• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

d0c_zaius

I'm reviewing it. That means playing through one version first to get the game done, then checking out the other version when there's time. I'm not sure how a hardcore NG player would start with the PS3 version – the Xbox controller has been the game's home from the start.

huh? I've played both the originals and Sigmas, and there is no problem switching between two identical controller layouts.

In fact they are so similar that it really comes down to personal comfort choices, not the "home" of the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm reviewing it. That means playing through one version first to get the game done, then checking out the other version when there's time. I'm not sure how a hardcore NG player would start with the PS3 version – the Xbox controller has been the game's home from the start.

that's kind of a silly thing to say

kind of

aegies

that's kind of a silly thing to say

kind of

I'm not going to punish the PS3 version because of my being accustomed to NG on the Xbox pad. Controller preference is probably the most subjective thing out there. I would prefer to come at the game from my most comfortable position and judge it from there, then determine if content/design/tech wise the other version is the same or better.

I really am expecting the PS3 version to be smoother, honestly.

How does Ninja Gaiden 3 looks when 1080p is enabled? NG Sigma 1 and 2 looked washed out in 1080p and noticeably better in 720p! I hope Team Ninja has done it right this time!

Ryan_IGN

Hey Ryan, you mention in your review that the game is a bit shorter than the other games in the series. Can you give us an estimate? What difficulty did you play it on? Thanks.

I always play games on Normal difficulty to start with, and with NG3 I breezed through in about 8-ish hours. I think the shorter campaign has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't get hung up in any tough spots at all, really. Thus, I recommend that fellow NG veterans (as I state in the sidebar on the review's second page) start on Hard difficulty.

P.S. I'm playing with a build that has the Extra Weapons DLC as we speak. I'll be updating the review with my impressions on that soon.

Drewfonse

I always play games on Normal difficulty to start with, and with NG3 I breezed through in about 8-ish hours. I think the shorter campaign has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't get hung up in any tough spots at all, really. Thus, I recommend that fellow NG veterans (as I state in the sidebar on the review's second page) start on Hard difficulty.

P.S. I'm playing with a build that has the Extra Weapons DLC as we speak. I'll be updating the review with my impressions on that soon.

Sounds good. Hard it is.

Loudninja

So the game is shipping with those weapons?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
QTE can be turned off? That actually makes me want to get it more than anything else, for a series and genre I already enjoy that is.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Bah to a review that wasn't clear then. Well, how bad is the QTE then? Too much in a game and I just can't enjoy these days.

d0c_zaius

ok. well I wanted to finish chapter 1 before offering impressions on the PS3 version, but the stupid boss is preventing that. so I'll try not to make these too ragey:

- playing on Hard. Game felt good at first but its starting to wear thin. Big areas with respawning enemies, feels like 7-10 waves of 5 each. Just too many and with no variety. These blade enemies block everything for days and it feels tedious to fight them already.

-by the second screen I was dealing with offscreen projectile fun. rocket launcher enemies arent bad and neither are the spread missile guys, but put in respawning blade enemies and their machines...it gets a mess. I'm not sure if its an on purpose troll, but there's a sequence that is all about offscreen projectiles.

-the health system feels lame. I see a long bar for a second, then get stuck with a half size bar for most of the combat. Even weirder is the dragon magic that kills everyone and refills my health. I don't really like depending on a rage move for healing, especially when its not existent during a boss fight.

-graphically it looks clean and plays smooth. but it isnt a huge step from sigma 2 I guess. There are some impressive details though during the combat, with blood flying everywhere. Some stuff feels cheap though, like groups of enemies spawning out of thin air when you reach a line. No v-sync or general frame rate issues so far.

-the in combat QTEs.....no just no. It really takes me out of the fighting to see a triangle button in the middle of the screen. Turning them off is fine, but good luck during a boss fight. More annoying though, the pace of the combat prevents me from enjoying a boss fight. At least on hard, this asshole feels pretty much invincible. If I dont move constantly I get owned in two seconds, which makes QTES during the fight annoying as hell when I mash a set of moves out only to fail a QTE that appeared in a second. Also during regular fights, these moments darken the screen and one fight I couldnt see anything for 3-4 seconds, I just had to hope and push the QTE button. It also feels awkward to do 4 body severing slashes through an enemy in slow motion and see an un-severed corpse hit the ground.

-some stuff feels just different, not in a bad way but just a weird way. some presentation and music feels MGS-ish, and the chick saying RYUUUUU every time you die is straight up SNAKE SNAKEEEEE. I like the cutscenes though. They feel less goofy and more focused than previous NGs.

-the gliding QTE is lame but the kunai climbing is not as lame as people described.

-I primarily used the Dragon Sword (except for the double swords) so I cant comment on the lack of weapon variety. No move upgrades is o_0 though.

For the first chapter, it felt really long but not because of level diversity, but from what felt like killing 50 enemies in an area to go to another area to kill 50 enemies. So far its love/hate but I hope it smooths itself out as I get past.....chapter 1.

edit: I beat him but it was just a tad frustrating. you die so quickly that its hard to even learn what he does. I kept hoping to see a blue orb fly out somewhere during the fight...

Ryan, when you played on normal how many enemies did you fight on average per area in chapter 1? I'm curious how the difficulty changes impact enemy spawn counts and enemy types.

Uggggggh @ Ultimate Ninja mode being DLC. I just wanted to rent this game, play it for a week or so, and never touch it again. Now I might have to buy it so I can hold on to it for a while. :|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
For the people that are playing: how random are SOB moves exactly? Is there any context for it - like the enemy has to be in a stagger or something, is there a specific button you press to trigger it, or is it totally unpredictable and happens whenever you attack an enemy after inflicting a certain amount of damage?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
For the people that are playing: how random are SOB moves exactly? Is there any context for it - like the enemy has to be in a stagger or something, is there a specific button you press to trigger it, or is it totally unpredictable and happens whenever you attack an enemy after inflicting a certain amount of damage?

I still have to figure it out myself but I've noticed it's more frequent when you are surrounded by close enemies, so it might have to do with that.

ok. well I wanted to finish chapter 1 before offering impressions on the PS3 version, but the stupid boss is preventing that. so I'll try not to make these too ragey:

- playing on Hard. Game felt good at first but its starting to wear thin. Big areas with respawning enemies, feels like 7-10 waves of 5 each. Just too many and with no variety. These blade enemies block everything for days and it feels tedious to fight them already.

-by the second screen I was dealing with offscreen projectile fun.

2WJI0.gif

Zeliard

I don't think I'm gonna play this anytime soon. But just watching any sort of NG play again, even if it isn't quite the same, did push to buy Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 yesterday which I've never played.

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favorite games of all-time, and I also adored NG2, but I've never tried the PS3 variations. I have that NG itch again. :p

Jesus Christ this is coming out already!? I haven't even bought Silent Hill yet and this is coming on top of that? I had totally forgotten.

I read through the entire thread and it looks like the series is on point to crash and burn. The only question is will Ninja Gaiden 3 possibly be worse than Ninja Gaiden 2. That is the real debate. I'm talking about gameplay of course, as all 2 games were prone to extreme cheese in its narrative.

Playing NGS right now. Man, I forgot how much Rachael SUCKS. Not just as a gameplay character, but just storywise. Bitch gets captured THREE TIMES, and she can't even kill Alma when I already did the hard part for you. That was your whole mission in life, and you couldn't even do it when its handed to you on a silver platter!

God, she is terrible.

rvy

Banned
-by the second screen I was dealing with offscreen projectile fun. rocket launcher enemies arent bad and neither are the spread missile guys, but put in respawning blade enemies and their machines...it gets a mess. I'm not sure if its an on purpose troll, but there's a sequence that is all about offscreen projectiles.
God, why? This ruined NG2, along with a bunch of other issues. Why bring back off-screen projectiles and rocket launcher enemies.

6:54 for NGS playthrough. I haven't played either it or Black in years, but I can tell they streamlined a few things, some for the better and some for worse. I could do without the Rachael missions though, god she sucks. Only deaths were from bottomless pits, the game is VERY generous with healing potions and lifebar upgrades, its hard to actually die in combat in NGS, at least on Normal. Playing through this game, I actually don't mind the exercising of the health potions at all from NG3.

Robot Pants

Spruchy

Ok so let me get this straight.

Extra weapons are DLC.
A DIFFICULTY LEVEL is DLC.
Both free.

....wwwwhhhyyyyyyyyy?
Put it on the fucking disc.
I'm not understanding this.

Team Ninja is doing public service and pushing for all people within our nation to obtain internet somehow.

sleepykyo

Ok so let me get this straight.

Extra weapons are DLC.
A DIFFICULTY LEVEL is DLC.
Both free.

....wwwwhhhyyyyyyyyy?
Put it on the fucking disc.
I'm not understanding this.

Oh good. QTEs right off the bat.
Because Hayashi saw that people hate on disc dlc. Sony gives thanks.

raven777

Does anyone know if Ayane only shows up in the part where she give Ryu Jinran-maru, or does she show up more in other cutscenes?

Mitama

Uggggggh @ Ultimate Ninja mode being DLC. I just wanted to rent this game, play it for a week or so, and never touch it again. Now I might have to buy it so I can hold on to it for a while. :|

Hardest difficulty in a Ninja Gaiden game DLC only? smh...

*edit: wait what, it's free? Hmm.. I guess it's their form of anti-piracy.

d0c_zaius

ok so I've had a little more time with the game and I'm starting to adjust to the QTEs and stuff, and its getting pretty fun. The ranged enemies become less of a pain after the first level and now I am accustomed to the overall enemy attack times and stuff.

You can still die super quickly like in all NGs but it feels pretty rewarding to demolish so many enemies. I dont know why they chose to make the SOB attack a QTE since its just a button press tied to the same animation every time. If you didn't see the icon, you would think its just a normal attack. Its fun trying to chain as many enemies as you can with it.

You really have to constantly move around to stay alive. I don't know if the previous games had this many enemies at once attacking (or at least this early in the game), but it can get pretty crazy.

I should have played on normal first just for like 30 mins before going straight into hard. I was definitely rusty.

God, why? This ruined NG2, along with a bunch of other issues. Why bring back off-screen projectiles and rocket launcher enemies.

But as far as off screen projectile enemies goes, I take back my statement about them being overly annoying, but they should
give you the bow from the beginning
. This has made the game more enjoyable definitely (although its a boring mechanic). I've played for about 4 hours now and haven't had problems with being cheaped with rockets too much. At this point its just a reminder to pay attention to far distances. The only frustrating thing at this point are enemies with crazy long dashes into unblockable grabs that do a nice bit of damage, but that is just a reminder to keep moving. The repetitive voice overs are pretty dumb.

I should have played on normal first just for like 30 mins before going straight into hard. Don't get me wrong though, there are still frustrating situations: rocket guys + knife guys + normal guys + grabby cheap guys , all in a small room. It can go from lovable to downright annoying depending on the encounter setup. Its a definitely a love/hate game.

Each level(day) seems pretty long.

Anyone who has the game, can you test to see if you can play the Ultimate Ninja Trials from the start? I read the other comment's saying Ultimate difficulty is DLC but maybe the trials are different?

i watched a stream of a boss fight..i like the character designs in this, part of what turned me off about the other NG's was the garish boss and enemy designs, the arm growing boss alone looks better than any boss in the other game..but this game looks hard as balls..if there's a ninja puppy mode i might bite though.

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews from trust worthy hardcore NG players, people that actually I know and trust. I think I have to prepare myself for this game, I was coming with an open mind but I guess I need to detach the NG game from this game to actually enjoy it.

Mr Spliff

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews from trust worthy hardcore NG players, people that actually I know and trust. I think I have to prepare myself for this game, I was coming with an open mind but I guess I need to detach the NG game from this game to actually enjoy it.

That would be best, it real has a different feel to it. Not sure if this has been addressed but some things I noticed that people were asking about:

1. There is Japanese voiceover with English subtitle
2. Optional install on PS3
3. No trials at the start

I only played for about 20min last night and will play again tonight. When you put in the game, it just starts so you have to quit to main menu to change these settings.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game as a NG game. NGB is action perfection to me, I thought NG2 was OK, not a big fan of it and I played both Sigma games. However, all of those felt like different spins on Itagaki's NG style. This feels unrelated to those games gameplay-wise. I haven't got in-depth with it but I am 100% confident i will enjoy it more if I try not to compare it to the other games and take it as it's own Ninja game, not a continuation of the series........I hope. So far, I'm not sure if I like how they have set-up encounters, feels more arena style rather than going through pockets of enemies getting to a goal. Not sure how to express this, it's like, kill all enemies here in this one spot to proceed rather than I am progressing and taking out enemies in the way. Like I said, this game has a different feel from the rest.

Performance wise, I really wished I got the 360 copy as well just to compare but I went with my gut and got the PS3 version only. I don't have technical experience with this stuff but I didn't notice any visible, obvious tearing and the frame-rate seemed smooth i.e. I did not get dizzy or feel nauseous playing as i do with games with really bad framerates (as a reference, I have take frequent breaks playing ME3 and I'm playing that on 360). However, I have not played a lot of it, this is just an initial impression. The game does look a bit dark and their is a brightness setting at the start of the game but in the main menu you can tweak gamma, contrast etc. I'll try and post more impressions as I play tonight, gone for the day.

ok so I've had a little more time with the game and I'm starting to adjust to the QTEs and stuff, and its getting pretty fun. The ranged enemies become less of a pain after the first level and now I am accustomed to the overall enemy attack times and stuff.

You can still die super quickly like in all NGs but it feels pretty rewarding to demolish so many enemies. I dont know why they chose to make the SOB attack a QTE since its just a button press tied to the same animation every time. If you didn't see the icon, you would think its just a normal attack. Its fun trying to chain as many enemies as you can with it.

You really have to constantly move around to stay alive. I don't know if the previous games had this many enemies at once attacking (or at least this early in the game), but it can get pretty crazy.

I should have played on normal first just for like 30 mins before going straight into hard. I was definitely rusty.

But as far as off screen projectile enemies goes, I take back my statement about them being overly annoying, but they should
give you the bow from the beginning
. This has made the game more enjoyable definitely (although its a boring mechanic). I've played for about 4 hours now and haven't had problems with being cheaped with rockets too much. At this point its just a reminder to pay attention to far distances. The only frustrating thing at this point are enemies with crazy long dashes into unblockable grabs that do a nice bit of damage, but that is just a reminder to keep moving. The repetitive voice overs are pretty dumb.

I should have played on normal first just for like 30 mins before going straight into hard. Don't get me wrong though, there are still frustrating situations: rocket guys + knife guys + normal guys + grabby cheap guys , all in a small room. It can go from lovable to downright annoying depending on the encounter setup. Its a definitely a love/hate game.

Each level(day) seems pretty long.

Sounds like it's more NG2 than NG1, in terms of the battle system. Are there more enemies on screen at once than NGS2?

Drewfonse

I must say that the impressions from people who have the game have been encouraging. 3rd person action is probably my favorite genre, and I don't have a rabid attachment to the NG series, so I might just dig this.

Keep the impressions coming, they've been great so far.

I'm warming up this game every day I see it, especially after recently playing NGS. I'm ok with it not being NGB 2.0, and I think I'll just judge it on its own merits.

Top Bottom