• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

maxcriden

Very cool that GS: TLA is coming out tomorrow. Used to really dig the games as a kid. (Tried GS again a few years ago and it was wayyyy too slow for me now. I really don't think I have the same interest in/patience for most turn-based games these days.) Anyway, the games are very good if you're into JRPGs and feature a ton of dialogue and good puzzle-y material so if those are your jam the game should be your bread and butter.

11.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want to hope that with e6 coming out, the previous Picross games will FINALLY be discounted....though watch as it'll only be the first three (i.e. the games that allow you to unlock more puzzles in e6) which I already have.

& now to hope that 3D Gunstar Heroes will be confirmed for next week.

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Super Smash Bros. DLC – Fans of the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games can now add even more fun with several free updates and new DLC for purchase on both versions. Free updates include a K.K. Slider costume for Mii Fighters, plus new Community Tournament and Regular Tournament modes and the ability to upload saved replays to YouTube. Players can also purchase new Mii Fighter costumes, from Samus’ Armor to an SSB-logo Hoodie, as well as Peach’s Castle and Hyrule Castle stages from the original Nintendo 64 version of the game. For full details, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.

Wii U

New Splatoon Update – The Splatoon game for the Wii U console just got a massive free content update. The update includes two new modes: Squad Battle and Private Battle. Squad Battle lets players create a squid squad with friends and head into Ranked Battle modes together, while Private Battle lets two to eight friends battle together in customizable matches. There are also new weapons, level-cap increases, more than 40 new types of gear and more to come throughout the rest of the summer. For more details, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – Experience a new story with a fixed party, voiced dialogue and animated cut scenes in the incredible world of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight. Or revisit the original Etrian Odyssey 2 game with updated graphics and a full roster of classes. Whichever path you choose, there will be exciting dungeons and frightening enemies! Click here to view a trailer for the game.
Pokémon Rumble World Update Bonus – Download the latest version of the Pokémon Rumble World game for your Nintendo 3DS system today! Once you do, you’ll be able to visit a new area and get bonus items. First, take a ride on the newly added Lucky Balloon. It will take you to a mysterious area called Changing Land, where you’re more likely to meet Pokémon you haven’t yet caught. The Lucky Balloon will be added to the hot air balloons available in the shop. It’s free, but you’ll need to have reached Adventure Rank 40 to ride on it. Enter the following password into your game to receive 100 Poké Diamonds after you update: 48213190. You have to reach Adventure Rank 4 before you can enter the password. Click here for more details.

Virtual Console on Wii U

All throughout August, classic games for hard-core gamers are coming to the Virtual Console on Wii U, starting with these Game Boy Advance RPGs:

Golden Sun: The Lost Age – It is the dawn of a new age. The heroes of Golden Sun have been abandoned, and the land is falling into darkness. Now the world’s final hope may also be its doom. Manipulate the environment with psychic energy and fell whatever beast stands in your way to safeguard humanity before the heroes of the original Golden Sun can stop you. Click here to view a trailer for the game.
ONIMUSHA TACTICS – Prepare to be thrust into massive, old world feudal battles in which every move is a struggle for power in this Game Boy Advance strategy game. Join Onimaru, a young Ogre Clan warrior on a mighty quest to defeat Nobunaga and his enemy Genma armies.

Nintendo eShop Sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Citizens of Earth on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is 66 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $4.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 17.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

GetClose: A game for RIVALS is 66 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $0.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 27.
Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones is 50 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $7.49) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.
Blok Drop U, Spikey Walls, TOSS N GO and more titles from RCMADIAX are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
Plenty of Fishies is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.
Tiny Galaxy is 33 percent off (reduced from $5.99 to $3.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on August 7 until 8:59 a.m. PT on September 30.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.
Brunch Panic, KAMI and Sweet Memories – Blackjack from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 27.

Activities:

Art Academy: Home Studio Art Contest – Enter the Art Academy: Home Studio art contest for your chance to win a $20 Nintendo eShop Card code! Upload a time-lapse video of your work to YouTube using the “Recordings” feature in the game and tweet us @NintendoAmerica with a link to your video and the hashtags #ContestEntry and #NintendoArtContest between Aug. 6 at 7 a.m. PT and Aug. 20 at 5 p.m. PT. Click here to view a video highlighting this contest.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Must be a legal resident of US (incl. DC) or Canada (excl. Quebec) 18+. Deadline: 8/20/15. 25 winners receive a Nintendo eShop Card code (ARV $20 ea). Additional terms and conditions apply. Click here for official rules. Sponsor: Nintendo of America Inc.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:
Aeternoblade
Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition

Price reduction:

A-Train 3D: City Simulator has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).
Shin Megami Tensei IV will be reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99) beginning at 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 10.

Also new this week:

Astral Breakers (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Kung Fu FIGHT! (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Best of Arcade Games – Brick Breaker (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Best of Arcade Games – Tetraminos (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Japanese Rail Sim 3D Journey to Kyoto – Full and Demo Versions (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
PICROSS e6 (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....so much for a Picross sale....*sigh*

Also, "All throughout August, classic games for hard-core gamers are coming to the Virtual Console on Wii U" is interesting.

maxcriden

....so much for a Picross sale....*sigh*

Also, "All throughout August, classic games for hard-core gamers are coming to the Virtual Console on Wii U" is interesting.

Yep! Wondering what else we might see here. Any ideas, all?

P.S. bizarre that Nintendo's own PICROSS e6 is listed under "also new" and doesn't get its own spotlight.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, it's not like it's a big-name game. Plus this is the SIXTH one, and it's a puzzle game. I'm not really surprised it's basically in the "oh hey this also came out today."

I wonder if that statement about the Wii U getting "classic games for hardcore gamers" this month is worthy enough of a thread.

Penguin

I'm curious about that "hard-core" line in the PR as well.

I mean if not gonna push VC hard often, why not make it a huge focus during slow periods.

Like think first summer of 3DS they did 8-Bit summer or w/e... wonder why never followed up on that

Do more stuff like MegaMay and the Kirby Birthday

sörine

Banned
Well, looking at NOA's own Wii U VC backlog vs NOE I'd expect a bunch of these:

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (GBA) Nintendo
Big Brain Academy (DS) Nintendo
Brain-Age (DS) Nintendo
Devil World (NES) Nintendo
Final Fight One (GBA) Capcom
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS) Nintendo
Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll (NES) Culture Brain
Flying Warriors (NES) Culture Brain
Kung Fu Heroes (NES) Culture Brain
Kurukuru Kururin (GBA) Nintendo
Little Ninja Brothers (NES) Culture Brain
Mappy-Land (NES) Bandai Namco
Mario's Super Picross (SNES) Nintendo
Mega Man Zero 4 (GBA) Capcom
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) Nintendo
Pop'n Twinbee (SNES) Konami
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures (SNES) Konami
River City Ransom (NES) Arc System Works
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GBA) Capcom
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival (GBA) Capcom

Plus games leaked by ratings boards or announced by publishers:

The Adventures of Bayou Billy (NES) Konami
Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX (GBA) Konami
Dig Dug II: Trouble in Paradise (NES) Bandai Namco
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES) Arc System Works
Drill Dozer (GBA) Nintendo
Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (GBA) Natsume
Hogan's Alley (NES) Nintendo
Metabots: Rokusho (GBA) Natsume
Metabots AX: Metabee Version (GBA) Natsume
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES) Bandai Namco
Pocky & Rocky with Becky ( GBA) Natsume
Polarium Advance (GBA) Nintendo
Tecmo Bowl (NES) Koei Tecmo
Wild Gunman (NES) Nintendo

Oh, oh, and the Wii games backlog:

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) Nintendo
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) Nintendo
Pandora's Tower (Wii) Nintendo
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (Wii) Nintendo
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) Nintendo
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) Nintendo

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A possible hint about the mood of this initiative are the first two games released "for hardcore gamers on Wii U eShop": Golden Sun TLA and Onimusha Tactics.

sörine

Banned
Onimusha Tactics just makes me wish we had Tactics Ogre KOL or FFTA. Dammit Square!

A possible hint about the mood of this initiative are the first two games released "for hardcore gamers on Wii U eShop": Golden Sun TLA and Onimusha Tactics.
They also highlighted the genre (RPG) which makes me wonder if we'll see similarly genred games together in the following weeks? Like a "fighting week" with River City Ransom and SSFTR or maybe an "action week" with Metroid ZM and MM Zero 4 or "strategy week" with Advance Wars 2 and Genghis Khan II?

Weebos

Banned
Does anybody know if they added/altered any Golden Sun functionality for importing your save file?

Or do we need to use the codes to go from GS1 to GS2 on Wii U?

maxcriden

sörine;174406839 said:
Well, looking at NOA's own Wii U VC backlog vs NOE I'd expect a bunch of these:

Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures (SNES) Konami

Oh, oh, and the Wii games backlog:

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) Nintendo
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) Nintendo
Pandora's Tower (Wii) Nintendo
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (Wii) Nintendo
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) Nintendo
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) Nintendo

Not too long ago I had it on good authority, unfortunately, that Rainbow Bell Adventures is not very likely to come stateside anytime soon. :/ Just another reason to eventually get a JP or PAL SF/SNES to play a few games on that we missed out on here in NA.

I would think S&P and XC are likely picks as hardcore games.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, unfortunately, is rarely recognized as the hardcore game it is. Just try to get gold medals on all the levels and get all the hidden items. Seriously. (We're still working on it ourselves. There's one level towards the end of the game, in particular, that's brutally difficult.

sörine

Banned
Not too long ago I had it on good authority, unfortunately, that Rainbow Bell Adventures is not very likely to come stateside anytime soon. :/ Just another reason to eventually get a JP or PAL SF/SNES to play a few games on that we missed out on here in NA.
Figured as much. 50hz is probably a deal breaker for bringing the PAL version and NOA seems super reluctant to bother with Japanese versions these days for whatever reason.

Wii games are not VC. This statement was about VC.
I always agree with this except NOA did refer to a Wii game as Virtual Console last week. They opened the door arguably.

Golden Sun is great. One day, we'll get downloadable GBA games on 3DS. One day.
3DS VC seems done sadly. I'm never getting VBVC. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, rather disappointing we haven't gotten any VC titles on 3DS lately after the Donkey Kong Land games were added.

maxcriden

sörine;174412260 said:
Figured as much. 50hz is probably a deal breaker for bringing the PAL version and NOA seems super reluctant to bother with Japanese versions these days for whatever reason.

Yeah, I wish I could find the message in my PM box here with the rationale for why it's probably not coming. I was just looking for it but no dice, maybe I'll find it later. Anyway, yeah, I was bummed about that and it does seem like there's less and less interest in JP import games being released on VC. I do wonder how well games like DoReMi sold on Wii VC.

sörine;174412260 said:

Yeah, rather disappointing we haven't gotten any VC titles on 3DS lately after the Donkey Kong Land games were added.

To be fair, is there much first party output left to release?

TheMoon

sörine;174412260 said:

Virtual Boy VC was never going to happen anyway. There is exactly one good game on VB and they'd either remake that completely or not bother at all. Even more clearly than how GCN downloads/VC was never going to happen on Wii U.

sörine

Banned
To be fair, is there much first party output left to release?
Kirby Tilt N Tumble! It'd take a little more work than the usual release but I'd love it.

There's a couple other titles I wish they'd have released too yet. Earthbound Beginnings, Lolo 2-3, Star Tropics 1-2, Nintendo World Cup, Tetris DX, Pokémon Pinball, probably some others that are slipping my mind.

sörine

Banned
Virtual Boy VC was never going to happen anyway. There is exactly one good game on VB and they'd either remake that completely or not bother at all. Even more clearly than how GCN downloads/VC was never going to happen on Wii U.
As if "good" was ever a barometer for NCL. How many times are they going to try and sell me Urban Champion?

TheMoon

sörine;174416181 said:
As if "good" was ever a barometer for NCL. How many times are they going to try and sell me Urban Champion?

When only 22 games exist for the platform, it matters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, forgot about Tilt 'n Tumble, but I think the problem is it'd only work on the 2DS because if you try to "flip" the system to make Kirby jump, you might make it so the top screen's position shifts becausey you used enough force to make the hinges move.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Given the amount of Nintendo 64 games we've seen on the Virtual Console, the number of games a platform can provide does not seem to matter much. It is of course no surprise that Virtual Boy has not become something they've looked into though. At best, we could hope for some sort of Wario Land VB remastering at retail, or premium eShop release.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wario Land HD Collection? 1, 2, 3, 4, & VB?

......now I want Shake It on the eShop as well.

TheMoon

Given the amount of Nintendo 64 games we've seen on the Virtual Console, the number of games a platform can provide does not seem to matter much. It is of course no surprise that Virtual Boy has not become something they've looked into though. At best, we could hope for some sort of Wario Land VB remastering at retail, or premium eShop release.

Number of "good" games + general platform success = obvious reason why no VB VC ever

N64 is hugely popular, available games are some of the most important ever.
VB has ...Wario Land......................?

sörine;174418440 said:
3D Classics Urban Champion. Again, a limited number of releases doesn't seem to inact your imaginary Nintendo quality threshold.

They were gonna do more and then stopped because it wasn't as successful as they hoped and too resource intensive to keep going.

LayLa

have Nintendo EU said what the XCX eshop price will be? because "£9 off" is not that helpful if you don't know that the full price is.

sörine

Banned
In addition to Virtual Boy, I'd love to see Pokémon mini on 3DS VC. :3

They were gonna do more and then stopped because it wasn't as successful as they hoped and too resource intensive to keep going.
Only six releases were ever planned. Six slots to prove project viability and they gave one to Urban Champion. Seal of Quality in action right there.

If the above games are any indication for what's to come this month, it seems likely they'll release Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen and Ogre Battle 64.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sörine;174419118 said:
In addition to Virtual Boy, I'd love to see Pokémon mini on 3DS VC. :3

Only six releases were ever planned. Six slots to prove project viability and they gave one to Urban Champion. Seal of Quality in action right there.

When series 2 launches on the next platform we'll surely see Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong Jr Math 3D Classics.

Benedict

I want to hope that with e6 coming out, the previous Picross games will FINALLY be discounted....though watch as it'll only be the first three (i.e. the games that allow you to unlock more puzzles in e6) which I already have.

& now to hope that 3D Gunstar Heroes will be confirmed for next week.

Also waiting for a sale. If I should buy one Picross, should I start with e6 and continue to hope for a sale of the earlier or just buy one of the first releases?

Any difference in content/value?

Top Bottom