• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

K.Sabot

I dunno how anyone can say N:A has poor VA.

I'm probably the ultimate anti-dub warrior and it impressed me enough that I played 90% of the game in english.

Now P5, from everything I've seen of its english pre-release, is a game I'm playing in Japanese for sure. Thank god they gave us the option.

Fraxin

I'm probably the ultimate anti-dub warrior and it impressed me enough that I played 90% of the game in english.

Now P5, from everything I've seen of its english pre-release, is a game I'm playing in Japanese for sure. Thank god they gave us the option.

At least it got a 9, was worried it would get 7 just like they gave DQ8.

Who drew that picture in the OP? It's really nice.

I believe the artist is Brink of Memories. (You mean the Bonus Image, correct?)

Agreed on all points, NieR: Automata has a damn good dub.

9/10 from gamecentral:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/06/nier-...t-hell-meets-existential-role-player-6491251/

In Short: A fantastic mix of explosive action and thoughtful storytelling, that results in one of the most unpredictable and ambitious action role-players of the modern era.

Pros: Classic Platinum action combined with a deep role-playing system filled with customisation options. Excellent script manages to approach big subjects with surprising subtlety. Great music.

Cons: Role-playing fans may not take easily to the action elements. Weak voice-acting and dull side quests.
I've only played the game for a couple of hours thus far, but VA has been really good.

killatopak

My only hope is that the dlc will be great and has story content as well as the usual costume dlc. Maybe even the Caim dlc the jap-va was asking for.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As long as the Japanese audio is included, the supposed "weak voice-acting" doesn't concern me.

be aware that the japanese dub doesnt actually fully synch with the english subtitles so you might get confused sometimes.

i def prefer the game in english

Great reviews. Very happy for Platinum. Zelda will occupy my gaming time for a long while but I'll buy this eventually when I get some time to play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think it's safe to say this game has the Squaresoft JRPG feels of being memorable and impactful.

Inuhanyou

I think it's safe to say this game has the Squaresoft JRPG feels of being memorable and impactful.

Yoko Taro has his own brand that has always been off kilter with what Square traditionally did...dont think the output is comparable

SilentRob

Yeah, the dub is really, really good and much of that is down to the amazing translation work by 8-4, same as with Nier 1. 9S' voice actor Kyle McCarley has done very, very little in the gaming sector (apparently his second role after one in Disgaea 5) but he is the standout for me here.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I did what I don't do and preordered.

Sometimes you just have to support the art when the exemplary thing comes along. Better this than a handful of alright $10 games. I trust Platinum and I trust Hardcore Gamer. I don't know when/where I'll find the time to play it, but it is certainly coming before Zelda for me.

killatopak

Yoko Taro has his own brand that has always been off kilter with what Square traditionally did...dont think the output is comparable

I'd argue that Xenogears evokes the same feeling but it's not better presented than Yoko's

Now if they actually truly finished Xenogears and not the crap the second half got then that would be something to think about.

Fbh

Gold Member
Nier has a sequel... It's made by Platinum...And has a 90 metascore.

Don't take me wrong, I'm really happy about this. But it's almost unreal. I can only explain it by assuming Yoko Taro's kids traveled back in time and altered our timeline.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I do, because I saw the best of Squaresoft as having a diversity of creative voices: Sakaguchi's FF, Takahashi's Xenogears, Matsuno's FFT/Vagrant Story, Ishii's Mana, etc.

I do think it's fun to see how people bring their own filter to what this game "is".

It's a Platinum game! No, it's a Yoko Taro game! No it's a Neo-Squaresoft game! I can see all views TBH.

Personally, I've related to this game as a new action RPG inspired by Nier, and not a Nier sequel per se. Maybe I'm alone on that, I dunno.

I did what I don't do and preordered.

Sometimes you just have to support the art when the exemplary thing comes along. Better this than a handful of alright $10 games. I trust Platinum and I trust Hardcore Gamer. I don't know when/where I'll find the time to play it, but it is certainly coming before Zelda for me.

This is the first game I've pre-ordered outside of the usual suspects (FF, MGS, RE, etc), in a loooong time.

This is hitting the right notes for me. It's what I want from video games. Style, action, pathos, art, music, RPG progression, great kinetic gameplay....

Nier has a sequel... It's made by Platinum...And has a 90 metascore.

Don't take me wrong, I'm really happy about this. But it's almost unreal. I can only explain it by assuming Yoko Taro's kids traveled back in time and altered our timeline.
Accord finally managed to find the true branch. The Yoko Taro branch.

Can't one of these Q1 games not just turn out shit so I feel no regret having no money and time for it

I was thinking how strange it is to have every single game meet or exceed expectations. The first flop is really going to stand out.

I have never played a Platinum game before and I no nothing about this director, but I knew NieR Automata was going to special from the moment it was revealed.

Inuhanyou

I disagree with a lot of their opinions on the game, and the actual review itself sounds more like 3 out of 5 to me, even a 2. Their scale doesn't gel

I was thinking how strange it is to have every single game meet or exceed expectations. The first flop is really going to stand out.

I have never played a Platinum game before and I no nothing about this director, but I knew NieR Automata was going to special from the moment it was revealed.

If you buy this game i want to hear your views on your first Yoko Taro and Platinum game

Smidget

Ok call me crazy, but I wasn't enamoured with the demo and I'm not a huge fan of Bayonetta 1/2's gameplay. Is this just something that isn't for me?

Inuhanyou

Ok call me crazy, but I wasn't enamoured with the demo and I'm not a huge fan of Bayonetta 1/2's gameplay. Is this just something that isn't for me?

it depends on if you can suffer through gameplay that you personally dont like for literally everything else...kinda like yoko taro's other games in a general sense albeit i dont agree with your view for automata

If you can't get past the combat, you're probably not going to enjoy this. The first NieR is one of my favourite games but the combat is kinda garbo. This actually has good combat mechanica though.

NeoRaider

Really, who would have thought that NieR: Automata will be best reviewed PS4 game since Uncharted 4. And best reviewed SE game since 2013!?

They did THAT!

Inuhanyou

Really, who would have thought that NieR: Automata will be best reviewed PS4 game since Uncharted 4. And best reviewed SE game since 2013!?

They did THAT!

I didn't know about review scores, but i knew that it was a dream project that had the potential to surpass a lot of people's expectations. It did, so mission accomplished

I disagree with a lot of their opinions on the game, and the actual review itself sounds more like 3 out of 5 to me, even a 2. Their scale doesn't gel

If you buy this game i want to hear your views on your first Yoko Taro and Platinum game

Game is bought and will be delivered tomorrow afternoon! I'm waist deep in Horizon Zero Dawn right now though so it might be a while before I actually get to play. It's on deck ahead of everything else in my backlog though.

SilentRob

They did THAT!

If we only count new releases it's actually 2011 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think the only other 2 were an DQ5 iOS port and the DC rerelease of Deus Ex: HR. First 90 for a newly developed game by SE since October 2011.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Or how about best new console JRPG since FFXII.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Or how about best new console JRPG since FFXII.
I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I do think this looks like the most ideal Square thing I've wanted from Square since forever.

I'll have to wait until playing it myself tho.

Hnnng. I can really only fit one more game into March feasibly. Not really a $ issue as much as time. Can't decide whether to go with this or Mass Effect. Hum. The reviews are SO good.

Hopefully that changes with PlatinumGames.

I love NieR more than any Drakengard title, but the latter is more their style.

Never though about platinum working on other Yoko taro games but scalebound could of easily been drakengard if they changed a few things about it. Hope platinum just gives Yoko taro a permanent group of employee to work with him.

Top Bottom