• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Has aegies posted his review yet?

Based on his posts in the thread, his was the one I wanted to read before deciding to pick it up or not

ryan13ts

I read a review on this game and it was stated the only weapon in the game is the Dragon Sword? Is this true? If so, that's a total purchase killer for me. Part of what made the other games so great was the weapon varity... I can't understand who would fucking thought it would be a good idea to offer only one weapon for the player.

Carbonox

I've never played through the first game though I still intend to pick up Sigma at some point as it's on the cheap.

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 2 either (don't have an Xbox or 360) but I did buy Sigma 2. As it was my first Ninja Gaiden game and I played the shit out of it (and it's also made me a "fan" of the series, though that's hard to gauge considering it's all I've played), I actually regard it as the second best hack-n-slash action game of the generation behind Bayonetta.

Loudninja

I read a review on this game and it was stated the only weapon in the game is the Dragon Sword? Is this true? If so, that's a total purchase killer for me. Part of what made the other games so great was the weapon varity... I can't understand who would fucking thought it would be a good idea to offer only one weapon for the player.
Its not only one weapon its one type of weapon, the game has a bow as well.

2 weapons are coming as free DLC.

jorgeton

The best thing about it is this new structure. It's super linear and you don't have to upgrade weapons with currency you can grind for. It's like an arcade game! Which explains why an incorrect person would call it "archaic". More like "arcadic". (raises eyebrow really high)

This makes me sad. I was hoping they'd go the NG1 route of more exploration, RPG elements. NG1 reminded me of a toned down Zelda, with great combat.

Instead they go the complete opposite route.

bittertears.gif

Robot Pants

You get 3 total. All swords, and you only have 1 at your disposal at any given time.
Basically Dragon Sword 97% of the game, a few levels you will have 2 different ones.
And yea, Scythe and Claws are free DLC. Ultimate Ninja difficulty is as well.

when I was a youngun all we had were swords and throwin stars, you whippersnappers are too spoiled with your scythes and staffs and shit.

ironcreed

Banned
when I was a youngun all we had were swords and throwin stars, you whippersnappers are too spoiled with your scythes and staffs and shit.

I'm 35, and still would rather have the weapon variety and move-sets of the previous two games, as opposed to what we had in the originals on the NES.

He says that the enemies are harmless and nothing in Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, but where does he even address the difficulty levels? Why is "killing enemies in a locked arena and repeating" structurally a bad thing? He even calls it "archaic"! Ridiculous. And what is wrong with bosses regenerating body parts?

It's a lame, vague review. The game may suck, but I'm not going to take that guy's word for it.

if the enemies are harmless, I'm assuming that means the game is easier. Killing easy enemies in a locked arena and repeating would be pretty damn boring. I'd rather have 5 bad ass enemies, than 20 pieces of fodder.

It's archaic because NG1/Black/Sigma 1 have a pretty forward thinking open world structure. A lot of it is easy Resident Evil style puzzles and questionable platforming, but the first few times through the game, it provides for a lot of exploration (particularly since the rewards for golden scarabs are awesome.) There's even a Dark Souls-like feeling of being scared of getting your ass kicked by a random pack of black spider ninjas before you learn how to deal with them.

It wasn't a perfect adventure game, since a lot of the puzzles are throw away and some of the platform can still be troublesome, but it takes you through a lot of locales against a lot of enemies. At the end of the game, almost all of it is open and you can revisit areas to get scarabs and items before the final part, grind for essence.

It's like a 3D metroidvania-- sure, i know where everything is like the back of my hand, but it keeps me engaged. Then NG2 is just hitting the analog stick forward through a bunch of corridors. Each level is a different locale, but it's all the same damn hallway. Finding an item or weapon is like taking a pit stop on a marathon, rather than a discovery. The action has potential, but the game structure should be scrapped, imo. I think it's even more apparent in NGS2...at least NG2 mobbed you every step of the way.

A true NG1 sequel to me would have the open world and rpg elements improved, along with improving the combat (either from the NG1 style or NG2 style balanced to get rid of projectile spam.) It sounds like NG3 is still linear, but broken up with an excessive amount of cut scenes and stops for overly long fights. That sounds like a hell designed for me.

ironcreed

Banned
I would too. I was obviously joking, at least somewhat. I don't think it's a "game-killer" for me though.

Oh, I still intend to rent it and see for myself. While I'm not expecting it to be on par with what the series is known for, I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for being a fun game for what it is. I certainly don't think it will be 3/10 bad for me.

HYDE

Banned
Looks like Ninja Gaiden fans finally have their DMC2.

I wonder if more of a DmC though, well time will tell.

Skilletor

I wouldn't even compare the two series. They obviously have very different focus.

Getting rid of weapons in NG3 is a big wtf?

HYDE

Banned
I wouldn't even compare the two series. They obviously have very different focus.

Getting rid of weapons in NG3 is a big wtf?

I'm not, I'm talking in regards to their black sheeps.

And at the other guy, Ninja Gaiden 2 is awesome, quit trolling.

ironcreed

Banned
Seriously, for me to give something a 3/10, it would have to be darn near broken and just a complete and utter mess to play in general. For example, something along the lines of X-Blades. While I think it was obvious from the get-go that this was going to be quite a departure from what the series was, I in no way think it is X-Blades level of bad. I mean, come on.

I feel there should be a thread for people who are actually interested in this game as opposed to just bashing it.

In the end, I'm sure Master Ninja and Ultimate ninja modes will be hard enough.
The gameplay will still be fun because it's NG.
People seem to forget that there are mission mode and online, which add a lot of replay and value to the game.
Also having a story that doesn't cater towards 10 year olds will be a plus.

Most of you will play and enjoy this game anyway, despite all your bitching.

Skilletor

Amazing how Hayashi made the DOA series better than ever, and NG....eh. Maybe he should stick with fighting games :p

Things are looking good for DoA, but I'll wait for the final product to say he made it better than ever.

I'm not, I'm talking in regards to their black sheeps.

And at the other guy, Ninja Gaiden 2 is awesome, quit trolling.

I meant OG NG and new NG.

And NG2 was a mess of a game. Not trolling.

danmaku

I feel there should be a thread for people who are actually interested in this game as opposed to just bashing it.

In the end, I'm sure Master Ninja and Ultimate ninja modes will be hard enough.
The gameplay will still be fun because it's NG.
People seem to forget that there are mission mode and online, which add a lot of replay and value to the game.
Also having a story that doesn't cater towards 10 year olds will be a plus.

Most of you will play and enjoy this game anyway, despite all your bitching.

Every review said that the story was crap. And game reviewers usually don't have very high standards when it comes to stories. I'd like to know more about multiplayer too. No one played it yet, right?

Hiltz

I never played any of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games, but if IGN's review is accurate, then I'll defininetly pass on picking up Ninja Gaiden 3 as a Wii U launch title.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm no DOA player but 5 looks really bad to me.

I don't like the new look. I know hur hur love dolls. but I prefer the old look over realism for a similar reason to why I like VF5 clay people and would hate for them to go in the same direction in their next game. The classic aesthetics are what I picture when I think "3D Arcade Fighter"

and the environment stuff looks really stupid. Like Steel on Bone intrusive mechanic stupid.

Don't want to derail the thread but since people are talking about it....

It just always surprised me how well received the cinematic focus of that series has been, considering how NG3 was received early on for doing the same thing

if the enemies are harmless, I'm assuming that means the game is easier.

Read like hyperbole to me. Especially after hearing some people talk about Hard mode in this thread.

as in all the other ng threads: people who have never cleared master ninja and ultimate online in sigma 2 have no business calling that game easy. game is hard as balls and the biggest ninja gaiden yet, content-wise. it's also an exceptional game.

He says that the enemies are harmless and nothing in Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, but where does he even address the difficulty levels? Why is "killing enemies in a locked arena and repeating" structurally a bad thing? He even calls it "archaic"! Ridiculous. And what is wrong with bosses regenerating body parts?

It's a lame, vague review. The game may suck, but I'm not going to take that guy's word for it.

you make too much sense.

Not sure what to make of all this...

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favourite games of all time, but I didn't get into NG2 at all.

I quite liked what I saw from all the NG3 trailers, but now I've checked out longer videos of actual gameplay and it just looks chaotic. I want to believe... but blatantly waiting for 75% off in summer sales...

TreIII

DOA5 director is Yohei Shimbori, he was part of Team NINJA Kunoichi (DOA2U, DOAX, DOAX2, DOA4).

Yep. So in short, whatever happens with DOA5 will fall largely on Shimbori's head. At least, assuming Hayashi doesn't pull an "Itagaki" and magically decide to go over Shimbori's head to make some last minute design changes to the game... :lol

I'm surprised people are so welcoming of the more cinematic direction shift of that series and not this one.

It's not so much the "cinematic direction", and more along the lines of how DOA5 is actually shaping up to be what could be an actually competent fighting game, which is saying something, coming from DOA4.

K' Dash

Every review said that the story was crap. And game reviewers usually don't have very high standards when it comes to stories. I'd like to know more about multiplayer too. No one played it yet, right?

Crap story is a series staple, I just want a blood bath and limbs and heads flying every-fucking-where while looking like the most fucking badass ninja fucking ever.

Skilletor

I'm no DOA player but 5 looks really bad to me.

I don't like the new look. I know hur hur love dolls. but I prefer the old look over realism for a similar reason to why I like VF5 clay people and would hate for them to go in the same direction in their next game. The classic aesthetics are what I picture when I think "3D Arcade Fighter"

and the environment stuff looks really stupid. Like Steel on Bone intrusive mechanic stupid.

Don't want to derail the thread but since people are talking about it....

It just always surprised me how well received the cinematic focus of that series has been, considering how NG3 was received early on for doing the same thing

The environment stuff has always existed in DoA. I'll be worried if powerblows end up being really easy to land.

The rest is opinions. The stream last night made me think DoA5 will be the most impressive looking fighting game this gen.

MCD

Crap story is a series staple, I just want a blood bath and limbs and heads flying every-fucking-where while looking like the most fucking badass ninja fucking ever.

NG1 and 2 stories were indeed crap but, they never got in the player's way.

Robot Pants

NG1 and 2 stories were indeed crap but, they never got in the player's way.

Totally. That's what I loved about NG2. The story was basically, "Monsters are taking over the world. KILL EVERYTHING."
And that's all you need for these games. Would I opposed to having a good (it'd have to be pretty great) narrative for it? Absolutely not. But if choosing to have a story included that gets in the way and strips essential gameplay elements down to a bare minimum to get a "theme" across, then I pass.
That is my dilemma with NG3.
And I'm out of this thread.

Teknoman

Totally. That's what I loved about NG2. The story was basically, "Monsters are taking over the world. KILL EVERYTHING."
And that's all you need for these games. Would I opposed to having a good (it'd have to be pretty great) narrative for it? Absolutely not. But if choosing to have a story included that gets in the way and strips essential gameplay elements down to a bare minimum to get a "theme" across, then I pass.
That is my dilemma with NG3.
And I'm out of this thread.

Personally I think it would have been better with gameplay similar to NG1 and 2, but story similar to the NES entries, complete with random ancient demons from the amazon, FBI agents and whatnot. The stories werent great, but were nice to have.

NG3 looked to be similar to that, and then they apparently botched up the gameplay? I'm definitely going to have to rent this.

Skilletor

Well maybe you should stop pushing your opinion as a fact.

Facts, how do they work?

I'm not. I stated a few reasons why I believed NGS2 better. You then told me NGS2 was still a turd. Something I disagree with. Seemed like you were telling me my opinion is wrong.

Reminds me of another poster from the Naruto thread.

Personally I think it would have been better with gameplay similar to NG1 and 2, but story similar to the NES entries, complete with random ancient demons from the amazon, FBI agents and whatnot. The stories werent great, but were nice to have.

NG3 looked to be similar to that, and then they apparently botched up the gameplay? I'm definitely going to have to rent this.

I would love a return to Jacquio and demon statues.

Tain

Yeah, I don't have any problem with scores and their opinions, but I'm curious to know if they've tried changing the difficulty settings since it seems to be a big issue for them along with the AIs, and that the game offers the ability for the player to change it anywhere.

Wait, I never heard of this. Does the game allow the player to change the difficulty level at any time? That would imply that the game uses the same enemy sets for all difficulties, which would be a total dealbreaker for me.

Or can the player just change difficulty levels between deaths or when loading the game?

I'm absolutely desperate for some detail on how varied these difficulty levels are, lol.

Robot Pants

Wait, I never heard of this. Does the game allow the player to change the difficulty level at any time? That would imply that the game uses the same enemy sets for all difficulties, which would be a total dealbreaker for me.

Or can the player just change difficulty levels between deaths or when loading the game?

I'm absolutely desperate for some detail on how varied these difficulty levels are, lol.

Of the reviews that mention this, they say you can change it at any time.
But then I hear if you play on hard, you immediately get different enemies on the first level.

edit: oh but the answer is anytime. I remember when I watched the whole game on youtube, there was an option in the pause menu that says ,'change difficulty"
edit2: my mistake. It says, "change playstyle". I'm guessing its the same thing but I dont know for sure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUhSkaApaYE&feature=related&t=11m48s (11:48)
Description says "Change playstyle and restart from last checkpoint." So it seems its essentially the same as starting a new game on a higher difficulty, you just don't have to start all the way over.

raven777

I heard from somewhere that you can actually lower the difficulty during the checkpoints, but you cannot make it higher.

Anteater

Yeah it's anywhere, I don't know about enemy placements, can't really tell because they're all white ninjas with identical weapons in the video I saw :lol (they did keep the rocket launchers too), but it does spawn you back to the checkpoint

Hayashi played on hard and lowered it in this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp2trj_ninja-gaiden-3-presentation-part-2_videogames

Loudninja

Reviews:
Metro GameCentral 8/10
MSXB 8/10
Official Xbox Magazine 8/10
CVG 8/10
Gamereactor Sweden 7/10
OPM UK 7/10
meristation - 7/10
3DJuegos 7.5
Jeuxvideo.com (FR) : 12/20
Play UK 63%