• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll pick up Nier, Yakuza 0 and Horizon. I want Nioh but hell I haven't beaten Bloodborne yet and I even bought The Old Hunters so I'll let that be my Souls game for now.

Also, what's this thing about it Nioh still being patched with features? I can pick it up later.

Great picks! I agree with this..especially since you still have Bloodborne on backlog.

Exentryk

Welp... I caved and ended up preordering the PC version on CDKeys.

If it takes longer than expected to finish then Mass Effect can wait.

Bring on March 17!

Good man! Welcome to the cult of NieR!

aYmLlRL.gif

But that's just it--it looks very primitive, graphically (and the framerate is super uneven), and the combat doesn't change *that* much from beginning to end, especially compared to other games Platinum has made in the past.

Just to be clear, I'm glad this game scored like it did--I think it's really exciting that non-weirdos can now better appreciate weird-ass games--but I'm very surprised nonetheless!

Exactly.

Mechanically combat is not "that" deep, what makes the gameplay fun is the variety & mix added by all the different change in genres. Which can be an acquired taste, some people didn't like it in OG NieR.

Design-wise, the open world is nothing outstanding. It's small hub, not lived in, doesn't sell scale very well & feels a bit cheap in places with invisible walls and corridors. What makes the world special is how the music, story and lore gives that place a sense of space. Again, it relies 90% on the player being "connected" to the story.

This was a game where I would not have been surprised if some people gave it a 7/10 due to how much of the game's design element isn't necessarily best-in-class purely from a technical perspective.

What elevates every facet of this game are the "Yoko Taro-ness" of it. The atmosphere, the music, the narrative, the genre-shifts, the underlying narrative, the interesting design elements, all of which are strong creative elements. Comparisons with Undertale is quite valid for Automata, it's a game where the fringes ultimately is what differs this game from a 8 to 10.

LotusHD

Banned
The fact that apparently so many people are surprised when they find out that the game is open world tells a great deal of how important it is in this game. To me it's more like a semi open world of sorts. At the very least, I appreciate that it's not trying to do the whole massive scale thing that its contemporaries are, and like y'all said, the whole genre-shifts and what not allow it to carve its own niche despite its competition.

The fact that apparently so many people are surprised when they find out that the game is open world tells a great deal of how important it is in this game. To me it's more like a semi open world of sorts. At the very least, I appreciate that it's not trying to do the whole massive scale thing that its contemporaries are, and like y'all said, the whole genre-shifts and what not allow it to carve its own niche despite its competition.

Honestly I think it's a game that shouldn't be an open-world. It's cool that all the places are connected and all that, but I don't think the locations gel super well.

Make each space big, but make them some sort of individual hub where you travel to via your mech.

MechaX

Hmmm....be honest with me GAF.

I'm going to do that Target Buy2Get1Free sale and I've got a choice of some games, which 3 should I get? It's a small list so I've gotta keep one out for now.

- Horizon (been hyped for a while for it)
- Yakuza 0 (never played a Yakuza but I enjoy the videos I've seen, looks amazing)
- Nioh (after the gameplay and impressions? man I'm surprised)
- NieR: Automata (didn't plan on it but man...I'm seeing these gameplay videos and impressions dawg)

Which 3 do you think I need to cop?

Yakuza 0 and Nier for sure. After that, do you like Dark Souls mixed with Ninja Gaiden? Go Nioh. Do you like a more open world approach and you fight robot dinosaurs? Horizon.

Man, I hope it's still at 90 tomorrow when I'm ordering it. Don't want to cancel again.

Do you only play games that have 90 mc scores? That just seems like your depriving yourself of a lot of great games

I like the game alot so far, the world is interesting in its own way with good art direction even if its not the prettiest, fighting feels great and 2b might be my favorite character design in a long time, i never played nier or drakenguard but ive been deep diving into that lore and its really interesting and cool stuff

Evie

Neo Member
My boyfriend turned me on to this franchise and I have Automata sitting on my PS4 right now. I can't wait to play it. It will be the first NieR game I've ever played! The review scores look phenomenal!

Exentryk

My boyfriend turned me on to this franchise and I have Automata sitting on my PS4 right now. I can't wait to play it. It will be the first NieR game I've ever played! The review scores look phenomenal!

Are you sure you are ready for what's instore?

7vOXaPO.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But that's just it--it looks very primitive, graphically (and the framerate is super uneven), and the combat doesn't change *that* much from beginning to end, especially compared to other games Platinum has made in the past.

Just to be clear, I'm glad this game scored like it did--I think it's really exciting that non-weirdos can now better appreciate weird-ass games--but I'm very surprised nonetheless!

This game is not just a platinum game. At its heart and soul is a Yoko Taro game, the shell is platinum.

If this had been created by platinum alone, it would not have existed in this manner, not in the overall existentialist world design nor the clever writing and character development that pushes you forward.

I think this is a major success for Yoko Taro more than anyone else because he now has a proper outlet for his ideas not bogged down by technical and budgetary limitations, but i do admit to being biased

I just feel so elated for him. He's always been very self critical, and when i remember him saying he spent 20 years and failed at creating an impact in the industry and how people approached writing, i just wanted to shout "no you fucking didn't".

He is probably the main creative force in the industry that shaped how i view video game narratives and creative thematic design, not because his games were big budget AAA blockbusters that sold a million copies and were super safe, but because he himself was tired of common conventions and just wanted to break things to see how he could rearrange them.

Wagram

Graphically it is primitive and the frame rate is uneven. By comparison I just finished Horizon which has good gameplay and insane graphics. In addition at the time of finish I considered it GOTY. However, Automata even with those flaws (so far anyways) easily, and I mean EASILY outshines even Horizon in the gameplay and music department. It doesn't hold a candle to the graphics, but then again, graphics don't make a game fun.

What an amazing year this is. So many awesome games.

Yeshh USGamer I don't who you are but you came through

3e0e132963.gif

91 here we go~

aa41b27a01.gif

EDIT: We live in a universe in which Arby's tweeted out a NieR Automata reference.

I like this universe.

It was thus that US Gamer smited down Horizon with a 2.5/5, and then raised up Nier as the chosen one with a 5/5. I'm conflicted between Nier joy and Horizon salt.

Holy fuck, Nier and Arby's-! This is so very surreal.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
90? I thought this game was cool, pre-order cancelled, I don't play these overrated mainstream craps. 89 below or bust.

After his first mainstream success Yoko Taro loses the will to go on after losing his reputation as the quirky underdog. "Shit Square Enix" he mumbles after being realising the horror of having a well received game

Top Bottom