• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

Xeodrifter is good so far; I beat two bosses so far.

I was about to be in total love with the game, but it ended up not amounting to anything.

I picked the pink planet first and there's a giant monster right form the start that one hit kills you with a screen filling laser (cont. in spoiler tag below).

It turns out, if you are insane, you can actually kill it right from the start. This made me go nuts, because I thought I was going to get something or see something early because of my perseverance (or insanity). Unfortunately, there was nothing behind it but a locked door for later.

Beyond that, progress so far seems rather linear, despite an openness to the world. Hopefully there's a little wiggle room for eager explorers at some point.

The question is a bit long winded but none the less added to the list.
Haha, you can edit it down to make sense, it was actually more sleepy ramblings and not really meant to submit to them. But I'd like to see what they say now.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I was about to be in total love with the game, but it ended up not amounting to anything.

I picked the pink planet first and there's a giant monster right form the start that one hit kills you with a screen filling laser (cont. in spoiler tag below).

It turns out, if you are insane, you can actually kill it right from the start. This made me go nuts, because I thought I was going to get something or see something early because of my perseverance (or insanity). Unfortunately, there was nothing behind it but a locked door for later.

Beyond that, progress so far seems rather linear, despite an openness to the world. Hopefully there's a little wiggle room for eager explorers at some point.

Yeah, it's very linear so far. I posted in the Xeodrifter thread, but my first impressions came across pretty pessimistic. I'm still hopeful the game can surprise me.

Did not like the three hit points to start, especially with no way to replenish your health
until you find a health upgrade, or before a boss fight.
Luckily that changes pretty quickly, but not before some frustration sets in IMO.

Spy Chameleon and Shantae and Pirate's Curse on the same day? I didn't even realize Spy Chameleon was for this year. Going to pick up both on the Christmas , I hope. :D

Glass Joe

So apparently there's 2 South Park pinball tables out today for Zen 2, along with a Venom one and 4 new "basic" ones. I kind of see why 3rd parties complain about the DLC situation on Wii U. There's no way to know that there's something new in the shop, I had to read it from a Miiverse post. They should really make a "New DLC" thing to put above title listings like they do for "New" and "Sale" games.

Stupid SD card transfer. So now I find out title.db and import.db say what the 3DS has on it, not the content folders itself. It basically means my new SD card is now carrying around a load of deadweight demos I can not delete (as they don't show up in the data management). So I have to compare the stupidly named folders on the old SD to work out what to delete from the new SD card. I even tried deleting the .db files (you do a trick like that on the Wii to make it re-arrange the SD card folder).

tl;dr: When making backups of a 3DS SD card there is no point thinking you can delete something for when you have a bigger card.

Also all my games are in now in wrapping paper which is amusing.

Any reason to get the old Tetris over the new Tetris (Ultimate) on 3DS?
Old Tetris will be gone at the end of the month (that is Tetrix Axis and the GB VC version) and apparently people don't like Tetris Ultimate.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Xeo is like OG Metroid. Short, hard, linear, and obtuse with some random questionable design changes.

Still love the shit out of this though, but I still love the OG Metroid which most people dispise.

TheMoon

Xeo is like OG Metroid. Short, hard, linear, and obtuse with some random questionable design changes.

Still love the shit out of this though, but I still love the OG Metroid which most people dispise.

you just unsold me on Xeodrifter with the OG Metroid comparison.

n64coder

The Russian eShop is incredible. Switched to it and bought a bunch of games and made out like a bandit.

Not interested in doing this but I'm curious how it works. Which region 3DS do you have? How much cheaper are games? Are they all in Russian?

SerTapTap

Kinda the same TBH. One of my favorite parts of Axiom Verge is the look of old metroid and a bit more modern design gameplay/exploration-wise. After Super I can't go back to the original, that's why I'm waiting on Zero Mission. Though Xeodrifter at least probably doesn't have passwords...

maxcriden

....As for me, I realized I only like the OG Metroid and II in the Metroid series. So I sold off my Metroid collection. I liked Super decently too, but not quite as well. It lost some of the feeling of not knowing anything.

Robin64

Really enjoying Pokemon Pinball R&S so far, despite being absolutely awful at pinball games.

Had one go of each table and I've caught 8 out of 200 Pokemon so far. This could take a while, especially if they repeat which I expect they do!

terrisus

....As for me, I realized I only like the OG Metroid and II in the Metroid series. So I sold off my Metroid collection. I liked Super decently too, but not quite as well. It lost some of the feeling of not knowing anything.

That sums me up pretty good as well - although I would say I like Super Metroid a bit more than you seem to, but otherwise.

zroid

Banned
Really enjoying Pokemon Pinball R&S so far, despite being absolutely awful at pinball games.

Had one go of each table and I've caught 8 out of 200 Pokemon so far. This could take a while, especially if they repeat which I expect they do!

That game is a gem. I would argue the best Pokémon spinoff.

Wake up, NoA!

BearChair

How is the Steel Empire remake for 3DS? Worth $15 on sale? That still feels like a hefty price for a essentially game I played 20+ years ago

I'm also curious if Steel Empire is any good. I never played the original but tend to be lukewarm on shooters. The graphics looked pretty impressive, though. At $5, I'd just blind buy it, but $15 is still a bit steep to purchase a game I'm on the fence about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Haha, you can edit it down to make sense, it was actually more sleepy ramblings and not really meant to submit to them. But I'd like to see what they say now.

I may do this.

cacildo

Got Armillo because its on sale. The game is... um... well... ill try more levels later before givin an opinion

But where is out of this world sale? I didnt find it on the canadian eshop

Vanillalite

Kinda the same TBH. One of my favorite parts of Axiom Verge is the look of old metroid and a bit more modern design gameplay/exploration-wise. After Super I can't go back to the original, that's why I'm waiting on Zero Mission. Though Xeodrifter at least probably doesn't have passwords...

It's probably my favorite 3ds eShop game of the year, but I don't want people to get the wrong impression.

This isn't a Metroidvania game or even a Super Metroid game. This is very much a homage to the OG Metroid.

Controls are great. Graphics are great. Music is great. Just like the OG Metroid. I'd still say go for it at $10 since it's not $15, but I can understand why people might wait for a sale.

TheMoon

It's probably my favorite 3ds eShop game of the year, but I don't want people to get the wrong impression.

This isn't a Metroidvania game or even a Super Metroid game. This is very much a homage to the OG Metroid.

Controls are great. Graphics are great. Music is great. Just like the OG Metroid. I'd still say go for it at $10 since it's not $15, but I can understand why people might wait for a sale.

But that's the worst part about OG Metroid! That's the exact thing I can't stand about it. Of course they are functional but it feels terrible to me. Is Xeodrifter this slow and hard to get around in, too? Does the weapon have reach? How is the mobility? The feeling of the player controls is the only thing keeping me from loving Metroid 1. If that game "felt" like Super then I'd be all over it.

daydream

Banned
Old Tetris will be gone at the end of the month (that is Tetrix Axis and the GB VC version) and apparently people don't like Tetris Ultimate.

sörine;142980925 said:
$10 vs $30

Hudson (RIP) vs Ubisoft

The new Tetris is 20€ over here which is kinda crazy (usually, the € price matches the $ in number which is a pretty scandalous practice that everyone has come to accept).

Anyway, thanks but I'm aware of the factual circumstances but I was wondering about quality. The new one being supposedly worse than the original doesn't bode well since I don't remember much praise (but rather the opposite) for Axis.

TheMoon

The new Tetris is 20€ over here which is kinda crazy (usually, the € price matches the $ in number which is a pretty scandalous practice that everyone has come to accept).

Anyway, thanks but I'm aware of the factual circumstances but I was wondering about quality. The new one being supposedly worse than the original doesn't bode well since I don't remember much praise (but rather the opposite) for Axis.

Yup, all I remember reading about Tetris Axis was that it sucked and that Tetris DS and Tetris GB still remain untouched.

SerTapTap

Tetris DS was great if that's an acceptable substitute for you. Lots of really fun modes and good Nintendo fan service. Really liked the Catch mode. Also, you can finally "win" classic tetris. There's also an endless mode, of course.

zroid

Banned
I don't think Tetris Axis was particularly disliked. It was just agreed that it was worse than Tetris DS (of course, because that's the GOAT Tetris), and then others prefer GB Tetris since it's simple and lacks infinite spin for the traditionalists.

When they dropped Tetris Axis on the eShop for 10 bucks that was a big hit, I believe.

daydream

Banned
I own (GOA)Tetris DS already, m8s.

Only interest I have in the 3DS iterations is predicated on potential new modes and online VS. (RIP Nintendo Wi-Fi).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
But that's the worst part about OG Metroid! That's the exact thing I can't stand about it. Of course they are functional but it feels terrible to me. Is Xeodrifter this slow and hard to get around in, too? Does the weapon have reach? How is the mobility? The feeling of the player controls is the only thing keeping me from loving Metroid 1. If that game "felt" like Super then I'd be all over it.

Mobility is great, but the game lacks 8 way shooting which would have greatly helped. Weapon shoots fine, but is weak to start.

Biggest problem is you only have 3 health points at the start, so you can't take many chances early on.

terrisus

The new Tetris is 20€ over here

bchS1f3.jpg

This is actually my favorite Tetris >.>

yaesir

Rage of the gladiator is on sale for $3.29, is it worth it? It came out a while ago but I pretty much skipped it.

Vanillalite

Worst part of the OG Metroid for most people was the idea that it was obtuse as fuck with no map while simultaneously being hard (for some) with a respawn back the beginning of Norfair or Brainstar with only 30 HP no matter how many energy tanks you had.

This game at least at first gives you not much life, you can't collect more to refill, and if you die you start back at the beginning of the planet. Granted if you get a new energy tank you're life fills up though.

That'll be the main sticking point for most other than maybe the length.

On another note 3d in this game is boss as fuck. A++!

Rage of the gladiator is on sale for $3.29, is it worth it? It came out a while ago but I pretty much skipped it.

It's Punch Out!! with lite RPG mechanics and a Roman Coliseum skin. It's probably one of the better games on the eShop, honestly.

I just bought 99 Seconds and Shuttle Rush, because why the hell not?

terrisus

Terrisus please

that's not even the best Tetris on N64

Tetrisphere breh

Tetrisphere is indeed awesome.

Also, special recognition to the Japan-only Tetris 64, with the included Bio-Sensor.
I actually imported that a few years back, since the idea of the speed the pieces fall at increasing with your pulse is very interesting.
Sadly, even running in place to purposely increase my pulse, the speed of the pieces doesn't increase enough to really matter.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Not interested in doing this but I'm curious how it works. Which region 3DS do you have? How much cheaper are games? Are they all in Russian?
I have a European 3DS without a NNID shackle. You just change your region to Russia (as long as you don't have a NNID) and then you can enter their eShop. (although the store is in Russian) My debit card worked without issues.
The games are around 30-50% cheaper over there. There's a message at the top of each game's storepage that says the game is in English or something like that. I only bought games that I knew were English only but I'd double check before buying something I'm unsure of.

VandalD

It's Punch Out!! with lite RPG mechanics and a Roman Coliseum skin. It's probably one of the better games on the eShop, honestly.
I bought it last time it was on sale. It's not bad. Much like Punch-Out, you have to keep an eye out for your opponent's tells and dodge their incoming attacks and counter attack, or attack them just before they hit you. If you're wanting a first-person swords, magic, and mythology Punch-Out-alike, yeah, grab it for that price.

maxcriden

Tetris DS was great if that's an acceptable substitute for you. Lots of really fun modes and good Nintendo fan service. Really liked the Catch mode. Also, you can finally "win" classic tetris. There's also an endless mode, of course.

I own (GOA)Tetris DS already, m8s.

Only interest I have in the 3DS iterations is predicated on potential new modes and online VS. (RIP Nintendo Wi-Fi).

Haha, I was going to say TapTap, I hope you realize you're talking to the greatest Tetris DS fan of all time. ;)

daydream

Banned
Haha, I was going to say TapTap, I hope you realize you're talking to the greatest Tetris DS fan of all time. ;)

I don't know why but you just reminded me of that one time I had a 4+ hour game going. I basically woke up on a Saturday, maybe around 9 and I just kept going and kept going. There were a handful of moments where I come close to losing it but I persevered. After 4 hours, I was totally in the flow, managing the influx of tetrominos with a rare determination and ferocity, going through those hot Nintendo themes (look at Bowser there, spinning, doing what Bowser do, man this music just keeps going huh) keeping the stack low, racking up those tetrises, racking up the big scores, not.. noticing a red light on my DS....

..yeeeup.

That day, something inside me died.

maxcriden

I don't know why but you just reminded me of that one time I had a 4+ hour game going. I basically woke up on a Saturday, maybe around 9 and I just kept going and kept going. There were a handful of moments where I come close to losing it but I persevered. After 4 hours, I was totally in the flow, managing the influx of tetrominos with a rare determination and ferocity, going through those hot Nintendo themes (look at Bowser there, spinning, doing what Bowser do, man this music just keeps going huh) keeping the stack low, racking up those tetrises, racking up the big scores, not.. noticing a red light on my DS....

..yeeeup.

That day, something inside me died.

Ah, that's brutal. I'm sorry dd. Man. I've been there, though. No example is coming to mind at the moment but I'm sure I've been in that same kind of position, especially with battery-powered handhelds as a kid. :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
In any possible scenario (ex: they kept ownership of the localization work, like how Working Designs does with their releases), they would still need to work with Square-Enix for a Virtual Console release. And if Square-Enix is okay with them releasing these two, why not the other two at that point?

Natsume doesn't want to release anything they don't already own the rights to, and S-E doesn't seem to want to release anything of their own initiative but is happy to collect money from licensees like Natsume if it means they don't have to do anything.

Top Bottom