• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

How is Fairune? Looks really charming and at 2.99 it's even more attractive.

So Konami has the time to create a completely pointless MGS theme for a poorly selling 2 1/2 year old 3DS port yet they can't be bothered to release one or two VC games.

TheMoon

So Konami has the time to create a completely pointless MGS theme for a poorly selling 2 1/2 year old 3DS port yet they can't be bothered to release one or two VC games.

themes don't cost them thousands in international ratings fees or require digital manual creation/editing/localization.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nope. They do, quite often in fact. Many times I'll see several people hyping-up *insert random indie game here*, which prompts me to check out Steam, resulting in me purchasing a game that's...middling.

I've never seen a fanbase more apt to barge in to a thread (having absolutely nothing to do with the platform) and crow about JUST HOW PERFECT the game would be for the Vita.

They are insane about Danganronpa. It's an average game in the genre at best.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Can you expand on this a bit? Just curious. Thanks, man (God). I've gotten the impression it's kind of like a 999/VLR-type of VN, not really my thing.
Combine Ace Attorney with 999/VLR & Battle Royale with a dash of Persona 3 or 4's social links.

& I tried to get into Retro City Rampage when I got it on PS+ for PS3, but just couldn't get into it. Think my main issue was everything was so damn small. Think I played the demo on Vita as well to see if it was "better suited", but nope, still didn't like it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Can you expand on this a bit? Just curious. Thanks, man (God). I've gotten the impression it's kind of like a 999/VLR-type of VN, not really my thing.

It's more Phoenix Wright than 999, but with dumber cases. With tons and tons of anime tropes (I guess it does borrow that from VLR, that and being locked into a murder factory.)

It's got decent writing. It's got these horrible minigames in the trial sequences.

I'd put it a step below both 999/VLR and Phoenix Wright when it comes to the genre.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When it comes to MM 5 and 6 it's actually pretty even.

5 has

Much better level designs.
Much easier bosses.
Broken ass Beat.
First game with the slightly altered item drop rate. More 1ups and large energy drops.

6 has

Better bosses.
A bunch of fun items that would find themselves reused in 7.
Much worse level design.
Cool music.

themes don't cost them thousands in international ratings fees or require digital manual creation/editing/localization.

I've been avidly reading and posting in the NeoGAF Nintendo Download threads for almost seven years now and lurked in them since the Wii VC first launched. In fact, the Download threads are part of what spurred me to join the forum, especially the old days of folks endlessly discussing and theorizing over Earthbound's former absence on VC. So no offense, but I'm already well aware of things like publishers and devs having haggles with getting ESRB ratings and obvious matters such as the need for digital manual creation.

I said time. Not money. As in, it's sad that Konami's attitude toward the eShop and VC is so low that they only care to expend the time and effort to make a theme for a not overly successful game from early 2012. Of course it requires far more to release games on the eShop as opposed to a theme. But if you or anyone here has some data which would indicate Konami's current Wii U VC sales are so low that it could be posited that it's not likely they'd earn back or make a profit from what it costs them to pay for ESRB ratings for future VC releases, then I'm all ears and would be interested in hearing about that.

But if you or anyone here has some data which would indicate Konami's current Wii U VC sales are so low that it could be posited that it's not likely they'd earn back or make a profit from what it costs them to pay for ESRB ratings for future VC releases, then I'm all ears and would be interested in hearing about that.

The only thing we can assume is that they do well enough to warrant continual release of bigger and smaller titles.

Anyway. Since Sega's released a couple console-related themes, I would like a Dreamcast theme.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyway. Since Sega's released a couple console-related themes, I would like a Dreamcast theme.
Haha, I can just hear the sound of selecting a game be the same as the selection sound on the DC's main menu.

Though I think the Mega Drive one will be the only one we get since it's meant to be based on the 3D Classics games. Still, to see ones based on their other consoles (or maybe a Game Gear one since there's GG titles on the eShop) would be sweet.

I'm still waiting patiently for another company to release a free one, even if it's meant to promote something.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't ESRB ratings free for smaller, digital games such as VC games? And Nintendo are the applicants for every VC game rating on PEGI and OFLC so I guess Nintendo are paying for those.
So third party VC publishers don't have much to lose except maybe putting together a manual or something and let Nintendo do the work... I suppose.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Even when you factor in the whole "no TG16 outside of Japan" thing, Konami is still one of the better third-party VC publishers around and they've done fair job of matching their Wii VC catalogue and have already released some games that never came to Wii at all, so by VC standards they're doing okay.

I'd rather save my complaints for a company like Square-Enix that clearly doesn't give a shit about anyone outside of Japan, personally.

(The "no Metal Gear" thing is Kojima's fault, I think.)

ESRB is free always for digital only games. I'd assume stuff like VC is free too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Even when you factor in the whole "no TG16 outside of Japan" thing, Konami is still one of the better third-party VC publishers around and they've done fair job of matching their Wii VC catalogue and have already released some games that never came to Wii at all, so by VC standards they're doing okay.

I'd rather save my complaints for a company like Square-Enix that clearly doesn't give a shit about anyone outside of Japan, personally.

That's a good point, although I wish they'd expand their lineup, what they've output so far is still a quality lineup in and of itself and it's 100x more than Square of course. I just want a few imports from them and some more shmups from their library. It's criminal I still can't play Axelay or Gradius III on my Gamepad.

sörine

Banned
Yes, ESRB ratings are now free for digital only games. Most desirable TG16 games are already rated anyway thanks to Wii VC and PSN Classics, bringing them to 3DS or Wii U would only need extra platforms added to the original certs, not even a resubmission.

Konami also has english digital manuals for nearly all their Wii U VC PCE releases from Wii. Some simple editing and reformatting is all they need, all the content's already been developed.

Both these costs are negligible really.

sörine;143950156 said:
Yes, ESRB ratings are now free for digital only games. Most desirable TG16 games are already rated anyway thanks to Wii VC and PSN Classics, bringing them to 3DS or Wii U would only need extra platforms added to the original certs, not even a resubmission.

Konami also has english digital manuals for nearly all their Wii U VC PCE releases from Wii. Some simple editing and reformatting is all they need, all the content's already been developed.

Both these costs are negligible really.

Thanks for the info, based on these factors there's not much of an excuse then.

daydream

Banned
Btw is there any ETA for the GBA Castlevania games to hit PAL land? I feel like the list of titles we've missed out on is building up again and I'm not feeling great about it.

maxcriden

Well, they finally got me. I bought my first theme.

mario_xmas_theme.png

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Btw is there any ETA for the GBA Castlevania games to hit PAL land? I feel like the list of titles we've missed out on is building up again and I'm not feeling great about it.
Nothing official, but Aria of Sorrow was rated by the OFLC 9 months ago so they are supposedly on their (really slow) way.

Boogiepop

:( at the MM NES games not getting a discount on 3DS too. Also kind of weird. I already grabbed 1 and 2 on a previous sale, and I want to eventually get 3-6 as well on 3DS. Already played them on the Anniversary Collection though, and I probably wouldn't replay them for a while yet anyway, so I've been waiting on a sale. Oh well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
An outsanding post of great intelligence. Mega Man 5 is among the very best in the series and I hate to see it ignored so often by so many.

It's grown on me lately. Really charming level design.

Plus the 2,3,4 it's fighting against are the GB games. 3 and 4 are solid and 2 is the worst GB Megaman game by a mile.

Plus the 2,3,4 it's fighting against are the GB games. 3 and 4 are solid and 2 is the worst GB Megaman game by a mile.
Yeah, the level design is excellent. The whole game is top-of-the-line 8bit gaming, close to the best of what the NES could do in every aspect, but I guess people had already moved on to other things by then.
I know the 2, 3 and 4 we're talking about are the GB games. Poor 2, even the sound is so broken, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the game. Still, there's worse things out there.

daydream

Banned

Oooh, you were talking about the GB games earlier, haha. Didn't pay attention to the post you quoted!

Yeah, 2 on GB is trash.

also

Banned
I asked above....

Well someone is impatient!

-Took me a bit less than 3 hours to complete it. Haven't found any of the hidden treasures or defeated any of the rare monsters. There are also achievements to encourage replays.
-The combat is really simple, you just run into enemies, automatically kill them and take damage. If their level is too high, you can't defeat them at all and will take quite a bit of damage. The problem is that this doesn't leave any room for strategy and forces you to grind for a bit at times. Someone mentioned the first Ys games earlier in the thread but those games are deeper. While they also have automatic attacking, you can run into enemies at a certain angle to avoid being damaged and you can take on any monster no matter their level.
-After the first few minutes the game leaves you completely alone. You must wander the world and figure everything on your own, so in that sense it's kind of Like Zelda 1, though much simpler and less obtuse. The puzzles are OK, and there's a few good ones.
-I like the art.

While I wish the combat was better I'd still recommend the game to anyone who is tired of today's hand-holding and wants a more old-school experience. The game won't blow you away or anything but it's so cheap that it probably doesn't need to.

omg_mjd

Does the eShop have a size restriction on mobile/3G downloads? I can't download Metal Gear Solid 3D (around 3 GB) but I was able to download Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (1.8 GB).

Keep getting error code 005-4240. Google doesn't link the error to anything specific other than the eShop being down, which it isn't. And I guess it isn't a problem with my network since I use the same connection for downloading much larger files from Steam.

There appears to be different BGM on the 3DS eShop in Europe currently. No idea what game it is from this time.

Does the eShop have a size restriction on mobile/3G downloads? I can't download Metal Gear Solid 3D (around 3 GB) but I was able to download Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (1.8 GB).

Keep getting error code 005-4240. Google doesn't link the error to anything specific other than the eShop being down, which it isn't. And I guess it isn't a problem with my network since I use the same connection for downloading much larger files from Steam.
Are you trying a sleep mode download or a normal one? To be honest your biggest hurdle is the general reliability of the eShop as I'm not sure how good the resume functions are on it.

omg_mjd

To be honest your biggest hurdle is the general reliability of the eShop as I'm not sure how good the resume functions are on it.

I hope that's the case. The PSN store has a set size limit on mobile downloads which is what gave me the idea that the eShop might have the same restriction. At least on PSN it's possible to force a download by starting it on regular WiFi then switching to mobile after at least a few MBs are downloaded.

n64coder

I hope that's the case. The PSN store has a set size limit on mobile downloads which is what gave me the idea that the eShop might have the same restriction. At least on PSN it's possible to force a download by starting it on regular WiFi then switching to mobile after at least a few MBs are downloaded.

The 3DS is different from the Vita as it has wifi only. It doesn't know the difference between a wifi hotspot from your phone versus a regular one. I can understand Sony store having a restriction for mobile download but that's because it's able to detect mobile data if you're using that on the Vita instead of WiFi.

omg_mjd

The 3DS is different from the Vita as it has wifi only. It doesn't know the difference between a wifi hotspot from your phone versus a regular one. I can understand Sony store having a restriction for mobile download but that's because it's able to detect mobile data if you're using that on the Vita instead of WiFi.

Ah, that makes sense. Perhaps the eShop version of MGS3D is just stalling for some reason.

Has anyone else here bought it as well?

Well someone is impatient!

Wow, chill. People will often repost their impression requests in the Download threads all the time because there are multiple discussions always going on for many different games and it's much easier for a question to get lost compared to other threads.

-Took me a bit less than 3 hours to complete it. Haven't found any of the hidden treasures or defeated any of the rare monsters. There are also achievements to encourage replays.
-The combat is really simple, you just run into enemies, automatically kill them and take damage. If their level is too high, you can't defeat them at all and will take quite a bit of damage. The problem is that this doesn't leave any room for strategy and forces you to grind for a bit at times. Someone mentioned the first Ys games earlier in the thread but those games are deeper. While they also have automatic attacking, you can run into enemies at a certain angle to avoid being damaged and you can take on any monster no matter their level.
-After the first few minutes the game leaves you completely alone. You must wander the world and figure everything on your own, so in that sense it's kind of Like Zelda 1, though much simpler and less obtuse. The puzzles are OK, and there's a few good ones.
-I like the art.

While I wish the combat was better I'd still recommend the game to anyone who is tired of today's hand-holding and wants a more old-school experience. The game won't blow you away or anything but it's so cheap that it probably doesn't need to.

Thanks, these impressions are very helpful. It sounds like a fun little distraction at least.

GulAtiCa

Hmm. Finally starting the process to get ZaciSa out in Europe. A Feb release would be awesome. (I will start USK process in Jan, I hear they are impossible to work with though..)

If a game is $2.99 in the States, what would be a good price point for the Euro/Pound equivalent that would be fair?

Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX has the best pop-out 3D I've seen on the console. Your character looks like he's standing about half an inch outside of the screen shooting in to it.

Why aren't more people talking about this game? It's really good, makes good use of the 3DS hardware, it's goofy as shit (with sexy anime lady versions of story-book characters) and only $6.

Someone mentioned the first Ys games earlier in the thread but those games are deeper. While they also have automatic attacking, you can run into enemies at a certain angle to avoid being damaged and you can take on any monster no matter their level.
Yeah, the combat sounds much more similar to Hydlide, another classic RPG series from the early 80s that's much less known, less good, and earlier than Ys. (Although the first versions of the first Ys games didn't have as much strategy to their "bumping" either).

TheMoon

Hmm. Finally starting the process to get ZaciSa out in Europe. A Feb release would be awesome. (I will start USK process in Jan, I hear they are impossible to work with though..)

If a game is $2.99 in the States, what would be a good price point for the Euro/Pound equivalent that would be fair?

€2.49

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

€2.49

We've waited so long that an early promotional launch price of €1.99 would be fair tho ;)
I'm supporting it regardless even if it were priced €5, tho looking at screens it's not my thing and I'm not sure when I'd play it, so feel free to gouge us lol

Top Bottom