• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Zolo

to the bolded, god yes. Calling JRPG and WRPG as genres was always dumb.

Yeah. I agree. Even the people who don't define it as japaense or western games still have it where you could have two games under the category, but completely different. I get a lot more info about Nier from calling it an action rpg then a WRPG or JRPG.

Why isn't this it's own thread vs ruining a good review thread for a game thats already niche to begin with. Anyway my hype for nier couldn't be higher, gamestop opens in about an hour and even though I have the flu
and will get everyone at the store sick
I couldn't be more excited! I might die on the way home tho but flus do that.

myco666

Those metacritic user reviews with 0/10 scores. Lmao. So much edge.

I agree, but it's the same for every other WRPG/JRPG definition. They should just all die and people should come up with better names for the different types of RPGs.

For example, if a WRPG can be Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Torment, Horizon and the list goes on, you barely have anything to tie them together other than some very basic similarity in their visuals. It also tells you nothing about them. If a person likes Dragon's Dogma and asks for more games like it, would you seriously recommend Mass Effect 3? I'd recommend Devil May Cry to that person before Mass Effect or Horizon.

Oh god yes. They only create confusion since people have different definitions for them.

Those metacritic user reviews with 0/10 scores. Lmao. So much edge.

I'll be honest they are pretty entertaining, there's a little part of my soul that says Taro wrote them himself for the lolz.

Edit: Now that I noticed one of the 3 reviewers is named yoko taro i take that back.

myco666

I'll be honest they are pretty entertaining, there's a little part of my soul that says Taro wrote them himself for the lolz.

Edit: Now that I noticed one of the 3 reviewers is named yoko taro i take that back.

I am cracking so much at the review by ChuckleFudge and that Yoko_Taro review is great as well.

I agree, but it's the same for every other WRPG/JRPG definition. They should just all die and people should come up with better names for the different types of RPGs.

For example, if a WRPG can be Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Torment, Horizon and the list goes on, you barely have anything to tie them together other than some very basic similarity in their visuals. It also tells you nothing about them. If a person likes Dragon's Dogma and asks for more games like it, would you seriously recommend Mass Effect 3? I'd recommend Devil May Cry to that person before Mass Effect or Horizon.

People have come up with several terms to differentiate these games. It's just a few weirdos that refuse to let go of monikers based on gut feeling rather than anything tangible.

hollomat

Banned
As others have said, this is reviewing much higher than I expected. I enjoyed the demo, but based on the reviews it seems like it really delivers.

FFXV was a bit of a letdown with its non existent story but that doesn't seem to be the case with Nier. Pumped to pick up my preorder after work.

I totally didn't think this was gonna be anything special but after reading through the critical reactions I just downloaded and played the demo. Holy shit! Between the music, the level design and the gameplay, I fucking loved it wholeheartedly. Buying this game asap!

Fuck you guys for bringing the JRPG/WRPG discussion into this thread.

V7Kl6d9.jpg

It is a stupid and completely unnecessary argument

Who is this Taro person and why is everyone so happy for them?

The director of the game. He has awesome creative direction for his games but they have always been held back by gameplay and technical issues. his highest rated game is the first Nier at a 68. So it is nice to see him get a great studio to work with for once and to get a great score.

Kuro

I didn't like the demo for this, will I like the full game? Wasn't a fan of the demo environment is the whole game in that setting? The combat was fine if not a little confusing and I'm pretty well versed in devil may cry and Bayonetta.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The director of the game. He has awesome creative direction for his games but they have always been held back by gameplay and technical issues. his highest rated game is the first Nier at a 68. So it is nice to see him get a great studio to work with for once and to get a great score.

What are some of his most popular work that most people would recognize?

JayEH

I have no idea how his career survived Drakengard. The game had the insanity of something an industry pro with zero fucks to give would put out

tumblr_m67jtm4fnB1qdmrhmo1_400.gif

when you're given a happy meal budget nobody really cares what you do with the game so he went all out.

I didn't like the demo for this, will I like the full game? Wasn't a fan of the demo environment is the whole game in that setting? The combat was fine if not a little confusing and I'm pretty well versed in devil may cry and Bayonetta.

"I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you"

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not going to blindly defend anything, especially yoko-taro stuff, but holy crap they didn't actually beat the game and then thought it was over

If someone doesn't feel like replaying a game to get extra pieces of it I think that's a fair viewpoint tbh

big fake

I'm not going to blindly defend anything, especially yoko-taro stuff, but holy crap they didn't actually beat the game and then thought it was over

They really should not have scored it without substantial endings unlocked. Now this is why I can't trust a good number of these review sites. They don't look into the entire game and only try to make it to the embargo without truly touching base with the entire game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This won't remove the 90, even if it's counted on MC.

Hmm... How is it counted but won't remove the 90?

This shouldn't review shouldn't be included coz they didn't even fully complete the game... wtf Gamekult.

Top Bottom