• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Exentryk

We back, baby! Guess USGamer is weighed higher than GameRevolution.

2mxkV6C.png

giphy.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

MechaX

Whenever I look back at 2017 from how strong it was from a gaming perspective, the first thing that will always come to mind now is "Hey, remember when the point of conversation at one point was when a fucking Yoko Taro game was bouncing between a 89 and 90 metacritic average?"

What a time to be alive.

Exentryk

Whenever I look back at 2017 from how strong it was from a gaming perspective, the first thing that will always come to mind now is "Hey, remember when the point of conversation at one point was when a fucking Yoko Taro game was bouncing between a 89 and 90 metacritic average?"

What a time to be alive.

It's still interesting reading the posts in this thread before the western reviews hit. Good times!

Glad you enjoyed it! Drakengard 3 is a very rough game, to put it nicely, but I think it's still a worthwhile experience, and that finale is one of the best things Taro's ever done.

I still listen to that song all the time, months later.

Yea, I'm glad I played through it. Definitely wish it had better production though.
After having played both Nier 1, and the Taro Drakengard games this year, Nier had far and away the most impact on me. The Drakengard games were still well worth the experience. I'm day one for whatever Taro makes from now on.

Edit: Glad to see that 90 returning

Godcannon

G0D Damnit it arrives tomorrow, and I've been trying to avoid everything, but when I peaked at the Meta score and it went from 89 to 90, shit just got real. Gaf out loud. Can't wait...

LotusHD

Banned
89?

Shit game

Cancelled the shit out of that pre-order right away

89? No reason to buy this game at this point. I'll just wait for Persona 5.[/SPOILER]

Shit game confirmed:

89?

Fuck, knew I should've cancelled my preorder. I got duped.

89?! The dream is dead.

brb returning my copy and deleting my save.

It's at 90 again, you can keep your copy!

cordy

Banned
Hmmm....be honest with me GAF.

I'm going to do that Target Buy2Get1Free sale and I've got a choice of some games, which 3 should I get? It's a small list so I've gotta keep one out for now.

- Horizon (been hyped for a while for it)
- Yakuza 0 (never played a Yakuza but I enjoy the videos I've seen, looks amazing)
- Nioh (after the gameplay and impressions? man I'm surprised)
- NieR: Automata (didn't plan on it but man...I'm seeing these gameplay videos and impressions dawg)

Which 3 do you think I need to cop?

For every .01 of a point this goes under 90 i will destroy a part of my BBE

no i wont

I'm going to do that Target Buy2Get1Free sale and I've got a choice of some games, which 3 should I get? It's a small list so I've gotta keep one out for now.

- Yakuza 0 (never played a Yakuza but I enjoy the videos I've seen, looks amazing)
- NieR: Automata (didn't plan on it but man...I'm seeing these gameplay videos and impressions dawg)

Nier, Nioh and Yakuza 0

Horizon is a scrub at only 88.

i kid i kid

Cramoss

Nioh is still being patched with features so I'd wait on it. Get the other 3.

LotusHD

Banned

Just grab all the weird games.

Nier first and foremost.
Yakuza 0.

Then...

Actually, pick whatever you want between Horizon and Nioh. If I had to choose, I'd go with Horizon, as I personally am not a fan of games where the appeal is its crazy difficulty and not focusing too much on its story. Horizon apparently excels in the story department, and looks beautiful, so yea.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cancelled my cancelling of my cancelled cancelling of my cancelled cancelling of my cancelled cancelling of my preorder.

AESplusF

Yakuza 0, Nioh, and Nier. Horizon is okay, the graphics are the highlight honestly, I don't think that the game is very memorable or unique and I can guarantee that Nier is an experience unlike any other, one that you will actually think about for years to come.

Oh and just to second the thoughts below, Nioh is definitely an acquired taste, if you like the souls series, or difficult action games, and you like the setting, I say go for it. If not, pass.

SephLuis

I played all of them except Horizon. Definitely pick Yakuza 0 and Nier.

Nioh is a souls game essentially with a bigger action focus and it's quite long. It's a great game that gets repetitive later on. If that doesn't interest you, pick Horizon.

Caim

Yakuza 0, Horizon and Nier.

JBwB

Welp... I caved and ended up preordering the PC version on CDKeys.

If it takes longer than expected to finish then Mass Effect can wait.

Bring on March 17!

pezzie

Yay!! Game is back in the 90s club!

My personal preference would be Horizon, Yakuza, and Nier, but I'm not a fan of souls games. If you enjoy that playstyle you might want to consider Nioh. If that's the case, I'd swap Nioh with Yakuza.

cordy

Banned
Thanks for the responses!

I guess I'll pick up Nier, Yakuza 0 and Horizon. I want Nioh but hell I haven't beaten Bloodborne yet and I even bought The Old Hunters so I'll let that be my Souls game for now.

Also, what's this thing about it Nioh still being patched with features? I can pick it up later.

SarusGray

Horizon, Nioh and Nier. Horizon is an absolutely incredible game. Gorgeous graphics, great combat and story. Nioh is pretty similar to a dungeon crawler and is very fun if you're into that sort of thing. Combat is out of this world and has high replayability and DLC coming soon.

Nier well.. you're in this thread, I might as well be bias and say Nier.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."

Horizon, Nier, Yakuza. All bring something completely different to the table and are long.

Top Bottom