• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nike cuts ties with superstar boxer Manny Pacquiao following LGBT scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senketsu

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/35600341

Nike has terminated its relationship with Manny Pacquiao after the six-weight world champion described homosexuals as "worse than animals".

The 37-year-old, who is running for a senate seat in his native Philippines, later apologised for his comments.

"We find Manny Pacquiao's comments abhorrent," said a Nike statement.

"Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community."

The sportswear company added: "We no longer have a relationship with Manny Pacquiao."

Pacquiao's original remark was made in a television interview and he initially appeared unrepentant, writing on Instagram that he was "just telling the truth of what the Bible says".

However, he later wrote on Facebook he was "not condemning LGBT", while still voicing his opposition for gay marriage.

Pacquiao, whose last fight was a defeat by Floyd Mayweather in May, is due to fight American Timothy Bradley Jr in Las Vegas in April.

British world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury apologised in December for criticising homosexuality, as well as derogatory remarks he made about women.

But boxing promoter Frank Warren told BBC Radio 5 live that the sport did not have a problem with homophobia.

"No matter what walk of life you come from there are bigots," said Warren. "I don't think it's a problem for boxing. In Tyson Fury's case I hope it was something he said on the spur of the moment. He regrets it.

"You can't condemn all of sport because of people's stupid remarks. They are two boxers out of many thousands of boxers.

"Pacquiao's certainly lost any type of sponsorship. That's all finished. No-one's ever going to sponsor him again.

"The majority of the fans will be totally abhorred about what he said, but that is going be the test - how many people decide they want to watch him fight."

Must be weird to have the sycophant bubble around him burst and be exposed to the outside world. I wonder if he's actually sorry or more confused like "I've been saying homophobic shit for years and now this happens?"

Slayven

Must be weird to have the sycophant bubble around him burst and be exposed to the outside world. I wonder if he's actually sorry or more confused like "I've been saying homophobic shit for years and now this happens?"

Being a god in your country has it's privileges.

Holy crap he said what? good freaking lord, no respect for him at all now

Does explain some facebook posts from very 'Christian' people on my facebook about supporting poor Manny in his time of need
guess its time for another facebook cull

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I love how he tried to spin "worse than animals" as somehow not being condemning. Is there anyone on earth who takes these forced apologies seriously?

brawly

Manny got KO'd again

KO_original.gif

Somone put a nike logo on there

Saya

Some reactions to this news are hilarious. "I will boycot all Nike products because they support LGBT" some people wrote on Facebook, a very LGBT supportive company.

Funny how so many people who get punched in the head for a living come out with stupid, ridiculous stuff.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with it. Growing up in a poor province in the Philippines as an uber-devout Catholic probably has everything to do with it. I mean, come on, he was raised around folks who cast hexes on his opponents during his matches. Did you really expect him to have a modern liberal view on any social issues?

operon

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with it. Growing up in a poor province in the Philippines as an uber-devout Catholic probably has everything to do with it. I mean, come on, he was raised around folks who cast hexes on his opponents during his matches. Did you really expect him to have a modern liberal view on any social issues?

he's an evangelical Christian now, we've cut our links with him as well

Froli

From Manny Pacquaio's interview yesterday, he mentions that LGBT couples who performs sexual acts will go to hell. He also doesn't understand the meaning of Separation of church and state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom