• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 40 so I'm kinda old too. But I think you're looking at it through the gamer's lens. Yes the SNES probably holds a lot of nostalgic value to gamers, maybe even moreso. But that's not who Nintendo is targeting with this, they're targeting non-gamers, which don't hold the SNES in the same regard as the NES.

We will buy it no matter what, but we're not the intended audience.

41 here, so yeah, we're not that far off from each other. It's possible you're right, but there's a generational aspect to it as well. You and I probably had an NES, then moved to the SNES, and so on. But for people like my younger sister who started on the SNES, I'm almost certain the nostalgia bells ring just as clearly. The marketing would be a bit different, as i think the catalog would be more front and center, but I don't think demand would be a concern at all.

Yes, I see this as targeting lapsed players, not necessarily gamers or retro collectors. Looking at the logistics, the NES sold a good 10 million or so more units in the US than the SNES sold. Also, they might want to squeeze some more nostalgia out of the NES generation before more years slip by and we're all too old to care. :p

FyreWulff

I'm 40 so I'm kinda old too. But I think you're looking at it through the gamer's lens. Yes the SNES probably holds a lot of nostalgic value to gamers, maybe even moreso. But that's not who Nintendo is targeting with this, they're targeting non-gamers, which don't hold the SNES in the same regard as the NES.

We will buy it no matter what, but we're not the intended audience.

If you judge it by sales alone, for example, the NES and SNES weren't even close.

Peagles

In NZ sites have already opened up preorders for a second shipment due at Christmas so I'm sure it'll be the same elsewhere. I wouldn't worry too much if you've missed out for now.

MuchoMalo

Banned
NES Classic Edition vs. Wii U Virtual Console

Looks like Nintendo isn't blurring/darkening/squashing the picture this time! :p

(Source: Introducing the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition)

Good sign for NX VC.

Now all we need is for them to reveal that the console is using a lite version of the NX OS, that all of these will be out day 1 on the actual NX hardware, and that the NESm ships with a redeemable code to also get these games tied to your MyNintendo account for NX on both console and portable.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

RoadDogg

It is silly to think nintendo wont have these all over store shelves at launch an up to christmas. It has little to no risk of going obsolete so there is no need to have a small run of them and have it sell out right away. It will be on shelves for years.

It is silly to think nintendo wont have these all over store shelves at launch an up to christmas. It has little to no risk of going obsolete so there is no need to have a small run of them and have it sell out right away. It will be on shelves for years.

It's Nintendo. It isn't that silly.

the fact that it's releasing in November makes me worry they are going to hold back a ton of stock for Black Friday. Having this be all over the news as one of the items people are lining up for would be great for Nintendo, but shitty for people that just want to buy the damn thing.

MooMilk2929

The cord isn't that short. It's wrapped up under the controller on the Comic-Con display.

It's not wrapped up very much.
qGrHQ0X.gif

FyreWulff

They should do the 80s style ads in magazines. Remember when most ads were a picture on top and lots of text? You know it when you see it:

tmg-article_tall.jpg

tmg-article_tall.jpg

tmg-article_tall.jpg

I'm guessing they are expecting people to pull the NES out and down onto the floor when they play? I had some friends who used to do that back in the day. Always thought it was weird.

Matticers

No way will they go with a 4 foot cord or whatever that one in the gif is. Nobody wants to sit that close to their tv. Especially in the age of people having 40"+ tv's. That's not even taking into account whatever wacky setups people might have in their living room. A short cord would ruin the console for a lot of people.

DonMigs85

Yeah I kinda miss that style of 80s ads. It actually lasted until at least the mid-90s. After that they became more subtle or just had big extreeeeme text bits.

Hoodbury

No way will they go with a 4 foot cord or whatever that one in the gif is. Nobody wants to sit that close to their tv. Especially in the age of people having 40"+ tv's. That's not even taking into account whatever wacky setups people might have in their living room. A short cord would ruin the console for a lot of people.

Ya, we have ours setup above the fireplace with all the cords behind the sheet-rock. Not sure how this will work. ugh :/
Was really looking forward to getting this for my daughter.

1upmuffin

Ya, we have ours setup above the fireplace with all the cords behind the sheet-rock. Not sure how this will work. ugh :/
Was really looking forward to getting this for my daughter.

You'll probably need extension cords no matter what with that setup I'd imagine. Also, the device is small enough to just put on a shelf unplugged and only plug it in when using it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So these controllers + Wii U is pretty much the way to go right? Not much need for the actual "console" ?
Not really.

You get 30 games on the console. They would be $150 if you bought them separately on Wii U VC. Not to mention, some of them aren't available.

Plus Wii U sucks at displaying NES games. Blurry and dark. We're hoping this NES mini isn't plagued with that.

I'm so fucking tired of waiting for this shit. Just open up Amazon preorders already and announce the fucking date, Nintendo.

It's out November 11th.

This thing's going to sell out almost instantly, so NoA is probably finalizing pre-sale allocation numbers for each retailer. Hopefully Amazon gives consumers a heads-up on when they open their pre-orders.

FyreWulff

Not really.

You get 30 games on the console. They would be $150 if you bought them separately on Wii U VC. Not to mention, some of them aren't available.

Plus Wii U sucks at displaying NES games. Blurry and dark. We're hoping this NES mini isn't plagued with that.

Another upside is the games on this thing will always work, whereas once the servers go down in the far future, you better hope your Wii U doesn't die or get wiped.

Rich!

Just saw that it's £49.99 on Amazon UK with free shipping. Ordered. Why not at that price.

Will cancel my preorder instantly if it turns out we are getting darkening filter/50hz butchered shit, but so far it doesn't look like we are. Yay

Another upside is the games on this thing will always work, whereas once the servers go down in the far future, you better hope your Wii U doesn't die or get wiped.

Anyone with any sense who is concerned about that would use homebrew on their Wii U to back up all of their digital games to their PC (literally just click a link on www.loadiine.ovh in the browser, and it loads the homebrew menu from SD. No console modification needed and no traces left).

I've backed up ALL of my purchases on my Wii, Wii U and 3DS. If anything happens, or Nintendo fucks me over, I still have them. Forever.

It's out November 11th.

This thing's going to sell out almost instantly, so NoA is probably finalizing pre-sale allocation numbers for each retailer. Hopefully Amazon gives consumers a heads-up on when they open their pre-orders.

That's why I'm hoping they haven't opened up preorders yet. Would be awful if around November and they didn't have enough.

Anyone with any sense who is concerned about that would use homebrew on their Wii U to back up all of their digital games to their PC (literally just click a link on www.loadiine.ovh in the browser, and it loads the homebrew menu from SD. No console modification needed and no traces left).

I've backed up ALL of my purchases on my Wii, Wii U and 3DS. If anything happens, or Nintendo fucks me over, I still have them. Forever.

A bit off-topic, but if you have a digital copy of, say, Pikmin 3, and your Wii U just refuses to turn on one day ten years from now, and you go buy a new console to replace it...can you restore the old Pikmin 3 to the new console and still have it play? Even if you can't transplant your NNID?

Virtual Console is a little less urgent because there are gobs of emulators to play the ROMs you can extract from your digital purchases, but for digital games, is this really that foolproof on Wii U?

Rich!

A bit off-topic, but if you have a digital copy of, say, Pikmin 3, and your Wii U just refuses to turn on one day ten years from now, and you go buy a new console to replace it...can you restore the old Pikmin 3 to the new console and still have it play? Even if you can't transplant your NNID?

Virtual Console is a little less urgent because there are gobs of emulators to play the ROMs you can extract from your digital purchases, but for digital games, is this really that foolproof on Wii U?

On the current firmware, yes. You have to load your games from the SD though currently - but that will change once a system level hack is done. Even so, you'll still have your games backed up for good.

But all it takes is just clicking on that one link and it boots up the homebrew loader from your SD via an exploit in mii maker. An app called DDD copies any title you own, including saves, to your PC over WiFi.

There's a GAF thread about Wii U homebrew that's quite informative. If you have a DS VC game you can dump it to your PC, replace the ROM file inside the folder with literally any other DS game, copy it back and it will work flawlessly.

Somewhat related: I've been playing Soda Popinski and Bald Bull 2 in Punch-Out!! this weekend on a real Famicom and CRT, and on the N3DS VC, and I swear the latter has at least a frame or so of lag and is messing me up. I can't see playing this specific title on the Mini through an HDTV.

They already announced the date.

It's out November 11th.

Of course I know that, I was referring to them announcing the date Amazon pre-orders go live that way we don't have a repeat of the Toys R' Us pre orders. What else would I be tired of waiting for in this thread?

AgeEighty

Somewhat related: I've been playing Soda Popinski and Bald Bull 2 in Punch-Out!! this weekend on a real Famicom and CRT, and on the N3DS VC, and I swear the latter has at least a frame or so of lag and is messing me up. I can't see playing this specific title on the Mini through an HDTV.

Depends on how laggy your HDTV is.

Of course I know that, I was referring to announcing the date pre-orders go live that way we don't have a repeat of the Toys R' Us pre orders. What else would I be tired of waiting for in this thread?

That's not what you said though; you called out Nintendo. Why would they be responsible for announcing Amazon's pre-order date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom