• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

sörine

Banned
7 N64 games on Rare Replay.

........6 on Wii U.

So ONE.
Wii U has the better games (so far even) anyway.

Blast Corps
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Perfect Dark

versus

Donkey Kong 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Super Mario 64

plus likely in the future

1080* Snowboarding
Bomberman Hero
Cruis'n USA
Custom Robo V.2 (Japan only)
F-Zero X
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Japan only, trollololol)
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Sin & Punishment: Earth Successor
Star Fox 64
Super Smash Bros.
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

I sort of wonder if we'll see any other additional games beyond what Wii saw like Mario Party 3, Pilotwings 64 or Excite Bike 64? And maybe some extra 3rd party N64 games? Both Capcom and Konami seem fairly enthusiastic on Wii U VC and have some stuff I wouldn't mind seeing (Goemon, Castlevania, RE2, MM64, Rakuga Kids, Star Soldier, more Bomberman, etc). It's too bad SE sucks so bad, I'd love to get Mischief Makers and some Puzzle Bobble on there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't believe we never got Mario Party 3. The original, I'm not surprised because they don't want a repeat of people palm-rubbing the analog stick.

I seriously wish Konami would add the Goemon N64 games, but I've heard there's been some issue of games that use the memory pak instead of saving on the cartridge?

maxcriden

sörine;174064401 said:
Wii U has the better games (so far even) anyway.

Blast Corps
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Perfect Dark

versus

Donkey Kong 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Super Mario 64

I'll just add that these games, although better than what's in Rare Replay (IMO), do suffer from that pesky darkness filter. All the more reason to stick with the Wii Shop, even when using Wii U, when it comes to NES/64 games. :/

Just for the heck of it....

Paper Mario > Ocarina > Kirby 64 > SM64 > Mario Tennis > DK64

Man. That was tough. I wonder if Ocarina goes above Paper Mario for me. Tough call.

sörine

Banned
Ugh, the dark filter. Thanks for reminding me Max. :[

For some reason it didn't bother me on Mario 64 or OOT, but both Paper Mario and Kirby look so drab with it. NX save us!

maxcriden

sörine;174065289 said:
Ugh, the dark filter. Thanks for reminding me Max. :[

For some reason it didn't bother me on Mario 64 or OOT, but both Paper Mario and Kirby look so drab with it. NX save us!

Sorry, I can't help but voice my displeasure with that bizarre filter. It's like squinting at N64 games. Wii VC looked plenty good. I'm sticking to that whenever it looks better or has a game not available on Wii U VC, so...most of the time really. :/

Mario 64 I think is so bright by default. I didn't really notice the filter w/ DK 64 if it had it. So I dunno. But I'd say PM and Kirby have more dark environs by default and more muted or complex colors in some areas of the game, so I think that plays a role. Hmm. I don't know what the deal is with Ocarina, though. I remember plenty of dark sections in the game. I would've though Under the Well was tough enough to see in the original, let alone with a dark filter.

Simbabbad

The "Vertical Screens" layout doesn't disable buttons, but it does rotate the d-pad 90 degrees to match the screen on the gamepad. The Pro Controller is completely disabled so you can't use that either.
I was sure there would be something like this. And I guess you can't change it in the control options?

If you're using an LCD screen, the risk of burn in is essentially non-existent. Besides, black bars are actually worse for LCD screens than the DS border anyway. The neutral color of an LCD screen is white, not black. Even if you do somehow manage to get burn-in to happen on an LCD screen, it's usually fixable.
Hm, that doesn't fit at all what I read elsewhere...

sörine

Banned
OOT has a generally muted palette, so does DK64 actually, so maybe that's why. Paper Mario and Kirby 64 are softer and lighter (but not bright like Mario 64) which is probably why the filter makes them look so bad in particular.

And yes the N64 filter pisses me off to no end. It's almost as bad as the NES filter, which is both dark AND blurry for some reason. So awful, and I still don't understand how SNES (and NES on 3DS) managed to escape it.

Experien

Really wish Body Harvest and Blast Corps came to Wii U VC but i know it won't happen :(

Any consensus on Kokuga? Very tempted...

jholmes

I seriously wish Konami would add the Goemon N64 games, but I've heard there's been some issue of games that use the memory pak instead of saving on the cartridge?

They do, but for all we know the new emulator supports that. No first-party games used the Memory Pak except Mario Kart 64 I think, so there's no way to know yet.

Even if it doesn't, with proper save states now it's not a huge deal.

jholmes

From Kotaku, about Rare Replay

http://kotaku.com/rare-replay-the-kotaku-review-1721781195

Fun fact: thanks to this collection, there are now more Nintendo 64 classics available to play on Xbox One than there are on the “virtual console” service on Nintendo’s own Wii U console. Shameful, Nintendo. Shameful.

:|

HEY GUYS DID YOU KNOW MICROSOFT DOES WHAT NINTENDONT IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAT I'LL KEEP TELLING YOU EVERY DAY AND CALL IT NEWS

I am all for criticizing the Virtual Console for falling short because it does, and inexcusably so, but holy shit Totilo this just comes across as whining. I mean you're the EIC of Kotaku for fuck sake, call up Nintendo (or Konami and Square! Please!) and ask them what the hell is going on. Don't just rage impotently about this, do your job!

(Rant over.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
sörine;174064401 said:
plus likely in the future

How long have NA GAF been saying that about Zero Mission?

I disagree with your premise, but nothing is "likely" with Nintendo at the helm.

sörine

Banned
How long have NA GAF been saying that about Zero Mission?

I disagree with your premise, but nothing is "likely" with Nintendo at the helm.
Most first party N64 games will make it over from Wii, like with NES and SNES. That's not really a worry at this point. It's more a matter of when.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like the US is getting the Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden Demo this week as well. I THINK if you have save data from the demo when you get the full game, it gives you a free character (SS4 Vegeta, I think?).

Another download thread another month of bitching about games you've already played.

Have fun whining, I'll be enjoying Beat Buddy, Factotum and a handful of other awesome looking games that I've never played before. ;P

BooJoh

I was sure there would be something like this. And I guess you can't change it in the control options?
There are no control options, I'm assuming this is because Wii U has the same basic layout as a DS, just with the addition of two analogs and ZL/ZR (which also cannot be mapped as L/R.)

Heh, perfect game for playing on the gamepad.

edit: Man, all the misinformation in the Xenoblade thread is bringing me down. Every other post is something about either 50Hz or no Gamepad support. They don't even question it, which would be perfectly normal, but they declare it as fact. I'm out, that's enough passive ignorance and willing stupidity for one morning.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Pokemaniac

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As the thread in Gaming Discussion states, Onimusha Tactics and Golden Sun: The Lost Age have been rated by ESRB.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Meanwhile, EU just got Xenoblade (Wii) on the eShop.

.....oh & a demo for Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water on Oct. 30th. Wouldn't be surprised if US got the demo as well.

TheMoon

.....oh & a demo for Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water on Oct. 30th. Wouldn't be surprised if US got the demo as well.

They'll do the exact same thing for NA, same date even. That is such a safe bet (it always was ..because Halloween^^), it ain't even funny. Only thing, they might not do the physical edition, maybe.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh AND if EU people buy Xenoblade on the eShop, they'll get a £9.00 discount for Xenoblade Chronicles if they download the game within 2 weeks of launch.

AAANNNNDDD they get a LE for Xenoblade Chronicles as well.

TheMoon

Oh AND if EU people buy Xenoblade on the eShop, they'll get a £9.00 discount for Xenoblade Chronicles if they download the game within 2 weeks of launch.

AAANNNNDDD they get a LE for Xenoblade Chronicles as well.

AAAAANND obnoxiously huge ratings logos on their LE game case :)

Robin64

Ugh, don't remind me. Got the Woolly World LE, so had to have that.

yoshis-woolly-world-bundle-yarn-yoshi-amiibo.png

Does it even need to be on there at all if it's ZERO?!

jmizzal

Wow Xenoblade, I hope NOA gives us FF on Oct 30th also

Yeah, those must be really annoying. What's the third one in the Xenoblade box, by the way? There's USK, Pegi, and...? USK takes more space than the other two combined but, hey, at least it's not rhombus-shaped anymore (there's no shape as kitsch as the rhombus).

TheMoon

Ugh, don't remind me. Got the Woolly World LE, so had to have that.

yoshis-woolly-world-bundle-yarn-yoshi-amiibo.png

Does it even need to be on there at all if it's ZERO?!

Parents need to know ... laws and such. Bla... :/

I bought the solo Yoshi and solo game to avoid this.

Yeah, those must be really annoying. What's the third one in the Xenoblade box, by the way? There's USK, Pegi, and...? USK takes more space than the other two combined but, hey, at least it's not rhombus-shaped anymore (there's no shape as kitsch as the rhombus).

the third one is either for Russia or NZ.

sörine

Banned
The Lost Age finally! I'm praying Zero Mission and Black Hole Rising aren't far behind then. And throw us Kururin too pls.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Parents need to know ... laws and such. Bla... :/

I bought the solo Yoshi and solo game to avoid this.

the third one is either for Russia or NZ.

I don't get what this Yoshi box conversation is about... is the bundle any different than buying an amiibo + the game?

TheMoon

I don't get what this Yoshi box conversation is about... is the bundle any different than buying an amiibo + the game?

No, hence why I said I bought the separately to avoid the dumb USK logo. This is all about the USK ratings logo ruining all special editions in Europe because they use the same special edition SKU for all EU countries.

daydream

Banned
call it complacency but i've totally gotten used to the big logo

my only anxiety these days is games not getting released here, even though that's gotten a lot better the last few years. will i ever get over that handful of cool wii games that we never got? doubtful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Picross e6, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, & Onimusha Tactics all confirmed for tomorrow for US.

Edit: Picross e6 only uses save date from e, e2, & e3? Why not e4 & e5?

call it complacency but i've totally gotten used to the big logo

Same here, I stopped caring a long time ago. It's really a non-issue. Would I like them gone? Yeah. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it anymore. 99% of the time I only see the spine anyway

Top Bottom