• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Just did the
Amusement Park
It's like some messed up fever dream, so strange.

Anyway, a few questions.
If an item says it can be exchanged for money can I safely sell it?

Should I not bother hoarding items in case I die a lot? And what exactly is lost upon death?

Is there any point to not pray over dead androids aside from being a dick?

Yep, it's safe to sell, including Machine Cores.

I don't know what you mean by hoarding items. You mean your plug-in chips?

When you die, you lose your chips you have equipped. You have to retrieve your body without dying, otherwise you'll lose them permanently.

I don't know, I forgot what the network functions for this game allowed you to do tbh (Doesn't work consistently where I live lol)

Freshmire

Yep, it's safe to sell, including Machine Cores.

I don't know what you mean by hoarding items. You mean your plug-in chips?

When you die, you lose your chips you have equipped. You have to retrieve your body without dying, otherwise you'll lose them permanently.

I don't know, I forgot what the network functions for this game allowed you to do tbh (Doesn't work consistently where I live lol)

Thanks, I thought maybe I would lose recovery items and such upon death.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The japanese version is in this broken state for almost two weeks now. Speaking of, this issue is appearently not isolated to the english script, other languages, including japanese, can suffer from this glitch as well.

And there are a bunch of other physics and framerate related issues that can crop up, that weren't there before.

Interesting....that could explain also why to me at times the movement and combat felt a bit choppy that I don't remember the demo having when I tried it on PSN.

The million dollar question that no one knows the answer to lol, if the Japanese version with the same patch has had these exact issues for 2 weeks, why the hell would they patch the US version a day or so ago with the same broken patch??!!

Interesting....that could explain also why to me at times the movement and combat felt a bit choppy that I don't remember the demo having when I tried it on PSN.

The million dollar question that no one knows the answer to lol, if the Japanese version with the same patch has had these exact issues for 2 weeks, why the hell would they patch the US version a day or so ago with the same broken patch??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UFQWKjy_I

Backing up a bit to the start of the game: am I the only one who, seriously, got no vibrations at all during the "testing"?

I forgot all about it for a while because I figured it was a joke, but now I realized that after 12 hours I've never had any vibrations, period. I'm using a 360 controller if it matters.

MrHoot

Yo i've been combing both here and the spoiler thread but I can't find that picture of the stubby cosplay, if someone would be so kind to send it to me or repost it here

Golnei

Yo i've been combing both here and the spoiler thread but I can't find that picture of the stubby cosplay, if someone would be so kind to send it to me or repost it here

Is it this one?

tumblr_oo2sn6ck4H1us35n1o1_1280.jpg

Wagram

Holy shit. For kicks and giggles I decided to see what the resale value on the Collector's Edition is now. It's selling for upwards of a $1,000. What the shit!? Even the figure alone is near $500.

The thirst is real. Glad I bought one (not selling though. 'tis MINE).

EdmondD

Ooo. The link to the written write up is a good read. The events surrounding the collapse of civilization, WCS, the Legion, and Red Eye leading up to the events of the original NieR are so unsettling. I'd love to see a Taro Yoko game set in this era.

It was supposed to be a game. They said they had enough material for two games. I think they never got the funding for it. At this point I suspect Taro has moved on from that particular story however I would not be surprised to see some of those story elements show up in future games.

It was supposed to be a game. They said they had enough material for two games. I think they never got the funding for it. At this point I suspect Taro has moved on from that particular story however I would not be surprised to see some of those story elements show up in future games.

There's speculation that his manga, Thou Shall Not Die, takes place during that time period, but there's no hard proof yet.

Holy shit. For kicks and giggles I decided to see what the resale value on the Collector's Edition is now. It's selling for upwards of a $1,000. What the shit!? Even the figure alone is near $500.

Shit... I could resell my black box for that much?

But yeah... this is one that I want to keep.

Ferr986

Welp, started Route C
shit really went down, isn't it? I guess that 2 kids that popped at the end of Route B were the virus preparing to fuck shit up? Also where does such a thing comes from?

I guess 2B death didn't got me as much as some people because I really didn't care much about her, but it was very well done, Yoko Taro style.

Choose to play as A2 first, and her first dialogue with the pod was amazing lol

LotusHD

Banned
Welp, started Route C
shit really went down, isn't it? I guess that 2 kids that popped at the end of Route B were the virus preparing to fuck shit up? Also where does such a thing comes from?

I guess 2B death didn't got me as much as some people because I really didn't care much about her, but it was very well done, Yoko Taro style.

Choose to play as A2 first, and her first dialogue with the pod was amazing lol

I recommend sticking with her until they force you to play as 9S.

13ruce

Banned
Man the combat and music is amazing in this game and that amusement park setting is so good.

This game will certainly be added to the top most games i like and love if this keeps up.

But really the music is insanely good same for combat, Square Enix did the right thing to give this game series another change.

Platinum + Square Enix is one of the dream teams hopefully they do more in the future!

Story so far also is pretty interesting and i was afraid the enemies would be dull with the design but i kinda like them now
especially how they change based on location, behave different etc.

So my impressions so far are fantastic game:p

Edit: 2B is cool af btw combat feels like stylish dancing at times.

Crayon

Wow.

Jiraiza

It's cheaper to just get the Japanese BB on Yahoo JP Auctions instead, ha.

Though, this means I better get my pre-order for the 2B Flare figure as soon as it becomes available.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While I appreciated the narrative going into much more of a philosophical and psychological realm, abstraction and interpretation only take me so far. I think it's interesting to talk about the things that Taro brings up: the machine intelligence and evolution or whether there was anything clearly there or whether it was still within the overall spectrum of their design, the similarities between the androids and the machines and the questions of fate, memory and so forth, but ultimately there are no answers to those questions. For me, the strongest narrative moments in the game were the ones that hit the narratively emotional moments: Pascal's story, the Operators, Devola and Popola (their final moments with the vocal Song of the Ancients and subsequent story totally hit me) etc. Having said that, Playthrough B which was similar to New Game + in the original seemed less impactful (i.e. Simone and Adam/Eve vs. Roc, P-33, Hansel and Gretel) overall.

Probably best to bring this to the spoiler thread but
i think it's been made pretty clear that the machines grew beyond their original directive.
Also the game isn't about fate or memory, though i think they're pretty clear on those 2 subjects.
It really is more an exploration of how growing sentient beings seek to create societal structures, relationships, the good, the bad, and ultimately why we do it, and how we find our own meaning of existence in this ultimately meaningless world. Ending e would not have been as powerful otherwise.

Probably best to bring this to the spoiler thread but
i think it's been made pretty clear that the machines grew beyond their original directive.
Also the game isn't about fate or memory, though i think they're pretty clear on those 2 subjects.
It really is more an exploration of how growing sentient beings seek to create societal structures, relationships, the good, the bad, and ultimately why we do it, and how we find our own meaning of existence in this ultimately meaningless world. Ending e would not have been as powerful otherwise.

Yes and no:
I think that Taro keeps it intentionally ambiguous. You get the feeling that the machines go beyond their directive say with Adam and Eve, and ending D specifically but then there's those reports of the machines growing in the same way, doing the same activities again even if they fail. They emulate behavior, which can seem seemingly complex even. They can build a society, or emulate a Kingdom without any real understanding of why or how. Or is it deeper? Maybe, maybe not. How do we not know that the actions towards the end of the game are still not within that directive? We don't. And while I agree about the interpretation of sentience and society and so forth, but is that still within a construct that's just based on emulation though. Again, what I would argue is that we can't be sure and we don't know and I think Taro is keeping things open. I don't think it's as open and shut as you claim it to be.

In terms of fate and memory, it's not a main point, but c'mon. It's Taro and the game as a whole is pretty damn layered. 2B in particular and her repeated fate with 9S in particular again is a point that is brought up throughout the course of its repeated playthroughs.

But yeah, this is probably best left for the spoiler thread.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, bring it over there. Always need more nier talk haha.

But still,
isn't it said that humanity is always doomed to repeat history?
;)

Not that I really think that is the message really, but I do think that part of the themes is the cyclical nature of conflict. After all, the machine consciousness is said to be a better evolved version of humanity seeing that they have a collected consciousness, but the more they grew the more they started repeating the same mistakes of humanity Or is it a mistake in the first place?

But yeah.

Spoiler thread.

Gbraga

Did they include
an entire novelization of the YoRHa play?
That's insane. Just got the first part. Let's continue.

Edit: 2B is cool af btw combat feels like stylish dancing at times.

I love how that actually makes sense in the story, when you do Jackass' quests.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just got ending E. God damn this game.

Edit: Still kind of processing everything that happened. Was not expecting any of that.

burgerdog

Just beat C. Question

I went into the debug room from the main menu and after loading my game I got thrown into the intro section. I am confused. Is this normal and what should I do now?

LotusHD

Banned
Just beat C. Question

I went into the debug room from the main menu and after loading my game I got thrown into the intro section. I am confused. Is this normal and what should I do now?

Use chapter select, and fight as 9S this time in the Route C climax.

Timeaisis

Just finished the
copied city
and noticed
sidequests were locked.
I'm assuming I'm near the end of route A at this point?

Also, that was definitely the best boss so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just finished the
copied city
and noticed
sidequests were locked.
I'm assuming I'm near the end of route A at this point?

Also, that was definitely the best boss so far.

Near-ish.

Yeah I love Adam. Both as a character and as a boss.

Grisby

The OST is better than the first game imo, and is easily the best I've heard this year. At the very least, I think those who've beaten the game would find it difficult to argue how utterly dynamic and well used the OST is within this game.

As for the endings, it's not about pursuing it or something you think about maybe doing. You literally need to in order to complete the entire game. Five routes, A-E. The other letters of the alphabet are joke endings, although Ending Y isn't a complete throwaway. Regarding the main routes/endings, it's much more straightforward as opposed to what the first game made you do. The entire game is around 40-50 hours.
Thanks for the fine info. I'm so looking forward to the Platinum combat.

Might be a little tipsy (edited)

Edit- Any major back story I should know? Like go refresh my memory on what happens at the end of Nier 1 and Kaine and all that stuff?

Golnei

Edit- Any major back story I should know? Like go refresh my memory on what happens at the end of Nier 1 and Kaine and all that stuff?

They do a good job of bringing up everything necessary in the game itself - even smaller details that were previously only in spinoff media like Grimoire Nier, that drama CD or the YoRHa play are provided when relevant.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Finally got to start this over the weekend and now it's the only thing I want to play. Between the story music and combat everything feels good and has it's place after probably 15 hours I finished the castle area and I feel like I'm getting close to ending a I dont want it to end yet

Battlechili

Banned
I just got Ending A and honestly...I'm disappointed.

This isn't the game I was expecting it to be. I know its not the end of the game yet and there's still more story to tell, but even the original Nier had a satisfying first ending. This ending doesn't feel satisfying at all and the game feels largely rushed and unfinished. For example, I don't think enough time was spent between the characters for
2B to care as much as she does about 9S. I feel as if the ending was contrived. I can't take her care of 9S seriously when so little time was spent between them and they barely talked to each other.
This isn't at all like Papa Nier's interactions with Kaine and/or Weiss. Those characters talked a lot throughout the series and learned more and more about each other as they spent time with one another, and reason was given for why the characters acted the way they did.
Emil's suffering felt real.

Here its all just....I couldn't feel anything for these characters. It wasn't sad. Taro games are supposed to depress me. I can't take these character interactions seriously in Automata. And I didn't even know I was at the final boss of the game once I got to it. I don't even know what the plot of this game was for Ending A.

Also gameplay wise, I feel like there weren't enough fun bosses. The fights against all the big robots were really fun, but the fights against Adam and Eve were boring and dull and largely just spent standing away shooting at them until they die while dodging their attacks. They're so small they're unimpressive to look at, and they didn't do any really crazy attacks to make them interesting. I wanted more fights like the opera boss or the kaiju. 

Antiwhippy

I'll just say this.

Don't think of A as an ending.

Also,

Your concerns will be answered by the end.

It's not really the same structure as the original nier, even though it might posture like it.

Like the writing is kinda backwards in a way, but I'll say this, the character interactions make total sense.

LotusHD

Banned

This isn't the game I was expecting it to be. I know its not the end of the game yet and there's still more story to tell, but even the original Nier had a satisfying first ending. This ending doesn't feel satisfying at all and the game feels largely rushed and unfinished. For example, I don't think enough time was spent between the characters for
2B to care as much as she does about 9S. I feel as if the ending was contrived. I can't take her care of 9S seriously when so little time was spent between them and they barely talked to each other.
This isn't at all like Papa Nier's interactions with Kaine and/or Weiss. Those characters talked a lot throughout the series and learned more and more about each other as they spent time with one another, and reason was given for why the characters acted the way they did.

Here its all just....I couldn't feel anything for these characters. It wasn't sad. Taro games are supposed to depress me. I can't take these character interactions seriously in Automata. And I didn't even know I was at the final boss of the game once I got to it. I don't even know what the plot of this game was for Ending A.

Also gameplay wise, I feel like there weren't enough fun bosses. The fights against all the big robots were really fun, but the fights against Adam and Eve were boring and dull and largely just spent standing away shooting at them until they die while dodging their attacks. They're so small they're unimpressive to look at, and they didn't do any really crazy attacks to make them interesting. I wanted more fights like the opera boss or the kaiju. 

Regarding Route A feeling disappointing.. keep playing. :p

dante_f

For the spoiler play ending c they explain everything.
For the bosses you need to play on hard. The leveling system is broken/ to easy on normal

Battlechili

Banned
All right, I'll keep playing and try to hold off before judging it so harshly. I know there's more to this game and the original Nier's quality jumped by leaps and bounds once the 2nd playthrough happened, so I probably should wait before passing judgement.
For the spoiler play ending c they explain everything.
For the bosses you need to play on hard. The leveling system is broken/ to easy on normal
I've been playing on Hard, actually.
I don't think the game is well balanced in that regard either. Normal is hilariously easy and enemies let you walk right up to them, but on Hard you die in 1-2 hits and enemies are extremely aggressive. But I could live with that; I just don't like how you had so many fights against Adam and Eve.

LotusHD

Banned
I wonder how a replay on Hard would be if I just primarily focused on Defense in order to offset the whole "1-2 hits you're dead" thing. Probably would've been more interesting than playing on Normal for the entire duration at the very least.

I wonder how a replay on Hard would be if I just primarily focused on Defense in order to offset the whole "1-2 hits you're dead" thing. Probably would've been more interesting than playing on Normal for the entire duration at the very least.
That's what I was doing on my replay - max HP, +def, etc with zero offensive chips. I definitely enjoyed it more than Normal and default Hard, but it falls into some of the same pitfalls as Normal, like infinite healing items, spammable dodge, lack of aggression in bosses, and the shooter segments are still a cakewalk.

Antiwhippy

Like I kinda prefer the gameplay be easy-going? I feel like anything that can really put a roadblock on your progress through the story is probably a bad thing.

Top Bottom