• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pocky & Rocky with Becky (GBA) for Wii U VC has been rated by the Australian classification board

Pocky_%26_Rocky_with_Becky_Cover.jpg
OMG, I wanted to play this for so long, as I have vague memories of playing the SNES game and not getting very far (I think the 2nd or 3rd stage where you're on a raft). I really hope this means the SNES game is coming as well. How was the GBA version?

So GAF, in preparation for Tetris Axis' removal from the eShop, I'm HIGHLY considering purchasing it.

How is it? It's by Hudson and I think was their not only last game ever, but also they ended it with the best company to do so; Nintendo, as Nintendo published it in NA.

Oh and Bomberman cameos in it! :D

But anyway, this sort of game basically demands being digital if possible, and it's $10 says Nintendo.com.

Anyone able to compare it to Tetris Party which I heard was really well liked? Apparently Tetris Party Deluxe wasn't just a retail conversion but had a different composer (who did Axis as well) a different designer (again also worked on Axis).

I only ever played the GB original on my 3DS. But I'm in the mood to go for it, especially as it's Hudson's swan song and Nintendo is really the definitive Tetris company (hey the ex-President of NOA and Yamauchi's son-in-law is/was at Tetris Online after all!)

Quoting my post as well for the new page, got COMEPLETELY bypassed! :(

maxcriden

Here's a typical luddite question from me. If I were to purchase Wii Mode VC games through my Wii U, am I remembering correctly that there's an internal memory limit for Wii Mode, i.e. much less than what's available on the HD? Or, is the number of available blocks for download based on the internal HD of the Wii U? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

terrisus

Here's a typical luddite question from me. If I were to purchase Wii Mode VC games through my Wii U, am I remembering correctly that there's an internal memory limit for Wii Mode, i.e. much less than what's available on the HD?

Yes

Or, is the number of available blocks for download based on the internal HD of the Wii U?

No

Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes

No
problem =)

tuffy

Here's a typical luddite question from me. If I were to purchase Wii Mode VC games through my Wii U, am I remembering correctly that there's an internal memory limit for Wii Mode, i.e. much less than what's available on the HD? Or, is the number of available blocks for download based on the internal HD of the Wii U? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!
Though the Wii has its own dedicated memory, as mentioned, you can also transfer software to an SD card and play it from there (with a slight loading delay).

terrisus

Though the Wii has its own dedicated memory, as mentioned, you can also transfer software to an SD card and play it from there (with a slight loading delay).

And man was that ever a wonderful day when they finally enabled that.
No more fridge juggling!

dDXmu5E.gif

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
The internal Wii memory is about 2000 blocks/256 MB if I recall correctly.

Contemplating on buying Tetris (Axis), but I have to check out Ultimate and see what people think of that before. Pass on Tetris GB though.

Glass Joe

Bought this on a whim this past Saturday:

Nyko-Pro-Charge-Station-U-i.jpg

20 bucks was worth it alone just for the battery packs for the Wiimotes.

I Recommend it just for the battery packs

It's called the Nyko Pro Charge Station.

Dude, you might wanna save your receipt. I was looking for new amiibos today at a store (no luck) and saw this and figured "Hey, why not, I think this is what some dude on GAF mentioned and I'm tired of changing Wiimote batteries..."

So I get home, start charging, and all looks to be fine. Then I google some reviews and people are saying that it isn't designed properly -- the Wii U's AC adapter will trip if more than one thing's charging at a time & the only way to fix is by unplugging the AC adapter from the wall to reset it. And sure enough, with a little testing, that's already happened (with only the Gamepad and one Wiimote in the dock). Happened within two hours - I'm taking this junk back. Maybe if I can find one that's just for the Wiimotes, that'll be fine, but I think most will find this too unsightly to use just for Wii remotes (and since you'd need to keep using the AC adaptor for the gamepad too, terribly inconvienient).

Sorry kinda off topic but I needed to reply to this post in case others are considering!

BooJoh

Steel Empire - I've only played through one level so far but it's fun. A little harder than, say, Super R-Type on Normal difficulty but you don't die in one hit so it balances out. Gorgeous graphics, great 3D effect. The ability to shoot both forward and backward without fiddling with turning around or detaching pods feels unique. I'm already going to go out on a limb and say if you're into the genre this is probably unique enough to be worth the sale price since it won't likely get any cheaper.

Xeodrifter is amazing. Combat is a little simple other than the bosses, it's pretty derivative of Metroid, but it's different enough to be completely unique. I particularly love the weapon system, where you can essentially enhance several aspects of your bullets (speed, power, rate of fire, wave, spread) and save 3 different combinations.

Anyone have any opinions on Another World 3DS vs. Wii U? I'm assuming it's not in 3D on 3DS, but I don't know if the graphics style will make HD that big of a deal.

Robin64

Anyone have any opinions on Another World 3DS vs. Wii U? I'm assuming it's not in 3D on 3DS, but I don't know if the graphics style will make HD that big of a deal.

Another World is a superb remaster, but sadly lacking the SNES soundtrack (though there are still two other soundtracks to pick from). The 3DS one doesn't have 3D, so if you have a Wii U then definitely best to get it on that unless you really want to play it outside of your house. The graphical style shines in HD, like how cartoons do. Lovely edges, everything so well defined.

TheMoon

You're stuck with the same ol' 512MB as if it were the original Wii system, yea.

Dude, you might wanna save your receipt. I was looking for new amiibos today at a store (no luck) and saw this and figured "Hey, why not, I think this is what some dude on GAF mentioned and I'm tired of changing Wiimote batteries..."

So I get home, start charging, and all looks to be fine. Then I google some reviews and people are saying that it isn't designed properly -- the Wii U's AC adapter will trip if more than one thing's charging at a time & the only way to fix is by unplugging the AC adapter from the wall to reset it. And sure enough, with a little testing, that's already happened (with only the Gamepad and one Wiimote in the dock). Happened within two hours - I'm taking this junk back. Maybe if I can find one that's just for the Wiimotes, that'll be fine, but I think most will find this too unsightly to use just for Wii remotes (and since you'd need to keep using the AC adaptor for the gamepad too, terribly inconvienient).

Sorry kinda off topic but I needed to reply to this post in case others are considering!

Hmm. I'm reading the Amazon reviews now.

I've had it for a week thus far and no power surges or issues with battery charging.

I'll do some testing today and if it's really bad, because I also don't like the gaudy bright blue light, I'll heed your advice to return it.

Strange, I thought Nyko products were relatively better third party peripherals.

Yuterald

Anyone got any thoughts on those G-Style games that are on sale? They look like little quirky Japanese games that I'd dig. Alien on the Run! Chain Blaster, Jump Trials, Crazy Construction, etc.?

Just bought the following so far this morning:

Xeodrifter
Steel Empire
The Legend of Dark Witch

Also, so excited to see the new Shantate drop on xmas morning on Wii U! Will be blasting that shit throughout the holidays!

maxcriden

Anyone got any thoughts on those G-Style games that are on sale? They look like little quirky Japanese games that I'd dig. Alien on the Run! Chain Blaster, Jump Trials, Crazy Construction, etc.?

Oh, I hear very good things about Alien on the Run! That reminds me, I have some copies to give away. I better contact Nintendo Everything....

Xeodrifter is so good. There's something nice about a game that doesn't treat me like a baby gamer, that doesn't put an arrow on the screen pointing you to the next destination and that doesn't start you off with six hundred HP with enemies doing ten damage.

Yuterald

Oh, I hear very good things about Alien on the Run! That reminds me, I have some copies to give away. I better contact Nintendo Everything....

I'll take a free copy, haha! =D

Xeodrifter is so good. There's something nice about a game that doesn't treat me like a baby gamer, that doesn't put an arrow on the screen pointing you to the next destination and that doesn't start you off with six hundred HP with enemies doing ten damage.

I'm super stoked to check this out today. I like Renegade's stuff, but usually not on the same level as say most of Wayforward's output. This looks/sounds like their best game to date though.

TheMoon

I seem to recall it was even less than that. Been awhile since I did the math though.

512MB is the official number. If there is a small amount reserved I don't know but overall that's the internal flash memory available on Wii and in Wii Mode.

daydream

Banned
Never played Pocky & Rocky on GBA (or knew about it, for that matter). Getting that for sure!

Also, wtf @ "with Becky" in the title, lol. Oh, the famous BECKY is in this? Woah!

Chrom

Pocky & Rocky with Becky was never released in Europe/Australia. Is that a first for GBA VC?

Sort of. It would be the first GBA game on Wii U VC that was never originally released in EU, but it's not the first GBA game that was never originally released everywhere. Japan actually has Kuru Kuru Kururin, which never saw a North American release (but did in Europe), and if we want to be technical, Advance Wars 1+2 was Japan-only as well, but both Advance Wars games were released worldwide separately anyway.

GBA releases on Wii U VC are seemingly prioritized by their viability for release in English-speaking countries. If they were never available in English, they just don't get released at all, at least for now. This is why I believe Nintendo skipped over releasing the first GBA Fire Emblem game (Binding Blade) because it's only available in Japanese.

I think GBA Pocky & Rocky is based more on the arcade version, not the SNES version, so it's more shooter/score than adventure.

Or I could be completely wrong, it's been a while since I've played either.

maxcriden

Last Wii question for now:

When we got our Wii from eBay more than seven years ago, it came with an SD card in the console. This didn't come installed by default, right? So, how d we use it for extra storage? When we try to access it from the Wii main menu, it says something abut how it can't be formatted or recgonized....

Thanks!

TheMoon

Last Wii question for now:

When we got our Wii from eBay more than seven years ago, it came with an SD card in the console. This didn't come installed by default, right? So, how d we use it for extra storage? When we try to access it from the Wii main menu, it says something abut how it can't be formatted or recgonized....

Thanks!

SD Cards were not included with the Wii, had to be bought separately. Format it on PC (FAT32) - if you want to (or have to) format it.

maxcriden

SD Cards were not included with the Wii, had to be bought separately. Format it on PC (FAT32) - if you want to (or have to) format it.

I have to format it to use it though, yes? FWIW I have a Mac. Also, wouldn't I need some kind of separate peripheral to use it with a computer?

Also, I lost a lot of weight years ago, please don't call me overweight ;___;

;)

TheMoon

I have to format it to use it though, yes? FWIW I have a Mac. Also, wouldn't I need some kind of separate peripheral to use it with a computer?

Also, I lost a lot of weight years ago, please don't call me overweight ;___;

;)

Sorry, I thought this thread was marked NTFS.

If there already was a card in there I would think it had been used by the previous owner. I don't know what's up with your card. SD Cards aren't Windows cards^^ ... if you have a card reader or a SD card slot on a notebook or whatever that's all you need. Hell, even a device like a camera that also connects via USB can be used as a makeshift card reader.

Maybe it's just broken :)

maxcriden

Sorry, I thought this thread was marked NTFS.

If there already was a card in there I would think it had been used by the previous owner. I don't know what's up with your card. SD Cards aren't Windows cards^^ ... if you have a card reader or a SD card slot on a notebook or whatever that's all you need. Hell, even a device like a camera that also connects via USB can be used as a makeshift card reader.

Maybe it's just broken :)

Ah, I'll use the camera then. Thanks!

(I had to look up NTFS, assumed it was "Not Too Fat Shaming")

GulAtiCa

Oh, that is interesting. Never realized that certain eShop sections are actually ranked on recent sales. The Price Drop and Indie section at very least. You can get a good idea of how games are doing this way. Usually you will see those that are new, popular, and on sale near the top. While games that are very old (even if great), bad games, and just games that are pricey and haven't had a sale for a while near bottom.

Steel Empire - I've only played through one level so far but it's fun. A little harder than, say, Super R-Type on Normal difficulty but you don't die in one hit so it balances out. Gorgeous graphics, great 3D effect. The ability to shoot both forward and backward without fiddling with turning around or detaching pods feels unique. I'm already going to go out on a limb and say if you're into the genre this is probably unique enough to be worth the sale price since it won't likely get any cheaper.

Xeodrifter is amazing. Combat is a little simple other than the bosses, it's pretty derivative of Metroid, but it's different enough to be completely unique. I particularly love the weapon system, where you can essentially enhance several aspects of your bullets (speed, power, rate of fire, wave, spread) and save 3 different combinations.

I do like the genre so I think I will pick up Steel Empire, thanks. I just downloaded Another World for Wii U since it's on sale. It is also on 3ds but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Anyone try Monster Shooter?

Does purchasing the Mario Kart 8 DLC packs count towards Digital Digital points? I'm trying to earn a few more eShop codes before the DX Digital promo ends.

terrisus

Oh, that is interesting. Never realized that certain eShop sections are actually ranked on recent sales. The Price Drop and Indie section at very least. You can get a good idea of how games are doing this way. Usually you will see those that are new, popular, and on sale near the top. While games that are very old (even if great), bad games, and just games that are pricey and haven't had a sale for a while near bottom.

Well, that's definitely interesting/good to know...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
sörine;143185906 said:
It's garbage. It wasn't made by Natsume either, they just licensed it for the US from someone (Altron?).

Hopefully the SNES games are coming too.

Ah yes, just a bit of a reminder if anybody still has a question for Natusme, be sure to post it by 8:00 PM EST tomorrow.

maxcriden

Ah yes, just a bit of a reminder if anybody still has a question for Natusme, be sure to post it by 8:00 PM EST tomorrow.

Natsume, would you ever consider licensing Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures from Konami for us poor North Americans who haven't been able to play this SNES VC classic since it never came here?

Top Bottom