• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

nikos

Really tempted to hold out for the PC version after finding out the PS4 Pro version will be running at 1080p.

PS4
+Larger Screen
+Trophies
+Play Tomorrow
-1080p
- Minor performance issues

PC
+1440p / 144hz
+Better Visuals
-Wait to Play
-Possible Bad Port

I'm going to boot up the PS4 demo again to see if it sways my opinion.

ieatzombies

Hard just isn't very fun. It's not the good kind of difficult.

I think the best way to play the game is Normal with some restrictions. Don't grind, use more defense/support chips and less offensive chips, and maybe limit how many recovery items you buy.

Hard goes off the rails in the second halfway, but fhe first half is manageable.
Thanks! Looks like Normal first way through it is.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Really tempted to hold out for the PC version after finding out the PS4 Pro version will be running at 1080p.

PS4
+Larger Screen
+Trophies
+Play Tomorrow
-1080p

PC
+1440p / 144hz
+Better Visuals
-Wait to Play
-Possible Bad Port

You can plug your PC to your TV and steam has achievements...

Strings

bruh

It includes a ton of information that wouldn't have made any sense to include in the first playthrough, provides a bunch of characterization for 9S and Operator 21O, and it makes the C/D trailer hit you like a truck out of nowhere
. I can understand disliking the repetition, but "superfluous" seems outright wrong.

Completely disagree with that >.<

EDIT: Don't want to derail the thread though :p Will just leave it at that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Thanks! Looks like Normal first way through it is.

Just so you know, you can change your difficulty at any time, not just at the start. So if you find yourself having trouble on hard you can just go to normal via options menu

nikos

You can plug your PC to your TV and steam has achievements...

I can connect it to the TV, though it's a minor inconvenience and I'd lose out on 144hz/G-Sync. I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do like to add them to my collection. I'm not nearly as invested in Steam achievements.

The real gamble is how good the port will be. I suppose I could always sell the PS4 version if the PC version ends up being really good and I'm not too far into the game when it releases.

SarusGray

I can connect it to the TV, though it's a minor inconvenience and I'd lose out on 144hz/G-Sync. I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do like to add them to my collection. I'm not nearly as invested in Steam achievements.

The real gamble is how good the port will be. I suppose I could always sell the PS4 version if the PC version ends up being really good and I'm not too far into the game when it releases.

If you're going for the best version = PC. The port if its bad can be fixed but depends on your patience. I'm not patient so PS4 for me :)

ieatzombies

Just so you know, you can change your difficulty at any time, not just at the start. So if you find yourself having trouble on hard you can just go to normal via options menu
You know what. I think I'm gonna test out hard. I'm up for the challenge if it's not game breaking difficulty.

Zasa

Don't even know how to spread out my time with all these long single-player games. Haven't even finished Yakuza 0 yet dammit. Curse you 100% completion.

Will have to sit on this one for now, reluctantly. Game looks brilliant though, obviously.

Grief.exe

PS4
+Larger Screen
+Trophies
+Play Tomorrow
-1080p

PC
+1440p / 144hz
+Better Visuals
-Wait to Play
-Possible Bad Port

When Platinum finally embraces 144 FPS

xzI9mAy.gif

BeeDog

Atleast the games I have bought from UK had codes that worked fine on my Finnish account. Obviously can't guarantee that it will be the same with this game but most likely it should work.

Thanks! Screw it, will order the game from the UK I think.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Well, damn, I'm eating crow. I expected it to end up in the 75-80 range on Metacritic. Although I personally didn't enjoy the game, I can see why it has been doing so well critically, as well as sales-wise in Japan so far. I'm happy to see PlatinumGames and Yoko Taro have such success, especially due to the former having Scalebound cancelled just a couple months ago.

GrayChild

Let's not hurry with the success predictions. Both Vanquish and Bayonetta had very high scores as well, but sold terribly. Hope Nier will be more profitable.

And yeah, doing good numbers in Japan is not 100% guarantee that the same will happen in the West.

N.Domixis

Banned
Let's not hurry with the success predictions. Both Vanquish and Bayonetta had very high scores as well, but sold terribly. Hope Nier will be more profitable.

And yeah, doing good numbers in Japan is not 100% guarantee that the same will happen in the West.
From what people were saying in other threads it did good enough in Japan. PS4 global audience should push it.

Wheatly

This kinda stinks.

I would have bought this game (and Gravity Rush 2) if they literally came out during any other quarter. My backlog is too big with the onslaught of games right now.

PS4
+Larger Screen
+Trophies
+Play Tomorrow
-1080p

PC
+1440p / 144hz
+Better Visuals
-Wait to Play
-Possible Bad Port

PC
+Durante will fix it

(no pressure!)

I ended up getting the PS4 version over PC so I can play it now. I don't have enough confidence that the game will support 21:9 on PC so I'll just buy it again on a steam sale. By then someone will have a mod for ultrawide.

Finalow

I wasn't expecting the MC final score to stay that high. good thing though, this game is amazing.

Forgot to ask. What difficulty should I go for? I'm hearing conflicting stories of hard being too hard and normal being way too easy.
if you want some challenge, play on hard from the start. if you want an easier time, play on normal and then switch to hard after the first ending or so.

the thing is that you're going to get a lot of really good chips later on which will make the game much less difficult.

Endo Punk

Really enjoyed the demo, was planning on getting this day 1 but still got Yakuza 0 to beat, only on chapter 5, keep getting distracted by side missions and Let it Die.

chekhonte

I'm so grateful that Taro got to make another game and another good one from what I'm seeing.

I'm saving this game for when my wife goes out of town next week and I can block off the windows and get the projector going all day.

Now to avoid spoilers.

9/10 from gamecentral:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/06/nier-...t-hell-meets-existential-role-player-6491251/

In Short: A fantastic mix of explosive action and thoughtful storytelling, that results in one of the most unpredictable and ambitious action role-players of the modern era.

Pros: Classic Platinum action combined with a deep role-playing system filled with customisation options. Excellent script manages to approach big subjects with surprising subtlety. Great music.

Cons: Role-playing fans may not take easily to the action elements. Weak voice-acting and dull side quests.

Updated the OP with current awards & a special review.

So glad to see it hold @ 90.

(It's really at 90.57 on Metacritic - would it be asking too much for that to be pushed to 91? C'mon Easy Allies...)

Damn I remember when they first announced this game and I was so hype because I never thought we were getting a nier sequel. 2017 is killing it.

Top Bottom