• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 64 hooked back: man the effect of Mario 64x4 is strong... how about ya ?

Mr Gump

Banned
Maybe, if someone can explain how the control of the n64 version is going to accurately replicated with the d-pad and stylus. I dont fully understand how its going to work. Remeber, mario 64 was a game praised for its control.

MaddenNFL64

If I still had an N64 sure, but sadly I don't so i'll have to triple jump around the 3D castle in my mind for now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mr Gump said:
Maybe, if someone can explain how the control of the n64 version is going to accurately replicated with the d-pad and stylus. I dont fully understand how its going to work. Remeber, mario 64 was a game praised for its control.

The control was part of the game, let's see how they replicate it: characters seemed to move quite nicely.

The Nintendo 64 controller has that wierd design, as the GCN one, for the analog stick... you are pretty much limited to ~8 directions when moving at full speed.

If the default action is walking and running is enabled by pressing the Y button we should come reasonably close to a comfortable control set-up.

AniHawk

My N64, SNES, NES, Dreamcast, PS2, GC, and Xbox are all plugged in at once. The Atari 7800 stays out unless there's a very seldom occasion where I want to play Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, or Adventure.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Although I may be in the minority, I'm glad that Nintendo are pumping out at least Mario 64 for DS, since I haven't really bothered to get a brand new N64 and those damn controllers were terrible when clogged up.

Mario 64 DS controls as such:

A) You move with the D-Pad, and hold Y to run with it.

B) There's a wrist strap thingy that has a thumb thingy you can strap on to your thumb. Switch Mario 64 DS into "touch" mode and you can drag your thumb around the touch-pad to control the game analog style.

C) Some third mode I don't know yet.

Also, after watching GameSpot's 14 minute demonstration video, I am so stoked for this game. They've add SO much to it. 3 new playable characters that control different, 36+ minigames, and NEW STAGES too boot!

I hooked my N64 up to my caputre card on my computer a few months ago and played through Mario 64 again and got 119 stars (forgot where one of them was!) Man it is still awesome even to this day. It was nice playing it with sharper graphics through my computer monitor too. So many memorable tunes too. I love the Bowser stage music particually. :)

It should be interesting to play it on DS but I'm not that excited about it to be honest. It's sort of like playing DKC on GBA. It's just not the same.

nubbe

I got my N64 hooked up again to play Paper Mario because of Paper Mario 2...
I will continue to starve myself on Mario64 so it will be as much of a fresh experience as it can be.

Tim

Never played the gem in my life (only partially), though I did have an N64. Doesn't really make sense does it? The same goes for OOT, which I'm busy with replaying through my GCN.
So playing Mario 64 on the DS will be largely a new experience for me.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The Nintendo 64 is the only videogame system I have ever sold back and is the piece of hardware that transformed me from Nintendo-cheerleader into whatever the hell I am today.

I have no interest in reliving that era of my life ever again, especially in worthless portable form.

AniHawk

dog$ said:
The Nintendo 64 is the only videogame system I have ever sold back and is the piece of hardware that transformed me from Nintendo-cheerleader into whatever the hell I am today.

That sucks that you were so into gaming or Nintendo as a whole to have everything shattered so hard. I kinda know the same feeling except it was moving to a different high school, and it left me completely bitter and full of hate (for the new school).

Heh, I hooked up the N64 for my boyfriend a few days ago at his new apartment, he moved out of town and I knew he'd have nothing to do often, so I gave him the N64 and a bunch of games (he stopped gaming after Genesis), and I "walked him through the ropes" of getting his first two stars, then let him be... I think he's still stuck on the first star in the snow world (that evil ice slide, which later you have to race a penguin on), haha.

AniHawk

adelgary said:
Heh, I hooked up the N64 for my boyfriend a few days ago at his new apartment, he moved out of town and I knew he'd have nothing to do often, so I gave him the N64 and a bunch of games (he stopped gaming after Genesis), and I "walked him through the ropes" of getting his first two stars, then let him be... I think he's still stuck on the first star in the snow world (that evil ice slice, which later you have to race a penguin on), haha.

I remember when I first got my N64 in 1998 along with SM64... I would secretly watch my dad desperately try to play the game. He kept trying to jump on Toad. Eventually he figured out that he needed to jump into a painting (I remember thinking that was so cool looking back in 1997). Shortly thereafter he gave up on it.

He did play the N64 pretty regularly though. Got Nagano Winter Olympics '98 (as a rental), NFL Quarterback Club '98 (which he still owns me to this day at), and All-Star Baseball 2000 (which had more evenly matched matches- what suprised me most was he saw an ad in the paper for it and picked it up that day).

I rented GoldenEye 007 once, but had to go stay at my mom's parents for the weekend. When I got back, he had gone out and bought GoldenEye 007 and Banjo-Kazooie (without knowing ANYTHING about it).

He also liked playing Link's Awakening for a while until he got stuck in the second level and stopped.

But that's enough for this tangent. :lol

Top Bottom