• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
S-E president said Yoko Taro will be confined to mobile gaming hell unless this game ends up with a 90 MC score.

I like smartphone gaming. Lower the scores!

I'm assuming that people are joking. I know a lot of gamers get emotionally invested in metacritic for some reason, but Yoko has been releasing critical failures for almost two decades. Metacritic really doesn't matter for NieR

I'd like to think of this thread as a door. You open the door, and you're in the review thread, and while you're here, sure, you care about the game getting as high a score as possible. When you leave the thread and it's out of your mind, you don't really give that much of a shit. That's how I operate anyways. Even more so now that I have the game and don't have to sit around idly.

I guess that means I'm on board. Raise the scores!

Unpopular opinion but Transformers is my favorite Platinum title

Seems like Nier is easily dethroning it though. Devastation was cool for its aggressive AI, boss fights, music, and aesthetic. It also had a really bad RPG/loot system that brings down the game

Nier doesn't have the AI/duels (yet) but the art direction/story/music/variety in environments and gameplay are incredible
This thread (and i need something tight to offset Breath of the Wild) has me replaying Devastation. Just finished Chapter 5, and while chapter 3/4 are a bit of slog going through, damn if going from the Menasor boss, to Starscream, Blitzwing and then finishing with Soundwave back to back is not some cool-ass Shit.

Crafting and leveling still sucks though.

Is this a meme or do people actually care if the game is 90 vs 89?

Honestly I see it a lot like LotusHD does, but on the whole, there's more of an impact behind a 90 MC Rating and an 89, and Yoko Taro & Co. certainly need that impact.

They deserve it, it's like cheering for an underdog you always believed in, they may not need those final points, but seeing them do it would mean so much.

Hard to explain really - probably because in the end, it really is just numbers.

Any idea why the Easy Allies review is taking so long? Did they not get a review copy?

They have it, and their review will be out on Friday/Saturday.

True Fire

I also think people are more impassioned because Automata easily could have gotten a 70.

This time around reviewers actually "got" the multiple playthroughs and nihilistic story, but NieR got a lot of flack for those very same things in 2010.

Ahasverus

I'd like to think of this thread as a door. You open the door, and you're in the review thread, and while you're here, sure, you care about the game getting as high a score as possible. When you leave the thread and it's out of your mind, you don't really give that much of a shit. That's how I tend to operate anyways. Caring for awhile... until I don't. Even more so now that I have the game and don't have to sit around idly.
This is a perfect analogy.

I care about the 90 because it would be so nice for it to get a 90 after its existance was almost an impossibility.

But outside this thread,it's gonna be esitll a fucking great game that I'm so glad for.

That's how it works.
I also think people are more impassioned because Automata easily could have gotten a 70.

This time around reviewers actually "got" the multiple playthroughs and nihilistic story, but NieR got a lot of flack for those very same things in 2010.
We can all agree Nier doesn't play as nice as it feels. We were also at the peak of dudebro gaming back then. The PS4 really saved japan from sinking and with it, it brought back what I'd call "sensible gaming". Of course indies are just as responsible for that.

dlauv

The game's market presence would no doubt benefit from a 9X instead of an 8X, as arbitrary as score numbers can be. It's the difference in market presence of $9.99 vs $10.00, but in reverse. Or the difference of an A- vs a B+ on your term paper.

Exentryk

USGamer gave it a 5/5

br3GrHJ.gif

Exentryk

USGamer review is a nice read (with some minor spoilers like that shop stuff, etc.):

We don't get games like Nier: Automata too often. And by that I mean games that simultaneously weave a deeply harrowing existentialist narrative, in addition to playing with our expectations on how we play games. There's nothing else around like Nier: Automata (except for maybe its predecessor). And in an industry that sometimes leans too heavily on sameness, it's wholly refreshing.

5 /5

I tried for a couple hours last night. Invited my friend over today,
he plays drums irl and is also pretty into rhythm games.
He just beat it, I guess I'm buying him pizza.
In addition to being incredibly hard, it is a really awesome finale.
Glad you enjoyed it! Drakengard 3 is a very rough game, to put it nicely, but I think it's still a worthwhile experience, and that finale is one of the best things Taro's ever done.

I still listen to that song all the time, months later.

GameRevolution's 8 hasn't been added yet though, so they might cancel each other.

Shoot, I forgot about that.... (I was kinda hoping they were another Gamekult, where their scores were so much harsher compared to the average that they were discontinued from Metacritic. They're 7.8 Points lower on average, so not as bad as Gamerkult it seems.)

After both are added, we'll still have 89 (90.1429 Rounding down due to weighting)...

... at that point, it's up to Edge, EZA, and TSA to save the day with a 93.667 average among them.

Shoot, I forgot about that.... (I was kinda hoping they were another Gamekult, where their scores were so much harsher compared to the average that they were discontinued from Metacritic. They're 7.8 Points lower on average, so not as bad as Gamerkult it seems.)

After both are added, we'll still have 89 (90.1429 Rounding down due to weighting)...

... at that point, it's up to Edge, EZA, and TSA to save the day with a 93.667 average among them.
I think Jimquisition will be a 10, along with EZA. TSA probably a 9 based on the pre-score text, and Edge is a wildcard, but they love quirky, self-aware games with heart.

I'd say 90 is a lock.

As someone who's played about ~40 hours of the game, I'm pretty shocked by the critical reaction to it--not because I don't think it's one of the most interesting games of the year, but because it's interesting for reasons critics so often miss (and don't have the patience to uncover). A lot of the game's best moments are hidden behind an overabundance of repeated content, which even I struggled to get through. In general, this game has a pretty long list of unequivocal "issues" that usually affect final scores, making me think the original Nier would be much more well-received if it were to come out today.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As someone who's played about ~40 hours of the game, I'm pretty shocked by the critical reaction to it--not because I don't think it's one of the most interesting games of the year, but because it's interesting for reasons critics so often miss (and don't have the patience to uncover). A lot of the game's best moments are hidden behind an overabundance of repeated content, which even I struggled to get through. In general, this game has a pretty long list of unequivocal "issues" that usually affect final scores, making me think the original Nier would be much more well-received if it were to come out today.

platinum's polish helps alleviate a lot of the issues, its so fun to play there isn't much problem with getting through stuff for many who otherwise would have found it a slog

The US Gamer review is a great read because you get to see how her opinions shift and form across playing the A route and then coming back after beating the game.

platinum's polish helps alleviate a lot of the issues, its so fun to play there isn't much problem with getting through stuff for many who otherwise would have found it a slog

But that's just it--it looks very primitive, graphically (and the framerate is super uneven), and the combat doesn't change *that* much from beginning to end, especially compared to other games Platinum has made in the past.

Just to be clear, I'm glad this game scored like it did--I think it's really exciting that non-weirdos can now better appreciate weird-ass games--but I'm very surprised nonetheless!

LotusHD

Banned
The US Gamer review is a great read because you get to see how her opinions shift and form across playing the A route and then coming back after beating the game.

I'm tired of everyone talking about how great the beginning of Route C is. I wanna experience it already, I should go play Nier now lol

Archtreyz

Bought this with Target Buy 2 Get One Free so I have to wait until Tuesday for it. I never played the first one, but wiki'd the plot and it's very interesting. This thread convinced me to go for it.

magnetic

I'm just super hyped to have a game that combines Platinum combat with RPG mechanics and a super interesting character/world design and a supposedly intriguing story.

As much as I like Bayonetta for instance, after a while the constant outrageousness gets weirdly tiring. The desaturated and industrial mood from what I've seen so far definitely appeals to me after the explosion of color in most of their other titles.

Nintendo + Monolith combined their powers for an exceptional game, so this concept of combining talent to form a "developer supergroup" is very intriguing.

And I know this is maybe a weird thing to reference, but the general style reminds me a bit of Ikaruga - dystopian, yet oddly elegant.

Game Revolution's 80/100 has been added to the MC, so we're at 89.9375 for now.

That is, until USGamer's 100/100 is added, and we get EZA/TSA/Jim's reviews.

Philippo

Man, those reviews description of storytelling and gameplay mechanics, after the first NieR i'm expecting nothing less than a spiritual/philosophical revelation.

Squire

Banned

I think the slow rise of indie games - them often being pretty experimental - has done a LOT for the tastes and tolerance of critics.

Top Bottom