• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it's going to be the most polarizing game of 2012.

Um, are you familiar with IGN, and it's history at all?

Or wait, do you work there?

yeah, about the kind of response I'd expect. I don't give a shit about IGN's history because it has nothing to do with how good or bad Ninja Gaiden 3 is and more importantly, their reviews are written by lots of different people. I read the text of the review and judged that just like you all should be doing, if you didn't have your heads up your asses from years of console wars on neogaf. For a place that purports to be a higher rung above other video game discussion sites, a lot of you people consistently screw up even the most basic parts of being an intelligent reader...then that crap infects threads like a cancer and pretty soon, nobody is even reading the article, just posting the score. Because even on the intelligent video game discussion site, the score is still more important to the majority of you and that much is apparent in every review thread. You're not even referring to the reviewer by name, it's just "IGN" as if their reviews were written by manatee in a tank.

now post your umad.gif and move on.

zroid

Banned
No it isn't. God Hand was a new IP and a good game.

NG3 is part of an established IP with well defined mechanics and it is a shit game.

I was more referring to the sharp disparity between IGN's score and most other sites. I have no idea if it's a good game or not, haven't played it. Haven't even read the reviews :p It's slightly unusual since IGN rates games a bit on the higher side most times.

K' Dash

I noticed this, actually. I liked the extra content in the Sigma releases, and I knew they were made by a team that worked on top of a game that already had its meat and potatoes made.

Give that team that works on top of foundations to actually make the foundation and what you get is a very hollow Ninja Gaiden game focusing on all of the things people DON'T want with the series. This goes back to QTEs all over the place, L1/R1 usage for stuff a stick should be doing, a more emphasis on a cinematic experience over depth in gameplay, etc etc.

The words were on the wall when they first showed the game. ):

Extra content? IIRC Sigma had cut some parts of the game and Ayane chapter sucked balls IMO, didn't play Sigma 2 till the end tho, but they are easier, watered down ports that look a bit nicer that the original releases and are worst on EVERY aspect except graphics.

I will play NG3 at bomba price, Hayashi does not deserve my money.

raven777

just quick question. If preordered it on gamestop with overnight shipping, will I get it on Tuesday(the day it release) or wednesday?

Zeliard

I'm a firm believer that there is a middle-ground there somewhere. Something like Bayonetta's automatic mode. I get that some people want to feel like a badass and destroy everything as a super powered Ninja... and if you're trying to make the game accessible - by all means make it the default setting - I'd like to see Ninja Gaiden as a bigger franchise than it currently is.

However, some options would be nice. Make it so after a certain difficulty level you have to manage your health (via essence or pre-set checkpoints), upgrades aren't just handed to you as part of the story etc. It would be difficult no doubt, but certainly more worthwhile than a throw away multiplayer mode surely. I'm sure there were always going to be elements dumbed down or removed from NG to ensure it wasn't completely off-putting to newcomers... but it's obvious that it's gone a few steps too far. Accessibility was reached when health went auto regen, potions were removed and the difficulty was eased up. Removing weapons, adding QTE's, kunai climbing (and I'm led to believe, an on-rails bow section?) are all far more serious compromises or examples of shitty creativity than many of us expected.

Well Bayonetta did it perfectly because its automatic modes were basically bonus modes. They never encroached at all on the gameplay in Normal or higher. That's the only way to really do it, probably, and NGB did something similar with the pink ribbon mode (though obviously that wasn't quite like Bayonetta's easier modes). The problem with a game like NG3 is its method of accessibility has apparently affected the game as a whole; it isn't just relegated to the much easier modes in the way Bayonetta was.

Ultimately, I think certain games should quite frankly just be kept out of certain people's reach, because some people will just never be as good as they should to be to progress through these games. When you start lumping Ninja Gaiden in with other easier 3D action games, it just creates more of a homogeneous genre and there's no advancement and no diversity.

And I'm not even saying that like I'm some ultra badass at video games, and how dare you let these nublets affect it. I'm good at games like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta but there are plenty of genres I am laughably bad and/or highly inexperienced at. For example, shmups. I am terrible at a game like Ikaruga but would I ever want that game dumbed down in any sort of way so that people like me can not suck at it? Never.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hell yes. My favourite version of NG isn't Black but the original with HP and Intercept. Too awesome, I still have my old Xbox that I bought only to connect to Xbox Live once and download the HP just so I can play the game FOREVER. Of course the drive stopped reading discs in a few months so it doesn't work any more. Don't know what happens with DLC if you softmod an original Xbox so I just keep it as it is but at least I can still play it in theory :-/

Nothing happens to the DLC if you softmod. I know, as I have one.

Just make sure you leave a new game save for HP1 at the first save point otherwise you can't do a new HP1 run (obviously) since XBL is down.

Also I'm going to go on record and say that NG2 was SUPREMELY disappointing for me (and I pre-ordered it at Circuit City just for the Halo 3 Map Pack and loving NG1: Vanilla AND NG1: Black to death... never did get that map pack for free. :|) and that Sigma 2 fixed most of my issues (the main one being that block wasn't too useful in NG2. It was more "Ninja May Cry" than "Ninja Gaiden" IMO), bullshit new bosses and bullshit highest difficulty co-op (TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL GLITCH THE AI TO BEAT!) aside. So it isn't like NG3 can totally insult me, right? I mean rushed NG2 already did that.

Well Bayonetta did it perfectly because its automatic modes were basically bonus modes. They never encroached at all on the gameplay in Normal or higher. That's the only way to really do it, probably, and NGB did something similar with the pink ribbon mode (though obviously that wasn't quite like Bayonetta's easier modes). The problem with a game like NG3 is its method of accessibility has apparently affected the game as a whole; it isn't just relegated to the much easier modes in the way Bayonetta was.

Ultimately, I think certain games should quite frankly just be kept out of certain people's reach, because some people will just never be as good as they should to be to progress through these games. When you start lumping Ninja Gaiden in with other easier 3D action games, it just creates more of a homogeneous genre and there's no advancement and no diversity.

And I'm not even saying that like I'm some ultra badass at video games, and how dare you let these nublets affect it. I'm good at games like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta but there are plenty of genres I am laughably bad and/or highly inexperienced at. For example, shmups. I am terrible at a game like Ikaruga but would I ever want that game dumbed down in any sort of way so that people like me can not suck at it? Never.

Agree 100%.

If it really needed to be more accessible (and I'm not sure it needed to be, the game has a fairly well defined niche at this point), a Bayonetta style auto mode was plenty of assistance.

Nothing happens to the DLC if you softmod. I know, as I have one.

Just make sure you leave a new game save for HP1 at the first save point otherwise you can't do a new HP1 run (obviously) since XBL is down.

There has to be a way to get the hurricane packs ripped and hosted. Talk about content disappearing forever-- the HPs are like an endangered species.

TheSeks

There has to be a way to get the hurricane packs ripped and hosted. Talk about content disappearing forever-- the HPs are like an endangered species.

The HP had to start with the XBL menu. It wasn't exactly "DLC." ...Well, okay, it was... but it was locked behind a "paywall" so to speak and needed that paywall to activate.

I'm sure if someone modified the "title updates" that are the actual HP1/2's they could do it to where you could choose a new game and have HP1 be already there (maybe modify the gamecode to make it the default selection) but it's been years... I doubt most people are really wanting a (even Itagaki admits it) "game breaking" element when Black is out there.

How in the hell is this anywhere near similar to God Hand?

The God Hand review was the reviewer complaining about how hard the game is and factually lying about calling it a 'button masher'.

This.

People who are comparing this to the God Hand review are really desperate in trying to justify this game. ALL of the mainstream outlets are not going to review this properly and give the game it's due (harder difficulties, etc). I have to play it some time for myself when it bargain bins but from looking at some streams this game looks like a total bust.

Tain

except this whole part describes why the gameplay is bad:

He says that the enemies are harmless and nothing in Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, but where does he even address the difficulty levels? Why is "killing enemies in a locked arena and repeating" structurally a bad thing? He even calls it "archaic"! Ridiculous. And what is wrong with bosses regenerating body parts?

It's a lame, vague review. The game may suck, but I'm not going to take that guy's word for it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
What was the Intercept? I only played the greatness that was Black and didn't get the chance to try the original versions.

TheSeks

What was the Intercept? I only played the greatness that was Black and didn't get the chance to try the original versions.

On blocking an enemy if you pressed "X" on a block-flash lighting effect, you would counter-kill an enemy (in a fashion). It's kinda similar to the NG2 ability that is similar but more game-breaking because it allowed an attack instead of a counter and move.

Anteater

He says that the enemies are harmless and nothing in Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, but where does he even address the difficulty levels? Why is "killing enemies in a locked arena and repeating" structurally a bad thing? He even calls it "archaic"! Ridiculous. And what is wrong with bosses regenerating body parts?

It's a lame, vague review. The game may suck, but I'm not going to take that guy's word for it.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with scores and their opinions, but I'm curious to know if they've tried changing the difficulty settings since it seems to be a big issue for them along with the AIs, and that the game offers the ability for the player to change it anywhere. I wonder if the game still plays like poop at higher settings.

Outside of that and the targeting problem, it doesn't seem to be too indepth. I like reading lower score reviews as they usually list the most negative thing that could affect my enjoyment, but I feel that they should elaborate more.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
On blocking an enemy if you pressed "X" on a block-flash lighting effect, you would counter-kill an enemy (in a fashion). It's kinda similar to the NG2 ability that is similar but more game-breaking because it allowed an attack instead of a counter and move.

Thanks. I see why they took it out. lol. Seems real gdlk.

Varth

No it isn't. God Hand was a new IP and a good game.

NG3 is part of an established IP with well defined mechanics and it is a shit game.

A shit ninja gaiden? Probably. A shit game? Not really.

EDIT: oh, and give multiplayer a chance. It's pretty fun and hectic.

nHDR

Banned
Intercept was amazing, sucks that they took it out of Black. I'm still getting this game, just going to wait for a significant sale or price drop.

Cmagus

Haha at IGN my god they seem to be angry lately. Looking at some of their previous review scores they are handing out alot of "bad reviews".

Skilletor

Which begs the question: why aren't they in the game to begin with??

At least they're free.

Game is still dead to me.

That's a very good question, and I'd like to know the answer. I'll be interested to know if it's on disc or actual dlc. If it's on disc, I wonder why it's not just unlocked.

Kusagari

Are they just free to everyone and not with a code that came with new copies of the game or something?

Because if they're just free to everyone...it makes no sense to me why they're not just in the game to begin with.

I already had no faith in Hayashi judging by what I saw of his inputs for the NGS1/2. The guy might be a competent programmer on his day I dunno, but when it comes to what constitutes good overall game design and philosophy, the guy is just clueless imo. He has been living off the vision and legacy of Itagaki’s work big time. That much is evident by now.

But as much as I hate Hayashi’s design choices, the 3/10 IGN score is just unprofessional and comes across like some rabid fan rage imo. No way the game deserves such a pathetic score, regardless of how bad it compares to its predecessors. People ask what is Itagaki’s opinion of NG3? I’m quite sure he must be laughing hard right now if not weeping a little inside. The best thing going forwards right now in order to save the NG franchise is to have a vote of no confidence in Hayashi asap. TN is in dire need of some fresh ideas and new leadership to evolve the series rather than devolve it. No idea who that might be though, cos’ Itagaki has set the bar so high. What a sad day for NG fans :(

Skilletor

Itagaki hasn't been involved with a game worth a damn since NGB.

Edit: Wait, DoA2U came out after black.

Itagaki hasn't been involved with a game worth a damn since DoA2U.

Robot Pants

This. This is a huge philosophy that I think the videogame industry needs to embrace. Not everyone can be amazing at every genre. I'm good at a few different genres but not all, and I've accepted that. The ones I WANT to be good at, I put the work into. Where is the joy in just having it handed to you? Working at it and succeeding is just that more rewarding, and sadly the industry is just moving farther and farther away from that idea.
But I guess a lot of it stems from the way the industry is now. Games just need to SELL. Now more than ever.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Are they just free to everyone and not with a code that came with new copies of the game or something?

Because if they're just free to everyone...it makes no sense to me why they're not just in the game to begin with.

Perhaps it's free to first buyers via voucher code. Kinda like the online pass.

I agree 3 from IGN is low. I'd personally give it a 3.5.

The best thing about it is this new structure. It's super linear and you don't have to upgrade weapons with currency you can grind for. It's like an arcade game! Which explains why an incorrect person would call it "archaic". More like "arcadic". (raises eyebrow really high)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Itagaki hasn't been involved with a game worth a damn since NGB.

Edit: Wait, DoA2U came out after black.

Itagaki hasn't been involved with a game worth a damn since DoA2U.

I liked Ninja Gaiden 2

Skilletor

I liked Ninja Gaiden 2

I didn't, but the battle system was great. Too bad it was surrounded by all the other stuff.

i hate most of NG2, so I don't know where I fall here.

Same.

I'm not saying NG3 will be better than 2 (I know it won't), just that NG2 was a disappointment and people like to give Itagaki a bye because of the drama. I don't care about all of that. I care about the game I played.

Oh, I lied earlier when I said NG2 was the biggest disappointment this generation. That would be DoA4.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought NG2 was a lot of fun. It was also my first Ninja Gaiden experience.

Either way, this new one sounds ridiculously bad.

Top Bottom