• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

1. All weapons of the a type have the same moveset. The more you upgrade your weapons, the more you add to the move set of said weapon, though I think the demo had them all unlocked already.
2. Haven't played A2 yet, but 9S you only use 1 weapon per set, but your triangle is reserved for hacking the monster. You can make them blow up, rewire them to attack other robots, or control it directly.
3. No magic so far?
4. I haven't really seen any other chip that modifies the properties of an attack other than shockwave. But that's just me.

Thanks.
By magic i meant pod skills.
About the combos, well thats disappointing.

jonjonaug

For the quest where you need to find the Lunar Tears in the game world, how do you get to the one in the desert? I'm right in the search zone, but there's a wall in my way where I think the Tear is, but I can find no way over it.

LotusHD

Banned
Side stuff is really strong so far, like properl world building going on .

I'm so happy that people think that. Sidequests are just steadily becoming just as important as the main story for me nowadays. The game seems stellar on all the other fronts that matter to me, so this was the last big thing I was curious about.

Jackass is really good. Her quests have me laughing a whole lot.

I've seen a little bit of what she makes you do, and yea, seems pretty amusing lol

Played up until the Opera boss we saw in the E3 trailer, but I can't even last past the second missile barrage on hard... Should I be grinding my level somewhere? I'm right around level 9 or 10.

I also had some issues with
the humanoid machine in the desert too, used almost all my health items and died multiple times before beating him.
So many things are One Hit Kills in Hard mode...

Crayon

Played up until the Opera boss we saw in the E3 trailer, but I can't even last past the second missile barrage on hard... Should I be grinding my level somewhere? I'm right around level 9 or 10.

the humanoid machine in the desert too, used almost all my health items and died multiple times before beating him.

How do you feel about the difficulty here? Was is ramping up to this hard or does it seem like there was a spike in difficulty to you?

Jiraiza

Thanks.
By magic i meant pod skills.
About the combos, well thats disappointing.

Pod skills are cool. There aren't that much, though. You can count them with two hands. Actually, there might be more, since my game says only 53% and I have about 10 right now.

Nice. Btw, do you remember that burst damage in the demo against first boss, is that still possible in the full game?

Spoiler that.

A fair amount of things were nerfed in the game. You can't traverse fast with those lunge jumps and do the cancels anymore (except the jump + weak attack). And you can't jump over that high bridge, either. The demo actually gave you the full moveset for the small and large swords, so you actually have less at the beginning. I think you can still do a ton of damage but maybe a bit less than the demo?

I discovered a few other bugs when I finished the first ending, though. Funny ones.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
About four hours in and I'm loving it. Surprised how NieR it is which is amazing. Early details / speculation follows.
I assume the 'robots' have the human souls in them or something like that? It's kind of like we've started from after ending A in NieR. It's pretty disturbing at times. Especially with the constant 'don't think about it / just keep slashing' commentary. I loved the boss (?) that levelled up as you fought them.
It's certainly a sequel to NieR with solid combat and another amazing soundtrack. Can't wait to get back to it.

Edit: Just for reference expect hard to really be hard. I jumped back down to normal for the first run through which can still be a challenge but is more comfortable

bodine1231

I can't stand how when you run the camera drops all the way to the ground,I'm constantly having to move it up.

Also the greyed out bars at the top and bottom of the screen during some scenes is distracting,either go full black bars or leave it off.

Exentryk

A fair amount of things were nerfed in the game. You can't traverse fast with those lunge jumps and do the cancels anymore (except the jump + weak attack). And you can't jump over that high bridge, either. The demo actually gave you the full moveset for the small and large swords, so you actually have less at the beginning.

Okay, cool. Makes sense they tightened it up after the demo. All good!

I did it at level 10.really fantastic boss.

How do you feel about the difficulty here? Was is ramping up to this hard or does it seem like there was a spike in difficulty to you?

Honestly, I only ever played the demo on Normal, but it felt a bit easy so I decided to try challenging myself by playing on hard.

Admittedly, I've been having issues since the first mission, so many attacks do 80-90% of your health on Hard Mode, and some of the harder hitting attacks outright kill you in one shot.

I mean, on one hand it makes it super tense and fulfilling to nail all the dodges and beat a boss or take out numerous enemies, but on the other, it's frustrating if you keep dying to the same one-hit-killshot multiple times.

I went on a bit of a tangent there, but to answer your question: There wasn't a spike in difficulty so much as I'm just not the best at playing on hard. It seems to be ramping up fairly smoothly; Hard Mode is just really punishing if you mess up.

Still trying to decide if I appreciate the challenge or would rather play on Normal.

I did it at level 10.really fantastic boss.

It's so satisfying to play.

(Now I just need to see if I can stop dying on it.)

Jiraiza

Honestly, I only ever played the demo on Normal, but it felt a bit too easy so I decided to try challenging myself by playing on hard.

Admittedly, I've been having issues since the first mission, so many attacks do 80-90% of your health on Hard Mode, and some of the harder hitting attacks outright kill you in one shot.

I mean, on one hand it makes it super tense and fulfilling to nail all the dodges and beat a boss or take out numerous enemies, but on the other, it's frustrating if you keep dying to the same one-hit-killshot multiple times.

I went on a bit of a tangent there, but to answer your question: There wasn't a spike in difficulty so much as I'm just not the best on hard. It seems to be ramping up fairly smoothly; Hard Mode is just really punishing if you mess up.

Best thing to do is stock up on melee/range defense or HP up chips if you're having trouble. Or just try 30+ times until you prevail like I did.

The difficulty spike is the start of the game, where death costs you half hour of your time , for some ridiculous reason . It's honestly pretty normal after that, with a few one shot moves.p

wmlk

The side quest writing not design was a big strength in the fist game
100%. The Lighthouse side quest for example is just some dumb fetch quest to an interesting looking location, but the story behind the letters is what made it memorable. The side quest to get Popola and Devola drunk at the tavern was another dumb fetch quest but it's probably my favourite side quest in all of video games because of the reward, which isn't some dumb item like you'd expect. I'd expect the same deal here and would be disappointed if it's not like that.

Crayon

Honestly, I only ever played the demo on Normal, but it felt a bit too easy so I decided to try challenging myself by playing on hard.

I went on a bit of a tangent there, but to answer your question: There wasn't a spike in difficulty so much as I'm just not the best on hard. It seems to be ramping up fairly smoothly; Hard Mode is just really punishing if you mess up.

Okay. Does is seem like you have avenues to level yourself enough to get by? Like getting leveled enough to survive a hit of the one-shot attack?

Okay. Does is seem like you have avenues to level yourself enough to get by? Like getting leveled enough to survive a hit of the one-shot attack?

Yeah, there are places to grind, money to fis- I mean gather, weapons/pods/chips to upgrade/combine.

It's not like I'm stuck at a boss & can't progress at all, definitely not.

Slater

Banned
Annnnndddddddd done.

images

mmmmmm that's some sweet pain from good story

Crayon

The difficulty spike is the start of the game, where death costs you half hour of your time , for some ridiculous reason . It's honestly pretty normal after that, with a few one shot moves.p

Yeah, there are places to grind, money to fis- I mean gather, weapons/pods/chips to upgrade/combine.

It's not like I'm stuck at a boss & can't progress at all, definitely not.

Thanks for insights! :3

LotusHD

Banned
I wonder, should this be considered a spoiler?

I mean, they tried to keep it a secret, but published a screenshot showing
A2 being played,
so...

They have never made it out to be a secret as far as I know. There was one this weird moment where they were being coy concerning A2, but as you pointed out, that screenshot clearly showed otherwise, so yea...

They have never made it out to be a secret.

I distinctly remember at least one interview where people have asked if we'd be able to play as A2 or other characters and they specifically said "Oh you'll have to wait and see."

I mainly remember because not 10 minutes later did someone link the image of A2 being played to call them on their bluff.

Ah well, it's been shown, and adds credence to the longevity of the game, so it's probably fine.

Top Bottom