• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Great! Probably gonna buy this during the day. Is the download in progress bug still a thing?

So long as you download the updates (up to 1.04 now) you should be fine, but I'd wait if possible regardless.

Do they show up in the cutscenes? 2B looks badass in your avatar.

later game story thing, or is she always blindfolded?

No, no, and no. (You asked two questions, but its best if you find out the answers by playing the game)

Just been to the
theme park and the music that kicked in immediately is so good, also the boss fight afterwards is fantastic and the hacking mini game confused me when it suddenly appeared in the fight.

This game just keeps getting better and better.

Greddleok

Was deciding between either this or Nioh to use my $15 PSN credit on. Yeah, it's gotta be this.

If it wasn't for that gif, I'd say Nioh. Haven't actually payed NieR yet, but it looks damn good. Playing through Bayonetta right now to get me in the mood for some platinum.

mollipen

First time I heard Weight of the World: "This song is so dumb."

Listening to Weight of the World now: *holding back tears*

Amazing how much my opinion on that song has changed just by hearing it multiple times. Also really interesting how it plays in English if you're on Japanese vocals, and in Japanese if you're on English vocals.

I asked rob when the review embargo is lifting, assuming that's something he's allowed to talk about

Reviews so far have said that there's no embargo for Japan/Asia versions, but haven't mentioned anything about NA/EU versions.

It's always been the latter for me, J'Nique Nicole has an amazing voice, and I'm a sucker for the percussion/piano combo.

Amazing how much my opinion on that song has changed just by hearing it multiple times. Also really interesting how it plays in English if you're on Japanese vocals, and in Japanese if you're on English vocals.

Does it? I've been trying to figure this out.

It seems like it plays a different version based off which ending you get.

It caught me off guard when I cleared Route B and I heard Japanese

HvySky

Absolutely should be this.

Getting more excited with every new impression I read.

If it wasn't for that gif, I'd say Nioh. Haven't actually payed NieR yet, but it looks damn good. Playing through Bayonetta right now to get me in the mood for some platinum.

Nioh looks absolutely right up my alley, loving the Soulsborne games and all, but NieR is very near and dear to my heart. Somehow this game flew under my radar for the longest time up until the last couple of months, and it looks amazing. Nioh can wait, for sure.

Getting more excited with every new impression I read.
Nioh looks absolutely right up my alley, loving the Soulsborne games and all, but NieR is very near and dear to my heart. Somehow this game flew under my radar for the longest time up until the last couple of months, and it looks amazing. Nioh can wait, for sure.

finished Nioh yesterday and I was a bit disappointed by the end product. I'm thinking about making a thread to talk about it.

jonjonaug

It really grows on you, yeah. The multilingual versions of the song along with some of the gameplay elements really showcase how Yoko Taro and Platinum wanted to make a game that could be enjoyed and bring people together worldwide.

It's cool to compare the lyrics to Ashes of Tears too.

mollipen

Does it? I've been trying to figure this out.

It seems like it plays a different version based off which ending you get.

Oh... maybe that's it? I played the first route in Japanese, and the second in English, so it just worked out that it seemed to swap the song's language depending on which I had chosen. If not, then whoops!

pezzie

Is that how it works? I kind of remember it playing the English version at the end of route A, and the Japanese at the end of route B.

Slaythe

I mean, since it's PSN credit, I'd get Nioh and then Nier on steam at 40 bucks.

Win win :D .

Also don't expect this game to be anywhere near bayonetta. Hell even the demo is kind of deceiving :p . Was disappointed at first but the game had enough of other stuff to make that go away.

i thought normal was really easy. I'd say play on hard if you want a challenge, altho on hard you get oneshotted by a lot of bosses.

It honestly doesn't have the best balancing.

Some fights on normal are not "easy" in the least if you don't actually get good chips / upgrades.

jonjonaug

How's the difficulty? I heard normal is already pretty hard?
IMO Normal is just a little too easy and Hard is just a little too hard. Easy mode is very easy and you can make it even easier with items that will let the game play itself.
Is that how it works? I kind of remember it playing the English version at the end of route A, and the Japanese at the end of route B.
Yeah this is how it works.

If anything, Normal is a bit too easy, and Hard is very challenging.

Many people seem to be starting on normal to get past the factory stage and its lack of save points, then switching to hard for the challenge.

To give you an idea, a strong hit in Normal will take 25-30% of your health, whereas on Hard, the hardest hits will OHKO you, while others will take 80% of your health. (Making HP+ / DEF+ plug-in chips, and good dodge timing much more valuable)

I'm usually not one for hard modes, but I found the Hard mode in NieR: Automata to be decently challenging while not outright unfair, rewarding, while not overly punishing.

Normal is fine, though it does become easier as you progress through the game due to the chips you can get. However, there's a huge gulf between it and Hard, where you'll constantly get 2HKO'd, or even 1HKO'd, by pretty much anything. Hard and Very Hard are some grade-A BS at times, so you'll want to stay on Normal to retain your sanity. Heck, I think the game even tells you that Normal is, to paraphrase, "probably the most enjoyable difficulty".

Slaythe

He didn't even bring up Bayonetta lol

was obviously responding to both of them

e1e1ab5bd348f259bd4aff76dea8baa0.png

Strings

Dunno about this. I'm finding hard to be a cakewalk (granted I'm like ~10 levels ahead of the enemies I'm fighting at all times somehow).

Also, just got done with C... Honestly thought it was pretty bad :/
9S's mental state was abysmally handled - just way too over-emotional, way too fast in response to unrelated shit.
Won't get into everything else that bothered me until I finish the rest.

JayEH

Platinum is usually very good with balancing on harder difficulties so disappointing to hear the news about Hard and very hard seems like no fun at all. I've done all normal, it's usually pretty easy especially since you can stock on health items or recovery chips.

same here, i found it way too simple for a keiichi okabe composition, i don't know how to say it... maybe too commercial, the kind of thing you can hear everywhere (plus i don't really like j'nique nicole)

but then the final version of this song in
ENDING E
felt amazing, especially when the chorus kicked in! Felt so much like
UNdertale... and then i learned that yoko taro played the game, can't be a coincidence

Jiraiza

Platinum is usually very good with balancing on harder difficulties so disappointing to hear the news about Hard and very hard seems like no fun at all. I've done all normal, it's usually pretty easy especially since you can stock on health items or recovery chips.

You can offset the difficulty in Hard by stacking HP or defense chips.

LotusHD

Banned
was obviously responding to both of them

e1e1ab5bd348f259bd4aff76dea8baa0.png

I'm just saying, I occasionally keep seeing this implication that the game's combat is some massive disappointment compared to stuff like Bayonetta, that every person that's potentially interested in this is some Platinum fan that needs to have their expectations in check.

Meanwhile I'm like, damn, the majority of the time I don't think it's that deep unless they explicitly asked otherwise.

You can offset the difficulty in Hard by stacking HP or defense chips.

This is exactly what I did - I honestly find it perfectly balanced with a good Melee/Ranged DEF+ chip installed.

It's why those chips are there in the first place, I'd say. (They don't see much use in Normal)

pezzie

I'm not a pro on character action games, so I've been playing it on normal. That said, I've only died twice so far, and the first time was because I picked a fight with a moose when I was level 5 haha.

Hard sounds pretty unfun though. Any one shot deal is not something I'd want to play. I am still having a blast on normal mode.

Hektor

This is exactly what I did - I honestly find it perfectly balanced with a good Melee/Ranged DEF+ chip installed.

It's why those chips are there in the first place, I'd say. (They don't see much use in Normal)

I don't think it's the chip systems purpose to make you able to survive a single hit on hard by stacking a bunch of defense single mindedly, sure it's a way to circumvent that, but not exactly a satisfying one, especially when that mean you miss out on the actually fun chips like witch time and shockwave and such.

I generally think hard shouldn't have one hit you with most boss attacks (unless you're underleveld of course) when there's also a dedicated one-shot mode in the game, it makes the ladder half pointless.

JayEH

I'm just saying, I occasionally keep seeing this implication that the game's combat is some massive disappointment compared to stuff like Bayonetta, that every person that's potentially interested in this is some Platinum fan that needs to have their expectations in check.

Meanwhile I'm like, damn, the majority of the time I don't think it's that deep unless they explicitly asked otherwise.

To be fair the demo and early marketing was hiding a lot of the rpg/open world stuff until recently so some might get the wrong idea on the game. This is it's own thing which is fine and quite good but nothing wrong with the warning imo.

I generally think hard shouldn't have one hit you with most boss attacks (unless yuo're underleveld of course) when there's also a dedicated one-shot mode in the game, it makes the ladder half pointless.

Honestly, the only one-hit-kills I've experienced in the game came from me taking on more than I could chew. (i.e: Facing the Opera Boss @ level 9, Taking on a Level 30 enemy at level 24, etc.)

Outside of that, I can't help but feel like the hits doing 80% adds a sense of urgency to every dodge, and impact to every hit taken. I never felt the need to equip many support/attack chips past the shockwave, auto-use-item, and drop-rate chips, so I had the room available to equip good DEF/HP chips.

Squire

Banned
Temptation... to make... review thread... rising...

(But seriously, so far the game is sitting at a 90-91% on Open Critic. It's bound to go down as more reviews come in, but I'd like to think it's a good sign.)

Considering the tone of most of the preview coverage and the effort SE seems to have put in to promote it, I bet it does better than people anticipate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Considering the tone of most of the preview coverage and the effort SE seems to have put in to promote it, I bet it does better than people anticipate.

I increasingly hope so, because this game has everything i like the best in gaming rolled into one. Great storyline, excellent music, fine gameplay and a world under mystique backed up by a tremendous lore

Plus i just want to see a Yoko Taro game super succeed for once xD

Dual Shockers should be added to the count right?

Pejo

Aw yea, just got notifications from S-E that my Black Box edition just shipped today. For some reason I thought this game came out in the US this week, but apparently it's next week.

mollipen

I think now that others have replied that I'm wrong. Sounds like it's just set to play in English in A and Japanese in B no matter what. I just happened to play A in Japanese and B in English so though it was the opposite of what you set voice-wise.

LotusHD

Banned
I increasingly hope so, because this game has everything i like the best in gaming rolled into one. Great storyline, excellent music, fine gameplay and a world under mystique backed up by a tremendous lore

Plus i just want to see a Yoko Taro game super succeed for once xD

Dual Shockers should be added to the count right?

Yea DS counts.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So how is the soundtrack? I consider nier to have the goat.

11 out of 10. I consider it on the same level. But my opinion is just one

I really REALLY love Nicole's contribution to the soundtrack, her backstory in itself is pretty interesting to come together for this soundtrack

Top Bottom