• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Well for one the world and world traversal is seamless just like FFXV. Can't be sure about the size yet since I'm not done with the game. Quests are similar to FFXV also. Gameplay is similar too (action RPG).

Like Massive Duck said, the biggest different here is simply the scale (zones are much larger and the hub field is a bigger size/more complicated as well) and lack of loading between the areas. The combat is significantly better, but the original was still an action RPG, just not nearly as refined.

Edit: And that's ending B! Sitting through the credits now, or can they be skipped?

I've considered just watching the endings on YouTube but I'm sure it'll miss the little differences in playthroughs. Also every time I'm about to give up something cool happens to keep me going :p

I think i only have a few hours left.....but god dam am i close to just saying fuck it.
Anytime i'm playing 9s, i'm just so bored and just trying to get to the next plot point.

Would you recommend it?

I dont really know, often the game is just straight up boring because of filler segments and 9s being completely shit to play as, just insanely repetitive.
But it has strong story/world/characters/music that keep you motivated, just like other yoko games.

That's clear, but you would think the posters saying it's really severe and then mentioning they're on Pro would put 2 + 2 together.

I'm on OG and performance is ridiculous bad at times, it honestly seems to get better later in the game though.

Roussow

Haven't found a single Gauntlet weapon (or whatever the fist type are), can someone let me know if I've missed one somewhere? I really want to try one out, I feel like there should have been one available by now. For reference I just got though the
Copied
City, and the boss fight there.

Lime

I cancelled my Black Box edition because I figured someone else would get much more enjoyment out of it than me. I just couldn't justify spending all that money, and I figured there were bigger fans than me out there (hopefully no scalper got it).

Yeah I dont see this game reviewing a lot better than nier 1
Im still in it for the story but the graphics, framerate , bugs , crashes etc , 2b's bum, the bloat , to some the short first playthrough , to others the simpler than usual combat...
theres just a lot to pick apart if youre not already hyped for the game and know exactly what youre getting into

Im still in it for the story but the graphics, framerate , bugs , crashes etc , 2b's bum, the bloat , to some the short first playthrough , to others the simpler than usual combat...
theres just a lot to pick apart if youre not already hyped for the game and know exactly what youre getting into
???

I expected a 9/10 type game, after a few hours, that's what this feels like so far. World is very sparse so far, and enemy design has been limited, but the combat is great -- not just for an RPG, legitimately great. Exploration's not bad, though it's not great (and honestly could/should be a lot better considering how much time is spent running from A->B).

This is a good game and it will be reviewed as such

???

I expected a 9/10 type game, after a few hours, that's what this feels like so far. World is very sparse so far, and enemy design has been limited, but the combat is great -- not just for an RPG, legitimately great. Exploration's not bad, though it's not great (and honestly could/should be a lot better considering how much time is spent running from A->B).

This is a good game and it will be reviewed as such

You sound like youre being generous since you listed even more flaws than I could think of.
And im not saying its a bad game, neither was 1.
Im saying itll review poorly for the above reason which simply cant be disregarded by everyone.
if youre in it for yoko taro its great game from the looks of it, but if youre not , and i cant imagine a lot reviewers being taro fans, then those are legitimate issues

I'm working on
route C
. Is there an ideal
series of selections for who to monitor?
Should I
just stick with one character, or switch back and forth?

I started with
Ayyy Two
, but I made a separate save at the start in case I chose wrong.

LotusHD

Banned
U17fiY3.gif

In retrospect, if I had gotten the Wire skill on my first playthrough, the last couple of bosses would've been pretty easy.

Welp I know what skill to look out for...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Nier 1 is at 68. If anybody this game is gonna get anywhere near that, they are delusional. I expect an 80 to 85..its just as quirky and 'experimental' as Grav rush 2 but with a story and combat and a soundtrack that blows that game out of the water as someone who thinks that game is super great

To begin with your only taking the negative impressions of people in this thread into account and discounting the positive ones

LProtag

Well, I wanted to take a break a bit before going to bed, but I ended up pushing a little too far and... I got another ending, haha.

LotusHD

Banned

Lmao what

Tohsaka

I'm on the third Speed Star quest, and I can't seem to finish it. Is it faster to just spam R2 to dash forward continuously, or hit it once and sprint? And do the Speed Salves stack with the movement-speed chips?

GReeeeN

Can someone explain what these "routes" are that everyone is talking about?, is this something I should be aware of before starting the game?

JPS Kai

Spoken like a true
someone that hasn't played the game yet.

Well, all I know is this, if people thought Neir OG was a 6-6.5/10, which I would disagree with greatly, and those same people think this is an 8-8.5/10, then this might be my GOTY or damn close to it.

I'm on the third Speed Star quest, and I can't seem to finish it. Is it faster to just spam R2 to dash forward continuously, or hit it once and sprint? And do the Speed Salves stack with the movement-speed chips?

spamming it interrupts the acceleration, wouldn't recommend it. salves should stack with chips (but not 100% on that)

Well, all I know is this, if people thought Neir OG was a 6-6.5/10, which I would disagree with greatly, and those same people think this is an 8-8.5/10, then this might be my GOTY or damn close to it.

Yeah, I don't see how someone who's played both could see this reviewing worse, even with the stutters. If they don't address it at all than that may bring it down, but it'll probably still come in higher than Nier

Aeana

It is way faster to just dash once and keep holding your analog stick. After a small period, you break into a second, faster dash speed. That's why it's best to not jump or dash again or anything like that.

I had +20% movement speed (the max you can get from chips) and I squeaked by.

bodine1231

I'm liking the game,but the texture work is S-H-I-T. Getting alot of hitches and stuttering in the framerate,even on the pro too.

Ubernube

Can someone explain what these "routes" are that everyone is talking about?, is this something I should be aware of before starting the game?

Routes are a very important thing with Yoko's games, as you essentially are not done with the game until you seem them all through. You unlock them in a linear fashion as you play through the game, which each play-through being one route

So your first play-through is Route A, second Route B, and so on.

Each game Yoko's worked on has handled this aspect somewhat differently from each other as well.

Zolbrod

Everything that mentions "can be exchanged for money" in the item description is safe to sell

If I remember correctly, there's a subquest that requires Moose/Boar meat, so you'll want to hang onto that.
You can sell anything else that says "can be exchanged for money" though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I found one big Salve to be enough for it - didn't have any movement speed chips equipped when I was doing it.
The biggest part is gliding down to the left in a way you don't take damage. After that, just run taking the lower out of the 2 paths and you should be fine (with maybe a second to spare).

JayEH

It'll get mid 70s to low 80s. Platinum combat alone will rise this above the original metacritic score.

Ubernube

It'll get mid 70s to low 80s. Platinum combat alone will rise this above the original metacritic score.

Honestly, if FFXV can coast on by with an 81 with the laundry list of flaws that game has, I think this will be fine meta wise. I doubt it'll get into the high 80s or into the 90s, but it'll get a respectable meta I'm pretty confident.

Relique

I think i only have a few hours left.....but god dam am i close to just saying fuck it.
Anytime i'm playing 9s, i'm just so bored and just trying to get to the next plot point.

I dont really know, often the game is just straight up boring because of filler segments and 9s being completely shit to play as, just insanely repetitive.
But it has strong story/world/characters/music that keep you motivated, just like other yoko games.

I'm on OG and performance is ridiculous bad at times, it honestly seems to get better later in the game though.

I felt the same way about the first Nier. I was just forcing myself through the gameplay sections. I enjoyed the creative stuff they did, and some parts the story and world were top notch but I was not really motivated to play the clunky combat or run around in the world. After I finished it I knew trying to go for the different endings right away would just make me hate a game I found pretty good overall on a first playthrough.

Now that I have no PS3 I thought there is no way I'd go back and revisit Nier so I went ahead and watched the endings and can't help but feel like all these did was just pad the game unnecessarily? It just feels cheap to make an ending piecemeal when it could have stood just as strongly if they extended the first ending with the other scenes. They could have combined A, B, C and E and called it a day. Or at the very least made it two endings: A/B/C/E or A/B/C/D and it would have been stronger for it IMO. I even found that ending C takes away some impact from earlier scenes so it would be better without it.

I understand that this ending system is pretty unique and I guess some people enjoy it but I just don't see the point. Not everyone can bang out a 40 hour game in a couple of days.

Sorry to go on an off topic rant here, I guess it is somewhat related. For Automata, I am glad to hear that at least the multiple paths are different so that is a good thing. It's unfortunate about the PS4 performance issues, which I am sad to say, caused me to cancel my PS4 preorder until I figure out what the situation is with the PC version.

The general vibe here seems kinda odd. I feel like people dance around questions and people don't want to criticize their beloved game. I absolutely believe the game is probably pretty good but hearing stuff like "I don't regret my purchase" from multiple people who are praising the game is just not a good sign. I am looking forward to hearing more impressions about it and will probably join you guys once the PC version decided to show up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want to see a "safe" Yoko Taro game. Give me weird and divisive every time, critics be damned!

Lucentto

Banned
Honestly, if FFXV can coast on by with an 81 with the laundry list of flaws that game has, I think this will be fine meta wise. I doubt it'll get into the high 80s or into the 90s, but it'll get a respectable meta I'm pretty confident.

Well, FFXV had the benefit of having Final Fantasy on the title.

Dio

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want to see a "safe" Yoko Taro game. Give me weird and divisive every time, critics be damned!

yeah, this. i'll take a 70-80 maximum Taro game over a bland and uninteresting but well reviewing game any day.

Based off the demo, I initially expected a 9 game too, but I think it'll settle around mid-80s.

The combat system & traversal are great, but so far (10 hours in) they also feel a bit more shallow than they potentially could've been. It's more focused experienced than the old Nier, and for that has its pros and cons, to an extent.

I expected, initially from the way the game previewed off the gameplay in the demos and the bits of open world free-form travelling around that those components would help to elevate the usual Yoko Taro-ness of his games, but so far, they're only complementary. Not that it's bad, but it's also a game where you could see the limits of how much money was put into this project in the sense of scope.

Honestly, another year or year & half with double the budget could really elevate this game into a masterpiece. There is so much ideas and cool stuff in Automata, but a lot of it also feels like they lack that final layer of polish.

Top Bottom