• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

Draikin 2

I'm really not sure that supporting a botched port is sending the right message, though. Doesn't that also tell Sega that people are willing to accept a subpar product if it's related to a game they enjoyed in the past? That doesn't bode well for a next entry in the series either.

Anyway, waiting for the PC version *is* still an interest in getting the rerelease. It's not our fault that Sega delayed the PC version significantly past the other versions!
I understand that, but the controls are the only real issue with the game and even then newcomers aren't even going to notice this. I think we should buy the game and let Sega we'd like them to improve the controls, I think that sends a positive message to them. They still care more about their fans than a lot of bigger gaming companies out there. And as for the delay: it may actually not be a bad thing for us. It gives Sega time to fix the PC version, and that fix could lead to an update for the XBLA/PSN version.

Ms. Tea

I understand that, but the controls are the only real issue with the game and even then newcomers aren't even going to notice this. I think we should buy the game and let Sega we'd like them to improve the controls, I think that sends a positive message to them. They still care more about their fans than a lot of bigger gaming companies out there. And as for the delay: it may actually not be a bad thing for us. It gives Sega time to fix the PC version, and that fix could lead to an update for the XBLA/PSN version.

Yes, but it sounds like the people putting off buying it are people who own and played the heck out of the original - saying newcomers won't notice it doesn't mean anything to people like me.

I mean I want to encourage Sega to do the right thing, but when it comes down to it I have a version of Nights on my PC that plays exactly right already. I was excited about playing it in HD but I really have trouble being motivated to double-dip if it doesn't play right.

I agree the delay isn't a bad thing if it means the PC controls are fixed, but also keep in mind you were telling someone they shouldn't wait for the PC version and to buy now to "send a message". So I guess the message that sends is "no patch necessary, players will buy it anyway".

scitek

C'mon, Sega isn't touching the PC version. And I bet it's already completed and is ready to be uploaded, but hasn't been so that people will be forced to buy it on console if they want to play it and not have a chance to just download it on their PC for free.

I'm cynical, yes, but their community manager already stupidly admitted the delay wasn't because the game wasn't developed alongside the console versions, so what other reason could it be?

Draikin 2

I agree the delay isn't a bad thing if it means the PC controls are fixed, but also keep in mind you were telling someone they shouldn't wait for the PC version and to buy now to "send a message". So I guess the message that sends is "no patch necessary, players will buy it anyway".
The way I see it, the decision to create a patch basically depends on two factors:

- Is it impacting a significant amount of users?
- Is the game profitable enough to invest further resources into improving it?

So if a game is under-performing, it's easier to decide to cut your losses and not invest any more resources. But if it's profitable, it may be worth listening as you want to keep those customers happy. Worst case: you spend €8 and the problem isn't fixed. You'll remember that next time you think about buying a game. If it's fixed, everybody wins. It's not that I don't get what you're saying though. I'm just looking at it from the viewpoint of someone who really doesn't want this rerelease (and the entire NiGHTS franchise, and potential future Saturn rereleases) go to waste.

C'mon, Sega isn't touching the PC version. And I bet it's already completed and is ready to be uploaded, but hasn't been so that people will be forced to buy it on console if they want to play it and not have a chance to just download it on their PC for free.
Had this been Ubisoft, then yeah this would probably be the case. But it's Sega, and remember that Jet Set Radio HD was released at pretty much the same time as the console versions.

Honestly though, my point is just that by drowning the game in negativity, everybody loses. So I don't see how that's going to help anyone.

Eusis

If testers noticed this, reported it, and got "yeah yeah whatever" I'm not too optimistic it will be fixed afterall. HOWEVER, whether or not the PC version is officially fixed it's probably an opportunity for the community to dig in and fix it themselves, so I'll be keeping an eye on what happens there. Definitely grabbing in a Steam sale.

I'm cynical, yes, but their community manager already stupidly admitted the delay wasn't because the game wasn't developed alongside the console versions, so what other reason could it be?

the game will be like jet set with steam achievements,etc

Please reconsider. It's a bargain at this price, and even if you don't play it, if the game is a success Sega will be more inclined to listen. If this doesn't sell, NiGHTS as a franchise might very well be over.

I made a video showing the difference in controls between the Saturn, PS2 and HD version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnj6aRzwk

Besides not seeing the witch costume, I also don't know how I can set the system date on an XBox360 when the game requires me to login to Live (which automatically sets the system date). I'd have to create a separate account, but I'd rather keep all my progress on one account.

Thank you for the control comparison video. It really makes it obvious that there's a difference. It's a lot more constructive than people dropping the f-bomb and saying the game is absolutely trash and unplayable when it is obviously not. I wonder why they decided to give it that kind of direction input. Both of the HD twins have similar analog inputs so why only give digital? I am enjoying the flawed port immensely but if the fans can convince SEGA to at least confront this issue it will make it even better.

As for changing system time on your 360 it looks like if you sign into live you cannot tamper with the date and current time just time zone. Here is the Microsoft support article link that explains it in further detail. HERE

scitek

Had this been Ubisoft, then yeah this would probably be the case. But it's Sega, and remember that Jet Set Radio HD was released at pretty much the same time as the console versions.

Honestly though, my point is just that by drowning the game in negativity, everybody loses. So I don't see how that's going to help anyone.

I get what you're saying. It would probably be beneficial to start an email campaign considering this is a pretty niche release anyway. You'd think there'd be a better chance a release of this size would be fixed than say, Uncharted 3.

the game will be like jet set with steam achievements,etc

I know, but I doubt they'll spend the extra time they have until the PC release tweaking the game. I expect it to be like with Arkham City's release last year.

robot

Why'd they change the V/O in Christmas Nights? The original was hilarious, I miss it.

I set my clock to 12/25 thinking I'd unlock Christmas Nights, but instead got remixed stage music for the first 2 intro levels. Did that really happen, because I was pretty drunk at the time.

Great to play through this again!

bwahhhhh

Why'd they change the V/O in Christmas Nights? The original was hilarious, I miss it.

I set my clock to 12/25 thinking I'd unlock Christmas Nights, but instead got remixed stage music for the first 2 intro levels. Did that really happen, because I was pretty drunk at the time.

haha, I just unlocked Christmas NiGHTS (beat the main game with both characters) and the changed narrator for the intro suprised me. the original one sounded like they just got some kid off the street to read it.

While I did find the original campy VO entertaining I think the change was for the best. Especially for those new to the game.

danwarb

A sense of momentum is lost in this too. You could do tight loops and NiGHTS would still be moving backward before dashing away in the direction you were pointing. Try the same now and you fly straight into the floor.

andymcc

Banned
Of course this thread slides back to page 5 when my review is up: http://putthatback.org/review/nights-into-dreams/

despite what you told me on twitter, i bought the game anyways.

never have i been so inclined to hook my saturn back up. i've been thinking about a Sakura Taisen 1/2 playthrough recently, this pretty much further cements the decision. the controls are just way off and it's nearly impossible for me to a-rank stages. at least the music is as gorgeous and pleasant as ever.

I cant wait to get off work and play this game.
If it's your first time ever remember that getting Ds and Cs is just the beginning of the game. Also when you get your first A it will feel great but you're only chipping at the surface. This game's score attack is so deep if you give it a chance. :D

MarkusRJR

I just bought all of the Dreamcast/Saturn HD ports on PSN. Now I have to wait for them to download. I've only ever owned a Genesis and played Sonic Adventure 1/2 before so this will be a whole new experience for me. Hopefully the control issues above won't be too bothersome.

SEGA better release Shenmue 1 and 2 in HD or I'll be pissed. :p

Making my own comparison video to accompany a review I'm writing

DGSrw.jpg

Maybe I'm going overboard

Amalthea

Banned
It's still a wonderful game but the controls are a massive fuck-up. I mean even when you don't take into account that Nights is designed for smooth controls, how can a game programmer fuck up to properly program an analog stick? It's like a baker doesn't know how to make dough.

decaf

Making my own comparison video to accompany a review I'm writing

DGSrw.jpg

Maybe I'm going overboard
You're using the actual Saturn version rather than the included "Saturn" version, right? Timing for links have changed on both the versions included compared to the original Saturn version.

Edit: never mind, noticed the Saturn controller.

Roklie

I suck at this game. I can't even get to the 3rd level boss, my time always runs out at some point during the stage.

Shiloa

I suck at this game. I can't even get to the 3rd level boss, my time always runs out at some point during the stage.
Tip 1: You need 20 blue orbs to destroy the spaceship thing. If you don't have 20 yet, avoid the thing (don't go inside it) as it wastes time part-destroying it. If you have 19 when you go past it, grab one orb and go back, rather than all the way around the circuit.

danwarb

Tip 2: You enter bonus time after you break out an orb, where everything is x2. So use the time left to rack up a high score.

And hows the comparison thus far?

Well I'm only really doing a control comparison - the camera setup I had to record my hands on the gamepads wasn't exactly ideal so I couldn't just record everything.

There is a very clear, obvious difference in controls. I spent some time flying very slow loops around the starting area of Spring Valley and in the XBLA version those "loops" end up looking pretty square.

It is also much easier to do Acrobat Time in the XBLA version - on the Saturn, I struggle to max out at 7 tricks, but on the XBLA version I generally hit 9-10 pretty regularly (this is something carried over from the PS2 version).

I also recorded footage of fighting Puffy, but upon comparison that's not as different as I thought it was. The way the camera works when you're holding on to her is a little different in the XBLA version, where you aren't given quite as much time to see what's ahead of you when the camera spins around, but I don't know if that's significant enough to show without it looking petty.

The cage in Stick Canyon works completely differently in the XBLA version. In the Saturn version, you can hold up, down, left, or right to point the cage in that direction, but in the XBLA version, you can only move left and right to rotate the cage.

Thinking about it now I actually forgot to record some stuff; there were a couple things in Soft Museum I wanted to record (there's a missing sound cue). I can probably forgo the picture-in-a-picture stuff for that - setting the camera up again would be a pretty big pain.

danwarb

I'd like to see the comparison. These rigid controls are making me want to break out the original, if I can find it.

danwarb

I asked about an analog update through the Sega Europe support website, they said they've passed my comments on to the developer.

cajunator

Banned
Just finally got around to getting the PSN version. controls feel a bit stiff. The old 3D pad was super smooth. From reading back a little, it looksl ike lots of people noticed this. Well I suck at the game anyway so it doesnt make much difference lol. I used to fail just trying to fight Jackle. I REALLY need more practice.
That said, I did enjoy the NiGHTS journey of Dreams wii game as well, although it had a lot of shitty parts.

How'd you unlock Christmas NiGHTS, the last 2 levels and the main menu ????s? I have to get As don't I? Well that ain't happening. Pissed if I can't get Xmas any other way.

Krelian

Bought the Xbox 360 version today and completed the three Elliot and Claris stages (not many A ranks yet). The controls are alright though. After all the complaints I read here I expected the worst. They may not be identical to the original's controls but they're totally fine by me.

I forgot how awful some of the boss fights were. Curse you, Jackle!

Draikin 2

by that, they mean they threw your email in the trash.
Of course. I mean it's not like they bothered listening to the fans asking to release the game in HD. Oh wait...

Seriously though, give Sega some credit. I think they've done a lot for the Dreamcast and Saturn fans lately. I'd also like to point out that they even bothered to patch the controls for Binary Domain on the PC. I don't know a lot of companies that would have bothered to do that when they already knew the game wouldn't meet their sales expectations. All I can say is that, even though they're having a rough time right now, I see a Sega that's genuinely trying to meet fan expectations, and for that they earned my respect.

For those who'd like to see a patch, please consider taking a few minutes of your time to contact Sega:

America: https://segaofamerica.zendesk.com/home
Europe/other: https://support.sega.co.uk/home

Like I said, they're not suddenly going to stop listening to the fans now after bringing the game back on their request. As long as you stay constructive, there's no harm in asking them to improve the controls.

Roto13

I only see one theme and it's not very free. :p

Sorry if this has been asked already (I'm sure it has) but does the system clock stuff still work with Christmas NiGHTS? ie. Can you still play as Reala on April 1st?

I don't see a free theme. Got my hopes up that Sega fixed their screw-up with promising a free theme to everyone that purchased the game.

Like, no theme at all or just not for free? It was amongst the Latest->New This Week stuff when I got it yesterday, maybe a couple pages down. Guess it's not up everywhere yet, or was a pricing error?

ShadiWulf

Like, no theme at all or just not for free? It was amongst the Latest->New This Week stuff when I got it yesterday, maybe a couple pages down. Guess it's not up everywhere yet, or was a pricing error?

SA2 and NiGHTS themes are supposed to be free for anyone who bought the game, but... they aren't free for lots of people, including myself.. i guess its some weird glitch. SEGA is looking into it though, they know about it.

Mike M

Nick N
Everytime I see this thread bumped, I hope that there's news of a patch that fixes the controls.

I know it will never happen, but I still hope : (

Krelian

Man, I love NiGHTS. It's so much fun! I'm currently working on my last Achievement: A ranking every stage. Three more to go :) It's really been a blast.

Top Bottom