• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixins

Banned
im telling you guys, mobile site is working

2HhoNkK.jpg

It was heartening to be in line with so many moms and dads who told me that they grew up on these games and wanted to play them with their kids. And the kids I saw with their parents were HYPED just like I was when I was their age. Lots of Mario and Peach fans among them.

Awesome!

I'm excited to show the system to my parents soon.

It was heartening to be in line with so many moms and dads who told me that they grew up on these games and wanted to play them with their kids. And the kids I saw with their parents were HYPED just like I was when I was their age. Lots of Mario and Peach fans among them.

That was the highlight of my morning. :)

radcliff

Got to target at 7 AM. Was about 10th in line. Store rep came out at 7:45 saying they had 35 in stock, but only 4 controllers. I got a console, but not a controller. Guess I will have to put those Wii Classic Controllers back to good use.

Persona7

Banned
Every store I visited got less than five controllers. You would think these things would be plentiful and easy to produce but then again this is Nintendo.

Again I point to the warehouses filled with Wii I'd to the point that they were selling them as refurbished just to clear stock.

Nintendo, like most companies, projects demand based off of retailer orders. They also don't own any manufacturing plants, so making adjustments to orders after demand spikes takes time.

As for amiibo, everyone complained about inventory, then then they increased demand. After a few more months the bottom dropped out and now you have piles of them sitting in stores at a deep discount. I saw a literal pile of them in a corner of a best buy no less than an hour ago.

As for other companies doing a better job, I point to the complete lack of PSVR bundles this holiday and the very scarce supply of XB1 Elite controllers as proof that every company has inventory issues. Even Apple, master of the modern supply chain, has inventory issues after a product release.

As with most things involving economics, it isn't a simple answer.

Want to blame something? Blame the modern just-in-time manufacturing model combined with the rise of contract manufacturers. Companies bow have to forecast demand six-eight months out and have little opportunity to adjust their production capacity going into the holidays.

Nintendo can't just call and have Foxconn make another million systems. It has be scheduled not only with the assembly plant, but with every component plant as well. Each of them works on multiple contracts at a time, with little to downtime. This is complicated by being an inexpensive product with smaller margins. Apple can afford to air freight or pay a production surcharge because their margins are huge. Nintendo cannot do that on a toy witha $35-$40 wholesale price.

But then again, it is just easier to assume that Nintendo is either incompetent or don't want your money. Either way, you're going to have to wait as more reach the market.

The big wrench in this theory that it's just "Nintendo isn't able to calculate demand," is that this was that underselling to retailers and falling short on orders was a deliberate, stated, company strategy in the 1980s and 1990s for Nintendo. It's detailed to exhaustion in Tom Kalinske's book, and Kalinske cites it was one of the reasons Sega was able to wedge into the North American market, by actually following through on orders with retailers.

As for the Elite controller or PSVR, those are actual niche devices that are difficult to estimate demand for. Nintendo fails to ship enough units for almost every product that they make, and because this was an explicit business strategy from the 80s and 90s, I have a hard time believing that, these days, it's just a problem with synergy and meeting demand.

If they have a news story about the system selling out then more people will notice the system and then more people will want to buy it

There were no commercials for those and not everyone is online X sees Nintendo posts so a fake shortage would generate hype if you get it on the news

Got an order through the mobile website, jesus christ it took forever. Checkout alone crashed 4 times and still kept it in my cart for me. I needed to get this for a christmas gift, I'm just so thankful I sat through the whole effort.

So you clearly don't think creating this demand and hype doesn't benefit them once they decide to restock? lol

I would argue that they would rather satisfy the demand that is already there today, rather than risk alienating potential customers.

The big wrench in this theory that it's just "Nintendo isn't able to calculate demand," is that this was that underselling to retailers and falling short on orders was a deliberate, stated, company strategy in the 1980s and 1990s for Nintendo. It's detailed to exhaustion in Tom Kalinske's book, and Kalinske cites it was one of the reasons Sega was able to wedge into the North American market, by actually following through on orders with retailers.

As for the Elite controller or PSVR, those are actual niche devices that are difficult to estimate demand for. Nintendo fails to ship enough units for almost every product that they make, and because this was an explicit business strategy from the 80s and 90s, I have a hard time believing that, these days, it's just a problem with synergy and meeting demand.

The entire system of manufacturing goods has so fundamentally changed since that time that I don't think any comparison can be made. Nevermind the fact that all of their upper management has changed since then as well.

If they have a news story about the system selling out then more people will notice the system and then more people will want to buy it

There were no commercials for those and not everyone is online X sees Nintendo posts so a fake shortage would generate hype if you get it on the news

It's also a way to get retailers' and consumers' money without having to ship them something. Effective getting a 90-day 0% interest advance loan without having to follow through on an order until you want to, or until you can leverage that against your suppliers for lower costs to produce. "Sorrrry, we couldn't estimate how much the demand was, but thanks for the free money and shelf-space Target!"

jluedtke

Try the mobile app for GameStop. I got mine to go through. Here's the thing, though: the app didn't say my order went through. I checked my email and saw the invoice. Then I checked my credit card statement and saw the pending charge.

Hopefully it works!

7roject28

If there were preorders, scalpers wouldn't bother. Everyone else could preorder, as well.

So scalping the console would be moot.

If there were preorders, scalpers would have had those preorders sold out. Even if they limit to one, they'll find a way around it. That's just making things easier for them. They don't have to do the leg work or fight the other people around town. Only way to fight scalpers is to wait for more stock and let them waste their money and time.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I would argue that they would rather satisfy the demand that is already there today, rather than risk alienating potential customers.

The entire system of manufacturing goods has so fundamentally changed since that time that I don't think any comparison can be made. Nevermind the fact that all of their upper management has changed since then as well.
There wouldn't be this level of demand if it was easy to get. People want what they can't have. Holy shit.

It has entirely changed, which is why it's so utterly vexing why Nintendo is the only major consumer electronics device maker in the world that consistently falls short of demand for every product they release.

Apple is the only other company that consistently cannot fulfill orders for their major devices, but at least that's understandable, as there is real demand for their hardware, not artificial demand.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Fuck. I forgot. Oh well.
EDIT: oops never mind! It's in an hour and a half!
I bought one at target and before I left the last guy in line offered to pay $300. I managed to get it up to $350 and a starbucks card. I then drove a few miles to toys r us and managed to get another one.
Dude. That's some good hustle. Can't be mad at that. All respect, good job.

Doctre81

I bought one at target and before I left the last guy in line offered to pay $300. I managed to get it up to $350 and a starbucks card. I then drove a few miles to toys r us and managed to get another one.

Damn some dude was asking if we were selling spots. I guess I should have asked him how much...

Many gamers know NPD only for videogames but in reality they cover other markets like toys.
In fact in its infancy videgames were grouped with the other toys:

Cw1OpN6UQAQp-yC.jpg:large

So I think NPD will track the NES Classic Mini though I'm not sure if the data will be available on public news sites.
It would be funny if in November or December the NES would bet PS4 and Xbox One.
Imagine the news headline lol.

Pee-Wee Herman's Talking Doll was a top ten seller? That's funny. I also feel bad for those kids who got an Atari 7800 as a Christmas present over a NES. In all honesty, the 7800 wasn't that bad, but it was really dated hardware by the time it was released. The Sega Master System didn't even chart. Pretty cool to see a sales chart from the '80s.

13ruce

Banned
Nintendo should have made way more of them, ofcourse a well respected classic mini console with 30 great games and a great mass market price is gonna sell like hotcakes.

What's the best Amazon link to refresh when it goes live? I remember from amiibo hunting that that seller page was usually better than the main listing, but I don't know how to get there.

Teletraan1

Banned
Again I point to the warehouses filled with Wii I'd to the point that they were selling them as refurbished just to clear stock.

Nintendo, like most companies, projects demand based off of retailer orders. They also don't own any manufacturing plants, so making adjustments to orders after demand spikes takes time.

As for amiibo, everyone complained about inventory, then then they increased demand. After a few more months the bottom dropped out and now you have piles of them sitting in stores at a deep discount. I saw a literal pile of them in a corner of a best buy no less than an hour ago.

As for other companies doing a better job, I point to the complete lack of PSVR bundles this holiday and the very scarce supply of XB1 Elite controllers as proof that every company has inventory issues. Even Apple, master of the modern supply chain, has inventory issues after a product release.

As with most things involving economics, it isn't a simple answer.

Want to blame something? Blame the modern just-in-time manufacturing model combined with the rise of contract manufacturers. Companies bow have to forecast demand six-eight months out and have little opportunity to adjust their production capacity going into the holidays.

Nintendo can't just call and have Foxconn make another million systems. It has be scheduled not only with the assembly plant, but with every component plant as well. Each of them works on multiple contracts at a time, with little to downtime. This is complicated by being an inexpensive product with smaller margins. Apple can afford to air freight or pay a production surcharge because their margins are huge. Nintendo cannot do that on a toy witha $35-$40 wholesale price.

But then again, it is just easier to assume that Nintendo is either incompetent or don't want your money. Either way, you're going to have to wait as more reach the market.

But we have evidence in this very thread that they didn't even meet their retailer orders. Like not even close so your whole premise falls apart. If other companies that never seem to have this problem gauge demand that way then why does nintendo fail at even meeting that bare minimum. Comparing a potato NES mini to a new to market VR headset from a manufacturing standpoint is lol. It is just another classic limit supply so it becomes a hot item. They then make more money by eventually meeting that demand. The only options aren't incompetence or they don't like money. They know what they are doing with this as they have done it in the past with great success even if Amiibos are sitting on shelves. That bubble was waiting to pop.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nintendo's brand power is so insane.

People released new Genesis, Atari and Intellivision for the last 10-15 years and no one ever gave a shit.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

People released new Genesis, Atari and Intellivision for the last 10-15 years and no one ever gave a shit.

To be fair, the genesis emulation on those machines aren't perfect, keep getting re-released constantly.

Hobbun

If there were preorders, scalpers would have had those preorders sold out. Even if they limit to one, they'll find a way around it. That's just making things easier for them. They don't have to do the leg work or fight the other people around town. Only way to fight scalpers is to wait for more stock and let them waste their money and time.

If you have a short amount of preorders, sure. However, that is no different than no preorders and a store getting only a handful of units.

What people are talking about is having preorders lasting for awhile, like at the very least a month, similar to game preorders. If that happens, no scalper would bother. At least until after maybe preorders are closed and if the console becomes hard to get a hold of.

But at least people would be able to get a hold of the system when it’s released, as they all preordered. And anyone who didn’t get a hold of one, well, that’s their own fault in missing the long preorder window.

But we have evidence in this very thread that they didn't even meet their retailer orders. Like not even close so your whole premise falls apart. If other companies that never seem to have this problem gauge demand that way then why does nintendo fail at even meeting that bare minimum. Comparing a potato NES mini to a new to market VR headset from a manufacturing standpoint is lol. It is just another classic limit supply so it becomes a hot item. They then make more money by eventually meeting that demand. The only options aren't incompetence or they don't like money. They know what they are doing with this as they have done it in the past with great success even if Amiibos are sitting on shelves. That bubble was waiting to pop.

I missed where we had access to retailers' original PO's.

FinKL

Funny you mention Atari/Intellivision. I remember getting an Atari/Intellivision Greatest hits for PS1 to play with my dad, but it could never hold my attention. Fast forward to today, I see Atari/Intellivision Greatest hits split into 2 volumes for Xbox One/PS4 at Target for $20 each (to be fair theres online now?) and I'm like "I'm just gonna get a NES"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom