• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Does anyone have impressions of how the game plays on hard?
I've been watching some videos, seems it's pretty challenging as it is on normal too.
2 days left :)

Kinyou

Are they planning on releasing a demo? I think there's no way I'll pick this up without testing the fighting system a little.

Victrix

*beard*
the absolute worst thing about this game, and the reason I might have to turn it to Japanese dialog

私は死にたくない

私は死にたくない

私は死にたくない

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Been watching some of the walkthrough videos on YouTube.

Looks pretty much like Ninja Gaiden to me. Ryu talking a lot, although but not much of a distraction. This games look pretty good mindless fun to me. I'll definitely be adding this to my NG collection.

d0c_zaius

Sounds like it's more NG2 than NG1, in terms of the battle system. Are there more enemies on screen at once than NGS2?

It's been a while since I played 2 so its hard to say for sure without going back and checking, but it feels like more enemies (or maybe more waves of enemies). After playing the first level on hard, I felt like I fought more enemies than in chapters 1 and 2 of NG1. That could just be an impression though and not fact.

I must say that the impressions from people who have the game have been encouraging. 3rd person action is probably my favorite genre, and I don't have a rabid attachment to the NG series, so I might just dig this.

Keep the impressions coming, they've been great so far.

I think that the average action game fan and third person fan will be able to enjoy the game. Some hardcore NG players might not be able to get into the different feel and approach though. It definitely took an hour or so for me to get used to things, and even now occasionally something feels goofy.

Does anyone have impressions of how the game plays on hard?
I've been watching some videos, seems it's pretty challenging as it is on normal too.
2 days left :)

All my impressions have been from playing it on hard. I'm not a super NG player (I just play on hard not Master Ninja), but I have to constantly be on top of things or I die in 1 second. Combat tasks really require the user to be on point with the amount of enemy waves and the pace of the fighting.
this game is just a travesty. :(

I've played through every NG and calling it a travesty is just a tad bit extreme.

"I don't wanna die"

"I don't wanna die"

"I don't wanna die"

Yea the repetitive VOs are dumb, especially when it the same guy saying "I like killing" as hes getting chopped up.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered, but I will be severely disappointed.

Skilletor

so as not to go backwards and make the gameplay disappointing.

NG1 is better than NG2, imo, and most NG fans including Thoughtsofspeaking (according to his posts). Speed has nothing to do with how good the game will be.

I was pretty negative toward the game, but recent vids and impressions have me looking forward to it. I'm not a hardcore fan (I beat NGB on every difficulty, but only played through NGS2 twice), and the core gameplay still looks plenty sweet.

Plus, doc_zaius and I have similar taste in games, and I trust his opinion.

Hype train was late in arriving, but it's here now!

Misfits

Neo Member
NG1 is better than NG2, imo. Speed has nothing to do with how good the game will be.

2 felt rushed and incomplete to me. Like the developer didn't put as much effort into it as they did the first game.

Overall though, I prefered the combat in the sequel but the first game felt a more cohesive and complete package.

NGS2 definitely took the combat to another level in terms of speed and the decap (that FEEL of swords!), but NGS2 to me also kind of erred when it made all the ultimate/charged attacks 5 seconds long for each. The invincible frames are nice, but it kind of takes me out of the groove, where as in NGS1 when I am chaining UTs I am literally doing it on an instant as I am dashing across the screen

Up to this day I still have issues with NGS2's Master Ninja AI. I beat it, but the concept of one-grab death annoys me to no end. NGS1 does the AI and damage so much better in Master Ninja, although I am still stuck at Alma :/

To me NGS2 and NGS1 are really like two different games for me. I will take NGS2' lunar anyday though

I don' t necessarily think NG3's combat needs to be faster - maybe just more refinement of weapons or counterattacks

Skilletor

2 felt rushed and incomplete to me. Like the developer didn't put as much effort into it as they did the first game.

Overall though, I prefered the combat in the sequel but the first game felt a more cohesive and complete package.

I prefer the core combat, but because it's focused more on offense to me. That doesn't mean that NG1 being slower is worse, though. Speed should only be considered relative to the game so long as everything is balanced around that speed.

Taking Hayabusa from NG2 and plopping him in NG1 wouldn't be very fun. The opposite would also be true.

Zezboob

Well, the speed of the fight depends of the focus of the gameplay and the mechanics.

NG2 focus was clearly the offensive while NG was clearly the defensive, and the speed was coherent with the mechanics of the gameplay.

Now I want to know if NG3 has any focus or coherent philosophy behind its gameplay.

NG1 is better than NG2, imo, and most NG fans including Thoughtsofspeaking (according to his posts). Speed has nothing to do with how good the game will be.

I was pretty negative toward the game, but recent vids and impressions have me looking forward to it. I'm not a hardcore fan (I beat NGB on every difficulty, but only played through NGS2 twice), and the core gameplay still looks plenty sweet.

Ok let me be clear on this. I believe NG1 even vanilla was a much more focused and polished game than NG2.

However on pure combat level, disregarding the things that held NG2 back in other areas, I think they are both equal, just different sides of the same coin.

NG3 in my view is a different coin entirely and old and rusty one at that.

By saying that I was not impressed didn't just relate to speed, it relates to fluidity, something that I think is sorely missing in this game. Even without SOB, it's just not...smooth.

You can argue that due to the player, but from what I have played, movement and combat feels jerky and undispisplined compared to previous titles. In all honesty, it felt like a more GOW-esque "flail at anything and hope you hit something" than the controlled, rock paper sissors of NG1 or the tight focused extreme brutality of NG2.

It's something that I feel will creep up on you while your playing, and is something that doesn't readily relate itself to words very well.

There is nothing wrong with being hyped, but for me, the new video is just more of the same, with a different weapon.

d0c_zaius

Ok let me be clear on this. I believe NG1 even vanilla was a much more focused and polished game than NG2.

However on pure combat level, disregarding the things that held NG2 back in other areas, I think they are both equal, just different sides of the same coin.

NG3 in my view is a different coin entirely and old and rusty one at that.

By saying that I was not impressed didn't just relate to speed, it relates to fluidity, something that I think is sorely missing in this game. Even without SOB, it's just not...smooth.

You can argue that due to the player, but from what I have played, movement and combat feels jerky and undispisplined compared to previous titles. In all honesty, it felt like a more GOW-esque "flail at anything and hope you hit something" than the controlled, rock paper sissors of NG1 or the tight focused extreme brutality of NG2.

It's something that I feel will creep up on you while your playing, and is something that doesn't readily relate itself to words very well.

There is nothing wrong with being hyped, but for me, the new video is just more of the same, with a different weapon.

This could be accurate, to a certain extent. I think it has to do also with the enemy amount that contributes to this feeling. I think its on purpose though. The game can be fast, but the pace also changes more thanks to the SOB moves. I'm not sure what game it was that started the trend(batman?), but action games these days all need that "slo-mo to emphasize the momentum" move.

It's hard to say that the pace of the game will be to hardcore NG fans liking, but its certainly grown on me after around 1.5 hours.

By the end of the first boss though, you cant flail anything. He will kill you if you overstay your welcome or get too greedy. The same thing can be said for a couple of average enemies that can cause quick death setups. Rolling around and swinging safe moves like in GoW doesn't really apply to the fights I've had so far.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's disappointing man. :(

Bosses don't mean anything in terms of Combat though. Since generally they are a different shift in gear from normal enemy combat.

d0c_zaius

Honestly, I don't know if this is a clear cut "you'll like it or not" game. I think this title will be polarizing for a lot of action game fans. When I sent you that PSN message about not feeling the game, that was based on the lacking first level (the whole beginning is kind of a wtf). It also definitely makes a couple attempts at appealing by incorporating elements from other games (GoW-esque and even Uncharted-esque feelings) which some will see as the original games focus being diluted.

But the game really started to grow on me. Of course there's things I don't like which have been reiterated a bunch in the topic already, and maybe they'll be fixed for sigma.

But I have had some very satisfying combat sequences so far (like when floe beats a boshy boss satisfying), so I can't complain about that at all. The DLC weapons are annoying definitely and I don't blame anyone for waiting for price to drop or for the content to be released before getting into the game.

I've yet to also try the coop and vs online modes as well, but I'm skeptical.

Skilletor

Honestly, I don't know if this is a clear cut "you'll like it or not" game. I think this title will be polarizing for a lot of action game fans. When I sent you that PSN message about not feeling the game, that was based on the lacking first level (the whole beginning is kind of a wtf). It also definitely makes a couple attempts at appealing by incorporating elements from other games (GoW-esque and even Uncharted-esque feelings) which some will see as the original games focus being diluted.

But the game really started to grow on me. Of course there's things I don't like which have been reiterated a bunch in the topic already, and maybe they'll be fixed for sigma.

But I have had some very satisfying combat sequences so far (like when floe beats a boshy boss satisfying), so I can't complain about that at all. The DLC weapons are annoying definitely and I don't blame anyone for waiting for price to drop or for the content to be released before getting into the game.

I've yet to also try the coop and vs online modes as well, but I'm skeptical.

Word life, son. Vids have me pretty excited, but that's coming from my expectations which were, "I'm paying 100 bucks to play DoA5 with NG3 as a bonus."

If the game is decent at all, I'd consider that a score.

MCD

NG1 is slower than NG2. Doesn't mean much.

Means a lot to me. Instead of holding that guard button like an old man I could be MAD ATTACKING.

But of course, NG1 is PERFECT. yup, JUST PERFECT to you folks.

Yes, I am mad here lol.

benzy

NG2's combat is much more versatile and deeper than NG1, regardless of being based more on offense. There is no equality between the two. Take away the defense approach in NG1, you still end up with a slower and more limited combat system. It definitely doesn't feel as fun to play.

Skilletor

Means a lot to me. Instead of holding that guard button like an old man I could be MAD ATTACKING.

But of course, NG1 is PERFECT. yup, JUST PERFECT to you folks.

Yes, I am mad here lol.

Please stop projecting. I love NG1, but I think NG2's battle system is better (as I'm pretty sure I've stated in this very thread). NG1 is a better overall package because of the obvious balance and attention to the battle system it received.

NG2 is less fun to play on higher difficulties because, in my opinion, it isn't fair.

Speed isn't the reason I think NG2 has a better battle system, though.

NG2's combat is much more versatile and deeper than NG1, regardless of being based more on offense. There is no equality between the two. Take away the defense approach in NG1, you still end up with a slower and more limited combat system.

I don't think it being limited is a bad thing, since the game is designed around Hayabusa's limitations. I look at this as I do fighting games. Just because I can FADC and do supers in SF4 doesn't mean my limited tool set (in comparison) in ST is any worse.

Robot Pants

NG2 lacks severe polish, no doubt, and has some cheapness to the difficulty. But in my humble gay opinion, it walks all over NGB.
If only it had proper attention paid to it, and wasn't interrupted and rushed because of what happened with Tecmo, it would have been even more amazing.

However, this is about NG3 and I for one do not like what I see. I might give it a shot if I can rent it. You can redbox games right? Never used a redbox before. I can't see myself buying it though. The writing is on the wall and has been since the first demo. It just strays too far from what made NG enjoyable to me for me to like it.

benzy

I don't think it being limited is a bad thing, since the game is designed around Hayabusa's limitations. I look at this as I do fighting games. Just because I can FADC and do supers in SF4 doesn't mean my limited tool set (in comparison) in ST is any worse.

I find the combat gets boring as hell after having played 2 because you're move set and amount of things you can do isn't as vast. I wouldn't say the combat was designed around Hayabusa's limitations as opposed to what they were only capable of doing on the Xbox.

After having played NG1 over and over, including NG1, Black, Sigma, and the mission modes, the combat really starts to wear thin, especially after experiencing NG2. It's still a great combat system, but it just doesn't compare. The speediness in NG2 also adds a factor of intensity which I find more enjoyable, and consider it an improvement over what we had in NG1.

Skilletor

I find the combat gets boring as hell after having played 2 because you're move set and amount of things you can do isn't as vast. I wouldn't say the combat was designed around Hayabusa's limitations as opposed to what they were only capable of doing on the Xbox.

After having played NG1 over and over, including NG1, Black, Sigma, and the mission modes, the combat really starts to wear thin, especially after experiencing NG2.

Agree to disagree, then. :)

HunkyDory

Neo Member
i watched a stream of a boss fight..i like the character designs in this, part of what turned me off about the other NG's was the garish boss and enemy designs, the arm growing boss alone looks better than any boss in the other game..but this game looks hard as balls..if there's a ninja puppy mode i might bite though.

The difficulty of Ninja Gaiden is overstated. The past games have only really been hard when you choose to play on the harder settings, but the normal setting is okay.

Anyways can't wait for NG3 - just a few more days!

ss_lemonade

This steel on bone concept makes no sense. You could initiate one and slice someone from top to bottom and they would still be alive. The fact that cut body parts were removed lessens the impact of the move

On another note, I'm guessing both console versions use the sigma engine right? Does that mean full 720p for the 360 version and a more stable framerate?

I liked seeing the Hayabusa village, the layout is very similar to the original NG/B/S. I don't know how fun that's gonna be on replays, though.

Top Bottom