• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

danmaku

So people now are trusting IGN scores and reviews?

I don't give a damn about the score, but all the reviews so far seem to agree on the game's problems. It's just that for some reviewer said problems aren't game-breaking, so they gave the game 7/10 or 8/10.

edit:

Ninja Gaiden 3's new fighting style has subtly tipped the focus from defence and simply staying alive, to aggression and adventure. Enemies will tear you apart if you sit back and block - it's far better to get stuck in and try to chain together steel on bone moves.

LOL did this guy ever play NG2? sit back and block is a recipe for disaster in NG2.

Zeliard

The title and the headline already start off amusingly:

"Ninja Gaiden 3 review: Less brutal, less sadistic - and better for it"

"Cutting down on excessive difficulty"

Excessive? Really? :p

CVG said:
Ninja Gaiden 3 is all about accessibility. It isn't necessarily about dumbing down; it's about choosing how you want to play. The game no longer wants to kick your ass - horror of horrors - it wants you to enjoy the ride. Accessibility runs through everything, from the action (which now features more emphasis on one-button kill moves), to the plot (good, old fashioned world-domination nonsense) to the characters (Ryuremoves his mask, revealing himself to be human after all). It's fair to say long-time fans - and the famously outspoken NG creator Tomonobu Itagaki - will be spitting chips, but the reality is that Ninja Gaiden needs to broaden its appeal or it will die in obscurity.

This is viewed in a positive light, somehow. There are plenty of brainless 3D action games like Heavenly Sword if you want an easy path through. The whole point of Ninja Gaiden is that it's rough and highly rewarding due to it; Itagaki stuck a sexy pink ribbon on your arm if you wanted an easier way through the game. That may have hurt people's feelings but that's how it should be. Diversity in games is a good thing, and that includes diversity within each genre.

This would be like if some dev got the rights to Dark Souls and then created a much easier, shallower game in the name of "accessibility." Talk about "horror of horrors." :p

CVG said:
Rather than being a smart addition to your tactical arsenal, Ninpo is now a get out of jail free card as it wipes out all enemies and refills your health. Obliteration moves are as simple as tapping light/strong attack on a wounded enemy, and the new 'steel on bone' moves are no more than quick-time finishers. Hammer RT/R2 to execute a horrific kill move. Limb removal is out, but brutal slashes from your sword always produce generous spouts of blood. On paper it sounds like Team Ninja have clumsily cut into the game and removed all that made it great, just leaving the stuff that superficially dazzles, but hands-on it feels... right.

Guy got so tired of getting smacked around in NG games that he yearned for something simpler and easier, and he apparently got it. It's not even conjecture; he pretty much flat-out says exactly that throughout the review.

There's clearly a pattern here. Even the more positive reviews note that the game is much dumber than its predecessors. People will like or dislike it largely based on whether they want flashiness at the expense of depth and difficulty (and it's hardly like the NG games before weren't flashy; looking cool was just something you had to earn). Heavenly Sword was decently received so I imagine many people will like NG3 for its flashy simplicity.

Atolm

Meh, Sigma 2 was easy and dumbed down enough, even the normal difficulty mode is very forgiving with the health regeneration system, I think I died once or twice. And it's not even the lowest difficulty setting. If you need even lower difficulty, you shouldn't be playing Ninja Gaiden at all.

Nowadays everyone seems to think that you need to broaden the appeal for every game. They don't seem to realize that some games won't be mainstream and/or sell millions no matter what you do. NJ3 will bomb hard among the mainstream crowd and will anger longtime fans.

Wow a 3/10. I hope the guy gets fired.
This game needed to be judged on its own merits and not by a NG fanboy who would like to take it in the mouth from Itagaki.

I doubt this will affect anyone decision, just destroy IGN's already poor reputation.

This game needed to be judged on its own merits and not by a NG fanboy who would like to take it in the mouth from Itagaki.

I doubt this will affect anyone decision, just destroy IGN's already poor reputation.

Really? Fired?

I mean, I don't necessarily think he took a neutral stance on the game. But it's clear that the game is divisive at this point. If you're a NG fan, it's a shitty mark on the franchise... if you're not... well it's another good entry into the action genre. I certainly think that having reviews at CVG handing out an 8/10 and claiming that dumbing it down was a good thing - entitles a reviewer to say that it's disappointing and a shitty entry in the series... possibly justifying a 3/10. I'll reserve my judgement until I get the game.

pakkit

Banned

I give this post 3/10.

Kusagari

Looks like Hayashi posts on GAF.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
13311600629.gif

thought I wanted to see the train crash, but it doesn't even sound worth a look. I don't think this is a "Godhand" 3.0 where the game is so different that it goes over the reviewer's head.

Someone will probably rip and upload the 360 version of the DOA5 demo, i'll just download that and play it on a friend's 360.

Asriel

Wow did not realize we weren't allowed to post personal opinions here anymore, sorry.

Points taken. It seems you just have a different view of what makes Ninja Gaiden what it is to you. That is perfectly acceptable and I can relate as I feel the same towards other franchises. I still think if you play the hardest difficulty you might find more enjoyment than you may be expecting.

He should probably actually finish a game before he laughs at anything.

Um, where did I say that? I simply dismissed it as foolish.

ss_lemonade

Damn that's a harsh score from IGN lol. Was expecting at least a 7 out of them.

Anyway, have yet to play the game so I don't know. Being a fan of the OG Ninja Gaiden, Black and its sequel, I'm not sure if the changes to the formula will work for me. Especially all the QTEs now scattered throughout the game (reminds me of Ninja Blade)

Skilletor

NGS2? The game where all bosses health take forever to deplete? The same game where you can Izuna drop Genshin and Scythe UT almost every boss out there? LOLZERS

Nawp, NGS2, the game where it doesn't drop down to single digit framerate and I'm not getting pelted by offscreen shurikens 24/7.

It's funny to see when reviews matter on gaf. lol.

Apdiddy

The guy who reviewed it has the PS3 version of AMY on his wishlist.

So either he likes unfairly hard and difficult games or was really disappointed that NG3 wasn't actually hard by his standards.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure IGN was also the website that gave I Am Alive a 4.5 and all other websites gave it a 8 or above. Yeah, they're the outliers.

Kusagari

The guy who reviewed it has the PS3 version of AMY on his wishlist.

So either he likes unfairly hard and difficult games or was really disappointed that NG3 wasn't actually hard by his standards.

Or he added the game before it came out and hoped it would be good?

lmao at going through the guys wish list as some kind of way to judge him.

thabiz

I love how everyone is freaking out and damning the game based on the IGN review.

IGN gets continuously bashed and laughed at here. Gave Downpour a 4.5 and the thread was rife with "LOOOOOL IGN!"

If they gave this review to ME3, this place would explode with hate. preconceived notion + ONE bad review = opinion validated.

I am waiting until the game is in my hands, before i say anything. Like every game I have ever played!

I know Bigalski personally, he's one of the top NG/B/S players in the world. Every time I bring up NG3, he just gets this distant look and his eye like "...goddamnit"

He's probably laughing his fat ass off at these reviews right now. I demand more, internet!

Tain

What I want to know:

1) Is Hard mode is roughly as tough as Normal NGB or Warrior NG2?
2) How many difficulty levels are there after Hard? (assuming the difficulty levels matter as much as in the first two)
3) Is the cinematic shit is so frequent that it actually detracts from things? I don't mind the sound of SOB if it doesn't happen every other enemy.

Very likely to get this game anyway, but it would be great to know the above.

Zeliard

Metro GameCentral's opening paragraph from their 8/10 review:

Metro said:
The phrase 'dumbed down' is one you're likely to hear a lot in regards to Ninja Gaiden 3. And in a sense its detractors are right: this purposefully moves away from the outrageous gore and antagonistic difficulty that has left it a niche series appreciated only by a dedicated few. But being an ultra deadly ninja warrior should be an experience open to all, and that's the goal this new sequel sets itself.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/893514-ninja-gaiden-3-review-level-difficulty

I think this pattern will end up holding pretty strongly. Quite simply, people who wanted an easier and more accessible Ninja Gaiden seem likely to enjoy it. People who wanted something approaching an actual Ninja Gaiden game, prolly not.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure IGN would love a simple Ninja Gaiden 3. Looks like the reviewer might have just been incompetent.

I have said this when Ninja Gaiden 3's first gameplay/ info was reveiled: Create a new IP. The Ninja Gaiden 3 in its current form could have easily been a game with, for example, Hayate in the lead role. But no, they had to butcher Ryu. It's so vastly different from NG 1 and 2 that it's a meh NG game.

Nawp, NGS2, the game where it doesn't drop down to single digit framerate and I'm not getting pelted by offscreen shurikens 24/7.

It's funny to see when reviews matter on gaf. lol.

they start to matter when the cumulative assessment of a game falls somewhere in between "it's ok, i guess" to "it's terrible."

ss_lemonade

What I want to know:

3) Is the cinematic shit is so frequent that it actually detracts from things? I don't mind the sound of SOB if it doesn't happen every other enemy.

Very likely to get this game anyway, but it would be great to know the above.
I believe the Steel on Blade happens on pretty much every enemy. Guess it gets triggered everytime an enemy is about to die.

Also by cinematic shit, do you mean those QTE sections? Yeah, I believe they happen very very frequently as well :(

The sad thing is, I'll likely enjoy Tales of Graces F's combat system more than NG3 or DmCs.. Platinum Games is our last hope for precise, responsive, well designed, in depth, and challenging action games.

elohel

I know Bigalski personally, he's one of the top NG/B/S players in the world. Every time I bring up NG3, he just gets this distant look and his eye like "...goddamnit"

He's probably laughing his fat ass off at these reviews right now. I demand more, internet!

what rank was he?

I haven't played the game, so I won't comment the 3/10 that might be deserved from what I've seen and read about the game. But 4 to the graphics? Come on IGN, NG3 may be a failure gameplay wise, but it looks nice, it certainly looks better than 4/10. This is something that really piss me off about IGN, it looks like they give those sub-score after they decided how much the game will score, for example if you have an awesome game with a poor soundtrack, it won't have less than 7 or 8 to the soundtrack score. On the other side, and shitty game with great music won't get more than 4 or 5 for the soundtrack. I know it's just numbers, but it's always pissing me off, especially since they gather so much traffic and have so much influence.

Xater

I'm pretty sure IGN was also the website that gave I Am Alive a 4.5 and all other websites gave it a 8 or above. Yeah, they're the outliers.

Giantbomb also only gave it 3/5 and judging by the demo the game is terrible. I have no problem with the IGN score.

SykoTech

But that would mean that they would have to do something that is not DOA.

Heh. I've honestly never been that big of a fan of DOA. 2 was pretty fun, but that was about it. But DOA5 looks amazing to me so far. Miles better than any footage I've seen of this game or Other M. Hopefully it will be the Team Ninja's standout title this gen.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, I thought it was obvious that it was not going to be Ninja Gaiden as we know it, but a 3 from IGN? I still plan to rent it to see for myself of course, but was anyone expecting this harsh a reaction from the likes of a site that is notorious for handing out such high scores?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I played NG2 on Easy, and kinda struggled on Normal. Would Normal be fine on this game?

Anteater

What difficulty did IGN play on? They said the game is like dynasty warriors, wonder if it's as easy as they claim it to be

Top Bottom