• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are there any negative repercussions for stealing one of
Emil's masks from his underground home
? The Pod warning you about it seems like a clear indicator that something bad will happen if you go through with it...

all i know is

if you steal, emil will come after you and you'll eventually fight him as a boss

Samaritan

all i know is

if you steal, emil will come after you and you'll eventually fight him as a boss

Jesus Christ. Guess I'll leave that
mask
where it belongs... I don't want to fight
Emil, I want to give him a hug! Poor kid has had a rough 15000 years man...

Er whats the consensus on this game? It seems everyone has played it but it doesn't seem like its out yet.

Im interested in an RPG but dont care much for FFXV

Inuhanyou

Jesus Christ. Guess I'll leave that
mask
where it belongs... I don't want to fight
Emil, I want to give him a hug! Poor kid has had a rough 15000 years man...

You don't know the half of it, just yet.

FHIZ

Just a general question that I'm going to guess the answer to is "no" since it was like this in the original Nier, but is there anyway to get rid of the pointless semi-transparent letter box bars during the cut scenes?

JayEH

Just a general question that I'm going to guess the answer to is "no" since it was like this in the original Nier, but is there anyway to get rid of the pointless semi-transparent letter box bars during the cut scenes?

have to wait for Nier 3 for that feature.

have to wait for Nier 3 for that feature.

cDTl3nb_thumb.jpg

N° 2048

I'm kind of frustrated right now. Trying to trigger the
Emil
side quest.

The Lunar Tear
is not where it's supposed to be, at the Shopping Mall.

Do I need to be done Route A to see it? I'm currently at the
9S MIA
main quest.

Someone please help, this side quest sounds really cool.

I'm kind of frustrated right now. Trying to trigger the
Emil
side quest.

The Lunar Tear
is not where it's supposed to be, at the Shopping Mall.

Do I need to be done Route A to see it? I'm currently at the
9S MIA
main quest.

Someone please help, this side quest sounds really cool.

you should do it when 9S is with you, i don't think it works without him

Er whats the consensus on this game? It seems everyone has played it but it doesn't seem like its out yet.

Im interested in an RPG but dont care much for FFXV
It's very very good. Play the demo to see if you like the base gameplay. Final game is pretty similar only with an open environment and more RPG elements (plug in chips to customize your style, more weapons and programs, etc.).

I didn't play Final Fantasy so I can't really compare the two. But, speaking as someone who did not like the first Nier outside of the music, I am extremely happy with this one. One of my favorite games this generation.

Inuhanyou

^

One of the best stories and soundtrack of this generation also, but that was going to be by default, awesome dorohedoro avatar btw

For those who could not stomach the roughness of the original game, the polish Platinum brings to the presentation, while not perfect still being a lower budget title by Platinum standards, elevates Yoko Taro's presentation to new heights and allows it to shine

This is def not a Deadly Premonition, Drakengard 1-3 or Nier scenario

LotusHD

Banned
It's very very good. Play the demo to see if you like the base gameplay. Final game is pretty similar only with an open environment and more RPG elements (plug in chips to customize your style, more weapons and programs, etc.).

I didn't play Final Fantasy so I can't really compare the two. But, speaking as someone who did not like the first Nier outside of the music, I am extremely happy with this one. One of my favorite games this generation.

I wanna say there's no way this game comes out looking worse than XV, but I guess I'm not allowed to yet, so meh...

yup, freaking bought it two times... one times earlier on HK store, and one EU collector edition! Wasn't planning to, but the temptation was too high, i couldn't wait

Same, I could have gotten it cheap from Amazon if I waited, but I didn't want to take that chance with spoilers and if anyone deserves it, it's Yoko Taro.

Ended up buying it once through Amazon and once through the HK PSN.

Finalow

edit^ double dipping here as well, playing a digital copy now and getting a physical one (steelbook) later on.

someone here mentioned the "Amusement Park grinding method", with that enemy giving 15k exp or something, he didn't however mention that said enemy is level 80 :mad:
I went there with the promise of easy levels but I faced the sadness of my attacks doing 0 damage instead.

it's really interesting the way trigger that fight. I feel like most people don't even realize that 9S can do such things

also, did I already mention how good this game is. because it's really good, really *really* good.

someone here mentioned the "Amusement Park grinding method", with that enemy giving 15k exp or something, he didn't however mention that said enemy is level 80 :mad:
I went there with the promise of easy levels but I faced the sadness of my attacks doing 0 damage instead.

it's really interesting the way trigger that fight. I feel like most people don't even realize that 9S can do such things

also, did I already mention how good this game is. because it's really good, really *really* good.

well to be fair you don't really need to grind except for the
secret boss fight that's lvl 99... when you'll be like level 75, the hack will one-shot this lvl 80 boss and you will gain like 4-5 level at once (if you equip exp gain + to 100 %)

TissueBox

What if I was like a billionaire who loved the game so much that I bought 500,000 copies and gave them all out for free? Would we get another game?

I don't know but I'd say do it

Seriously though, think about it. If more Nier from Platinum and Taro becomes possible...you'll get better, improved mechanics from Platinum's side and more bonkers stories from Taro...I mean the best is practically yet to come.

ebil

So I made it to ending B and played a little after that. So far I'm pretty confident saying this is Taro Yoko's best game overall. It's really, really good.

Still, beginning of the route after ending B was a little frustrating
when 2B gets corrupted and you have to make it to the other end of the map while periodically losing control of your character.
I died more times there than during the rest of my playthrough. Idea was interesting, execution didn't make it very fun unfortunately.

Also, I basically got Bayonetta's
Witch Time
now. The amount of customization options for combat makes it really fun.

Finalow

well to be fair you don't really need to grind except for the
secret boss fight that's lvl 99... when you'll be like level 75, the hack will one-shot this lvl 80 boss and you will gain like 4-5 level at once (if you equip exp gain + to 100 %)
I know, I'm playing on hard but once you reach ng+ the difficulty can be quite trivial if you're using extremely broken (stackable) chips, I definitely don't need more levels at the moment.
I just wanted to try that method and see how good/quick it was, then, if needed, use it to gain some levels for whatever secret boss(es) the game throws at me.

IMO, it is about equal, in different ways

if only i could understand french :(

as much as i love nier automata, and yeah it's a pretty good score, gameblog is one of the worse french website outhere... no objectivity at all, sucks every editor by scoring lots of game WAY too high

but here's a quick translation for you :

+ Did everything better than the first one
+ Unique style and atmosphere
+ Really well done story and characters
+ Epic and Solid action
+ Really varied
+ break the 4th wall a lot
+ Amazing soundtrack
+ Often beautiful...

- ...But can also be really ugly
- Empty world (even if it's justified)
- Some repetitivity to get to the end

So... this is an amazing game. By far my GOTY.

Wanted to ask a few questions:

a)
When they talk about how there's a backdoor set-up in Yorha, does this mean that every time they get close to winning the war against the machines, something like what happens in the third playthrough occurs? And who exactly caused this to happen? IIRC, the top secret report stated that a few personnel were in the know about the true meaning of the project. Could these be the operators?

Also, I actually recall a suspicious NPC you can talk to at the beginning of the game in the bunker within the command room. She's on the upper level and says something about "They haven't noticed yet". Could that be tied into this?

b)
Who the hell is the ghost/hologram girl that you can sometimes see in cutscenes? Here's an example from Liam's stream: https://youtu.be/u5zDur3LZvw?t=55m1s

And you can see her at other points in the game. Another notable one to me is when on the second playthrough as 9S, after Adam, you take your flight unit to go to Earth to support 2B to fight Eve. In the small cutscene of him getting into the unit you can see the girl.

Okay I need help with the Speed Star quest. I'm on the second race and I get right to the finish line but because it takes forever for the character to climb a ledge I eND up losing. I have all of the speed and evade range up chips available to me equipped btw

Why didn't you care for XV?

I never played it except for that demo, and I got bored of it. ILL buy FF7 though, and I played IX on ps3 and X on ps2 and made it really far but stopped for some reason. But I liked those games

I loved dark cloud 2 and plan to get ni no kuni but I dont have the jrpg résume others do

Oh a demo! Ill try it then

cerulily

Does
accord
make an appearance? I'm on ending B.
She was only mentioned by the weapon shop guy. Just a reference?

Inuhanyou

You should also be aware timeffect that the demo does not represent the game 100%. The demo has a larger focus on hand to hand combat, and while you will be doing that a lot of that in the game itself, its much more varied in things to do, and should NOT be considered a traditional straightforward platinum action game in its complexity or priorities

Does
accord
make an appearance? I'm on ending B.
She was only mentioned by the weapon shop guy. Just a reference?

Just a reference.

Okay I need help with the Speed Star quest. I'm on the second race and I get right to the finish line but because it takes forever for the character to climb a ledge I eND up losing. I have all of the speed and evade range up chips available to me equipped btw

you can climb the tree by runing on it, it saves a little time! not really any other advice than that, it takes a few try but you can manage it pretty easily!

here's how to do the third one : you must go to the left and just follow the path around the crater until you reach the goal! It will be pretty close but it's doable

Inuhanyou

Aww too bad :(

I feel like
Accord being around fully would break the story, as she's obviously a higher level than anyone else we've seen in the Drakengard or Nier worlds, what her mission is makes her almost a god level figure compared to the rest in the story, and this is very much a mortal tale of much lower complexity androids and machines than she. Having her around would trivialize some of the drama, which is why i think we've only seen her in a game where she's trying to stop all the shit from happening in the first place at the source

You'll understand soon enough Bumperlips ^^

Ohh I mean I've played through. I should have said that I know
the red girls from the tower
. But I think the one shown in the link I posted sort of looks different. I don't know if that's just me looking at it differently or they can just appear differently at times.
Looks like she has curls/drill hair and blonde instead of black hair. Maybe it was just another thing I missed? Since at the end, they all looked the same anyway.

N° 2048

you can climb the tree by runing on it, it saves a little time! not really any other advice than that, it takes a few try but you can manage it pretty easily!

here's how to do the third one : you must go to the left and just follow the path around the crater until you reach the goal! It will be pretty close but it's doable

Did you do it with Speed Salve? The third race?

Top Bottom