• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Fraxin

Who wrote that? It's awfully written. The kinda thing I'd write when I was 15...or is it?

that 90's throwback website though lol

Sorry didn't know it was that awful, didn't want to spoil anything to myself that's why I didn't read it.

Thought the website was famous back in the day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I do think this looks like the most ideal Square thing I've wanted from Square since forever.

I'll have to wait until playing it myself tho.

You should really play it. It's good.

SE has been on a role lately. This definitely makes up for their piss poor showing last gen. I mean in Q42016-Q12017 we got lots of quality titles including DQB, WoFF, FFXV, SaGa Scarlet Grace, DQVIII 3DS, KH2.8, and now this.

bloodborne has a 92?

To clarify, best new console Square Enix JRPG since FFXII going by the 90+ MC rating.

Zolo

So with this, Horizon, P5, Mass Effect, Numenera, and whatever else coming out this year, is 2017 the year of the RPG?

Raimond

Based on the demo, I wasn't too interested, I really felt the repetitiveness and bland backgrounds were too common.

But now seeing more of the game in the reviews, I think I'll give it another chance.

Depends on the definition. Most people here probably see JRPG as genre, not as every RPG that's made in Japan. Like Dragon's Dogma, which falls into the genre of WRPG, although it was made by japanese developers.

You could probably classify Automata as action-JRPG.

i can't think of any reasonable definition where nier is a jrpg and bloodborne is not

YTo clarify, best new console Square Enix JRPG since FFXII going by the 90+ MC rating.

ah, right

BriGuy

Between this, Zelda, the shitty weather and all the headaches I have at work, this week would have been the greatest vacation week in the history of vacation weeks if I could have pulled it off :(

i can't think of any reasonable definition where nier is a jrpg and bloodborne is not

Character designs for example. Bloodborne designs are more western, while Nier designs are very japanese.

The definitions are a bit muddy, and Nier isn't the standard JRPG with it's action- and not turn-based combat, but still.

JRPGs are games like FF, Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts,

WRPGs are games like Witcher, Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma and the Souls series.

Doesn't mean that japanese WRPGs aren't heavily influenced by their country of origin, they just don't quite classify as JRPG in the genre sense.

Orcastar

Damn, I was expecting this to end up with a MC score of 75 or something. Guess I'm gonna have to buy it now to see what all the fuss is about.

Then again I only just finished Tales of Berseria and started Horizon, only had time to play a couple of hours of Nioh, and Persona 5 comes out in four weeks. Where the hell am I supposed to find time to play all these games?

Grief.exe

Depends on the definition. Most people here probably see JRPG as genre, not as every RPG that's made in Japan. Like Dragon's Dogma, which falls into the genre of WRPG, although it was made by japanese developers.

You could probably classify Automata as action-JRPG.

Character designs for example. Bloodborne designs are more western, while Nier designs are very japanese.

The definitions are a bit muddy, and Nier isn't the standard JRPG with it's action- and not turn-based combat, but still.

Doesn't mean that japanese WRPGs aren't heavily influenced by their country of origin, they just don't quite classify as JRPG in the genre sense.

My man.

Szadek

The combat system has nothing do with this, unless you somehow think that Tales of games are WRPG and the new Shadowrun games JRPG's.

Nothus

Can't ignore those review scores and I need that forest theme. Gonna pre-order tonight even though I'm nowhere near done with Horizon.

AXidenT

Neo Member
Has there been any word on PC version? (I noticed Metacritic put Gamespot's review under the PC version?) I'm debating which to preorder and struggling to decide (have the first game on 360 - guessing I'd play on PC using Steam link with Steam/360 controller).

True Fire

Bloodborne is heavily inspired by Berserk, and no one would say that Berserk isn't an anime/manga.

People saying that Bloodborne can't be a JRPG because of its art style just shows how narrow their mindset is. Not everything from Japan is cartoony.

I'm gonna have to give the first one a go I guess... These reviews are ridiculous.

I wouldn't play the first game based on the reception to NieR Automata had received. Platinum wasn't involved and gameplay no where near as good. Play the demo for NieR Automata instead unless you just want to experience the story.

Voke

Banned
Wow, didn't expect a 90 meta. This year is insane, nearly every game is delivering. I didn't play the first NieR, but I'll pick up a copy of this after work today.

Hektor

Bloodborne is heavily inspired by Berserk, and no one would say that Berserk isn't an anime/manga.

People saying that Bloodborne can't be a JRPG because of its art style just shows how narrow their mindset is. Not everything from Japan is cartoony.

On the other hand, Berserk is primarily inspired by Western history, mythology and imagery, so it's actually a comic and not a Manga.

genres are dumb all around and only born out of the silly desire to classify everything tbh

Abelard

Why are you guys making everything so complicated? Why can't WRPGs be RPGs in the west and JRPGs can be RPGs from Japan? Y'all are trying to create some contrived barrier and definition for each that only gets more convoluted each time it's explained, usually to keep Souls from being defined as a JRPG.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Originally Posted by Digitally Downloaded

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

What the fuck is this? :/

Why are you guys making everything so complicated? Why can't WRPGs be RPGs in the west and JRPGs can be RPGs from Japan? Y'all are trying to create some contrived barrier and definition for each that only gets more convoluted each time it's explained, usually to keep Souls from being defined as a JRPG.

I didn't invent this use of the both words, but using it as country of origin thing is highly misleading in my opinion. If you used JRPG like that, people that say "Give me recommendations for JRPGs" would get games as answers that probably have nothing in common with the JRPGs they just played before and wanted more of.

The genre definition isn't perfect and waterproof, I think that it's more beneficial than the country of origin one though.

The combat system has nothing do with this, unless you somehow think that Tales of games are WRPG and the new Shadowrun games JRPG's.

Many JRPGs tend to have turn based combat, but it's not the sole qualifying factor, you're right.

Szadek

Because that definition is fucking useless.
It doesn't tell you anything about the actual content of these games.

Neither do most definitions of JPRG, especially as it is popularly used.

--

Also, hooray, Amazon won't have the game delivered today! What a fantastic service!

~Cross~

Yeah. When somethings definition is too broad then you cant discern anything useful from it.

For most people, JRPGs are a style of RPG popularized in japan in the 80s to 90s. It declined on the 2000s and is almost extinct in the 2010s. Taro even mentions it in his interview about how japan is starting to shift into more creative endeavors instead of doing those rpgs or trying to emulate the west.

Gbraga

I agree, but it's the same for every other WRPG/JRPG definition. They should just all die and people should come up with better names for the different types of RPGs.

For example, if a WRPG can be Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Torment, Horizon and the list goes on, you barely have anything to tie them together other than some very basic similarity in their visuals. It also tells you nothing about them. If a person likes Dragon's Dogma and asks for more games like it, would you seriously recommend Mass Effect 3? I'd recommend Devil May Cry to that person before Mass Effect or Horizon.

killatopak

Originally Posted by Digitally Downloaded

Put simply, NieR: Automata is the greatest game ever made. It’s not just that it is the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed - and it is a truly deep narrative experience - but more than that, Yoko Taro has finally found perhaps the developer on the planet capable of doing his visionary work justice. This game is a true, genuine work of art, and anyone who wants to prove that gaming does possess an equivalent to the greatest novels, operas, theatre plays, or paintings, now has that very game to point to. Yoko Taro is gaming’s Shakespeare, Da Vinci, and Welles, all rolled into one.

What the fuck is this? :/

The truth.

Well, at least to him.

Aenima

Bloodborne is not a JRPG. JRPG is used to classify a style of game (usually manga based character with heavy narratives RPGs), just because is an RPG game developed by a japanese team that dont make him a JRPG. Bloodborne and the Souls games has such a unique style that they are called Souls or Soulsborne games but they are action RPGs.

Sotha_Sil

Because those are horrible labels. RPG and Action-RPG are all that is needed.

Here's to Q1 2017:

dhMeAzK.gif

Hits, hits everywhere.

HeelPower

Souls is Japanese ,but for once a Japanese dev takes inspiration from a source that isnt shounen/popular teen anime.

This why those games were such a successs.I am sure Japan can put out stuff thats removed from the trappings of the anime industry.

Silent Hill was one such Japanese franchise.The devs set out to create something completely different than what you'd expect from "anime tropes the game".

Admittedly this is all too rare.Probably because coporate suits want stuff that would easily sell.8

Razmos

Souls is Japanese ,but for once a Japanese dev takes inspiration from a source that isnt shounen/popular teen anime.

This why those games were such a successs.I am sure Japan can put out stuff thats removed from the trappings of the anime industry.
Yeah I'm sure "not anime" is why they were successful

I agree, but it's the same for every other WRPG/JRPG definition. They should just all die and people should come up with better names for the different types of RPGs.

For example, if a WRPG can be Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Torment, Horizon and the list goes on, you barely have anything to tie them together other than some very basic similarity in their visuals. It also tells you nothing about them. If a person likes Dragon's Dogma and asks for more games like it, would you seriously recommend Mass Effect 3? I'd recommend Devil May Cry to that person before Mass Effect or Horizon.
to the bolded, god yes. Calling JRPG and WRPG as genres was always dumb.

Ratrat

On the other hand, Berserk is primarily inspired by Western history, mythology and imagery, so it's actually a comic and not a Manga.

genres are dumb all around and only born out of the silly desire to classify everything tbh
Manga is comic. The words are interchangable.
Anime and cartoon are also interchangable.
Thankfully they dont separate stuff in this bullshit way in Japan. Its just foreign anime/japan anime, western game/Japan game.

Top Bottom