• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

I actually like the focus on trying to make the story be more relevant this time but I feel the extremely zoomed in finishers are what hurt the gameplay. NG2 zoomed in but you could still see what was happening around you the majority of the time.

The talking A.I may be annoying for some players or hilariously awesome. I didn't mind it but I see a lot of people hating the constant banter. A solid first attempt at a new title for a new dev I think. This is their first truly new title with all original content.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, is the DOA4 demo code packaged in with the game, or will they place it on the receipt at retail locations?

I had the CE pre-ordered, but the more I hear, the more I don't want to support the title right off the bat. It honestly doesn't seem like it's worth full price. I'm a pretty hardcore NG fan. I'll probably pick it up at the first or second price drop, though.

ultim8p00

Banned
I remember posters who kept saying how Hayashi was going to be the best thing to happen to Ninja Gaiden since he made the Sigma games, and how NG fans are just a bunch of butthurt Itagaki fans. See what the fuck we were talking about now?

The thing they never understood was that the Sigma games were merely polished versions of Itagaki's games. Sort of like an artist making his masterpiece and forgetting to clean it up, and then some random schmo gets the credit for simply passing a brush through it.

Ever since Sigma and especially after Sigma 2, I always knew that Hayashi had no fucking idea what made a Ninja Gaiden game.

I actually like the focus on trying to make the story be more relevant this time but I feel the extremely zoomed in finishers are what hurt the gameplay. NG2 zoomed in but you could still see what was happening around you the majority of the time.

The talking A.I may be annoying for some players or hilariously awesome. I didn't mind it but I see a lot of people hating the constant banter. A solid first attempt at a new title for a new dev I think. This is their first truly new title with all original content.

Not at all. They have had plenty of experience with Ninja Gaiden.

Even if you ignore the Sigma games, I find it hard to believe a development team could have moved further from the template that NG1, NGB and NG2 left to build on. It's anything but a solid attempt. If they had essentially made NG2 again with some extra moves and new story/levels - I'd have given them credit for a good attempt. But stripping away core components and adding some shitty and/or lazy elements, is a sign of a developer who wanted to create something different. Which is fine... but don't call it Ninja Gaiden.

*stare*

Well that's a way of looking at it I guess

Lol I try to take things in a positive light always. But as a fan of the series I am still heavily disappointed. It's just a lot better than I thought it would be after the initial reveal. QTE's deserve no place in this title :'(

Not at all. They have had plenty of experience with Ninja Gaiden.

Even if you ignore the Sigma games, I find it hard to believe a development team could have moved further from the template that NG1, NGB and NG2 left to build on. It's anything but a solid attempt. If they had essentially made NG2 again with some extra moves and new story/levels - I'd have given them credit for a good attempt. But stripping away core components and adding some shitty and/or lazy elements, is a sign of a developer who wanted to create something different. Which is fine... but don't call it Ninja Gaiden.

I totally get what you mean. I still stand by my opinion that it's a solid first game for them. But it's really more like Splinter Cell Conviction. A title that abused the legacy of a franchise by using it's name and changing everything great about it. Splinter Cell Conviction was at least a great game on it's own merits. NG3 is just a decent action game by comparison.

Sheikh

Banned
IGN dropped the ball on this one? I usually follow IGN when it comes to reviews but this one is just horrendous

ultim8p00

Banned
IGN dropped the ball on this one? I usually follow IGN when it comes to reviews but this one is just horrendous

Wtf how does this make any sense? So you follow IGN when it comes to reviews, but you now hate them because they reviewed a game in a way you didn't like? 3/10 might be a bit extreme, but everything they say in their review is correct, and is something I can personally attest to. The overall game is a trainwreck, with some good stuff here and there. I'd give it a 5/10 which is really only 2 points away from IGN's score.

I remember posters who kept saying how Hayashi was going to be the best thing to happen to Ninja Gaiden since he made the Sigma games, and how NG fans are just a bunch of butthurt Itagaki fans. See what the fuck we were talking about now?

The thing they never understood was that the Sigma games were merely polished versions of Itagaki's games. Sort of like an artist making his masterpiece and forgetting to clean it up, and then some random schmo gets the credit for simply passing a brush through it.

Ever since Sigma and especially after Sigma 2, I always knew that Hayashi had no fucking idea what made a Ninja Gaiden game.

The Sigma games are not even polished or even close to unequivocally improved. The vita game runs at 30fps lol

I think the problem is that NGBlack was perfection and one of the best games of all time. They start changing and taking away things and it becomes average-- good enough to please a certain crowd, not good enough to please people who wanted sequels to NGBlack. So you get this mix of people who say "it's still good...just a few less weapons/just a little easier/just a few more cinematics/just a few little loading times etc." and other people who have higher standards for the series.

Some people could see that NGS2 was practically a hack that puts NG1 style encounters into the NG2 engine and the problems this created (a practically empty game.) Other people loved the girl character fan service, easier difficulty, and higher resolution (accomplished by cutting out half the game.) I'm of the mind that both NG2 games are unsatisfactory.

I always said I felt like I could play Ninja Gaiden Black for the rest of my life and not get bored. Guess I'll be testing that theory out!

I totally get what you mean. I still stand by my opinion that it's a solid first game for them. But it's really more like Splinter Cell Conviction. A title that abused the legacy of a franchise by using it's name and changing everything great about it. Splinter Cell Conviction was at least a great game on it's own merits. NG3 is just a decent action game by comparison.

I see your point.

I don't think Hayashi needs to stop making games or Ninja Gaiden entirely, I've said earlier that I think NG3 will be fun. I just think his development team need to sit down and ignore what they did with Sigma games, what they did with NG3, and look at NG1/2 for a good indication of what to create. QTE's are little more than a short cut to try and keep the player involved. The developer wants to do some over the top sequence, but the game controls/rules just don't allow for it to happen as imagined, so they add some button prompts to keep you engaged in a regular cutscene. All of that is fine, particularly in games like GoW... but it never belonged in Ninja Gaiden... and somehow the team incharge of Ninja Gaiden sat down around a table and came up with some ideas and said 'lets add QTE's' - which significantly undermines my opinion on their creative talent.

I'm looking forward to NG3 as much as I was a few weeks ago - I'll pick up the CE day one, play through it on the harder difficulties and achievement-whore the shit out of it - if for no other reason than the fact that there is nothing to really look forward to in the genre for months, and I would like to see a Ninja Gaiden 4. I just really think Hayashi needs to get involved with the Ninja Gaiden community/fan-base, take a serious look into the fundamentals of NGB/NG2, and then find a way to make the games accessible while offering the option to play the Ninja Gaiden many of us were hoping to get.

Sheikh

Banned
Wtf how does this make any sense? So you follow IGN when it comes to reviews, but you now hate them because they reviewed a game in a way you didn't like? 3/10 might be a bit extreme, but everything they say in their review is correct, and is something I can personally attest to. The overall game is a trainwreck, with some good stuff here and there. I'd give it a 5/10 which is really only 2 points away from IGN's score.

and how do you know all this? You played the full game? There are countless of other reviewers who gave it 7/8 . This is not a NG material but in a sense a 7/8 game + plus the game has lot of content too. I trust IGN since their reviews are mostly in line with my expectations after playing a game,but this one doesnt make sense

People actually debating an IGN score...

People actually using IGN as a credible source...

World's biggest gaming site and their reviews are usually very much indicative of the game eg UC3 /Zelda . But thats my opinion of course

To be fair, that is the rating I would have given Ninja Gaiden 2. Team Ninja just lost it after Black. Even if the game-play was up to snuff, Ninja Gaiden 2s story was somehow more embarassing and eye rolling than the first, not that anyone plays NG for riveting narrative, but NG2 was in insult to everyone even in the gameplay department, although it really was rushed game.

Wait, wait, wait

There are STILL people parading that IGN score like it means something?

Jesus

EpNfr.png

raven777

Well, I guess I have to think that I spend $100 on DOA5 demo...

But despite the review, I actually feel I might enjoy this game.

Foffy

Banned

I noticed this, actually. I liked the extra content in the Sigma releases, and I knew they were made by a team that worked on top of a game that already had its meat and potatoes made.

Give that team that works on top of foundations to actually make the foundation and what you get is a very hollow Ninja Gaiden game focusing on all of the things people DON'T want with the series. This goes back to QTEs all over the place, L1/R1 usage for stuff a stick should be doing, a more emphasis on a cinematic experience over depth in gameplay, etc etc.

The words were on the wall when they first showed the game. ):

Loudninja

Reviews so far:
Metro GameCentral 8/10
MSXB 8/10
Official Xbox Magazine 8/10
CVG 8/10
Gamereactor Sweden 7/10
VideoGamer 5/10
IGN 3.0

ironcreed

Banned
Reviews never matter to me. They seem to matter to other people when it suits their preconceived notion of what score a game should get.

Opinions, how do they work?

Reviews do not reflect what I play either. Had I always went strictly by reviews, I would have missed out on a ton of great games. However, I do find that reviews can help you set your expectations just in case you happen to come out agreeing.

In the case of this game, I think the vast majority of us could see that something was off. I was already expecting this to be skidmark across what the series is known for, and comments like this reinforce my worst fears:

"Nothing about Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, or even challenging enough to be amusing. Enemies here are harmless. More often than not, the soldiers, ninja, or monsters pop out simply to wait to die. Ninja Gaiden compensates for this with a disarming quantity of guys to kill, which is a cheap cop-out that emphasizes its creative vacancy. Repetition sinks in early, hits hard, and doesn't let up. In addition, the erratic and unreliable targeting means missing marks more often than is acceptable for a franchise revered for precision. In another questionable step backward, Ryu sticks with just one weapon for the entire game."

"Ninja Gaiden 3 is a gash on the face of the franchise and one of the worst games the action genre has yet suffered. It has no consideration for its fans’ wants or what a new audience may have enjoyed. It’s a nightmare that’s as easy as it is uninteresting, and it abandons what used to work for awful new ideas that don’t work together. Under no circumstance should you ever waste your time on this self-indulgent and abysmal wreck."

Now, I of course still intend to play it for myself (thank god for Gamefly), but will be going in with with full knowledge that things are just not going to be the same. Who knows, I may end up enjoying it somewhat for what it is? But as far as being called Ninja Gaiden goes, I was already prepared for disappointment on some level. However, I will say that I do not expect it to be 3/10 bad for me, despite how much of a betrayal it may be.

Zeliard

I see your point.

I don't think Hayashi needs to stop making games or Ninja Gaiden entirely, I've said earlier that I think NG3 will be fun. I just think his development team need to sit down and ignore what they did with Sigma games, what they did with NG3, and look at NG1/2 for a good indication of what to create. QTE's are little more than a short cut to try and keep the player involved. The developer wants to do some over the top sequence, but the game controls/rules just don't allow for it to happen as imagined, so they add some button prompts to keep you engaged in a regular cutscene. All of that is fine, particularly in games like GoW... but it never belonged in Ninja Gaiden... and somehow the team incharge of Ninja Gaiden sat down around a table and came up with some ideas and said 'lets add QTE's' - which significantly undermines my opinion on their creative talent.

I'm looking forward to NG3 as much as I was a few weeks ago - I'll pick up the CE day one, play through it on the harder difficulties and achievement-whore the shit out of it - if for no other reason than the fact that there is nothing to really look forward to in the genre for months, and I would like to see a Ninja Gaiden 4. I just really think Hayashi needs to get involved with the Ninja Gaiden community/fan-base, take a serious look into the fundamentals of NGB/NG2, and then find a way to make the games accessible while offering the option to play the Ninja Gaiden many of us were hoping to get.

The problem is that they can't really have their cake and eat it too. If the goal from the onset of development is greater accessibility, then quite naturally there will be several aspects of NG that'll be compromised.

They have to be compromised, because games like Ninja Gaiden Black are distinctly non-accessible. And that isn't because Itagaki was sending out a big "fuck you" to everyone; it's because he respected the notion that player ability should be a significant part of the gameplay, whether that comes through some sort of natural affinity for these games, lots of practice and getting accustomed to the game's controls and enemies, or in most cases both.

NGB and to a lesser extent NG2 made you work for it, and that's where the great sense of achievement came from (Demon's/Dark Souls follow a very similar concept and they are cherished by many for doing so). The very first boss of NG/NGB is notorious for being a huge barrier for many people that they simply never get over. As soon as you try to cut down on that sort of stuff in the name of accessibility, you lose what makes the NG games special.

Kunai

IGN review...

bc183a124b0400b89e99cc93e655e6c7792c8593.gif

I don't think that Itagaki is laughing at all, after all the first game took almost 6 years, 3 hardwares (Naomi/DC, PS2 and Xbox), some serious effort from allot of people to resurrect an old franchise and what an resurrection it was, the game set the bar to all action games, deep combat system, challenging enemies, amazing graphics and probably the best free DLC ever made (Hurricane Pack). When you look at the details, like the move set for each weapon, the animation, the AI, the crazy stuff that each enemy do, how they would circle you waiting you the make a mistake to just fuck kill you.

I know that some people didn’t like NG2, and as gamers it doesn’t matter if the developer is having problems with the parent company, what really matters is the final product, the game, and while NG2 had many flaws, the core gameplay was amazing, the combat system was more brutal, the enemies more aggressive, it didn’t matter if they were missing a arm, a leg, they kept fighting, their mission was to not let you live, “if I’m gonna die I’ll make sure that you come with me”, shit you even had enemies that would throw at you body parts just to fuck kill you and even the final chapters were crazier than the final stages in Black. Of course we cannot forget the problems: low resolution, unstable frame rate, unbalanced difficult.

So….If I were Itagaki/Mitsui/Ehara right now I would be pissed, those guys left a blue print to Team NINJA, how to make an great game, with the rights from NG/NG Black/2 and the wrongs from NG2, they had all the tools to make a better game and in the end they decided that the best solution was to throw the core of NG in the garbage and well… that sure is not a good thing to see, all your hard work, all the effort you and your teammates made to build a amazing franchise simple throwed away.

Anyway I do think that they could have made a more approachable NG, with lower difficult, but keeping the core gameplay intact, making the game interesting to old and new players.

PS: Sorry about the bad English.

Wait, wait, wait

There are STILL people parading that IGN score like it means something?

Jesus

EpNfr.png

ok awesome dude who is apparently the most brilliant guy in the world, you go buy this game for $60 on release day and let us know how well that works out for ya.

p.s. the reviews are all middling, IGN is just the cherry on top. Your implied method of completely ignoring a review just because it comes from one outlet is just as bad as anyone blindly accepting it. Go read the damn review and make up your mind for yourself instead of jumping on any bandwagon.

Tain

Seraphinianus said:
Go read the damn review and make up your mind for yourself instead of jumping on any bandwagon.

The IGN review contains, like, nothing. :(

Some complaints about the old camera (can't care), bosses regenerating limbs/being reused (can't care), and vague comments about how the game is as easy as Dynasty Warriors without going into any detail at all.

IIRC you can choose between Easy, Normal, Hard, Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja.

Cool! All from the start, do you know? As long as I can start from Hard, which I heard I could, I'm good.

I believe the Steel on Blade happens on pretty much every enemy. Guess it gets triggered everytime an enemy is about to die.

Also by cinematic shit, do you mean those QTE sections? Yeah, I believe they happen very very frequently as well :(

I'm pretty much just talking about Steel on Blade. QTE sections between the fights isn't a big deal to me. This is actually the part I'm worried least about.

Floex

World's biggest gaming site and their reviews are usually very much indicative of the game eg UC3 /Zelda . But thats my opinion of course

I don't know why 'world's biggest gaming site' has anything to do with credibility. In that sense we should take Metacritic as gospel. As for their reviews scores, it usually means them going completely over the top with their scoring ala Uncharted 3 which was never a 10/10 game

I'm not saying NG3 is a good a or bad game, it seems it is going to be a disappointment regardless but it does puzzle me when an IGN score is meant to mean something

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Edge is going to give it a [9]. Can bet my kidney on it.

ultim8p00

Banned
and how do you know all this? You played the full game? There are countless of other reviewers who gave it 7/8 . This is not a NG material but in a sense a 7/8 game + plus the game has lot of content too. I trust IGN since their reviews are mostly in line with my expectations after playing a game,but this one doesnt make sense

Yes, I am currently playing the full game. Trust me, the review makes sense. Everything they say in that review is EXACTLY like they say.

This game is more fun to watch than to play. It looks cool, and that may be why you are experiencing some cognitive dissonance. When you play it however, it feels wrong. The hitboxes are annoying, and you will randomly stop hitting the guy you are hitting to turn around and hit the guy who is dying on the ground, or your combo will randomly get interrupted to into a SOB, or the ENTIRE GAME will RANDOMLY GET INTERRUPTED BECAUSE YOUR FUCKING EMO HAND is hurting and you will start limping about.

The problem is that they can't really have their cake and eat it too. If the goal from the onset of development is greater accessibility, then quite naturally there will be several aspects of NG that'll be compromised.

They have to be compromised, because games like Ninja Gaiden Black are distinctly non-accessible. And that isn't because Itagaki was sending out a big "fuck you" to everyone; it's because he respected the notion that player ability should be a significant part of the gameplay, whether that comes through some sort of natural affinity for these games, lots of practice and getting accustomed to the game's controls and enemies, or in most cases both.

NGB and to a lesser extent NG2 made you work for it, and that's where the great sense of achievement came from (Demon's/Dark Souls follow a very similar concept and they are cherished by many for doing so). The very first boss of NG/NGB is notorious for being a huge barrier for many people that they simply never get over. As soon as you try to cut down on that sort of stuff in the name of accessibility, you lose what makes the NG games special.

I'm a firm believer that there is a middle-ground there somewhere. Something like Bayonetta's automatic mode. I get that some people want to feel like a badass and destroy everything as a super powered Ninja... and if you're trying to make the game accessible - by all means make it the default setting - I'd like to see Ninja Gaiden as a bigger franchise than it currently is.

However, some options would be nice. Make it so after a certain difficulty level you have to manage your health (via essence or pre-set checkpoints), upgrades aren't just handed to you as part of the story etc. It would be difficult no doubt, but certainly more worthwhile than a throw away multiplayer mode surely. I'm sure there were always going to be elements dumbed down or removed from NG to ensure it wasn't completely off-putting to newcomers... but it's obvious that it's gone a few steps too far. Accessibility was reached when health went auto regen, potions were removed and the difficulty was eased up. Removing weapons, adding QTE's, kunai climbing (and I'm led to believe, an on-rails bow section?) are all far more serious compromises or examples of shitty creativity than many of us expected.

ironcreed

Banned
What difficulty did IGN play on? They said the game is like dynasty warriors, wonder if it's as easy as they claim it to be

Wait a second... Ryu is ironically in the new Warriors Orochi 3 releasing this week. I'll actually be glad to have him there, as I love Dynasty Warriors and the Warriors series of games in general. But when I play Ninja Gaiden, I want Ninja Gaiden.

Sad to see such a brilliant series stripped of what it once was. Where once you were on the edge of your seat for every encounter, now you have enemies crawling backwards on their ass in fear.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
No it isn't. God Hand was a new IP and a good game.

NG3 is part of an established IP with well defined mechanics and it is a shit game.

I'm assuming you've played the game?

ok awesome dude who is apparently the most brilliant guy in the world, you go buy this game for $60 on release day and let us know how well that works out for ya.

p.s. the reviews are all middling, IGN is just the cherry on top. Your implied method of completely ignoring a review just because it comes from one outlet is just as bad as anyone blindly accepting it. Go read the damn review and make up your mind for yourself instead of jumping on any bandwagon.

Um, are you familiar with IGN, and it's history at all?

Or wait, do you work there?

Kusagari

How in the hell is this anywhere near similar to God Hand?

The God Hand review was the reviewer complaining about how hard the game is and factually lying about calling it a 'button masher'.

The IGN review contains, like, nothing. :(

Yeah, I just read it. Didn't justify much.

I wonder at the score they gave it for graphics. Game looks pretty good to me.

except this whole part describes why the gameplay is bad:

Somewhere along the way, Team Ninja forgot this is what made Ninja Gaiden great. Nothing about Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, or even challenging enough to be amusing. Enemies here are harmless. More often than not, the soldiers, ninja, or monsters pop out simply to wait to die. Ninja Gaiden compensates for this with a disarming quantity of guys to kill, which is a cheap cop-out that emphasizes its creative vacancy. Repetition sinks in early, hits hard, and doesn't let up. In addition, the erratic and unreliable targeting means missing marks more often than is acceptable for a franchise revered for precision. In another questionable step backward, Ryu sticks with just one weapon for the entire game.

The most challenging thing about Ninja Gaiden 3 is dealing with its confused camera. It tries to highlight big moments via swooping angles and cool cuts, but it can't keep up with the events. How is the perspective more distracting and disorienting in 2012 than it was in 2004? More importantly, how can something this chaotic be so thoroughly unexciting?

Such archaic design dominates Ninja Gaiden 3. Structurally, it feels more like Dynasty Warriors than anything else. You'll kill a dozen or so identical enemies in a locked arena, wait for the next wave, and do it again. Every so often you'll unleash magic to wipe out everyone on-screen. Once you've killed 20-50 guys, you'll exit the arena, enter another, and fight 20-50 more hostiles.

Boss battles are similarly interminable. Bisecting a Goddess and cutting the arms off a biological experiment could have been climactic finales to otherwise uninteresting, too-similar spectacles. Instead, enemies regenerate lost limbs, repair their bodies, or have armored plates protecting what you thought you destroyed. Worse, Ninja Gaiden recycles bosses frequently. You can expect to fight numerous big-bads repeatedly and to do so in the same predictable fashion you did last time.

and all the other parts which describe why the story is bad. and why the overall game is bad because it took focus off the gameplay in exchange for a bad and uncalled-for narrative that nobody demanded.

Face it-- they tried to make this series more God of War-like to get dat western $$$. They had dat western money with NG1/Black because those were solid games and had solid sales. NG2, Sigma, Sigma 2, and NGS+ are all trash and sold worse...though NG2 has probably sold more than all 3 sony games combined.

it's almost like the "western game design = $$$" thing is a lie someone came up with to screw with japanese publishers' heads. Now they've really ruined a perfectly good series to pursue that....awesome.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know where to get actual stats, but I can almost guarantee that God of War (heck maybe even GOW3) sold more than NG2.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This is only going to be like God Hand if NG3 turns out to be gdlk. If anything, that comparison probably fits more with Silent Hill Downpour (to an extent). From the stuff I've seen in that walkthrough, and that top players couple of videos in hard mode, I don't see it happening. I'll rent this and give it a fair shake when I can. I've already seen shit in it that offends me more than NG2 did though. :/

danmaku

Yes, I am currently playing the full game. Trust me, the review makes sense. Everything they say in that review is EXACTLY like they say.

This game is more fun to watch than to play. It looks cool, and that may be why you are experiencing some cognitive dissonance. When you play it however, it feels wrong. The hitboxes are annoying, and you will randomly stop hitting the guy you are hitting to turn around and hit the guy who is dying on the ground, or your combo will randomly get interrupted to into a SOB, or the ENTIRE GAME will RANDOMLY GET INTERRUPTED BECAUSE YOUR FUCKING EMO HAND is hurting and you will start limping about.

Is this Castlevania 2 all over again?

castlevania_night.png

No it isn't. God Hand was a new IP and a good game.

NG3 is part of an established IP with well defined mechanics and it is a shit game.

yeah, God Hand had Shinji Mikami, who already proved himself with great games in the past

Hayashi on the other hand........... :-/

This reminds me that I miss the fuckin' INTERCEPT technique from HP1 that got taken out of NGB. Itagaki said because it made the game too easy when you master it, but that shit was GODLIKE. You could intercept Lord Doku and the Berserkers all day if you knew what to look for.

Hell yes. My favourite version of NG isn't Black but the original with HP and Intercept. Too awesome, I still have my old Xbox that I bought only to connect to Xbox Live once and download the HP just so I can play the game FOREVER. Of course the drive stopped reading discs in a few months so it doesn't work any more. Don't know what happens with DLC if you softmod an original Xbox so I just keep it as it is but at least I can still play it in theory :-/

Top Bottom