• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Paragon

Well the battery on my DS4 died since I tried playing a game with it for more than 30 minutes, and I tried out the keyboard and mouse setup.
It's really bad.

Mouse inputs have the same acceleration problem as gamepad inputs.
Slow movements turn the camera a lot, while fast movements turn it very little.
I don't understand how developers keep getting this wrong.

No matter what I do, I just can't get a stable framerate, tried putting on low settings, medium, custom, there will always be drops, ALWAYS.
Best config that I could get working was fullscreen + 2x AA, it stays around 60-50, but it's not good. Should have bought this on PS4 :(
Anti-aliasing should be disabled on a 1060, since a 1070 drops frames with it enabled.

PS4 drops to 40s sometimes with lower settings than yours.
Stick to this, try to forget about it and enjoy it, or you could wait for a fix/patch.
I do not understand the "it's not a perfect 60, therefore I should buy it on a console" attitude at all.
If your high-end PC is unable to run the game at 60, in what world is it going to be a better experience on the console?

I understand wanting games to run at a perfect 60 - though I think the reality of the situation is that you should buy a variable refresh rate display (G-Sync/FreeSync) if you care that much about smooth gameplay.
A perfect 60 seems to be unattainable in many new games these days.

I'm guilty of this myself though. I want a perfect 60, yet I still have a 60Hz display, as I just can't go from a high-end TV to a 27" monitor.
I could maybe see myself buying a 34" ultrawide if it supported high refresh rates and HDR (basically a wide PG27UQ) but not any of the current models.
But at this point I'm thinking HDMI 2.1 OLED TVs will be available first.

Well the battery on my DS4 died since I tried playing a game with it for more than 30 minutes, and I tried out the keyboard and mouse setup.
It's really bad.

Mouse inputs have the same acceleration problem as gamepad inputs.
Slow movements turn the camera a lot, while fast movements turn it very little.
I don't understand how developers keep getting this wrong.

Well, shit... Is the LB button bound to anything important? I do have a gamepad, but its LB button is broken so I'll use it if I can safely rebind it to something else.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
This is the area where performance goes to shit on the PS4 Pro and the part of the game I was waiting to hear impressions on before double dipping for the PC version. I have the same set up with a 980ti, so it sounds like I have my answer :(

It's worth noting this seems to have resolved itself for me with a reboot of the game/PC. Might be an isolated issue (nobody else has confirmed it happening to them)

Zanzura

Well, shit... Is the LB button bound to anything important? I do have a gamepad, but its LB button is broken so I'll use it if I can safely rebind it to something else.

Well, there's a lock-on button that's disabled on higher difficulties and a flashlight feature that AFAIK isn't totally necessary, so you have 2 things to safely unbind.

According to someone in Steam discussions, you can still pet the pod by moving the mouse around a bunch? I'm going to test that now and will edit this post after confirming.

EDIT: Yep, works. Just make sure you're actually controlling the camera with the mouse.

Well, there's a lock-on button that's disabled on higher difficulties and a flashlight feature that AFAIK isn't totally necessary, so you have 2 things to safely unbind.

According to someone in Steam discussions, you can still pet the pod by moving the mouse around a bunch? I'm going to test that now and will edit this post after confirming.
Thanks a whole bunch!

OK, I think I'm going to take a nap until the DL finishes in one and a half hours.

Oh my god has anyone gotten to this part?

Spoiler for fairly early on:
The part where you climb up the deactivated goliath and fight the rogue androids

The game turns into a literal slideshow anywhere near this thing. Hitching so bad the FPS drops to 30 average. And not even a consistent 30, the game will actually take like 1/3 of a second to get a frame out, go back to 60 for another half second, then just tank again constantly over and over.

i7 6700K OC 4.6GHz
GTX1080
16GB DDR4

Has anyone else come across this?
Brutal.

Similar setup but without an OC on my 6700K and I have a 980ti w/small overclock instead (+210 core clock, +320 mem clock).

I had no hitching in any of the gameplay, running at 1440p and graphics options set to high (I think that turns all options on to max). I do get stuttering in pretty much all of the cutscenes though, it looks like they run at around 20fps. I think that might be because they seem to use some very heavy fog effects for style, and that might be dropping frames, but I'm not sure.

Just had an infinite load in the mission after that, when you head to the area marked on the map (super mild post-tutorial spoilers)
to meet the rebels
. You go into an alley and then all the lighting started flickering and an "Area Loading" message popped up. Had to quit the game from task manager.

Gbraga

Yeah, disable lock-on and that will free you L2 already. I have my buttons all working and I still disabled lock-on.

If you don't want to lose it, though, you can just remap R3 (center camera) as lock-on.

Jiraiza

There's no analog character movement, only three movement speeds; walking/running, and holding RT to sprint.
The game doesn't remember the state of the right trigger, so if you're sprinting and then pick up an item or run into something that slows you down, you have to release RT and press it again.
That might be fine on a dual-analog controller, but I have that mapped to the outer edge of the touchpad which makes it really annoying. If you're not familiar with the Steam Controller, it works like this.
Dodging is unreliable with RT on the outer ring, so it also needs to be mapped to a button for that. I can't just hit the outer-ring binding to dodge attacks; that ends up sprinting instead of dodging.

Seems like an okay port at best.
Assuming they sort out the pre-rendered cutscene problems, it's surely a better way to play the game than the console version if your PC is fast enough.
It's just more demanding than you might expect.

You don't actually have to hold the evade button to sprint. Unless I'm misunderstanding you here. The sprint is triggered by doing an evade and you'll transition into the sprint right after.

I'm really sad about this game.

No matter what I do, I just can't get a stable framerate, tried putting on low settings, medium, custom, there will always be drops, ALWAYS.

Best config that I could get working was fullscreen + 2x AA, it stays around 60-50, but it's not good. Should have bought this on PS4 :(

Steam denied my refund request because I played around 8 hours.

My laptop has a GTX 1060, i7 6700HQ and 8GB RAM.

I just don't know what to do.

On PS4, you would've got 900p, no AA and 40 to 60fps. On PS4 Pro, you would've got 1080p, post process AA and 40 to 60fps. You're getting 1080p, MSAAx2, 50 to 60fps. I don't know what's to regret here.

Anteater

I'm really sad about this game.

Steam denied my refund request because I played around 8 hours.

My laptop has a GTX 1060, i7 6700HQ and 8GB RAM.

I just don't know what to do.

overclock your gpu, disable the AA, MSAA 2x barely makes any difference, AO already comes with postprocessing AA

Mad Max

OCed 7700k/980ti:

Runs at locked 1080/60fps with everything maxed out and 4X AA. But if I downsample from 1440p it will dip below 60fps from time to time, mostly due to the AA it seems. Having an annoying issue though where my mouse cursor keeps flashing in the center of the screen randomly during gameplay and cutscenes. (playing with a 360 pad) Haven't been able to fix this so far.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Similar setup but without an OC on my 6700K and I have a 980ti w/small overclock instead (+210 core clock, +320 mem clock).

I had no hitching in any of the gameplay, running at 1440p and graphics options set to high (I think that turns all options on to max). I do get stuttering in pretty much all of the cutscenes though, it looks like they run at around 20fps. I think that might be because they seem to use some very heavy fog effects for style, and that might be dropping frames, but I'm not sure.

Just had an infinite load in the mission after that, when you head to the area marked on the map (super mild post-tutorial spoilers)
to meet the rebels
. You go into an alley and then all the lighting started flickering and an "Area Loading" message popped up. Had to quit the game from task manager.

The cutscenes are a common problem. They're prerendered, so effects should have zero bearing on cutscene FPS (it's just playing a video). Possibly a set of bad renders or a problem with whatever they're using for encode/decode since the FPS counter in Steam says they're 30 locked.

I had that "Area Loading" message pop up once but I think it was an isolated incident, since I haven't had it happen since.

So no graphical settings for draw distances/LODs?

And I wouldn't get much better than 1080p with my 480 seeing what a 1060 does, so I guess I'm not double dipping for this, at least not for $60.

So, based on these impressions, just how fucked I am with:

Intel(R) Core i7-6700HQ 2.60GHZ
Nvidia GTX 960m 2gb vram
8 RAM?

I expected to be severely fucked, but something tells me, that even preparing for the worst I am still fucked...

Carlius

Banned

Nvidia GTX 960m 2gb vram
8 RAM?

I expected to be severely fucked, but something tells me, that even preparing for the worst I am still fucked...

2gb vram just doesnt cut it anymore...

Zanzura

Nvidia GTX 960m 2gb vram
8 RAM?

Based on other reports, not good at all for 960 users, probably more so for the mobile variant, especially if you want 1080p. The 970 can handle 1080p at 55-60 fps but even then there's a tiny chance the game just hates you and goes sub 30 for whatever reason. I'm lucky enough to be in the former category.

So I got to the
factory
in the opening part of the game, and the game decided to freeze the visuals and only let the audio/gameplay work. Tried to get out of it, and it crashed my computer.

I'm guessing I'll be sent back to the very beginning.

dr_rus

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I can't seem to get full screen to render at above 900p on either a 1440p monitor connected via displayport, or a 4K TV using HDMI. What version of Nvidia drivers are you using if you don't mind my asking?
378.78. There's something strange with postprocessing in high resolutions though.

Yesterday when I first tried the game, the resolution issue kinda fixed itself. After not saving a graphic option and reverting it, the game actually applied the correct resolution. Today though, no dice. If I do it, it changes to windowed.

Also, from what I've read, it's better to turn AO off? It eliminates the pop-in I've read

ezodagrom

Based on other reports, not good at all for 960 users, probably more so for the mobile variant, especially if you want 1080p. The 970 can handle 1080p at 55-60 fps but even then there's a tiny chance the game just hates you and goes sub 30 for whatever reason. I'm lucky enough to be in the former category.
960M is comparable to the desktop 750 Ti (same core).

Also, from what I've read, it's better to turn AO off? It eliminates the pop-in I've read
If you turn AO off, you'll have to use some external form of AA (like reshade's SMAA I guess), since post-processing AA is tied to the AO option (the in-game AA options aren't good, they're especially bad if AO is turned off).

It's running quite well for me.

980ti/i5 4690/16 GB RAM/1440p

However, I have to turn off AA. x2 AA gives me like, 45 fps while AA off gives me 58 - 60 FPS. That fluctuation is fine for me because I have Gsync, but if I didn't I'm sure I could turn down another setting and pretty much lock it.

Zomba13

So I got to the
factory
in the opening part of the game, and the game decided to freeze the visuals and only let the audio/gameplay work. Tried to get out of it, and it crashed my computer.

I'm guessing I'll be sent back to the very beginning.

For me it does that consistently when trying full-screen on my TV (via the borderless gaming method because otherwise I get the shitty broken "fullscreen"). I managed to get past it by playing windowed at 1600x900. Though earlier I did get the issue again while windowed then tried again and played for over an hour with no issue so I dunno. Windowed seems more consistently working though.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
I will say, and this MIGHT just be me, turning off AO and AA seems to have reduced the "micro stutter" I was seeing. Thankfully at 2560x1440 it already looks pretty sharp even without AA.

It also seems to soften the LoD pop-in in the city.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
For me it does that consistently when trying full-screen on my TV (via the borderless gaming method because otherwise I get the shitty broken "fullscreen"). I managed to get past it by playing windowed at 1600x900. Though earlier I did get the issue again while windowed then tried again and played for over an hour with no issue so I dunno. Windowed seems more consistently working though.

I've had this happen when I attempt to change monitor settings like refresh rate and resolution while the game is currently running fullscreen. Maybe something is getting tweaked after the game boots up?

Bought the game after watching totalbiscuit's commentary

Very strange that you cant change graphics options until you are in the game, and it assigns the options to the save file. Seems like potential problem for people that have to change graphics card or resolution for some reason, though in practive not sure how common that would be.

Copper

6600k @ 4.6ghz
GTX 1070 Strix
16 GB Ram
Windows 10

Running it at 2560 x 1080 with all settings maxed with blur turned off with 2x AA

Game runs mostly 60 but I do get some drops to 58. It isn't a solid 60. I'm using the windowed borderless gaming program. I take it there isn't a way to run it at 3440 x 1440 with it? It just offsets on my screen when I set it to that resolution.

gngf123

『Inaba Resident』;232306443 said:
So with these specs, where am I looking at performance wise?

i5-4460 @ 3.2Ghz
R9 380 4GB
8GB Ram

Was hoping I could get a steady 60fps at 1080p

I've seen people with similar builds to yours but with a better CPU getting 50-60fps at 1080p with settings turned down.

It's hard to predict exactly, but you could always buy and refund.

Zomba13

I've had this happen when I attempt to change monitor settings like refresh rate and resolution while the game is currently running fullscreen. Maybe something is getting tweaked after the game boots up?

Not to my knowledge. The TV definitely changes modes whenever you try and launch it fullscreened on it (does the broken fullscreen and the TV mode switched to 1080i).

Someone on steam mentioned it might have something to do with the Nvidia drivers crashing then recovering but I don't know. The time it happened windowed my monitor did flicker then the window went white (while you could still hear sound effects and music and menu tones when moving the controller) but there wasn't the little popup by the Nvidia experience thing that says "driver crashed and recovered" like has happened in the past.

Paragon

You don't actually have to hold the evade button to sprint. Unless I'm misunderstanding you here. The sprint is triggered by doing an evade and you'll transition into the sprint right after.
It might be difficult to picture if you haven't used a Steam Controller.
The touchpads on a Steam Controller are maybe three times the size of the travel distance that an analog stick has.
So you can have the center portion of the touchpad for analog movement and assign a button (run/sprint) to the outer edge.
This puts the full range of movement on a single input instead of having to press/hold a button, which works really well in most third-person games.

As you say, in Nier you just have to tap the button to start sprinting in a direction.
But the game doesn't let you hold it to continue sprinting when 2B stumbles over something or you pick up an item. You have to release it and hit the button again.
With that bound to the edge of the touchpad instead of a button, you end up having to pull your thumb back and go forward again to sprint. It's just awkward.

That's a very minor issue compared to the negative acceleration that the game has when aiming.
You don't notice it on an analog stick, but with touchpads, gyro, or mouse aiming, it's a disaster.

I managed to get the game running at stable 3440x1440/60 (I'm guessing the game logic doesn't allow it to run faster than that?) by forcing SLi with NVidia Inspector across two 980s. Hopefully SE/P* plan performance patches and proper SLi support down the road because the game isn't well optimized at launch.

21:9 is great during gameplay but none of the cutscenes are running at the correct resolution for me.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Not to my knowledge. The TV definitely changes modes whenever you try and launch it fullscreened on it (does the broken fullscreen and the TV mode switched to 1080i).

Someone on steam mentioned it might have something to do with the Nvidia drivers crashing then recovering but I don't know. The time it happened windowed my monitor did flicker then the window went white (while you could still hear sound effects and music and menu tones when moving the controller) but there wasn't the little popup by the Nvidia experience thing that says "driver crashed and recovered" like has happened in the past.

Yeah you'll usually get that little NVidia message saying the driver crashed.

You said you're outputting to a TV right? Are there any settings that could be mucking with the refresh rate? Something like that Smooth Motion 120/240Hz stuff they were all about putting in TVs a couple years back?

I managed to get the game running at stable 3440x1440/60 (I'm guessing the game logic doesn't allow it to run faster than that?) but forcing SLi with NVidia Inspector across two 980s. Hopefully SE/P* plan performance patches and proper SLi support down the road because the game isn't well optimized at launch.

21:9 is great during gameplay but none of the cutscenes are running at the correct resolution for me.

Correct, the game is locked at 60.

Zomba13

Yeah you'll usually get that little NVidia message saying the driver crashed.

You said you're outputting to a TV right? Are there any settings that could be mucking with the refresh rate? Something like that Smooth Motion 120/240Hz stuff they were all about putting in TVs a couple years back?

Nah I've turned off all the bullshit weird post processing and funky stuff on my TV. It's just HDMI to the TV. I managed to get the white screen crash even on my monitor while windowed without the TV even on so I dunno wtf is going on. Sometimes it's ok windowed, sometimes it isn't but fullscreen on the TV is broken 100% of the times.

Correct, the game is locked at 60.

OK, not deal breaking but playing the DMCs on PC with unlocked rates were a great experience.
So what's up with the prerendered cutscenes? They're clearly WAY under 30 fps quite often. Is it like this on PS4 too?
I don't understand what the point is if the cutscenes are developed in engine anyway. So few games are still doing this and it's really immersion breaking.

robgrab

So do I need to do some sort of ritual? Like a sacrifice or something? What animal did you use? Be honest.
To be completely honest I never even tried full screen mode until much later in because I immediately started with borderless Windowed mode using Borderless Gaming because I have a 3440x1440 G-sync monitor. That's where I noticed it wasn't outputting a true 3440x1440 image. When I switched to full screen at 2560x1440 I noticed it wasn't scaling anymore and rendered a true 1440p image. You can see that in the screenshot comparison I posted. Those are full 2560x1440.

bbd23

I dont think I've noticed cutscenes being lower than 30 fps after the main tutorial stuff but im not 100% there. it was very noticeable in the tutorial though

aravuus

Any fixes for the awful cutscene framerates? Someone on reddit suggested setting max pre-rendered frames to 4 with Nvidia GPUs and turning off vsync, but it didn't help me at all.

I want to play the game so much, but the scenes are so goddamn awful at times I don't know what to do lol

Any fixes for the awful cutscene framerates? Someone on reddit suggested setting max pre-rendered frames to 4 with Nvidia GPUs and turning off vsync, but it didn't help me at all.

I want to play the game so much, but the scenes are so goddamn awful at times I don't know what to do lol

For real, I need a fix. They go down to like 5-10 fps constantly.

Copper

I also noticed I get major drops whenever I enter a new area. Seen it drop down to 6 fps at one point.

Is anyone here using inputmapper? I can't seem to get vibration to work with this game.

Randam

Just a German review.
Took 5 points away from 84 because of technical issues.

Game reduces 1080p to 1050?
No borderless window mode?

Top Bottom