• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
I distinctly remember at least one interview where people have asked if we'd be able to play as A2 or other characters and they specifically said "Oh you'll have to wait and see."

I mainly remember because not 10 minutes later did someone link the image of A2 being played to call them on their bluff.

Ah well, it's been shown, and adds credence to the longevity of the game, so it's probably fine.

Yea I know, I'm pretty sure that was me lol, I recall using the link in order to question why they were being coy to begin with.

Did I see someone mention a reversible cover for the us version? Or did I misread/misremember?

Reversible cover is the one that Japanese version has

Leeness

Annnnndddddddd done.

images

mmmmmm that's some sweet pain from good story

Can you type out the entire story? ...plz. 🙏

LotusHD

Banned
I'm so happy about the soundtrack. It's incredible and there's so much of it. I know some people were worried before release but it's been perfect so far

People were really worried? I mean, other than wondering if it'd surpass the first game's, I had no doubts that it'd be fantastic since the E3 boss battle.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
People were really worried? I mean, other than wondering if it'd surpass the first game's, I had no doubts that it'd be fantastic since the E3 boss battle.
Me too but I guess they didn't show much in the previews so people thought there might not be many tracks? Not sure but it doesn't matter because it turned out so good anyway

Slater

Banned
Welp, we gonna need those impressions, a quick rating of 1-10, etc. etc., please don't leave us hanging lmao
No pressure lol

lol sure

Pros:
Character: 2B/9S/A2 are all great and don't disappoint. Adam and Eve tie into the themes of the game well. One of the pods later on is also AMAZING.

Good dub

Combat (platinum)

Sidequests:Good writing and world building.

Exploration is rewarding

Kept the wacky side stuff and genre switches the game has fun in between the sads

The twist isn't the obvious one when it comes to robots in fiction

Builds on the themes of the first Nier using Robots/Androids in a thematically consistent and satisfying way

MUSSSIIIIIIICCCCCC

Ending uses all of the above well coupled with a fantastic callback to the original game

Cons:
2B is cool but the weakest of the trio, she facilitates there growth more then her own.

The second play through can drag till the later half in a way that's noticeable

9.5/10 GOTY, the worthy sequel we all wanted, best Taro game, best SQUARE game in a generation. Yes I know that's building it up a lot, it's still true

Golnei

There was no question it'd be good, but whether it'd manage to even be on par with the original was up in the air - Drakengard 3 might also have contributed to that impression, since it tried to differentiate itself from Nier stylistically with the orchestral stage themes and more traditional boss music, which may have led to doubt that Okabe and co. would be able to produce a soundtrack in Nier's style that was as strong as the original. I'll admit that the weak, faux-orchestral Song of the Ancients arrangement from the demo wasn't giving me too much confidence despite the other impressive pieces I'd heard before that point (the E3 boss you mentioned, and the PGW 2015 trailer theme), but I'm glad to hear that my misgivings were apparently unfounded.

LotusHD

Banned
Can someone explain (attire-related)
the pink bow? I wanna take a guess and say that Pascal gave it to 2B or something?

Alastor3

The second play through can drag till the later half in a way that's noticeable

What do you mean the second playthrough? Is it like the first game where there's two part and you need to restart at a certain place in the story to see the other endings?

Slater

Banned
What do you mean the second playthrough? Is it like the first game where there's two part and you need to restart at a certain place in the story to see the other endings?

It's like the first Nier don't really want to spoil much but it takes a good while, there's new stuff right away to, just not quite enough not to retread a bit in a boring way.

The new bits are still aces though

Famassu

This lower-pitched female singer is pretty awesome. As much as I love Emi Evans' voice & the OG Nier OST, the change (for a part of the OST) is very welcome.

Is there some kind of trick to fighting the big level 50 robots like
Father Servo and the corrupted one in the canyon
?

It took me like twenty minutes of nonstop spam with some attack boosters to kill one, and if you lose focus out of boredom, they can
instakill you with the uppercut.

jonjonaug

Is there some kind of trick to fighting the big level 50 robots like
Father Servo and the corrupted one in the canyon
?

It took me like twenty minutes of nonstop spam with some attack boosters to kill one, and if you lose focus out of boredom, they can
instakill you with the uppercut.

I just skipped those guys and eventually made it to a point where they disappeared. Hopefully they'll be around again at NG+.

Yu Narukami

26 hours, about
for route A. Though I took my time for like the first two-thirds of my A playthrough doing sidequests and exploring. After that I just focused on the story missions (including for B).
How are the other routes triggered? Anything to farm?

TissueBox

How are the other routes triggered? Anything to farm?

Can't speak for the other routes/endings yet but no farming or extra stuff needed for B. It works similarly to its predecessor in that regard. There's also a joke ending or two you could get if you know how to stumble upon it. :p

jonjonaug

Joke endings I know about so far

Die during the opening sequence
Eat a mackerel
Sell your OS chip

Any others that I can get on loop one?

Top Bottom