• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Arkanius

Just got the game.
Installed FAR right away.

Uncapped the framerate, everything max except for MSAA which is off.
The game is smooth and performs well, even with the AO at native resolution and Global Illumination at Max.

Were the performance woes really exagerated, or am I just brute forcing the game? (1080 Ti @ 1440p)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just got the game.

The game is smooth and performs well, even with the AO at native resolution and Global Illumination at Max.

Were the performance woes really exagerated, or am I just brute forcing the game? (1080 Ti @ 1440p)

You're brute forcing it.

Corpekata

Banned
Just got the game.

Do you really even have to ask when you installed a mod that fixes performance a month after release?

I mean, there's a reason it even exists in the first place.

gngf123

Just got the game.

Even without FAR you would still get 1440/60fps with your setup, as you are basically just using it as a full screen bug + cut scene stuttering fix. Performance otherwise is unchanged since launch.

Honestly, the performance has always been fine if we compare the PS4 version to the PC version running on equivalent hardware. I've always thought the problems were way exaggerated.

People still suspected that maybe it should run better than it does on either system though, and in the end this led to people finding out how much time the game was spending on its Global Illumination.

If you are running it with GI on max in FAR... that was the default. You get the idea.

Gbraga

Do you really even have to ask when you installed a mod that fixes performance a month after release?

It's not a mod that fixes performance. The GI setting isn't free frames.

It does fix the cutscene performance, though, but that's not what he's talking about. Not that it isn't a major issue with the port, in my opinion the single biggest issue.

tuxfool

Banned
So uh, I downloaded and installed FAR, but the Ctrl-shift-backspace menu isn't showing up. Is this maybe because I've been launching the game in Big Picture Mode? (I'm not at home to test this right now)

are you running RivaTuner/Afterburner? Those interfere with FAR. If you don't get yellow text showing performance statistics, then FAR isn't running.

Anteater

Just got the game.

it runs well with decent specs, anything that's above the spec of a ps4 pro will run it well (or else you need to run it at a lower res), i wouldn't say it's exaggerated, although there are other problems too for some, but if you have a high end card it's no brainer you will run it fine

Arkanius

I'm not using any of the performance tweaks.
Reading everything in retrospective, i really think most users fucked up by trying to enable 8xAA. That is always expensive.

By the way, I only played a little bit so far, but are there any issues by unlocking the framerates ? I limited it to 140. Will i have any physics bugs or other shanenigans ?

It's fun to see people talking about limiting the framerate to 140 while I'm trying to get anything above 15fps in combat... Hahaha siiiiiigh.

(I'm not complaining about people posting about high end rigs- just an observation)

gngf123

It's fun to see people talking about limiting the framerate to 140 while I'm trying to get anything above 15fps in combat... Hahaha siiiiiigh.

(I'm not complaining about people posting about high end rigs- just an observation)

What is your rig like and what settings are you using?

What is your rig like and what settings are you using?

GeForce GT 650M GPU, i7 3630QM CPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10

I know it's old, haha.

Anyways, I'm on the Low preset (everything on the lowest setting possible, pretty much) and I am also using FAR, with which I set Global Illumination to 0 (basically performance boost). Screen is 1600x 900 natively but I probably won't be able to get 30fps on that resolution at all, so I've been going back and forth between 720p and 1024x 576. Aiming at a constant 30fps but it's generally in the 24-26fps range and if I enter combat in foliage and/or an open area, I can see the FPS drop into the lower 10s.

NeoRaider

I know it's old, haha.

Anyways, I'm on the Low preset (everything on the lowest setting possible, pretty much) and I am also using FAR, with which I set Global Illumination to 0 (basically performance boost). Screen is 1600x 900 natively but I probably won't be able to get 30fps on that resolution at all, so I've been going back and forth between 720p and 1024x 576. Aiming at a constant 30fps but it's generally in the 24-26fps range and if I enter combat in foliage and/or an open area, I can see the FPS drop into the lower 10s.

:_:
Sounds like a torture.

:_:
Sounds like a torture.

thanks ;_;

I took the resolution as far down as 480p, but then realized that the game downscaling assets to that size and then stretching them to fullscreen hurt the performance more than it helped. So 576p it is.

Honestly I would have been a happy camper if I got stable 30fps (hell even 25fps or something would work), but alas, I've entrusted my fate to community patches as it sure doesn't seem like Platinum itself is to be trusted with bringing a timely patch to the table.

It really sucks too, because:
1. Despite being unable to immerse myself fully, as a fan of sci-fi and Taro's other works (which I watched/read LPs of, sadly) the plot is killing me in the relatively benign introduction chapters.
2. I am a weak willed individual.
3. The music. Fuck.
4. The character interactions. Fuck.
5. The rare occasion when I get to fight a robot at above 25fps. FUCK.
6. It's spring break.
7. Kaldaien, the amazing individual who seems to be spearheading FAR, says that he's about done fixing stuff up.

I find myself unable to stop playing. ;_; (THIS CANNOT CONTINUE)

Mailbox

I know it's old, haha.

oddly enough, i have a laptop stronger than that (750m) and the game doesn't even start :/

oddly enough, i have a laptop stronger than that (750m) and the game doesn't even start :/

That might be something about the NVIDIA driver(s), I hear. Not sure if there's a solution for that yet.

The first time I booted up the game, it was in the Background Processes tab in the task manager- I ended the task from there and when I opened the game again it worked normally. Did you check if that's the case for you?

Also, it not starting can't be related to the GPU- I accidentally tried to install a very old driver yesterday and it seems that that caused the computer to not recognize the NVIDIA GPU and run on the integrated GPU instead (fixed later by downloading the appropriate driver). The game still booted up after that but it was barely at 10fps in the main menu, hahaha.

For people who need a little bit more frames try out the latest Windows creator update, enable game mode. I got like 5 frames out of it for Nier, not much but its something.

Mailbox

That might be something about the NVIDIA driver(s), I hear. Not sure if there's a solution for that yet.

The first time I booted up the game, it was in the Background Processes tab in the task manager- I ended the task from there and when I opened the game again it worked normally. Did you check if that's the case for you?

Also, it not starting can't be related to the GPU- I accidentally tried to install a very old driver yesterday and it seems that that caused the computer to not recognize the NVIDIA GPU and run on the integrated GPU instead (fixed later by downloading the appropriate driver). The game still booted up after that but it was barely at 10fps in the main menu, hahaha.

(mind, i do have a desktop so i have finished the game through ending E on that)
yeah, on my laptop its always a background process, but ending it and retrying doesn't help.

oddly enough my shittier windows tablet can "run" it (at 9 fps @600p w/ FAR installed)
so yeah...

I was under the impression that game mode does nothing for non-UWP games.

Iirc that was the initial rumour but its not the case. win32 and UWP games iirc

KingV

Been playing this and have had pretty ok performance without FAR (other than the resolution is obviously off). But it's perplexing how this game can look awesome or like complete shit within 2 minutes of playing.

Sometimes I'm like "wow that's awesome looking" and sometimes I think the geometry and lighting for the levels would not look out of place in a an early PS3 game.

The building interiors, especially look like literally zero effort went into making them. I'm guessing they ran into some budgetary restrictions while making the game.

Been playing this and have had pretty ok performance without FAR (other than the resolution is obviously off). But it's perplexing how this game can look awesome or like complete shit within 2 minutes of playing.

Sometimes I'm like "wow that's awesome looking" and sometimes I think the geometry and lighting for the levels would not look out of place in a an early PS3 game.

The building interiors, especially look like literally zero effort went into making them. I'm guessing they ran into some budgetary restrictions while making the game.

On a potato PC, everything looks like an early build of Half-Life 2 lol

Is there a way to overclock with Afterburner without breaking FAR?
yes. just stop nier from being detected with rivatuner:
s4bntxJ.png

J_Viper

Did the latest update break something?

The "Press ECS to Skip" prompt during cut-scenes is now always present, which is annoying. That, and the Pod won't stop firing, as if the key for that command is being activated somehow.

Also, how do I run this on the Windowed Borderless app? I keep hitting F3 to add the window and nothing happens.

Is there any way I can roll back to the previous update?

This is bullshit man, the game just got interesting again and now this happens lol

EDIT: This is happening as well

GpUzgkp.png

Echoplx

Did the latest update break something?

The "Press ECS to Skip" prompt during cut-scenes is now always present, which is annoying. That, and the Pod won't stop firing, as if the key for that command is being activated somehow.

Also, how do I run this on the Windowed Borderless app? I keep hitting F3 to add the window and nothing happens.

Is there any way I can roll back to the previous update?

This is bullshit man, the game just got interesting again and now this happens lol

EDIT: This is happening as well

http://i.imgur.com/GpUzgkp.png

What update? It hasn't been patched yet.

If you mean FAR, try switching back to the stable branch.

Echoplx

Yea, mean that fan patch thing

How do I switch back to the stable branch, just launch the update thing on its own?

Launch the installer and there should be drop down menu for the branch.

Looking at the changelog it might be causing your issues with the command prompt.

pa22word

Uh for whatever reason the game is locked at 24hz in windowed mode now. I have a 165hz screen, so obviously something is wrong here >.>

The only change I made since last boot was get a new monitor ?_? Tried switching refresh rates back and forth to see if the game would recognize one of them, but nope. Reminds me of that weird bug MGR had back in the day. Anyone remember how to fix that? I thought it had to due with HDMI stuff, but I'm on displayport...?

Also getting a weird kind of black smudge outline over everything with the AO fix on. Seems like it's bugging out on me for some reason.

robgrab

FAR 0.5.2.3 killed my performance. Never dropped below 60 in earlier versions. Odd.

UPDATE: Nevermind. User error. I upgraded my NVIDIA drivers but forgot to manually add the SLI compatibility bits back so it wasn't using my second GPU. All is good now.

Shari

Does anyone know why FAR is not fixing my fullscreen resolution?

I've got latest version and my fullscreen res is 1440p but the framebuffer only shows 1080p. I'd say FAR is working cause I've got SpecialK GUI running ingame and I can set the different hacks in there, but for some reason fullscreen resolution is not working and I get shitty 1080p.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Edit: NVM, rivatuner interfering

J4mm1nJ03

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between the PS4 and PC versions of this game right now and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding with the PS4 version on sale at Best Buy right now for $40 (I have a Pro).

Is the optimization of this game as bad as it sounds or do the third party tools do a good job of fixing them? I have a GTX 1060 with a 6600k and 16gb RAM with a 1440p 165hz Gsync monitor. I imagine I should be fine with those specs right? Especially with Gsync to smooth things out if I have drops.

With my setup I prefer to play on PC when possible obviously, so as long as that version is alright I'll wait for a Steam sale since I'm currently working through Persona 5 anyways.

tuxfool

Banned
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between the PS4 and PC versions of this game right now and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding with the PS4 version on sale at Best Buy right now for $40 (I have a Pro).

Is the optimization of this game as bad as it sounds or do the third party tools do a good job of fixing them? I have a GTX 1060 with a 6600k and 16gb RAM with a 1440p 165hz Gsync monitor. I imagine I should be fine with those specs right? Especially with Gsync to smooth things out if I have drops.

With my setup I prefer to play on PC when possible obviously, so as long as that version is alright I'll wait for a Steam sale since I'm currently working through Persona 5 anyways.

You'll definitely get a better experience on pc.

Shari

Hey guys,

I really dont know if you are trolling man.

We would have to be on Batman:AK levels of fiasco for you to be better off with the console version considering your computer specs...

J4mm1nJ03

I really dont know if you are trolling man.

We would have to be on Batman:AK levels of fiasco for you to be better off with the console version considering your computer specs...

No not intentionally trolling, sorry. I just wasn't sure if this port was more of the "Take a few extra steps to tweak some configs/use a 3rd party tool or two to smooth out some problem areas" variety, or more of the "this is badly optimized so you just need to hope that your hardware is good enough to brute force it" variety.

I guess this stems from some articles I saw around launch that made it sound like the port was a bit dodgy. Stuff like a framerate cap, 30fps cutscenes, and maybe something with resolutions being a bit weird? But it sounds like FAR and NieRepack will take care of those things. Wasn't familiar with them at the time of my post.

I also keep forgetting that Steam does refunds now. They implemented those a bit before I got back into PC gaming and built a new rig, so I guess I'm still in the mindset of having no recourse if something doesn't work out. Anyways, I look forward to checking this out sometime soon! Seems like a really cool game.

Nillansan

Did anyone try the ambient occlusion fix that was integrated into the Testing Branch? Any impressions? I already asked in the Steam thread, but I might as well ask here as well.

Arkanius

Guys I have this error with FAR
7y5Ag7y.png

That if I press OK three times, goes away and everything works correctly. But it's annoying because it breaks the Steam Big Picture flow.

Any tips?

Guys I have this error with FAR
7y5Ag7y.png

That if I press OK three times, goes away and everything works correctly. But it's annoying because it breaks the Steam Big Picture flow.

Any tips?

Hmm, maybe find the ini file, right click and properties, and then make sure the "Read-only" attribute is unchecked.

jett

D-Member
Still no official patch? I guess it's never coming?

Anyway, I bit the bullet, I just so wanted to play this game. I hope I can run it at 60fps on my 280X with all this fanmade stuff.

Parsnip

Still no official patch? I guess it's never coming?

Anyway, I bit the bullet, I just so wanted to play this game. I hope I can run it at 60fps on my 280X with all this fanmade stuff.

They have two active branches so they are still working on something.
The question is what will they actually fix.

Top Bottom