• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Review thread ready to go - just waiting on those last few numbers.

Cool was just gonna ask about reviews. I've never heard of this game until literally I saw this thread, didn't know it was made by platinum games.

I think I'm gonna wait for the b2g1 at target, pick up nier, horizon and one other game not sure what. If anyone can make a recommendation that'd be cool I'm outta the loop for video games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I actually really dug the first Nier (the story especially). Played through the original Drakengard too, but that was over a decade ago and I can hardly remember it.

But yeah, dug route A, and was excited to see where it would go. Feel like nothing happened in B. C
stripped away everything interesting about 9S, and introduced A2, who is completely superfluous to the story to me. Most of it felt like filler too - waiting for YoRHa to fall, waiting for A2 to make her way to Pascal's Village so she can instantly drop her prejudice, so it can be nuked, waiting for 9S to rage through the resource towers so he can get to the actual interesting tower, etc.

To top it all off, who was behind the machines sudden spike in intelligence / competence? The machines! Then the game ends :( My pet theory was that the 9S from A/B route was a separate entity to C route, and was the intelligence directing the destruction of YoRHa, in keeping with his inhabiting the machine network from the A/B end, but that is just kind of ignored.

Didn't mean to launch into a rant >.<

:/ I'm sorry it didn't turn out to your expectation...i can't say i relate because a lot of what you said there feels like you were very cynical on the story beats after a certain point, but again, we have our different views on the material i suppose.

I feel like a lot of that criticism could have been levied at the original game's story beats as well for someone going through, which i suppose is also a compliment to Yoko Taro in staying consistent

mindsale

I played the Demo, finally, while waiting for Horizon to install, and after 4 hours of Horizon I'd say I had much more fun with NieR. I'm not sure I 100% love the lock-on functionality (I understand I can re-map buttons), but the soundtrack was great, combat was fast and fluid.

JayEH

How many trophies did you buy though?

Sorry, not saying this as an attack but the trophy for sidequest completion requires 80% done so unless that's a typo, your 28hr time isn't exactly legit!

Again let me stress, not trying to be disrespectful, its your game and you are 100% entitled to complete it as you see fit, I just find it fascinating how the ability to buy Trophies affects the perceived value of Platinuming the game from an outsider's standpoint.

Bought most of them haha. I didn't mean to imply you can get the platinum normally in that amount of time.

Inuhanyou

Cool was just gonna ask about reviews. I've never heard of this game until literally I saw this thread, didn't know it was made by platinum games.

I think I'm gonna wait for the b2g1 at target, pick up nier, horizon and one other game not sure what. If anyone can make a recommendation that'd be cool I'm outta the loop for video games.

Did you play Nioh?

N° 2048

Route B is interesting:

-Music changes when hacking
-and memory sections are cool so far, like Beauvoir's past.

How many trophies did you buy though?

Sorry, not saying this as an attack but the trophy for sidequest completion requires 80% done so unless that's a typo, your 28hr time isn't exactly legit!

Again let me stress, not trying to be disrespectful, its your game and you are 100% entitled to complete it as you see fit, I just find it fascinating how the ability to buy Trophies affects the perceived value of Platinuming the game from an outsider's standpoint.

You can buy PS trophies?....

Inuhanyou

Man to pass the time i went back and read some of Nier's original reviews..."ugly, uninspired, boring characters, terrible graphics, lifeless world", holy moly. It feels like some of the reviewers had an axe to grind that year. But then you'll find some good ones that see the gem underneath.

Ironically RPG fan gave it an 8.8 then and now give Automata a 9

At the shop yeah, for in game currency.

Strings

Yeah,
after completing 3 routes.
I used it to grab the upskirt trophy (because wtf?) and weapon and pod upgrade ones, which got me the platinum in ~41 hours.

... I ended the game with like 1.1m before selling all my items, which might actually be enough to buy all of them (why isn't there more to spend money on :(?).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Man to pass the time i went back and read some of Nier's original reviews..."ugly, uninspired, boring characters, terrible graphics, lifeless world", holy moly. It feels like some of the reviewers had an axe to grind that year. But then you'll find some good ones that see the gem underneath.

Call it the FFXIII effect. Nier arrived at the peak of the backlash against that game and I guess that a lot of reviewers felt the need to be harsh lest the be accused of giving SE games an easy ride.

The funny thing is, looking back now I don't think Nier is actually artistically and technically a good bit better than its reputation suggests. Sure the protagonist is ugly, but that's kind of the point, and the rest of the characters all look pretty good - particularly in the cut-scenes.

Also its reputation for drabness is somewhat undeserved, as it is (much like Automata) an artistic choice. In the first half of the game the world is relatively bright and cheerful looking, however the impact of the second half where everything is much greyer and grimmer is so strong, you tend to forget it, as you do its far lighter and humorous tone generally.

Despera

Banned

Ironically RPG fan gave it an 8.8 then and now give Automata a 9

At the shop yeah, for in game currency.
Actually RPG Fan has 2 reviews for Nier, one gave it a 8.8 the other gave it a 9 with an "Editor's Choice" award.

Call it the FFXIII effect. Nier arrived at the peak of the backlash against that game and I guess that a lot of reviewers felt the need to be harsh lest the be accused of giving SE games an easy ride.

The funny thing is, looking back now I don't think Nier is actually artistically and technically a good bit better than its reputation suggests. Sure the protagonist is ugly, but that's kind of the point, and the rest of the characters all look pretty good - particularly in the cut-scenes.

Also its reputation for drabness is somewhat undeserved, as it is (much like Automata) an artistic choice. In the first half of the game the world is relatively bright and cheerful looking, however the impact of the second half where everything is much greyer and grimmer is so strong, you tend to forget it, as you do its far lighter and humorous tone generally.

I also don't feel the combat is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. It's serviceable and the magic system is fun.

So I had a little side story (not quest, although a side quest is involved) happen that apparently some folks didn't get, and I'm really curious what the parameters for getting it are now. There are some minor spoilers for route A and some MAJOR spoilers for Route C/D here, so only folks who are into C/D look at this is if you're worried about spoiling something.

I got a little blossoming romance (maybe? That's how I read it but I could be wrong) between 2B and 6O. Here's what happened in order:

-After visiting Pascal's village for the first time and leaving to head towards the marker for the inventor sidequest, I got a call from 6O. She was crying and there was this sort of funny/sad scene where she tries to cry on 2B's shoulder so to speak about getting turned down by another operator she asked on a date. She said she didn't know if she had a reason to go on living anymore because she was so lonely, and 2B says that she needs her operator to stay focused. 6O takes this as 2B saying she needs her, thanks her, and hangs up. It's a pretty funny scene on its own and it was well acted in the dub.

-In the city ruins, I got another call from 6O trying to chat. She tries to get chummy again and says that she's over the other woman she asked out. She then asks 2B how she's doing, and then starts talking about how cute all the animals on Earth are, how nice the sun must feel, etc etc. She then drops a massive hint that she'd like 2B to take her to see the surface one day. 2B basically just says "cool" and either doesn't get or ignores the hint. 6O sounds apologetic and hangs up, and 2B does her "....." shtick.

-I got another call from 6O in the Resistance camp. It was right after I picked up one of the items that occasionally appear in the flowerbed, but I can't say if that's the actual trigger or not. She starts talking about flowers and how pretty they are, and 2B opens up and says she's seen a lot of different flowers on Earth. She offers to take a picture to send to 6O, who is thrilled. This is the only actual side quest portion of this whole thing; she asks for a desert rose.

-I went and got a desert rose to take a picture of and 2B and 6O have a very natural conversation about flowers where 2B completely drops her typical professional hardass act. It's a really nice earnest moment. (side note - I got a funny sort-of-sequence-break here, because 2B mentions that she's seen Lunar Tears, even though I had not done the quest about learning about them yet)

Anyway, here's the big massive bummer part of this:

-In Route C/D when the Bunker is infected with the virus and you're escaping to the hangar, after 2B observes that some of the infected are still conscious, 6O's voice is heard, and in a really choppy/fucked up voice says something along the lines of "thank you for the flowers 2B, thank you for giving me something to live for" (incidentally, a similar voice clip played after fighting Hegel when A2 is confronting the memories of 2B)

Obviously this needs to be triggered somehow for a 100% run since there is one actually logged side quest involved, but I'm curious if there's something that actually triggers the calls that lead to the quest, or if it was entirely random. A couple of people I've spoken to now have mentioned that they never got these conversations.

Squire

Banned
If you ask me, it feels like Taro's the only one pushing the boundary when it comes to abusing the creative platform that games give to a storyteller. It kept each route refreshing for me and also enhanced the story for me. I won't comment on the suffering the programmers had to go through, though.

My main appeal in games tends to be the story, so I'm very appreciative of the risks taken in this game. It ultimately paid out in the end.

Yeah, I'm very into it on paper. He's telling good stories while breaking all kinds of conventions while PG are generally known fit being craftsmen - the designer's designers, if you will. Seems to be a great mix.

Divisiveness is good a d very healthy for art in every form. I really encourage people to not be bummed out if they see a 6 or 7 from anywhere.

What's the basic play time of this game so far? I'm hesitant to jump in if it's 35+ hours long. Wasn't feeling the demo much and I guess I've been wrongly expecting combat to be as fun and exciting as MGR at the very least (the demo wasn't, for me) so that too is holding me back.

HO GOD... just finished the quest where you must gather ennemy unit data...
there's a unique track that isn't even on
the jukebox at the resistance camp...

dispossession remix
in music box, with emi evans singing!

Really hope someone will catch that and upload it on youtube... or that the official soundtrack include it!

N° 2048

How long are the Routes? Can someone spoiler tag the answer? Appreciated.

Finished Route A, working on Route B now.

Played demo then i died and it reser everything

It seems fun. Love the style but am unaure if Ill like it overall

Like open world games, my fear is losing interest in a long game that gets bloated

I dig the combat though Im mostly pressing square lol.

Is there towns to visit?

mollipen

This game is making me fucking hate robots.

So I had a little side story (not quest, although a side quest is involved) happen that apparently some folks didn't get, and I'm really curious what the parameters for getting it are now. There are some minor spoilers for route A and some MAJOR spoilers for Route C/D here, so only folks who are into C/D look at this is if you're worried about spoiling something.

I was already
shipping
them, so. That first call definitely made my ears perk up.

Philippo

Man, this thing that Taro opted for a more thought-provoking plot and have a bit less emotional packing scenes kind of bums me down, deep down i only wanted more scenes like these.
But by the way some of you guys describe it, it seems the game is a bit light of those.

Well, it's still going to be one (if not the) best story of the generation lol

JayEH

Man, this thing that Taro opted for a more thought-provoking plot and have a bit less emotional packing scenes kind of bums me down, deep down i only wanted more scenes like these.
But by the way some of you guys describe it, it seems the game is a bit light of those.

it does have plenty of emotional scenes

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How long are the Routes? Can someone spoiler tag the answer? Appreciated.

Finished Route A, working on Route B now.
A - 22-24 hours (all sidequests), B - 5-6 hours (all sidequests), C - 4-5 hours (no sidequests)
for me.

Do we know info on review embargo?

Seems like the game turned up pretty good from the impressions here. I probably will buy it after I'm done with Nioh and skip Horizon for now just to support the underdog even doe I kinda find the basic enemy robot desing in NieR pretty bland.

I dunno, this game has gut-punched me a few times already. Some of it isn't in big scenes but I think this game is just as emotionally resonant if not moreso than the first game - of course, a lot of that comes down to personal taste/experience.

(Route A, B, C/D spoilers abound)

-The Beauvoir fight was already very striking the first time, but the full story from route B was devastating, and in turn made the Satre quest all the more queasy.

-It turns out alright in the end (well... sorta if you pretend nothing happens after) but the long, musicless scene of 2B strangling and crying over 9S was heavy.

-The 2B/6O relationship ending with "thank you for the flowers"

-The delivery of "Oh... Nines."

A lot of it is smaller stuff though - also spoilers but

basically the entire concept of the machine awakening is fascinating and simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking. The way each area has machines trying out different aspects of human culture and history - warmaking tribes, the birthing room where robots are pretending to have sex, give birth, and care for children, the gag about capitalism being unnecessary for machines because they're all equal - there's some amazing stuff to unpack in the game and it has made me feel a lot of ways while playing.

This game actually reminds me a lot of Majora's Mask just in terms of the breadth of topics it explores and its overall sense of melancholy, as well as finding the small heartwarming moments in all that sadness.

Seems like the game turned up pretty good from the impressions here. I probably will buy it after I'm done with Nioh and skip Horizon for now just to support the underdog even doe I kinda find the basic enemy robot desing in NieR pretty bland.

We don't know when it officially lifts yet.

Slater

Banned
I dunno, this game has gut-punched me a few times already. Some of it isn't in big scenes but I think this game is just as emotionally resonant if not moreso than the first game - of course, a lot of that comes down to personal taste/experience.

(Route A, B, C/D spoilers abound)

-The Beauvoir fight was already very striking the first time, but the full story from route B was devastating, and in turn made the Satre quest all the more queasy.

-It turns out alright in the end (well... sorta if you pretend nothing happens after) but the long, musicless scene of 2B strangling and crying over 9S was heavy.

-The 2B/6O relationship ending with "thank you for the flowers"

-The delivery of "Oh... Nines."

A lot of it is smaller stuff though - also spoilers but

basically the entire concept of the machine awakening is fascinating and simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking. The way each area has machines trying out different aspects of human culture and history - warmaking tribes, the birthing room where robots are pretending to have sex, give birth, and care for children, the gag about capitalism being unnecessary for machines because they're all equal - there's some amazing stuff to unpack in the game and it has made me feel a lot of ways while playing.

This game actually reminds me a lot of Majora's Mask just in terms of the breadth of topics it explores and its overall sense of melancholy, as well as finding the small heartwarming moments in all that sadness.

Personally 2B and 9S' relationship hit me the most, especially
Them planning to go on a shopping date, super cute at the time, then route C happened and I found her last message to 9S, what a guy punch.

Taro deserves more credit for how well he writes relationships.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
A question to people who finished ending E.
Did you offer to help other players during the credit section? I did and sacrificed my save in the process. It felt kind of bad, but I was done with the game anyway and wasn't planning to go back to it.

Slaythe

You really don't want to skip Horizon.

g2ERUTC.gif

Untitledh.gif

Untitled-1c9a0e.gif

Nor Nier.

Buy both. We all sacrificed our wallets this month.

Top Bottom