• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

DKL

I always play the challenge modes in games.

I actually said fuck it to this one.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the developers were saying "fuck you" with the design of hard and very hard.

Like, if you died on the
second Adam fight
on route A, the runback is completely miserable and out of left field because
the first one had a sensible checkpoints that puts you at the beginning of the fight

That said, what is the question? I might be able to help, but not sure lol

pezzie

I just had a weird sequence break moment in the game.

Route C spoilers:

I was playing as 9S, going to the forest zone looking for that big machine tower thingie. I took a wrong turn and ended up heading to Machine Village. I didn't even know there was a path from the forest to Machine Village. All the machines were dead and a sad song was playing.

Well, I completed 9S's mission and went back to A2. During the main quest, I got sent to Pascal's village, and everyone's alive and chipper again! Yay. I can pretty much guess what's going to happen to them all now. Yoko Taro strikes again :(.

Alastor3

From what I've played, it's pretty much the same game as normal (from what I can tell... I honestly didn't see the AI doing different things from Very Hard, but maybe I haven't played enough), but you have to do some loadout customization that, quite frankly, makes the game a bit more boring.

If you choose hard and customize your chip loadout accordingly, it should mostly be the same outside of some silly OHKO deaths.

so.... how long? unless it's too early to tell maybe

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah they do

opera singer doesnt do her bullet hell attack unless your in hard mode

*edit*

This might be incorrect

DKL

Wait, don't the bosses or maybe even the regular robots act differently in Hard Mode?

I honestly couldn't tell difference. Seemed like everyone was doing the same shit, particularly the
Theme Park boss from Route B, which felt exactly the same, but I was brave enough to go in on normal difficulty and it was a lot of fun.

I've been seeing pretty much the same stuff I saw on Very Hard and it just led me to believe that the difficulty is mainly balanced around damage, but I can't say for sure because I maybe haven't played Normal and Hard enough.

EDIT:

Actually, the easiest way to check would probably be to run the bullet hell sequences next to each other and see. Let me go play the beginning of the story again.

ClearData

No confirmed release date yet, but a trailer released a week back put it on March 10, but that was quickly pulled down and corrected. Gamestop does have a PC release date set for March 10 but at this point who knows really?

I hope it does release on March 10.

Thanks addik. This sounds like a stealth release with no fanfare but enough little signs seem to be pointing to March 10 and they are trying to keep that hush hush.

Exentryk

I'll be starting in Hard. Need to give meaning to DEF+ and HP+ chips. Very Hard is not good, because it encourages conservative play. It might have been okay if one could save anywhere and reload without losing any progress, but it seems like that is not the case. So, better off playing Hard or Normal.

LotusHD

Banned
Yea Very Hard doesn't seem fun at all. But of course, that's fine, because there will be people out there that will absolutely love the challenge. I really like how this game is accommodating to players of all skill levels.

I gotta say though, I thought that Yoko Taro would troll everyone and have it be part of the Platinum to beat the game in that difficulty. Everyone would rightfully freak out.
But then you discover that you can buy trophies, thereby making all that worry for nothing. Would've been brilliant...

DKL

Because there's 3 save file (pls), I don't have a quick way to access a boss fight or anything lol

That said, I observed the AI during Very Hard and Normal, particularly the enemy with the rapid blaster and he seems about as spammy.

(like balls everywhere and random death laser spam)

This may be why I perceive there as to being no difference since most of the encounters I've done are mobs and not enough time with like bosses, but the AI behavior is about as aggressive with regards to mobs.

I'll be starting in Hard. Need to give meaning to DEF+ and HP+ chips.

I'm really wondering about this: all I did to counteract the damage increase on hard was to (chip spoilers):

-Buy a 99 large medkits
-Turn auto-item use on
-Turn anti-chain damage on to prevent combos (you have 1 second of invincibility when you get hit, so it's impossible for an enemy to land a combo)

This actually dealt with like most of the encounters and the only thing you're left with is bosses and some enemies that have OHKO moves.

(I probably should have experimented with the OHKO moves by seeing if defense buffs actually made you survive one hit... but then it would pretty much flow into the above strategy... which isn't even the most busted thing I found lol)

This is a good game.

Hope they get some of the technical issues fixed for the NA release, but even with the hiccups, the gameplay and music carry this thing.

Not far enough to say anything about the story yet (just fought the spinning top boss that was showed off last E3), although I can safely predict that it is weird.

Background: Never played Nier/Drakenguard/etc, ain't nobody got time for 7s.
YYvCJ.gif

Exentryk

Yeah, being on Hard and needing to figure out best chip setups so you can survive will make the gameplay more meaningful to me. I love making optimised builds and coming up with broken setups, so it should be fun!

DKL

Yeah, being on Hard and needing to figure out best chip setups so you can survive will make the gameplay more meaningful to me. I love making optimised builds and coming up with broken setups, so it should be fun!

I can tell you right now that the setups are definitely fun.

There's actually a lot of variety with regards to setups, I felt.
(but then, I'm not an expert, so I dunno)

I like that you can actually sacrifice some UI data in order to have more room for chips. This was a pretty cool addition.

Could I get help with the Wise Machine quest?

I thought I was being clever
hijacking a machine and trying to talk to him
but that didn't do anything. I've
watched him die so many times now ;_;

LotusHD

Banned

I love that we get a game (or ARPG more specifically) where the setup and skills actually are varied, where it feels like it actually matters what stuff you equip yourself with.

DKL

I love that we get a game (or ARPG more specifically) where the setup and skills actually are varied, where it feels like it actually matters what stuff you equip yourself with.

To be honest, based on this, Scalebound would have been amazing ;-;

(I know people hate on the vids or whatever, but Dragon Link sounded amazing)

We're up to 4 reviews with more to come, should I start piecing together a review thread or wait for larger publications to post their reviews?

Jiraiza

I'll be starting in Hard. Need to give meaning to DEF+ and HP+ chips. Very Hard is not good, because it encourages conservative play. It might have been okay if one could save anywhere and reload without losing any progress, but it seems like that is not the case. So, better off playing Hard or Normal.

Nah, just stack weapon damage chips and go ham on every single enemy you face.

I think we should wait a few more days, i dunno even when the review embargo is up

I plan on waiting until we see some larger places cover it, but I wanted to get a feeling of what others thought too.

Already aware of that one, never heard of em either. I know of that one, RPG Fan, the french one. Don't recall a 4th.

I may have been mistaken then, I had heard of 3 before, then saw this one, but this may have been one of the 3 I'd heard about, and I forgot.

Either way, at least among importers, it looks like this game is a hit.

LotusHD

Banned
I plan on waiting until we see some larger places cover it, but I wanted to get a feeling of what others thought too.

I may have been mistaken then, I had heard of 3 before, then saw this one, but this may have been one of the 3 I'd heard about, and I forgot.

Either way, at least among importers, it looks like this game is a hit.

I just would rather avoid that awkward moment where we make it now, and then we just... wait for the rest of them to eventually show up.

Want that big buzz all in one go imo lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
yep heh...yeah 80 to 85 is my final prediction for this game :p Of course its 100 out of 100 in my book personally, but reviewers tend to pick out things differently. It doesn't help that the game is somewhat obtuse in how your supposed to complete it like every other YT game

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Huge Branch C spoilers:

Holy shit.

After Pascal's whole village gets wiped and the kids commit suicide, I went back as 9S and when I talked to Pascal, he opened up shop with THE BODY PARTS AND CHILD CORES OF HIS VILLAGERS???? AAAHHHH.

This game gets so much darker than NieR ever did. Jeezus.
I read this spoiler a good 20 minutes ago and just can't get over it. Haven't checked this during my playthrough, but wow. Just wow.

Exentryk

I can tell you right now that the setups are definitely fun.

There's actually a lot of variety with regards to setups, I felt.

Good to hear that there is a lot of variety. All of these help to increase the depth and breadth the gameplay has to offer.

Nah, just stack weapon damage chips and go ham on every single enemy you face.

Yeah, that's definitely one build! :p
But being able to avoid OHK might be more worthwhile in some cases. Avoiding OHK should also let you trigger healing chips or items so you basically never have to worry about dying.

We're up to 4 reviews with more to come, should I start piecing together a review thread or wait for larger publications to post their reviews?

I just would rather avoid that awkward moment where we make it now, and then we just... wait for the rest of them to eventually show up.

Want that big buzz all in one go imo lol

Yeah, probably better to do in one go, or at least until a few bigger sites post theirs.

DKL

She glows red when she dodges and I'm assuming it has some purpose ? But can't find it.

I mostly assumed it was an indicator that you are at the end of the speed boost provided by the dash and you need to push dash again for another speed up bonus.

Mashing her dash actually makes her travel less distance.

But yeah, that's all I have lol

Early route C spoilers:

what am I missing in this defend 2B segment? It's ridiculous, the enemies are all like 10 levels above me and I get rocked by so many status effects immediately i can't do anything. I've tried singling out the EMP bots but that gets practically impossible as soon as I start getting debuffed.

Slaythe

Early route C spoilers:

what am I missing in this defend 2B segment? It's ridiculous, the enemies are all like 10 levels above me and I get rocked by so many status effects immediately i can't do anything. I've tried singling out the EMP bots but that gets practically impossible as soon as I start getting debuffed.

Run, hack, run, hack, run, hack.

For 10 minutes.

Exentryk

Spent some time creating a controller profile for this game on PC. Since I wanted easier access for pod program switching and execution, I've got the macro such that when I press R2, it should switch to the right pod and execute the program (like Laser, Hammer, etc). If I press L2 it should switch to the left pod and execute that program. Should make it much easier than first pressing left or right on the dpad and then pressing the pod program button. Hopefully it works without any issues.

Also set up R3 so when it is pressed once, pod firing stays on. And when Dodge + R3 is pressed, it turns off the pod firing. Needed to do this because L2 and R2 were already taken with the above and it didn't leave a button for pod firing.

Will share the profile if anyone wants, after I've tested it in the full game.

Early route C spoilers:

Hack and dodge is how I did it. Mess with plugin chips if you haven't already as well. Shock wave ones are really good especially with 9S since it helps with his range. That part was a bit of a difficulty curve for me too, think I was at a similar level to you based off your post. Gets easier after that though.

DKL

Run, hack, run, hack, run, hack.

For 10 minutes.

This is literally the optimized very hard strat lol

Also, the part in route C where I have to
hack a bunch of boxes in the 2nd tower
is pretty much what this game's design philosophy on Very Hard is:

Long sections that you have to do over if you make a mistake at any point.

Ironically, it's one of the more better designed portions of the game in terms of how fast you get to run the section back (I pretty much get back in instantly and there's no fluff between the sections), but it's actually making me want to rage quit Very Hard and just do the game over on normal.

(I'm actually overleveled now due to a badly designed section that was
long and difficult, but you kept your EXP every time you had to retry because you didn't need to pick up your body
)

I should just give up since I actually love the game, but this is making me miserable lol

mollipen

Just want to do a quick "how much more is left to getting the real ending" check: I'm
currently playing as A2, and just got my new filter from Pascal. Whenever given the chance, I've never picked to play as 9S. I'm certain I'll have to go back and play his stuff, but I don't know if—for example—finishing out A2's path gives me a C/D ending, and then 9S gives me the other, or if finishing both gives me C and then D is something else. I believe I then have to get E and F, but I've got no clue how much I have to do to get those.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just want to do a quick "how much more is left to getting the real ending" check: I'm
currently playing as A2, and just got my new filter from Pascal. Whenever given the chance, I've never picked to play as 9S. I'm certain I'll have to go back and play his stuff, but I don't know if—for example—finishing out A2's path gives me a C/D ending, and then 9S gives me the other, or if finishing both gives me C and then D is something else. I believe I then have to get E and F, but I've got no clue how much I have to do to get those.
If you ignore side quests, you're looking at a few hours, 3-5, I think.

Slaythe

This is literally the optimized very hard strat lol

Also, the part in route C where I have to
hack a bunch of boxes in the 2nd tower
is pretty much what this game's design philosophy on Very Hard is:

Long sections that you have to do over if you make a mistake at any point.

Ironically, it's one of the more better designed portions of the game in terms of how fast you get to run the section back (I pretty much get back in instantly and there's no fluff between the sections), but it's actually making me want to rage quit Very Hard and just do the game over on normal.

(I'm actually overleveled now due to a badly designed section that was
long and difficult, but you kept your EXP every time you had to retry because you didn't need to pick up your body
)

I should just give up since I actually love the game, but this is making me miserable lol

I forgot to save in route C and died because of the
virus

Not gonna lie I turned easy mode on, auto combat on, went to make food in the meanwhile and let the game play itself.

DKL

Man, this part in route C where
you have to hack the boxes
is actually one of the most difficult sequences on Very Hard for me... but it's well designed in terms of run back because I'm not sitting through load screens or anything.

What this entire section is doing is actually making me fear going back to the regular game because I'll be in sections that are objectively easier (I haven't retried a lot of encounters as much as I've been doing this, honestly), but then dragged out because of nonsense.

Urge to restart game is rising >_>

Top Bottom