similar thing happen with the beginning of route C -
after 2B had her corruption sequence, I got distracted by a shiny collectible and was met with "Questionable Actions".
Doing that part again wasn't a great deal of fun...
LOL! The same exact thing happened to me. >_<

TissueBox

in Route C?

That was beautiful wasn't it. ^^'

Yea the storytelling herein is his most refined yet in general I think, which makes a very competent package. Nier's story is more a tour de force of raw pathos, though, in the wake of wonkiness and some excessive farming. :p

burgerdog

Holy fucking shit i have no words for what is happening in the first 90 minutes of C. Jesus christ I need a break. How is this possible

killatopak

Gold Member
Is it possible to change the title screen after the
Lunar Tears sidequest? I want to set it back to normal so my brother won't be spoiled by it when he starts up the game, because that was a big moment for me.
Playing on Steam.

I only played the ps4 version but if you try to upload it to the cloud there is a separate systems file save. There should be something like that on pc that you can probably backup and delete.

There is a destroyed building in the flooded city with a couple of chests on it that is off by itself and I have no clue how up get there. Even decked out with movement mods I still can't reach it. What's the trick?

Personally what I did was add evasion chips. Jumped once dashed then let pod throw me then add a few swings of the sword so I made the distance.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So how punishing is the souls bloodstain mechanic? On the surface, it seems like losing your entire inventory is enough to crater you in the mid/late game, but obviously not... right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So how punishing is the souls bloodstain mechanic? On the surface, it seems like losing your entire inventory is enough to crater you in the mid/late game, but obviously not... right?
Not entire inventory. It's more like losing your armor and rings, and all of it is replaceable/farmable/purchasable. The game is much more lenient than Souls, even on Hard.

EatChildren

Not so punishing that it breaks the game as yeah, everything you've got can be purchased or dropped. But you'll definitely feel the dint, mainly if you've been using a plugin as a crutch. Like Overclock.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Not entire inventory. It's more like losing your armor and rings, and all of it is replaceable/farmable/purchasable. The game is much more lenient than Souls, even on Hard.
I'm imagining playing Bayonetta but with farming involved because a certain boss might be too hard without the extra damage/armor. Is this the case?

Ferrio

Banned

Not punishing at all, you can always just reload your last save if you don't retrieve your body. There's no auto saving.

The body retrieval let's you have a second chance before having to reload like you would in normal jrpgs.

Top Bottom