• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

The Crash Bandicoot thing wouldn't be so bad if the angle wasn't like...fucking terrible.

and it seems like the controls aint too hot for that section either

ibcJmOMnzcpjDE.gif

Pachinko

I'm extremely glad IGN gave that brutal review, he just spoke about the games quality like any true fan of the series would. I was more then willing to give this game a chance but the more I hear about it , the less I like.

There was always a sense of worry behind whatever enthusiasm I mustered, kind of convincing myself it'll be okay. I wanted to give Hayashi a chance to shine on his own, every previous effort he and his team have been involved with has either been overseen by others (and likely faltered because of that) OR was simply re-purposing old assets. Ninja Gaiden Black was his training game, where itagaki showed him the ropes but largely still itagaki's product. He then moved onto dragon sword where he took bosses and stages from black and squeezed them into a portable experience, still done mostly under Itagaki's gaze. Some of the few elements added to dragon sword from hayashi include the new bosses which were some of the weaker parts of the game as well as momiji. After this we should all recall Hayashi's full directors cut of black , which came in the form of Sigma. During sigmas development Itagaki was busy overworking himself and his team to the point of burnout building both DOAXtreme 2 as well as Ninja Gaiden 2. As such, he was unavailable. It shows because the pacing of sigma is awkward, racheal levels that no one really asked for get tossed into the game and the player is forced to learn a character that plays almost opposite to Ryu just to see some boobs jiggle. Some portions of the graphics received an inconsistent makeover as well. Thing is though, he WAS stuck dealing with largely the same game for the 3rd time in a row. It was a good enough experience to begin with that none of his decisions made any real impact. The next game he and his team were tasked with occured during the itagaki fallout period. Ninja gaiden sigma 2 was actually something I was incredibly interested in- it looked to cleanup the sloppy boss fights of the standard NG2 while cleaning up the host of remaining bugs you'd stumble across on the xbox. It looked nicer for the most part as well. When it finally came out though, despite the cleaned up visuals and toned down difficulty , we were again forced to play as a bunch of bouncing breasts. I can't lie- I stopped playing the game at momiji's stage. I died about 30 times fighting the 2 tengu's at once at just gave up. The entire game up to that point felt like Ninja Gaiden 2 without the balls and a stage where you play as a jiggly girl ninja cemented that feeling. She was slow and weak and enemies I'd trounce all over with Ryu only 1 stage prior were now putting up far more fight then I was willing to give. Either way, it seemed like the games soul (which was flawless on xbox) was torn asunder. I just had more fun with a sloppy rushed game on xbox than I did with the polished but nuetered ps3 release. Hayashi's team was then tasked with making a metroid game and they had plenty of great ideas , most of which made it into the game, sadly nintendo had already mandated the story the game would follow and the overall tone of the game. The end result is a great game hampered rather heavily by poor decisions that are ALL nintendo's doing. I'd say Other M was the title that showed me, given some time to design their own game that "team ninja dog" could do well for themselves. This , ultimatly is the reason why I held out some hope for Ninja Gaiden 3. I figured, well all these changes are kind of dumb but maybe the game will still be fun to play ? It's really sounding like NG3 is exactly the sort of action game Itagaki would completely hate. An age old interview with him described dynasty warriors as little more then vegetable dicing and it's incredibly disheartening to see that in spite of Itagaki's mentorship , Hayashi has transformed this great franchise into a virtual slap chop.

I guess I will now move my hopes to DOA5, graphically it looks spectacular but it too seems to be adding more flash then actual substance just from the videos I've seen- cinematic smash moves to knock someone around the level, destructible stages? I won't know for sure until I play it but these all seem like ideas meant to hide a game that may end up being really shallow. (I'm a longtime doa fan too).

In short :(

benzy

What's worse is that the T-rex still does the same shit even when Ryu isn't anywhere near it.

ng3dinjrkiz.gif

And we also have this.

ng3wtrqklg.gif

ultim8p00

Banned
There was a skeletal T-Rex in part one... quit with the noise.
This game is no less bound in reality than any of the past Gaidens.

The T-Rex in NGB was a bone dragon with patterns that you had to memorize to defeat it, a little bit like a Zelda boss.

This T-Rex boss runs about and hits its head on the wall, then you come and kill it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guys, can you please stop with gifs that actively spoil sections of the game? Even if it is a hilariously shit boss.

Draft

Perfect illustration of what Itagaki got and what Hayashi doesn't get.

Ninja Gaiden is not about fear. No quarter asked and no quarter given. NG2 wasn't a great game, and was in fact kind of a lousy Ninja Gaiden game, but IMO nothing sums up the design of Ninja Gaiden better than a ninja whose legs you just chopped off frantically crawling towards you on his stumps to take you out with a suicide grenade. That shit is bad ass.

No fear.

Hiltz

Team Ninja made a better Metroid game than Ninja Gaiden! Jesus.

NG3 looks like a rushed launch title for crying out loud.

UrbanRats

Perfect illustration of what Itagaki got and what Hayashi doesn't get.

Ninja Gaiden is not about fear. No quarter asked and no quarter given. NG2 wasn't a great game, and was in fact kind of a lousy Ninja Gaiden game, but IMO nothing sums up the design of Ninja Gaiden better than a ninja whose legs you just chopped off frantically crawling towards you on his stumps to take you out with a suicide grenade. That shit is bad ass.

No fear.

But at least now the story has DEPTH!

Victrix

*beard*
K it's time someone posted something interesting and relevant:

http://www.primagames.com/blog/ninja-gaiden-3-top-ten-techniques

Steel on bone has its place, might be an integral part of your strategy at higher difficulties.

Good post, good post, refutes the complaints here nicely

fuck yeah said:
Counterattack
On the Master Ninja and Ultimate Ninja difficulty settings, the counterattack technique is your best friend. There are so many enemies attacking Hayabusa at once, you can literally mash this technique and be successful. I never recommend mashing, but in this instance, it’s an acceptable strategy that works very well.

Sheikh

Banned
No it isn't. God Hand was a new IP and a good game.

NG3 is part of an established IP with well defined mechanics and it is a shit game.

These are posts that will quickly make neogaf N4G . I remember back in the days that spam site used to get a lot of hits .Moderators should apply some filters so that posts like these which reek of some sort of personal vendetta should be expunged

Defunkled

Regardless of the quality of the single player portion, is anyone else a little bit excited for the multiplayer? As long as there's not a lot of lag, it could be cool, right? The thought of applying the gameplay system of Ninja Gaiden to a multiplayer setting has always intrigued me. Granted, any amount of lag could completely ruin it.

Robot Pants

Regardless of the quality of the single player portion, is anyone else a little bit excited for the multiplayer? As long as there's not a lot of lag, it could be cool, right? The thought of applying the gameplay system of Ninja Gaiden to a multiplayer setting has always intrigued me. Granted, any amount of lag could completely ruin it.

...hahahaha no. it's gonna be terrible. It's just thrown together. And the lag? I'm gonna assume its right up there with the co-op from Sigma 2. So, really bad.

HYDE

Banned
Says the guy who throws out an direct insult

Says the guy who assumes they were talking about the wackiness of a dinosaur instead of the actual boss fight itself.

Seriously, you just keep making yourself look dumber with every post. Quit while you're ahead, paco.

Your ego is tremendous, let it go dude. Life is okay, you'll make it through the night.

You play with the dragon sword all game? seriously? SERIOSLY?

... So did anyone on team ninja actually play the previous games? like ever? How is this... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my brain is melting down.

UrbanRats

Please, tell me that you aren't saying that the Gaping Dragon is "the worst boss of this gen".

No.
Watch the NG3 video, the
T-rex
pattern is basically the same (dumb) as the Gaping Dragon's.
Also, although i love the Gaping Dragon's design, well he was a pretty shitty boss to fight.
That said, no i don't think he's the worst at all, i was just comparing the two.

FGMPR

Banned
This seems like as good a place as any to ask, so is NGS on vita still worth a purchase to a NG new player even if it runs at 30fps?

Wow, what the hell did they do to Ninja Gaiden? I was never really a big fan of the other games, though I could certainly appreciate what they did (I was just really bad at them), but this just looks like some generic action, button-mashy shit. I haven't seen a series do a complete 180 on its original design pillars since the last C&C, and that was just as bad of an idea. I really wonder what developers are thinking sometimes.

i-Lo

Okay, I must say that the t-rex boss AI design and the entire sequence were just.... laughable, horrible, saddening, maddening, retarded, bad, terrible, hopeless etc.

Oddduck

So here's the question, do you guys think Wii U version will be definitive version?

They have between now and Wii U's launch to improve the game's bad AI, glitches, etc. That's a good 5-8 months depending on when Wii U launches. I would think the negative feedback of the PS3/360 versions would make them want to improve some of their mistakes.

(8 months if it comes out in November). And they said they would push the graphics on the Wii U version to the system's fullest capabilities.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/10/tea...-as-hard-as-it-can-says-tk-localisation-boss/

"“But I can tell you that the team being what it is is definitely interested in pushing the hardware (Wii U) as hard as it can. With 3DS, when we brought out Dead or Alive: Dimensions, that was one of the best looking 3DS games out there.” "

Veelk

Banned
Can someone tell me when the weapons DLC will be available? I'd rather not go through the game with ONLY a sword if possible.

So here's the question, do you guys think Wii U version will be definitive version?

They have between now and Wii U's launch to improve the game's bad AI, glitches, etc. That's a good 5-8 months depending on when Wii U launches. I would think the negative feedback of the PS3/360 versions would make them want to improve some of their mistakes.

Considering the current sad state of affairs, I fear the "improvements" they might make.

Top Bottom