• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Nintendo Direct is over...who won non-E3 this June 2024? Nintendo or Microsoft?

who won non-E3? Nintendo or Microsoft?

• Nintendo

• Microsoft

• Both are equally great

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fess

Nintendo triggered a depression for me. Everything looked like when you do HD upgrades on a emulator on PS1 games. And Zelda looked like a puzzle game. And Metroid Prime looked 10 years old. And I’ve already played Fantasian and Donkey Kong.
I liked Dragon’s Quest 3 but that’s about it.

Microsoft on the other hand showed banger after banger and I know everything will be on PC. Just 1000x better for me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think MS overall had more interesting stuff in general, but Nintendo had the most interesting ones to me: Metroid and Zelda... IMO it goes like this:

1. Metroid
2. Doom
3. Zelda
4. That turn-based game shown by MS which name I don't remember ("something 33")
5. Everything else from MS
6. Everything else from Nintendo

Kataploom

Gold Member
What was good about this Nintendo presentation? MP4 looked like an expansion pack for the remake that recently released. I was expecting much better. Other than that what was there? The Zelda game?
You can say that about almost any sequel ever announced lol

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Not saying one is better than the other because people have different interests in game genres. For me the only games I was interested for MS was Mecha Break and PD. Nintendo was Fantasian, Romancing SaGa 2, DQ 1/2/3 HD2D, MvC collection, LoZ and Metal Slug.

Gotta give it to Microsoft. It's not often they have a really good show but this time, they actually did for once, so credit to them for that.

RickMasters

The system that is getting the Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection.

grin-evil.gif
Which one… the PS4, PC or switch?

RickMasters

Counterpoint: Almost everything in Nintendo's Direct was a new announcement. Some of the Microsoft stuff was shown at previous years showcases, some as far back as four years ago, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Avowed, I could go on.
Nobody knew what perfect darks actual gameplay looked like until last week.

Nobody knew what avowed actually looked like till earlier this year. And that one comes out this year.

Nobody saw actual gameplay footage of Indy until earlier this year and that is also out this year.

Same could be said for south of midnight… we didn’t know it existed until last year. But it’s just round the corner.

State of decay 3 we know how that will play because there are two whole prequels to it right now. It’s fair to say more of the same but prettier.

So while you are not factually correct, based on ME own actuall presentations, it does serve as a reminder to not announce games long before they are close to release.

That said…. This is about who had the best show. Who showed the. It’s insterating games. That easily goes to MS. The most interesting games I seen at the Nintendo showcase was the dragons quest HD games and capcom vs marvel collection and I’ll be playing those on something other than a switch anyway.

Metroid reveal looks insteersing but that’s the only First party Nintendo game that seemed to excite. MS on the other hand have a tonne of hot first party output. Their studios were hitting the high notes with everything from doom, to perfect dark to gears, to avowed… fable, south of midnight. They went in strong.

Could only imagine the hype if they decided to just keep it all Xbox and PC…. Jeez! But stockholders, and profits come first, I guess. 🤷🏾‍♂️

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
None of these shows were particularly good, but at least Nintendo had a few things that I cared about
Dragon Quest 3 2DHD
Dragon Quest 1&2 2DHD
Romancing SaGa 2 Remake
The Legend of Zelda: Zelda no Densetsu

midnightAI

Was lmao. Now we are getting in the denial territory dude.
Huh? Since when were State of Plays classed as full showcases? They have several State of Plays a year, most focus on either one game or mostly third parties. It's not denial, it's just the way it is. Now if Sony don't have a showcase at all this year then that's fair to criticise them (or even ask the question why they haven't yet had a showcase, they don't always have one but this year it is expected due to potential Pro launch)

Hudo

Objectively speaking, I won this year's non-E3.

I've got gameplay footage and a date for Age of Mythology: Retold
I've got a new Doom game (although I would've loved a Quake game more, tbh)
I've got a demo for Metal Slug Tactics
I've got new gameplay footage and a date for Dragon Quest III: HD-2D Remake
I've got Dragon Quest I & II HD-2D Remake
I've got some footage of Metroid Prime 4
I've got a new Anno, set in my favorite peroid of history ever (Anno 117)
I've got a new Zelda game
I've got a good laugh out of Sony

I am feasting.

DKPOWPOW

It's a tie.

MS had bigger guns, but it's also about the likelihood of games like Perfect Dark or Gears releasing next year. Doom will make it for certain. But it is also not an exclusive. Metal Gear looks great.

Nintendo had Metroid, which was a big one. Mario & Luigi was a nice surprise. I'm kinda iffy on the Zelda game, Mario Party actually looked good.

The third party games are what helped, DQ HD looks really nice, curious about Saga 2, the Marvel vs. Capcom collection announcement was ace along with Investigations.

nnarum

MS had a fantastic, and much needed showing. Nintendo was fun, but really wanted to see a Switch successor showing. Will have to wait for that unfortunately. Sony... I can't even remember what they had...

Same ol G

Nintendo by miles, when Nintendo actually shows something you can count on it coming out in the next year usually.
Microsoft not so much..
Also if you don't like shooters the xbox showcase was abyssmal, Prime is the only shooter i like and it's not even an fps in the traditional sense.
Also also, most of those xbox games are coming to pc/ps5 so that also makes it a lot less interesting.

Reactions: Isa

RaptorGTA

I felt like Nintendo given their exclusive. Microsoft had some great titles top but they will on pc..which is where I'll get em.

Overall both had great showings. Maybe I lean toward nintendo just cause I expected nothing from them this year.

Isa

Gold Member
Totally subjective poll, purely down to personal preference. For me, my patience with the west has been completely depleted. MS is pretty much dead to me, and Nintendo brought some good stuff, including a few personal favorites. I also really enjoyed the far more bright and vibrant colors on display in the Nintendo show. Nearly the whole show, roughly 80% or more was stuff I'd like to try.

EruditeHobo

It's not even close, most of those Nintendo games are totally un-interesting. As usual. Their Directs are largely bad IMO, typically filled with boring remasters, casual farming sims, and party-game shovelware.

Same is true of MS, usually, but this time they showed more than enough to deserve credit. Finally.

Last edited:

Donkusei

Neo Member
Nintendo, a lot of gameplay, pretty much everything will be available in the next months... and the games just look great overall.

hinch7

Microsoft and it isn't even close. DOOM and Gears prequel were big annoucements. Nintendo didn't really have anything to that level. There was MP4 trailer and release date of a game which we knew was coming. The only other 'big' reveal was Zelda, which looks to be okay. MS had a load more games shown and (seemingly) of high quality.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
Nintendo won. Less retarded DEI trash, a focus on games actually releasing in the next year, showing actual gameplay, and having a reason to be excited for an 8 year old handheld.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Nintendo's thing was literally all ports and retro-JRPGs except for Metroid, a game they announced 7 years ago, and which still isn't coming out this year. Just zero excitement.

MS won by default.

Last edited:

Killer8

What's clear between the two is that if you have a PC with a Game Pass sub and a Switch on the side, you're the real winner here in terms of bang for buck.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Nobody knew what perfect darks actual gameplay looked like until last week.
Doesn’t look like a Perfect Dark Game. Also looks like it had its characters go through a DEI filter.

Nobody knew what avowed actually looked like till earlier this year. And that one comes out this year.
And it looks incredibly mediocre. Stilted animations, mediocre writing, overly saturated colors.

Nobody saw actual gameplay footage of Indy until earlier this year and that is also out this year.
I too can’t wait to see them degrade Indy further by constantly having him one upped and saved by his smarter, stronger, and more composed female companion.

Same could be said for south of midnight… we didn’t know it existed until last year. But it’s just round the corner.
SBI trash.

State of decay 3 we know how that will play because there are two whole prequels to it right now. It’s fair to say more of the same but prettier.
So a bog standard jank fest.

So while you are not factually correct, based on ME own actuall presentations, it does serve as a reminder to not announce games long before they are close to release.

That said…. This is about who had the best show. Who showed the. It’s insterating games. That easily goes to MS. The most interesting games I seen at the Nintendo showcase was the dragons quest HD games and capcom vs marvel collection and I’ll be playing those on something other than a switch anyway.

Metroid reveal looks insteersing but that’s the only First party Nintendo game that seemed to excite. MS on the other hand have a tonne of hot first party output. Their studios were hitting the high notes with everything from doom, to perfect dark to gears, to avowed… fable, south of midnight. They went in strong.

Could only imagine the hype if they decided to just keep it all Xbox and PC…. Jeez! But stockholders, and profits come first, I guess. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Dunno how anyone can get excited for reboots that look nothing like the franchises, heavily pushed DEI nonsense, CGI trailers with little to no gameplay, literal DLC, and multi platform titles that were announced more than a year ago.

Last edited:

SNG32

Both Conferences were great for PC gamers but I’m going to give it to Nintendo on this one. They had more games that I liked and majority of the games are coming out this year.

Looking forward to playing Mario and Luigi and Metroid at 4K on PC.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I'd say it is a tie between Nintendo and Xbox. A new Mario and Luigi RPG game may slightly put the Nintendo Direct ahead but I was also very impressed with the Xbox Showcase.

Sony keeps breaking my heart. They were easily my favorite like three years ago and it is like I don't know them anymore. I know it was a State of Play instead of a Showcase, but it is their decision to constantly drip feed. ASTRO Bot looks great! I wonder if they regret closing doing the rest of Japan Studios now after the popularity of Asobi?

GHound

"No one" should be an answer, but Nintendo because at least I'll play Dragon Quest and maybe one or two of the other multiplats.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

If Microsoft can actually deliver on what they showed, within a reasonable time. But that's the problem isn't it? For the most part Nintendo will deliver on most the titles shown, you can expect that.
Too many question marks with Microsofts showings and when they hit and quality. I get the feeling Microsoft showed a lot more Metroid 4's, not due anytime soon.

Nintendo, because it gave me Dragon Quest 3 for a Bday gift for my brother this year <3 even though I actually bought it for PS5, LOL. Family matters!

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Microsoft, most definitely. It doesn’t mean Nintendo had a bad summer, though. Hopefully Nintendo revives Eternal Darkness and gives us a The Last Story remaster for next gen.

anthony2690

Microsoft, it honestly wasn't even close.

That being said I do like the look of some of Nintendo's upcoming releases, even some of the titles I'll probably never play looked fun, like the Zelda spin off game and the mario Luigi brothership game too!

And I'm pretty pumped about DQ3 2DHD, and extra happy it's getting a physical on Xbox too! 🙏

Jesb

Microsoft has been on a downtrend spiral but they have more stuff I’m looking forward to than anyone. Nintendo did decent considering it was restricted to no Switch 2.

Quartermuncher

Neo Member
Nintendo.

Microsoft has some key issues they need to work out. I have little confidence what theyve shown off will come out before 2030, if they dont cancel anything on thier list.

Nintendo shows off good games and theyll be out shortly. Microsofts game cycles are more like being hyped for MP4 without a release year.

Top Bottom