• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

Zeeman

Is original Metroid worth playing these days, or should I wait it out until NOA decides to give us Zero Mission?

steveovig

Again, not worth the hassle imo, but to each their own.

I don't think it's a game worth spending that much time on, but it is worth experiencing.

I agree with you on it not being worth much time, to an extent. The most fun I did have was making my own map and then getting stuck in a spot with low energy and hard enemies. I gave up after that but I still look back on the fun of making the map. It's the only game I have done that with.

Zero Mission is way more fun though.

foltzie1

No. Get some graph paper and draw your own map.

PlayersGuide.jpg

I skipped the graph paper back in the day.

Orgen

Was there a special Christmas sale on the eshop last year? I think there was one (at least in the EU eshop) and I'm hopping for a new one this year to spend my DD points and buy more things before the DDP ends! :D

BooJoh

I want the Mario and ACNL Christmas home themes already. NOA really should get these things up more than a week before the holiday. It almost wouldn't be worth the price except I know I'll use them for a few weeks after Christmas and again next year.

Robin64

Can't believe how bad NoA are at getting themes up. By the time the Christmas stuff is out, it won't be Christmas. POINTLESS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Started FE, but didn't make it far. Was to sleepy and went to sleep. To be fair I played Smash instead before laying down with FE. Will play more tonight.

Still have $8 in eshop credit so hope we get something good this week!

sörine

Banned
Zero Mission has the original Metroid as an unlock. It is NES Classic style of every x vertical line of graphics are missing though.
Still looks better than the ugly blurry Wii U VC version though. There are screens on Japanese Miiverse and it's bright, clean and totally appealing.

terrisus

Kirby Superstar is the best Kirby game, but Kirby 64 is a close second, and the mixing of abilities is amazing and really needs to be done in every Kirby game going forward.

Also -

This was one of the best books ever in the NES days.
And I still love it <3

zroid

Banned
Kirby 64's ability mixing was such a great idea, and it was a ton of fun. Don't get why that hasn't been re-used or expanded upon after all these years. It's especially a shame because Kirby 64 as a whole was kind of half-assed aside from that...

SerTapTap

Is original Metroid worth playing these days, or should I wait it out until NOA decides to give us Zero Mission?

IMO no, if you respawn you're in for an eternity of health farming, no map, passwords (I guess you can use savestates now), not really as "metroidvania" as Super either. Waiting for Zero mission myself, could never get into Metroid after playing Prime and Super first. It's a pretty massive overhaul in every possible regard leaving Metroid only particularly worth playing for hardcore retro fans, people who MUST play every game in the series or people with nostalgia for it.

Robin64

I'd rather have Metroid run in Super Metroid (even without the map). NES Metroid just plays so shitty.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I give Metroid huge huge props for starting what it did, and Metroid is hands down one of my top series, but the first game is pretty bad.

daydream

Banned
Like everything else on DSiWare, this game is criminally underrated. Good stuff, just wish the touch screen game area had been bigger.

EDIT: Maybe I should replay it on my XL.

Not available in EU, sadly. I'd love to check it out.

JCho133

IMO no, if you respawn you're in for an eternity of health farming, no map, passwords (I guess you can use savestates now), not really as "metroidvania" as Super either. Waiting for Zero mission myself, could never get into Metroid after playing Prime and Super first. It's a pretty massive overhaul in every possible regard leaving Metroid only particularly worth playing for hardcore retro fans, people who MUST play every game in the series or people with nostalgia for it.

Yeah, I tried doing that but gave up. It just gets so damn stupid hard at some points (especially in Ripley's lair) even with the constant save states. It became just a chore I wanted to complete and eventually gave up.

Metroid 2 isn't too bad though as long as you look up a map online

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, so this is never easy to announce and I do want to thank you up front for the questions submitted but I regret to inform you all that the Natsume interview has been cancelled due to CeeCee getting the flu and everybody else at Natsume being unavailable due to the holiday. We are working on rescheduling everything but at this point it looks like the interview is going to place on April 1 due to commitments on my end. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause though I hope to eventually conduct this interview and the questions gathered here are still on file and are still planned on being used.

Edit: Right the Natsume interview has officially been rescheduled for April 1, 2015, it is a delay, but I for one am still looking forward to its eventual happening.

donny2112

I think DKL1 was an original game. But been a while since I've played it. I enjoyed that version.

Looking at the Wikipedia pages, it says all 3 GB DKL games are original just using DKC assets, but 2 uses the same stage names as the SNES game. Maybe that's what was making me think one of them was a straight port?

terrisus

Right, so this is never easy to announce and I do want to thank you up front for the questions submitted but I regret to inform you all that the Natsume interview has been cancelled due to CeeCee getting the flu and everybody else at Natsume being unavailable due to the holiday. We are working on rescheduling everything but at this point it looks like the interview is going to place on April 1 due to commitments on my end. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause though I hope to eventually conduct this interview and the questions gathered here are still on file and are still planned on being used.

Edit: Right the Natsume interview has officially been rescheduled for April 1, 2015, it is a delay, but I for one am still looking forward to its eventual happening.

Sorry to hear that.
Hope everyone's alright and everything works out.

Hopefully by then, we'll be talking about the Lufia games which have since been released in the US.
If not, it gives me plenty more time to think of creative ways to ask about them :þ

TheMoon

DKL 1 was basically its own game
DKL 2 and 3 were strange port-like creatures of DKC 2 and 3

DKL 2 & 3 were like those Mega Man GB games, based on the respective console version but with their own levels.

DKL 1 is completely unrelated to DKC 1, however. New locations (city!) and stuff.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Would DKL be worth playing now if you never played it when it came out and dont have the nostalgia for? I love the DKC games but a quick youtube of DKL would suggest visually it looks pretty harsh.

TheMoon

Would DKL be worth playing now if you never played it when it came out and dont have the nostalgia for? I love the DKC games but a quick youtube of DKL would suggest visually it looks pretty harsh.

I say no. I never liked DKL. I own all three DKL games on their original glorious yellow carts but I just hate playing them. They don't "feel" right.

maxcriden

I say no. I never liked DKL. I own all three DKL games on their original glorious yellow carts but I just hate playing them. They don't "feel" right.

I agree with this, at least for the first DKL as I think that's the only one I've played. Frankly it looks terrible, at least on an OG GB. It was brutal to try to see what was happening on the game back in the day.

ETA: which is why I'm excited about DKL's rating only because it seems to imply the DKCs are coming.

also

Banned
All of them are technically original, but Donkey Kong Land 2 and 3 share area names and assets. The first game is the best of the bunch.
DKL 1 is the worst of the bunch. Poor visibility and controls that don't feel right = not a very good game.

I don't know how Country 2 compares to Land 2 but Country 3 and Land 3 are really different from each other.
Country 3 has a partner system and a lot of the levels have a unique gimmick to them, whereas Land 3 limits you too a single Kong at a time and the levels are more or less standard DK platforming. Land's world map also lacks the exploration and puzzle solving elements. I'd say the biggest similarities lie in the boss fights; Land features simplified versions of Country's bosses.
Is DKL3 as good as DKC3? No, but the last installment of the SNES trilogy is such an awesome game ( character design aside) that that's really not saying much. I still recommend anyone looking for a good GB platformer to get DKL3.

I'd rank the GB games as follows: DKL3 ~DKL2 >>>>> DKL1
DKL3 felt a bit too easy but it does have a nice bonus time attack modes. Sadly it's limited to a handful of levels.

maxcriden

Atmej, thanks for the info on DKL3! Is the visibility improved from the first game?

ETA: also, from your post saying DKL2 is similar in quality to DKL3, but not knowing how DKL2 compares to DKC2, does that mean you haven't played DKC2? I haven't but I'm psyched to as I hear it's amazing.

terrisus

I agree with this, at least for the first DKL as I think that's the only one I've played. Frankly it looks terrible, at least on an OG GB. It was brutal to try to see what was happening on the game back in the day.

ETA: which is why I'm excited about DKL's rating only because it seems to imply the DKCs are coming.

DKL 1 is the worst of the bunch. Poor visibility and controls that don't feel right = not a very good game.

I don't know how Country 2 compares to Land 2 but Country 3 and Land 3 are really different from each other.
Country 3 has a partner system and a lot of the levels have a unique gimmick to them, whereas Land 3 limits you too a single Kong at a time and the levels are more or less standard DK platforming. Land's world map also lacks the exploration and puzzle solving elements. I'd say the biggest similarities lie in the boss fights; Land features simplified versions of Country's bosses.
Is DKL3 as good as DKC3? No, but the last installment of the SNES trilogy is such an awesome game ( character design aside) that that's really not saying much. I still recommend anyone looking for a good GB platformer to get DKL3.

I'd rank the GB games as follows: DKL3 ~DKL2 >>>>> DKL1
DKL3 felt a bit too easy but it does have a nice bonus time attack modes. Sadly it's limited to a handful of levels.

Yeah, even with nostalgia, none of the DKL games are really worth getting*.
The fact that the cartridges were yellow was the best/most noteworthy part of them

I'm going to get them again anyway >.>

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why in the world has America not received the Christmas themes yet? I've been wanting these for weeks.

also

Banned
Atmej, thanks for the info on DKL3! Is the visibility improved from the first game?

ETA: also, from your post saying DKL2 is similar in quality to DKL3, but not knowing how DKL2 compares to DKC2, does that mean you haven't played DKC2? I haven't but I'm psyched to as I hear it's amazing.
It is. The graphics are a bit simplified so the screen is not as busy and it feels less zoomed in. In DKL you couldn't really see ahead so you had to slowly progress through the levels or risk slamming into an enemy of falling into a pit. DKL 2 and 3 are much better in that regard.

Correct, I have yet to play DKC2 because, as you probably already know, the EU VC version of DKC2 is the 50Hz version. I initially thought about buying it on my Wii (the game was optimized so playing it at 50Hz would be okay) but there's no way I'm doing that after playing DKC3. I really don't like the default scheme and you can't change it on the Wii. While I could get used to it, I know it would sour my experience just as it did with 3D Land. Yes, I'm one of those people that swear by B= run, A = jump.

Yeah, even with nostalgia, none of the DKL games are really worth getting*.
The fact that the cartridges were yellow was the best/most noteworthy part of them

I'm going to get them again anyway >.>
I never played DKC1 and DKC2 on the Game Boy, so no nostalgia there. I did own the DKC3 cartridge but as a child I never managed to complete it; I couldn't find one of the bonus barrels and therefore couldn't unlock the final battle and time attack mode. It was the only GB game that forced me to admit defeat so I had no rosy memories of it when playing the VC version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Natsume delaying anything is hilarious. They had a stretch in the late early 2000's where every single game they released was delayed two or three times.

Top Bottom