• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think my only major annoyance with this game is (no story spoilers)
that there's no indication if you are at the point of no return and most of the quests ongoing will get cancelled/failed when you are at that point.

Quick question. I'll insert spoiler tags despite probably not needing them in first two spots (semi-early location).

In the
Amusement Park
, there's an iron gate where you fought the
tank
, and there's clearly something that I can do back there since the map indicates it's traversable. Does anyone know how to get in? If it matters, I'm in route
B
currently, so I do have
hacking skills

Jesus those are low expectations lol

I mean in terms of critical reception... no Taro game has been above a 70 from the Drakengard/Nier series.

Granted we all know why and this seems like it will change that luckily.

But as much as I don't care about review scores, especially when it comes to Taro, it will be nice to see one of his games get high marks for once.

silva1991

Jesus those are low expectations lol

I have been expecting low scores for most games I care about fro while now... well except for Zelda

Am I a pessimist
bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif
? lol

It seems this will be the highest reviewed Yoko Taro game.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean in terms of critical reception... no Taro game has been above a 70 from the Drakengard/Nier series.

Granted we all know why and this seems like it will change that luckily.

But as much as I don't care about review scores, especially when it comes to Taro, it will be nice to see one of his games get high marks for once.

Well like you said, we know why, it's essentially the main reason we were hyped for this game to begin with.

I have been expecting low scores for most games I care about fro while now... well except for Zelda

Am I a pessimist
bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif
? lol

It seems this will be the highest reviewed Yoko Taro game.

I mean, it has never once crossed my mind that it would get a MC score in the 70s, that's for sure. Anything in the 80s was my guess.

SilentRob

Question regarding the "Wandering Couple" sidequest:

I gave them 50K G, they have been doublecrossed. I found the man lying alone in the flooded city, he tells me to look for his girlfriend, is supposed to give me some kind of bioship or something that is supposed to show me her position on the map...but nothing happens. I get no marker in the map at all. Do I have to first do the "Kill Robo-Godzilla" main mission? Because during my 1st playthrough after that this quest failed, so I'm hesistant on starting it...

pezzie

Route C spoilers:

OMG wtf just happened??? The bunker?? 2B noooooo!! ;_;

I don't think she's really dead though. Her memories being taken up by A2 must mean something! Yes, that's it!

I'm looking forward to the unhinging of 9S though. Poor boy is about to go crazy!

Coda

Have such a love/hate relationship with this game.

Same here, there are certain things that I love like the combat, open world and artstyle.

I'm probably one of the very few who actually doesn't like the soundtrack. Now I'm not saying it's bad and it does fit the overall tone and feel of the game, it just personally doesn't resonate with me. Weirdly enough I do find myself humming some of the area tunes from time to time but I wouldn't listen to the OST in my other spare time.

Also there's too much time spent messing around with the map before I figure out a clear path as to where to go. Just wish it was a little more streamlined.

Overall though I'm enjoying the game. I'm on route B now.

darkwing

Question regarding the "Wandering Couple" sidequest:

I gave them 50K G, they have been doublecrossed. I found the man lying alone in the flooded city, he tells me to look for his girlfriend, is supposed to give me some kind of bioship or something that is supposed to show me her position on the map...but nothing happens. I get no marker in the map at all. Do I have to first do the "Kill Robo-Godzilla" main mission? Because during my 1st playthrough after that this quest failed, so I'm hesistant on starting it...

I'm stuck in this quest too, I don't know how to get into the
flooded city
:(

Rnr1224

Well that was certainly interesting.

Was playing and all of a sudden the sound cut out as soon as I got hit by an enemy attack.

It happened in Route C when
you are fighting the robots that have the EMP attack as 9S
so I wasnt sure if it was actually part of the game or not haha.

Went to the menu and the sound was messed up there too so the PS4 Pro must have been running a bit too hot.

Well that was certainly interesting.

Was playing and all of a sudden the sound cut out as soon as I got hit by an enemy attack.

It happened in Route C when
you are fighting the robots that have the EMP attack as 9S
so I wasnt sure if it was actually part of the game or not haha.

Went to the menu and the sound was messed up there too so the PS4 Pro must have been running a bit too hot.

Pretty sure it's intentional actually. It'll stay messed up in the menu too.

There is a classification for
aural bugs
as one of the status ailments.

Wow, didn't realize this was out. Gonna pick it up and re immerse myself in a first game spoiler vid.

Can't wait to listen to that music again. OG was one of my memorable experiences from last gen.

Huge Branch C spoilers:

Holy shit.

After Pascal's whole village gets wiped and the kids commit suicide, I went back as 9S and when I talked to Pascal, he opened up shop with THE BODY PARTS AND CHILD CORES OF HIS VILLAGERS???? AAAHHHH.

This game gets so much darker than NieR ever did. Jeezus.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't get how some people cannot like the soundtrack :( i mean opinions and all but i'd probably blanch the same way if someone said they hated the OG Nier soundtrack. Just can't personally see how myself, but that's the nature of opinions after all

Huge Branch C spoilers:

Holy shit.

After Pascal's whole village gets wiped and the kids commit suicide, I went back as 9S and when I talked to Pascal, he opened up shop with THE BODY PARTS AND CHILD CORES OF HIS VILLAGERS???? AAAHHHH.

This game gets so much darker than NieR ever did. Jeezus.

Nier got pretty dark.

Nier was actually implied to be a child prostitute to pay for Yonah's medicine according to Grimoire Nier

But yeah, Automata also gets just as dark and complex albeit in different ways.

And obviously both Niers can't touch Drakengard in depravity, but that's just as well

Slaythe

I have a question regarding A2's gameplay.

What does her dodge do ? She glows red, I'm assuming it does something ... ?

Nier got pretty dark.

Nier was actually implied to be a child prostitute to pay for Yonah's medicine according to Grimoire Nier

But yeah, Automata also gets just as dark and complex albeit in different ways.

And obviously both Niers can't touch Drakengard in depravity, but that's just as well

I mean specifically within the game itself.

A big part of that is (general spoilers but not really)
You get to know a great deal of the robots despite them being on the enemy side, so when shit goes bad for them/they go crazy, it gets bad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean specifically within the game itself.

A big part of that is (general spoilers but not really)
You get to know a great deal of the robots despite them being on the enemy side, so when shit goes bad for them/they go crazy, it gets bad.

That's true yeah. It gets you to care about the characters on a different level which takes work as they are essentially not even human after all..its talented writing plain and simple

DKL

Story is in general pretty interesting (not necessarily for the twists, but for the implications), but Route C
Pascal village death
kinda got to me since I like that character ;_;

And by implications, I mean, as of Route C:

I'm to understand that the war at this point is some arbitrary thing that the Androids and Robots are doing because the original people that put them up to it are pretty much dead at this point (outside of maybe some human DNA on the moon or something) and there's no actual reason for the war outside of a cycle of revenge.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the actual story is pretty interesting lol

Also, just to give people waiting on the March release date, and I know I talked about this a lot, but I cannot emphasize enough the need for people to play this on NORMAL DIFFICULTY. Disregard pride and assume that it's the only difficulty setting that exists.

Anything above is not actually worth it because you get OHKO on hard too and by the most annoying of moves like motherfucking spear lunge lol

(assuming you're doing no defense buffs, which I consider kind of unfun because I want to use other tools... but I was mostly surprised that I still got OHKO by things on Hard, which I was not expecting at all)

Assuming I survive this miserable playthrough on PS4, I'm only touching normal on the PC version like a sensible fucking person.

Coda

Don't get how some people cannot like the soundtrack :( i mean opinions and all but i'd probably blanch the same way if someone said they hated the OG Nier soundtrack. Just can't personally see how myself, but that's the nature of opinions after all.

I will say that I do find it growing on me. I remember liking the Nier OST but it's been a while.

Now the sound design in general is fantastic. I want someone to rip all the in-game UI sound effects because they're all deliciously warm and nice sounding. When the PC version releases I hope someone does that. Want to use one as my text tone.

DKL

I will say that I do find it growing on me. I remember liking the Nier OST but it's been a while.

Now the sound design in general is fantastic. I want someone to rip all the in-game UI sound effects because they're all deliciously warm and nice sounding. When the PC version releases I hope someone does that. Want to use one as my text tone.

The game apparently does this cool thing where your player voice in cut scenes get messed up if you're in black and white almost death mode in the game.

It's this nice cool touch that I didn't see because I was playing on Very Hard lol

The game has all these cool touches, even though it can sometimes be to the detriment of the gameplay.

Like, I understand why they do the pick up your dead body thing for story purposes, but it's kind of shit game design because I'm just gonna reload my file anyway and then suffer through 2 loading screens.

Finished all the main endings just now. Really enjoyed the story and how the narrative was presented here. Been a long time since I've enjoyed a game for its plot so that's pretty damn high praise from me lol. Gameplay was good too, it stayed enjoyable all the way to the end.

I'm even more excited to get my Black Box in a few weeks. This game had a great aesthetic. People waiting for the NA/EU release are in for such a treat.

I have just started Route
B
, anything I should know before continuing further? Is it like Nier where
you can't do things to get different endings until your 3rd playthrough?

DKL

I definitely will. The despairing between damage rates is too big. Some told me hits that do ~25% dmg on Normal jump to ~85 on Hard.

I don't need it to be so difficult I don't enjoy it.

The game is so much fun on what I've played on normal (which was some of the early parts of route B after the stupid beginning sequence on Very Hard where they troll the checkpoints).

The loadout potential is awesome, the damage is sensible and the ways you can dismantle mobs using all your tools is fucking tight.

I'm sometimes stuck with pod spam on Very Hard and I end up wondering what I'm doing with my life.

I pretty much can't wait for the PC version since it'll solve all the FPS issues I get.

Fangel

Neo Member
I have just started Route
B
, anything I should know before continuing further? Is it like Nier where
you can't do things to get different endings until your 3rd playthrough?

Don't worry about different endings.
You unlock a very thorough chapter select once you complete your 3rd playthrough.

DKL

Why don't you Lower the difficulty?

I honestly don't know :v

Even my friends encouraged me to do it, but I'm being stubborn.

I talked about it earlier, but I might be doing this in order to actively discourage everyone else from doing the same lol

Like, I can accurately present viewpoints as to why Very Hard and to a lesser extent Hard are actually pretty ass.

I've restarted some terrible TERRIBLE checkpoints so much that I can pretty much tell people where most of them are from memory.

ClearData

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before but do we have any word on the PC version? I saw a tweet from the localization team that said it's due three days after the PS4 version but I haven't heard about it since.

addik

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before but do we have any word on the PC version? I saw a tweet from the localization team that said it's due three days after the PS4 version but I haven't heard about it since.

No confirmed release date yet, but a trailer released a week back put it on March 10, but that was quickly pulled down and corrected. Gamestop does have a PC release date set for March 10 but at this point who knows really?

I hope it does release on March 10.

DKL

How long is it if you want to do everything and in Hard mode?

From what I've played, it's pretty much the same game as normal (from what I can tell... I honestly didn't see the AI doing different things from Very Hard, but maybe I haven't played enough), but you have to do some loadout customization that, quite frankly, makes the game a bit more boring.

If you choose hard and customize your chip loadout accordingly, it should mostly be the same outside of some silly OHKO deaths.

Slaythe

I honestly don't know :v

Even my friends encouraged me to do it, but I'm being stubborn.

I talked about it earlier, but I might be doing this in order to actively discourage everyone else from doing the same lol

Like, I can accurately present viewpoints as to why Very Hard and to a lesser extent Hard are actually pretty ass.

I've restarted some terrible TERRIBLE checkpoints so much that I can pretty much tell people where most of them are from memory.

I always play the challenge modes in games.

I actually said fuck it to this one.

First of all the performance is not acceptable in some battles, so when you get one shot after a stutter it's just maddening.

And also, at first the game disappointed me a bit because I was expecting a challenging yet rewarding game like KH2FM at level 1 critical.

The second I let go of that, I enjoyed the game a million times more.

Especially to enjoy the story content and what not.

And since I refused to level up anything, even normal mode can be somewhat challenging at times. I'm not using the lock ons and other stuff like that. :)

Also, can you guys answer my question about A2's dodge ?

Top Bottom