• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

I never played any of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games, but if IGN's review is accurate, then I'll defininetly pass on picking up Ninja Gaiden 3 as a Wii U launch title.

Actually, if NGBlack, Sigma, and Sigma2 are any indication, the Wii U version of NG3 might actually make some big changes and end up being the best version.

With the extra horsepower (assuming it's better than the PS3/ 360) I'm planning on picking up multi-plats on Wii U this fall (AC3, NG3).

*fingers crossed*

dreamfall

I have this game on overnight shipping, but it hasn't shipped yet!

I want to get it by tomorrow..

Same here- Gamestop, unfortunately for me. These reviews are kind of what I expected. I've definitely played Ninja Gaiden S1 & 2 repeatedly, because I didn't have a Xbox/360 at the time. To hear that they've made the game easier, and have alienated hardcore fans is disappointing. (To be fair, I've never been one who loved Mastering multiple difficulty levels. I played on Normal, and loved experimenting/upgrading all the awesome weapons. Free DLC better be day one...) But I think Hayashi's goals were to make it more accessible, and simplify it. This resulted in transforming the franchise's identity and maybe destroying what most loved about NG in the first place. I'm not going to take anyone's word for it- hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, and I'll start blitzing through it.

When Itagaki took off, that sinking feeling set in. As a Sony player, I knew I was getting tweaked games that already had been touched up or changed- but the vision primarily remained the same. With a new director, I think everyone was more than wary of how it would turn out. I'm still excited to play it, shitty QTEs and all (But I'm also pretty sure I'm really getting this just for the DOA 5 demo ...!).

:/

I was hoping the QT events all over the demo weren't an indication of how the whole game would be. That sucks.

Nope, they were in a lot of the hands-on previews of other portions too and sprinkled obnoxiously in the combat with those utterly stupid zoom-ins when you finish off an enemy.

Team Ninja fucked this game up. The guy doesn't understand the Ninja Gaiden series or its fans. Features like the extra weapons, which is one the series main highlights, should've been there in the first place and not added as DLC, free or not free.

They should've improved on the AI, thinking of new ways on how to make enemies smarter and more viscous to challenge players, and give the players more tools to take them out.

One thing I don't get from IGN's review is the difficulty. In a lot of previews, Hayashi was getting his ass kicked pretty good on the desert portion and on an on-stage demo.

CamHostage

I would love a return to Jacquio and demon statues.

I realize it'd be hard to get that precise platforming to work in 3D, but I think it's time for a Ninja Gaiden gaiden. We had the old NES style, now we've had the Idagaki style for a while, it'd be cool if they revisited the old style or tried a different style (ala the NDS game) to explore the franchise.

Skilletor

I realize it'd be hard to get that precise platforming to work in 3D, but I think it's time for a Ninja Gaiden gaiden. We had the old NES style, now we've had the Idagaki style for a while, it'd be cool if they revisited the old style or tried a different style (ala the NDS game) to explore the franchise.

I was really hoping we'd see some remakes similar to bionic commando rearmed with the original trilogy. I would spend a lot of money on that.

Also, random and off topic, but why were the original trilogy removed from the Sigma games?

That dinosaur is not very clever even by dinosaur standards.

I laughed harder than I should admit at this.

Ooccoo

Reviews:
Metro GameCentral 8/10
MSXB 8/10
Official Xbox Magazine 8/10
CVG 8/10

Gamereactor Sweden 7/10
OPM UK 7/10
meristation - 7/10
3DJuegos 7.5
Jeuxvideo.com (FR) : 12/20
Play UK 63%
VideoGamer 5/10
IGN 3.0

Easy to say who sucked cock and who didn't.

SkylineRKR

LOL, what the fuck is with that T-Rex?

He does some sort of jolly retarded jump and then smashes his head into the ground or something?

I have to say it looks really funny.

Brannon

That was quite possibly one of the greatest boss battles i have ever seen.

And by greatest i mean one of the most hilariously bad boss battles, which makes me want this game EVEN more.

What was that shit.

WHAT WAS THAT SHIT.

You know, I think back to that nuclear armadillo boss in NG2, and it looked silly as all hell, but it put up a great fight, not to mention TWO of them. Now we have here a motherfucking cybernetic T-Rex. This thing should be fucking awesome! But no.

No.

Look at this boss fight. Look at it, and despair.

TreIII

I was really hoping we'd see some remakes similar to bionic commando rearmed with the original trilogy. I would spend a lot of money on that.

Agreed so much on this. If there's one thing I really hope for from this new team (besides an excellent DOA game), it's that they'll go back and mine the original Ninja Ryukenden series for ideas. It's still a distinct style of play in its own right that could certainly co-exist with future 3D games.

Jubern

For those interested, the review basically explain point by point how simplified the game was, making Ninja Gaiden a mere shadow of itself. One weapon, one ninpo, invulnerable during combos, automated combos and a terrible, terrible story.

It says the game doesn't really sucks from a general standpoint, but is simply extremely bland, sending the series to its grave.

SkylineRKR

The ironic thing is that Tecmo obviously wanted to cater a wider audience with their new vision, seeing Sigma 2's toned down initial difficulty, online multiplayer et al.

But so far I see the sales and ratings get worse with every installment and this game will likely bomb on all accounts, indeed sending the series to its grave instead.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Izick

Looks like a game with an identity crisis. Itagaki must have had a lot more direction in 2 than I expected, because while 2 was certainly flawed, it wasn't the mess that this is looking to be.

I'm not. I stated a few reasons why I believed NGS2 better. You then told me NGS2 was still a turd. Something I disagree with. Seemed like you were telling me my opinion is wrong.

Last time I checked I never said your opinion was wrong and said that I disagreed with you. Yes I said the game is turd when compared to NG2 and never made mention your opinion was wrong. Also I've said why I think the game is a turd many of times in other topics and don't feel like listing them again, for the simple fact that this isn't a NG2 vs NGS2 topic. Next time don't state your opinion as facts.

Ninja Dom

So it looks like it's up to the Wii U version or wait for Itagaki's Devils Third to redeem this awful looking situation.

BTW, does anybody know if Devil's Third has Ninja's in it??

The ironic thing is that Tecmo obviously wanted to cater a wider audience with their new vision, seeing Sigma 2's toned down initial difficulty, online multiplayer et al.

But so far I see the sales and ratings get worse with every installment and this game will likely bomb on all accounts, indeed sending the series to its grave instead.

i agree and i'm hoping that they'll get another chance, which they use by consulting fans of Ninja Gaiden. A great sequel to NG1 is waiting to happen...hell, even a by-the-numbers follow up with just slight tweaks to the battle system and a new scenario would be nice at this point.

ss_lemonade

All the close up kills really help to emphasize the lack of dismemberment. :(
Exactly. This would have been a good way to at least showcase dismemberment but nooo. Lets zoom up close and show your sword going through your opponents in slow motion without leaving a wound

benzy

I actually want to play this game now after the review scores, just to see for myself the crappy changes made to the combat engine.

So it looks like it's up to the Wii U version or wait for Itagaki's Devils Third to redeem this awful looking situation.

BTW, does anybody know if Devil's Third has Ninja's in it??

They haven't shown all the characters but there are katanas in the game, in addition to martial arts, guns, and other weapons.

Top Bottom