• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Exentryk

Question about Emil:
The first time we meet him in his shop, he'll tell us that he lives down below, very very deep. Is it just a flavor dialogue or do we get to go there?

You can
go there, in all routes. Good luck finding it.

Voliko

I forgot that was an option, good to know. The fight almost becomes a parody with how many
character switches
there are near the end, but maybe that's how it normally is.
It is really silly how often that happens at the end, if I didn't have so many health items I would have been dead

Tecl0n

Before getting E, i've been finishing sidequests and:
Damn, Pascal denies the nuclear documentation out of fear/lack of self control. He's such a good lad, why he gotta go through all that shit.

Gbraga

EDIT: You know, it's important to give credit to the fact that they're putting so much of the scattered information on that universe in the game. It's easy to not think about it too much when you're a fan and know all that stuff already, but before Automata, some pretty important stuff was relegated to things like Drama CDs, and while that's fine for a game that is done and not being revisited with DLC or whatever, it's no good when you have a sequel that uses the story of that CD as an important part of the world's history.

Having even a little cutscene to talk about
Emil's clones to fight the aliens
was pretty awesome. And I keep going back to that location in the desert to see if anything will change, haha, it's still one of my favorite moments in the game, just stumbling on that.

You're right.
The entrance is there somewhere.

It's nearby.

Good enough! I'll find that shit.

Koozek

I have been converted.

I never thought much of the original NieR's soundtrack, but I just had a transformative experience watching last April's live concert for the first time.

;___;

I need to find a console that can play this fucking game. remake pls

On a more related note, I was shocked by how much of Automata was 100% complete so early. I didn't even remember the game's trailer from that concert, and having beaten the game more times than I can count, it's almost Death Stranding-esque in the way that you can tell the game was basically fully formed in Yoko Taro's mind for years.
Wait.

What is wrong with you?

Probably close to the end of Route A:
Copied City is
really beautiful. And the music there is amazing. Loved the long
shmup section in the Sunken City on hard.
. That part was a great challenge on hard (two hits kill you) if you refrain breaking it with OP healing plug-in chips

Wrapped up Route A last night at 22 hours.

Liked it, didn't love it. Worried about getting through B since it's largely the same stuff. Forcing myself through because I want to see some crazy story stuff.

Worry less, play more.

Trust me, I'm trying. Really had to force myself through the rest of A. I'm not sure what it is, really. I like the game well enough - the combat is so much fun.

I think right now it's a mix of no story and bland environments. And lots of backtracking through old areas.

But I know the story complaints aren't warranted since it doesn't get rolling until C.

J_Viper

Wrapped up Route A last night at 22 hours.

Liked it, didn't love it. Worried about getting through B since it's largely the same stuff. Forcing myself through because I want to see some crazy story stuff.

B is mostly a complete waste of time, but push through, trust me.

C is NUTS so far

If you wanna get through it faster, and I'm thinking you do, drop the difficulty to Easy and turn on all the auto chips.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I have a question about late game stuff
when you are choosing which pods pick an android, 9S and A2, does your choice have some greater consequences

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Fix your spoiler tags.

I think it matters in that you get different quests (don't quote me on this. I don't really know), but the end result remains the same anyway.

Just pick A2 as much as you can because you're eventually forced to explore 9S route.

People think Route A and B is aimless but I actually think that it adds a lot of context and explores a lot of themes that are going to be more important later on.

Golnei

Even hearing it was the weakest of the paths, I didn't mind route B -
it didn't reveal anything especially shocking, but I liked the additional narrative bits, worldbuilding and new transitional scenes even if they weren't worked into the part of the chapter shared between A and B that elegantly. The increasingly complex shmup sections were a nice change of pace too, but I especially love how the virtual spaces were used for narrative delivery in sequences like 9S' reboots, the exploration of the machine consciousness and Yorha server bit. Speaking of which; my opinion on Adam remains unchanged - the segment after the carrier mission is genuinely intriguing before he shows up with his insipid "WE'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT, YOU AND I" wank. And to make matters worse, the one saving grace of the exchange - the line about wanting to fuck 2B - is totally neutered by the decision to use a Replicant-esque comedy censor. I desperately hope I'll be seeing less of the twins in the remainder of the game.

Also, seeing how they
grouped them together in the preview for 'season 2',
should I be doing anything in particular (100% weapons etc.) to get ending D, or is just continuing from C going to be enough?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And to make matters worse, the one saving grace of the exchange - the line about wanting to fuck 2B - is totally neutered by the decision to use a Replicant-esque comedy censor. I desperately hope I'll be seeing less of the twins in the remainder of the game.

Don't worry, they don't really show up anymore.

But I want you to think back to this line after everything else has happened.

Also yeah, no weapons completion needed.

Also, seeing how they
grouped them together in the preview for 'season 2',
should I be doing anything in particular (100% weapons etc.) to get ending D, or is just continuing from C going to be enough?

Just play. No need to worry about that for routes.

Metaroo

Golden Bunny statue in the amusement park with 9S. Hack into a robot, then hack into the bunny itself.

I've tried to do this a couple of times, but I can't lock onto the statue,
even when hacked into a robot. Has this been patched or something? Is there anywhere else I can go?

LotusHD

Banned
I've tried to do this a couple of times, but I can't lock onto the statue,
even when hacked into a robot. Has this been patched or something? Is there anywhere else I can go?

Try killing like basically all the other robots where the statue, but leave one alive to hack of course. Also slowly move it around for different angles until you're able to do it. Sometimes it's weird like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try killing like basically all the other robots where the statue, but leave one alive to hack of course. Also slowly move it around for different angles until you're able to do it. Sometimes it's weird like that.
easiest way to reliably hack the golden statue is to take control ones of the big robots, use it to clear the area, then hack into the golden robot.

I advise against grinding on this because being overleveled ruins the game somewhat.

Metaroo

easiest way to reliably hack the golden statue is to take control ones of the big robots, use it to clear the area, then hack into the golden robot.

I advise against grinding on this because being overleveled ruins the game somewhat.

I've already beat the game through Ending E! And I'll try and clear the area before trying to hack in.

J_Viper

Out of curiosity, how long is Route C if were to mainline?

Also, is Route C the last main route? If Route D is just another repetition with two different cut-scenes, I'll just YouTube the remaining endings.

Hektor

Out of curiosity, how long is Route C if were to mainline?

Also, is Route C the last main route? If Route D is just another repetition, I'll just YouTube the remaining endings.

Route C is roughly the same length as A but with less sidequests. D+E do not feature any repetition

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Really liking Route C so far. Ended up playing most of the morning instead of being productive lol

Metaroo

Still can't target the statue unfortunately. Cleared the entire area all the way down to the corridor near the gate to the Disney Castle. This is weird.

Ugh,

Spent hours combing
the desert
for (late route A) side quest
Heritage of the Past. After I finally find the last one, I got ambushed by a bunch of super tough enemies who I fight for twenty or so hours and then the game crashed. Guess I'll have to do all that again. Fun.

Haly

Still can't target the statue unfortunately. Cleared the entire area all the way down to the corridor near the gate to the Disney Castle. This is weird.
1) you only need to clear the area around the statue
2) you cannot hack into it as 9S you need to hack while you're remote piloting a machine

Steveo

Banned
I really like Nier... and I just got done with finishing Nioh, then Horizon... and now going to Nier i have one big issue.

The map and menus. I'm I the only one who thinks the map is just cumbersome? Maybe it's because I played so much Horizon recently. But I always find myself hitting the one button, or hitting a button tone too many times, and the map just takes too many button presses to get to.

Otherwise great game, but the menu UI and Map are annoying me a lot more than it should.

Haly

If you open the menu to the first page and use either bumper, the binds for zoom in/zoom out, it will switch to map mode without having to go through quick save.

Metaroo

1) you only need to clear the area around the statue
2) you cannot hack into it as 9S you need to hack while you're remote piloting a machine

Currently hacked into the big robot and I'm still unable to target the statue :( Is there a point of no return for being able to hack it without aggroing it??

LotusHD

Banned
Currently hacked into the big robot and I'm still unable to target the statue :( Is there a point of no return for being able to hack it without aggroing it??

You should Youtube real it or something. And there's no point of no return. You hack it, then kill it through hacking/attacking, then save and do it again until you're at the level you want to be.

LotusHD

Banned
ok, got them much more easily this time.

But who the fuck thought that (the searching part) would be a fun idea for a quest, lol

QZZw7am.gif

killatopak

Gold Member
Finally got plat at 56 hours.

Damn. What a ride. Ending Y made me get the feels.

Edit:
You know what I hate about the map the most? There's no compass. I don't know what's north or south. The map moves along with your character's camera as well so it can get a bit confusing.

Top Bottom