• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

DKL

No spoilers pls; how much of a chore is it to do Route B after A is done.

The game gives you a new way of playing that can be fun and you have a different perspective on some things.

I think mileage may vary, but I liked it.

EDIT:

And I'm not just talking about the main thing that people will probably be thinking about... they actually give you something beyond that that's pretty interesting.

EDIT EDIT:

Like, I didn't try it too much, but you can
hack robots and either put them in your zombie army or use them and fight other robots with a completely new moveset

It's pretty novel.

Just starting Route B. Does my quest progress carry over, or do I need to start all quests again? Will I be able to go complete the quests I didn't finish before the Route A endgame at any point?

DKL

Okay, so I've died about 260 times in the game and I restarted that section in route C like, let's say, 100 times cumulatively...

But I spent only how many hours (not even 2?) in that section compared to the rest of the game due to the fact that the run back is convenient.

People can't tell how angry this realization makes me lol

EDIT:

That's it, I'm just restarting the game on normal.

Fuck everything :v

Curious because I'm in route C now and I think I missed some sidequests and stuff in A/B - is there a post game/new game plus type thing where I can go back to older stuff, or will I have to start a brand new game?

Slaythe

Curious because I'm in route C now and I think I missed some sidequests and stuff in A/B - is there a post game/new game plus type thing where I can go back to older stuff, or will I have to start a brand new game?

After route C you can replay the game at any given point through a chapter select kind of thing.

raven777

Ok so
I saw upto ending E. Is that all the endings that are relevant to the main story and rest are just bonus type of endings?

Slaythe

How do you unlock different route? Is it just in chronological order or it's branching paths?

Well just reload your game after beating one route and it will get you on the second, then third.

The other endings demand specific actions but there are only 3 major route and one/two variations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ok so
I saw upto ending E. Is that all the endings that are relevant to the main story and rest are just bonus type of endings?

yeah...don't miss
ending Y, as that's somewhat pertinent to emil's mindset

Theswweet

I was expecting literally the same exact game after seeing people complain about Route B being too similar to the first playthrough, and honestly I'm surprised how not true that's been so far. I'm having a great time with it, once I realized how I can tie
hacking
into combat without using it every other second.

Question, though - is it random whether you'll get a choice of what to do with a machine that you've hacked, or are there conditions you have to meet to get that option?

Asking this here because no one in the spoiler thread seems to give a damn. I spoiler mark it but my questions have no real story spoilers in it, just a spoiler about a certain mechanic.

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

2. In the debug room can you freely choose your character?

3. In the debug room can you place ANY enemies? Bosses aswell?

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?

Strings

Err, I think I might hate where C route is going >.<

Also, this might be premature to comment on, but B:
Did that really need to be its own route o_O? Outside of a couple of semi-neat sidequests, that was maybe 10 minutes of new story content (including the gestalt reports, etc).

Anyway, back to the game for now.

Asking this here because no one in the spoiler thread seems to give a damn. I spoiler mark it but my questions have no real story spoilers in it, just a spoiler about a certain mechanic.

1. There's an item which removes the skirt of 2B. Does this item also works on A2 so does she look like this: A2

2. In the debug room can you freely choose your character?

3. In the debug room can you place ANY enemies? Bosses aswell?

4. If you enable debug mode in the story, can you switch characters? For example playing 2B's story and playing as A2?
The spoiler thread isn't getting a lot of traffic, which means it's not getting bumped, which means it isn't getting a lot of traffic. It probably won't pick up until the Western release of the game.

A2 loses most of her clothes after you engage berserk mode by pressing L3+R3. 2B and 9S lose their clothes after self-destructing with L3+R3.

That said, those who have beaten the game should come on over to the NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread so we can attempt to make sense of what the FUCK just happened.

komorebi

I hope Amazon comes through. My order just says 'delivery date pending' and I ordered it 9 days before release date. This better not be another Nioh situation where the game is perpetually out of stock!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
oh my gosh the e3 boss fight

raven777

The biggest negative I have for this game overall was
playing as 9S was just not fun at all. Really wasn't feeling the hacking part and normal combat with 9S was so frustrating compared to the rest.

I hope Amazon comes through. My order just says 'delivery date pending' and I ordered it 9 days before release date. This better not be another Nioh situation where the game is perpetually out of stock!

I ordered the Automata T-Shirt Edition yesterday from amazon uk and it says arriving Friday 10th for me. Did you order the Day One edition? Maybe that's more popular so stock is a little less certain?

deim0s

Am on Route B now, but I have a question from Route A. I don't want to visit the spoiler thread for anything atm.

Met
Emil
and he ran away to the forest... is it a missable or a potential sidequest?

just relistened to the whole soundtrack!

Man this is so good! it really grow on you like the first nier! I still prefer the first one, but damn this is some high level soundtrack! can't wait that more are uploaded to youtube (every day there's something new), my only complain is that there's too much remix (and except for
dark colossus
, i don't think they improved the originals)

i Also pre-ordered the soundtrack on play-asia, three disc!

EDIT : Love "voice of no return", it's not on youtube yet, but it's a really good song!

now here's my dream concerning the soundtrack

WORLD TOUR NIER CONCERT

please square-enix, make that happens!

Am on Route B now, but I have a question from Route A. I don't want to visit the spoiler thread for anything atm.

Met
Emil
and he ran away to the forest... is it a missable or a potential sidequest?

you will find him on the map in the city ruins after that (don't remember if you need to finish the forest before that) , you can see his icon on the map-menu, he will give you a sidequest.... and something else, you'll see :p

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Is there any other enemies in the game than the small robots with different skins ? I played the demo and watched some screenshots, all I can see is the same robots over and over again but sometimes with a hat or an armor.

I was already tired of killing the same mobs in the demo so I might pass because of this. I did not realized there would be so little variety.

I would be really disappointed by all this, can someone comment on it ?

komorebi

I ordered the Automata T-Shirt Edition yesterday from amazon uk and it says arriving Friday 10th for me. Did you order the Day One edition? Maybe that's more popular so stock is a little less certain?

Yeah that's the only one I see on Amazon US. So far it's still pending but we shall see....

SilentRob

Alright guys, I'm still stuck at the "Wandering Couple" sidequest.Going to say again at what point at the side quest I am, including pictures now:

I gave them the 50K g. I left the area, came back and the guy was lying around, hurt, his girlfriend is gone. He asked me to find her and tells me something about a biochip that should help me find her. If I talk to him again he just repeats it. This is what my questlog tells me:
ze1G5N9wfo6GkKMwRNBjKEAVndepJEJu5GhfSptm2vPn5jrYOrkavTcIwJNfgeRozBpE5pZzXNQ2Nsw=w1366-h638-rw

There is nothing marked on my map. Someone in this thread told me she is standing to the left of the entrance to the amusement part. Again, there is no marker at all there, but I ran there anway. Nothing.
9kHP6R6RDGgg29GcTceg4iNUr9_3LgF-iEyaZ5PWmOj0c1wiEyeA1MhMhCCB_mg9HppqzJKGh-jxY8A=w1366-h638-rw

I'm on Route B and this is the last quest I still have in my questlog (apart from the "Find stuff from the Old World I will never finish without a guide). The next main quest is the one fighting against Robo-Godzilla, at which point the "Wandering Couple" quest also automatically fails.

So, uh, what the fuck? Is this another bug? There have been so many glitched side quests in this game for me >___<

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Played about half an hour of B and I'm very excited by how this has all started. I like this game more and more every time I play it. Super super impressive.

I'm watching the last part of Clemps' Nier analysis on Youtube now, and it's reminding me just how little of Nier's story is actually in the game. It's all in limited-edition cross-media shit you had to buy separately from the game, most of which was only ever released in Japan. Without spoiling anything, how does Nier Automata fair on that front? Is the game's story actually in the game?

Stalk

I'm watching the last part of Clemps' Nier analysis on Youtube now, and it's reminding me just how little of Nier's story is actually in the game. It's all in limited-edition cross-media shit you had to buy separately from the game, most of which was only ever released in Japan. Without spoiling anything, how does Nier Automata fair on that front? Is the game's story actually in the game?

It talks openly about stuff like the alien invasion, at least so far. Although I guess you might be a bit lost if that happened and you had no prior knowledge... There's some notes left around about the project from the end of Nier as well.

ebil

I just got chained-hit by a spear lunge attack out of nowhere right after exiting a cutscene, while stuck in a dialogue sequence. I couldn't imagine playing this in any difficulty above Normal. As good as the game is, it's not particularly trying to be fair in that regard.

Is there any other enemies in the game than the small robots with different skins ? I played the demo and watched some screenshots, all I can see is the same robots over and over again but sometimes with a hat or an armor.

I was already tired of killing the same mobs in the demo so I might pass because of this. I did not realized there would be so little variety.

I would be really disappointed by all this, can someone comment on it ?
There's good variety, even though you mostly fight robots. They come in many shapes and sizes, but still have that characteristic appearance.

pezzie

The biggest negative I have for this game overall was
playing as 9S was just not fun at all. Really wasn't feeling the hacking part and normal combat with 9S was so frustrating compared to the rest.

Aw that's too bad. I actually really like
playing as 9S. I hated him at the beginning because his melee is just so wonky, but when I decided to play him as a hit-and-run range attacker and hacker, I really started to like him a lot. There are a lot of enemy types that are definitely easier as 9S than the melee androids.

Gbraga

Rob, will you review this game? And if so, any chance of english subtitles? It's pretty much the only review I'd like to watch/read (after I finish the game myself :p).

I understand it's a lot of work, though, so it's alright if it's not possible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

The robots all are supposed to share a similar design philosophy. But they have a good variety in terms of mechanics and actually being able to tell them apart playing the game

Hektor

There are already two novellas released. Despite of that, automatas entire story is actually in the game, just like in the first nier.

killatopak

Gold Member
I watched clemps vids as well. They are amazingly well detailed and I learned a lot of things about the game and some easter eggs to drakengard and the side materials themselves.

I hope there's a lot of easter eggs in automata.

Still missing One sidequest.... I've currently got three missing, two i need to finish and one i need to discover...

i'm missing some unit data (don't know which, i made sure to talk to every machine and kill every ennemy) and some old world archives
for pascal like gestalt report 7 and 9...

Also missing a third sidequest that i have ABSOLUTELY no idea where is it! i think it's the one with
9S where you hack into Wise Machines, and then it commit suicide
... but it doesn't do anything in the quest log, even tough they're marqued as side quest (red dot)

Top Bottom