• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Robot Pants

I really wish Iberians NG realm didn't go under. Really interested to hear what they thought of this.

This review is really spot on though. Especially the video review. The game is so mundane and THE SAME THING for 8 straight hours.
I watched the entire game on youtube (will still play it only if I can rent it), and I was bored to tears. There is absolutely no variety. There are maybe 6-7 ground enemies (human) and 3-4 non human. Repeated over and over, for 8 levels. Bosses are recycled as well.
I encourage everyone to at least watch some of the playthrough on youtube.
And that
T-Rex
boss fight is an absolute joke.

For everyone wanting to play this game because of the story (first of all lololol) because of the NES trilogy writer (again loololol), I think watching the playthrough will save you a lot of, what could be, wasted time.

SkylineRKR

I had no faith in Hayashi from the get go, but IGN seems to push it like they seem to do a lot lately (I am Alive was another outlier, next to Downpour). I guess they need hits?

But I would immediately believe NG3 is the worst of the trilogy. What I've seen of it looked mediocre. Still going to buy though.

HYDE

Banned
I've noticed by today's ads, that Capcom and Tecmo don't know how to market their games anymore.

There were hardly any ads showing Racoon City or NG3 in the Sunday ads at all.

Wonder if IGN is trying to draw attention to the game, since no one is taking notice, or even knows that it exists. Anyways, I thought dinosaurs were extinct.

HYDE

Banned
I really hope we are not witnessing the beginning of the death of Third-Person action genre

In Platinum we trust. Kind of like in the olds days...it was in Treasure we trust.

EDIT: Love it when the best of Konami's former employees and the best of Capcom's former employees leave to form their own studios. It usually means greatness, uniqueness, and awesomeness.

I just hope that Tecmo's former employees (Valhalla) can bring a wicked game to the table to join the Elite that is Platinum/Treasure.

MCD

NGS2? The game where all bosses health take forever to deplete? The same game where you can Izuna drop Genshin and Scythe UT almost every boss out there? LOLZERS

Victrix

*beard*
I just want to point out that a thread which should be a celebration of the action game and a happy place for Ninja Gaiden fans to geek out and discuss the awesome that they just unleashed has been reduced to discussing which sequel sequels in the series you did or did not like and how awful or passable the third game is.

I'd like to thank Team Ninja for ruining my Metroid, and now I'd like to thank them for ruining my Ninja Gaiden.

If you told me either of those events would occur a few years ago, I would have laughed at you.

Fuck.

Bracing myself for DmC now.

Bayonetta says no.

2 hasn't been announced yet and is at best a rumored at this point. DMC4 and NG2 came out in 2008. Who knows how DmC will be. NG3 at best is something different. There's Rising, maybe it will come out this year? The rest of the genre all tries to play off God of War. And whatever depth GoW has, its combat is just not the same as DMC/NGB

HYDE

Banned
Curse of the...DRAGON SWORD??!

Bayonetta is all we have left.
Unless GOW decides to up its game. 3 got better but still doesn't touch Bayo/NG/DMC

Uhm no, we got the real Ninja Gaiden 3 coming...Ninja Raiden.

Plus we got Devil's Third and whatever else Platinum's AAA Director is up to.

EDIT: Has anyone heard any rumors to what Kamiya is up to? Did we ever hear who the director is for Rising??

HYDE

Banned
Anybody else excited for the next BOMBA? It will be damn cheap to pick up this game in a couple of weeks, sweet!!

Like have more DLC weapons, but charge for them?

No, like go back to Ninja Gaiden Black's roots and make improvements from there. No DLC or multiplayer shenanigans. NGB is the pinnacle of the series, and IMO, one of the best action/hack and slash games ever made.

danmaku

For every overhyped & overrated games like Skyrim & Mass Effect 3, IGN comes through with a genuinely honest review like this.

To me it looks like they're desperate for hits, not "honest". Even if the game is crippled by senseless bullshit, at the core there's still the NG combat engine. How can the combat be "boring and shallow"??? I refuse to believe this.

HYDE

Banned
No, like go back to Ninja Gaiden Black's roots and make improvements from there. No DLC or multiplayer shenanigans. NGB is the pinnacle of the series, and IMO, one of the best action/hack and slash games ever made.

I understand that, I was just referring to what Hayashi seems to be capable of.
Why would I think DLC that I have to pay for, would be a good thing?

It was a joke obviously.

aegies

To me it looks like they're desperate for hits, not "honest". Even if the game is crippled by senseless bullshit, at the core there's still the NG combat engine. How can the combat be "boring and shallow"??? I refuse to believe this.

In many respects, the "new" Team Ninja has fundamentally fucked up the foundation of Ninja Gaiden's combat engine.

Example: there are a number of instances where spamming heavy attack is more effective than trying to cross enemies up with combos. Also, the combo meter is gone, but shuriken, which were only EVER good for keeping combos going (or killing bats) are still inexplicably present, and are still completely useless as an offensive option.

HYDE

Banned
It's sad that the new games are reminding me of the old NES/SNES ones.

The first two are awesome and the third one... not so much.

Foffy

Banned
Well...Kid Icarus is coming out this week too, right?

Oh man, if that's going to be bombed with bad reviews too, this may be one of the worst weeks for gaming in years. ):

It's sad that the new games are reminding me of the old NES/SNES ones.

The first two are awesome and the third one... not so much.

Not always true. Super Mario Bros 2 is weaker than Super Mario Bros 3, Simon's Quest is weaker than Dracula's Curse, and
Sonic 2 is weaker than Sonic 3 & Knuckles

HYDE

Banned
Not always true. Super Mario Bros 2 is weaker than Super Mario Bros 3, Simon's Quest is weaker than Dracula's Curse, and
Sonic 2 is weaker than Sonic 3 & Knuckles

I was referring to the NES/SNES Ninja Gaiden games not all of them in general.

But, sticking to your logic Zelda 2 is worse than Zelda 1/3 for sure.

Would have been nice if the ign reviewer had mentioned the difficulty he chose. Comparing the combat to Dynasty Warriors makes it sound like he played on hero mode.

And here's a review from Metro.uk 8/10

Brannon

I'd like to thank Team Ninja for ruining my Metroid, and now I'd like to thank them for ruining my Ninja Gaiden.

Whoa now, they do deserve bashing for NG3, but they really did try to bring it to the table in Metroid. But at every corner and up every asshole was Sakamoto, gone crazy with micromanagement. His whole mission was to tell a story, HIS story, and anything that got in the way of HIS story, including any sort of challenging gameplay, was denied.

Top Bottom