• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For some reason, it'll take me a few attempts to get a game to update. Took me about 3 tries as well for SSB to get the new 8-player stages.

Maybe I'll see if I can try the Hyrule Warriors DLC tomorrow. I seriously gotta try out Tingle.

SerTapTap

3DS = GREAT use of 3D (including/disregarding boob depth, depending on taste).

Wii U = HD character portraits.

That's pretty much it, I think, all other graphics are the same (just blown up on Wii U).

They actually added boob depth? I applaud them for their effort

jholmes

Yeah, but only really cause they make it really simple. You mail them your game on a SD card with paper detailing its name, platform and your info. And then after they get it, they invoice you and then rate it.

Pegi makes you sign up, take a helpful, half hour, tutorial interactive video on them and their service, etc. You submit your game info via online form. Submit 30 minute video and game rom online and after money is received.

USK is easier, only by that its simple. Pegi system is better, just over whelming at first, and gives you updates on when payment was received, when you can expect rating. Etc.

I've heard Usk is bad at communication as well.

Esrb is still the best. Submit 1 minute form, get rating, and they review it after release. Best of all free. :)

I love this stuff. Having you in the thread makes us all feel like indie devs, in as much as we're exposed to all the bureaucracy and none of the other stuff.

You don't get sales data until a week after the fact or something, right? I'm curious to know how getting an icon on the front page affects sales.

zroid

Banned
3DS = GREAT use of 3D (including/disregarding boob depth, depending on taste).

Wii U = HD character portraits.

That's pretty much it, I think, all other graphics are the same (just blown up on Wii U).

...I need to see this

*goes on 3DS Miiverse*

zlCfzS-Du88ZwaaWXS

zlCfzS-Dv9cwj4l4QY

aand there it is :lol

sörine

Banned
I still have 55GB on my SD card but I've realized I'm about to hit the 3DS app limit. 281 out of 300. :(

Some of my folders are near the 60 app limit too. Time for an OS update Nintendo!

terrisus

sörine;150825251 said:
I still have 55GB on my SD card but I've realized I'm about to hit the 3DS app limit. 281 out of 300. :(

Some of my folders are near the 60 app limit too. Time for an OS update Nintendo!

Seriously, I'm still baffled that they would have a (seemingly arbitrary) limit on the amount of stuff one can have.

GulAtiCa

I love this stuff. Having you in the thread makes us all feel like indie devs, in as much as we're exposed to all the bureaucracy and none of the other stuff.

You don't get sales data until a week after the fact or something, right? I'm curious to know how getting an icon on the front page affects sales.

I actually get sales data the next day. So can easily see how the game did the day before/etc without waiting much. Last time my game got featured on the Sales area, it did a little bit better that time.

Best part, is that the new graphics are finally up on the eShop! So, should be interesting to see how sales react to both being featured as well as new graphics used as well. These graphics are so much better.

maxcriden

Oh crap, I need to redeem my DDP codes. When do those expire?

Ninja edit:

[NOTE] The Deluxe Digital Promotion will be discontinued on April 1, 2015. Please exchange your points for an activation code by March 31, 2015. Activation codes must be redeemed in the Nintendo eShop by June 30, 2015.

ohlawd

sörine;150825251 said:

uhh holy fuck I forgot about that

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sörine;150825251 said:

You must really like small games or demos.

Second possibility is a 128 GB card...which would make upgrading to a New 3DS quite expensive!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sörine;150842078 said:
Virtual Console addiction. :[

And it's a 128GB microSD in an adapter. I'm ready!

So you put the money in before hand. I'm impressed!

I have quite the addiction myself but am sill a bit below needing a 128 card. Plus the cost...yeesh. I'm sure it will be half as much by the time I get there later this year.

terrisus

So you put the money in before hand. I'm impressed!

I have quite the addiction myself but am sill a bit below needing a 128 card. Plus the cost...yeesh. I'm sure it will be half as much by the time I get there later this year.

Look at it this way: A 128GB MicroSD card is right around the same price as a 64GB PSVita card >.>

JCho133

New 3DS XL so close yet so far.

I used a display model at GameStop to play some Majoras Mask and it literally enchanted me. I wasn't convinced that it would be worth paying another $100 (with a trade in) for it, but after using it I am completely all in. It's like a drug, I just want more more more

ohlawd

looks like I transferred my stuff to my new 64 gig microsd fine. was sitting pretty at 3.6 gigs remaining now I'm up to 32.8 left <3

can't justify the 128 gigs. no way I'll ever fill it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Look at it this way: A 128GB MicroSD card is right around the same price as a 64GB PSVita card >.>

I do in fact look at it exactly that way. Especially hard considering the micro SD 64GB card cost me 23 bucks...which is the cost of a 16 GB Vita card...on sale.

I figure 128GB's will be around 50-70 by the time I need it. Probably around when BDFF2 comes out.

looks like I transferred my stuff to my new 64 gig microsd fine. was sitting pretty at 3.6 gigs remaining now I'm up to 32.8 left <3

can't justify the 128 gigs. no way I'll ever fill it.

I keep thinking this. Moved up to four in the early days of regular 3DS eshop mainly because my mp3 player broke. Went to eight a little bit after retail titles started trickling into the eshop, no big deal, still had a ton of music and audiobooks on there. By the end of 2012 I was rocking a sixteen because it was faster and dirt cheap. 2013...was the year of change. Not only did the really big games start hitting the system but so many good retail, eshop, and VC games hit. I was rocking 32 halfway through and barely had enough room to download everything I wanted by the time the ridiculous holiday sales ended. 64 should have been fine for 2014, and largely was, until I decided to rebuy a bunch of early titles as they went on sale digitally. 3D Land is tiny but KI:U, RE:R and Snake Eater 3D aren't exactly small.

I'm now actually secretly worried about Xenoblade. I forgot that could be titanic.

BooJoh

I don't think this is really OT... Castle in the Darkness came out on Steam today and on the website it says:

Can you port this game to Ouya/Android/Mac/Linux/PS4/WiiU/3DS/Vita/XBOXOne?

If there is a demand, we will consider it!

So I'm not intending to port beg here (it's great on PC,) just saying I really enjoy the game so far and if anyone else here wants to see a 3DS/Wii U version, the devs seem open to the idea, so fire them a friendly message on Twitter @nicalis and @MattKap1

Tizoc

I don't think this is really OT... Castle in the Darkness came out on Steam today and on the website it says:

So I'm not intending to port beg here (it's great on PC,) just saying I really enjoy the game so far and if anyone else here wants to see a 3DS/Wii U version, the devs seem open to the idea, so fire them a friendly message on Twitter @nicalis and @MattKap1

See here's the problem: It's from nicalis.

I'd LOVE to see it on other hardware, but nicalis has me owrried based on what various GAFfers have posted.

BooJoh

I'd LOVE to see it on other hardware, but nicalis has me owrried based on what various GAFfers have posted.

They're notorious for delays and not patching fast enough, but the games of theirs I've bought have all been great games and other than the 1001 Spikes hard lock glitch (and I think Grinsia had one as well?) they don't usually have game-breaking bugs.

Javier

Downloaded Mappy-Land and it's pretty fun after playing it for the first time. I was a huge fan of the original arcade Mappy, so this one is quite a nice addition to my VC collection, and the varied level aesthetic and soundtrack add a lot in comparison to the original.

Only disappointment is the lack of the original Mappy theme.

Chopper

They're notorious for delays and not patching fast enough, but the games of theirs I've bought have all been great games and other than the 1001 Spikes hard lock glitch (and I think Grinsia had one as well?) they don't usually have game-breaking bugs.
2 of their 6 3DS games had/have game-breaking bugs. A third.

tebunker

Banned

I see 2 choices here, either have another game to choose from or not have another game to choose from.

Honestly Nicalis is only a part of the problem the developers they work with should be held responsible as well. The QA could definitely be better.

I would rather have the option to play a buggy game on a system of my choice, and potentially have it/eventually patched than not have the option.

Tizoc

I see 2 choices here, either have another game to choose from or not have another game to choose from.

Honestly Nicalis is only a part of the problem the developers they work with should be held responsible as well. The QA could definitely be better.

I would rather have the option to play a buggy game on a system of my choice, and potentially have it/eventually patched than not have the option.

Yeah but if what they never get around to patching the buggy game :V

BooJoh

Yeah but if what they never get around to patching the buggy game :V

IIRC, VVVVVV had a freezing bug in a bonus mode that was fixed with a patch, Grinsia had a game-breaking bug that was fixed in a patch (I don't own it so idk if there are other issues.) The biggest offender is 1001 Spikes which has a freezing bug in both the 3DS and Wii U versions which can also rarely erase your save and it hasn't been patched yet (though it is possible to load the game back up and continue playing past the freeze,) in addition they haven't patched in the promised off-TV play on Wii U.

Still, so far they've patched any bugs that absolutely impede progress AFAIK.

sörine;150825251 said:

Wait... There's an app limit on the 3DS? What the hell? My 64GB is almost full and I was gonna upgrade to a 128GB microSD, but what's the point then?

sörine

Banned
Preloaded Kirby, feels good.

Wait... There's an app limit on the 3DS? What the hell? My 64GB is almost full and I was gonna upgrade to a 128GB microSD, but what's the point then?
Yep. You can have 300 apps installed, not including those preloaded on the 3DS system (like Nintendo Zone, eShop, Mii Plaza, Face Raiders, etc). Also folders can only hold a maximum of 60 apps. I'm going to run into problems with both soon.

I haven't bothered to look it up but does anyone know offhand if Wii U has similar restrictions?

SerTapTap

Developers would have to be responsible by not working with Nicalis. Binding of Isaac Rebirth has multiple issues too and terrible communication about when some of the bigger ones will be fixed. Fixing bugs was one of the bigger selling points for Rebirth and the new engine, too

Bowl0l

sörine;150889646 said:
Yep. You can have 300 apps installed, not including those preloaded on the 3DS system (like Nintendo Zone, eShop, Mii Plaza, Face Raiders, etc). Also folders can only hold a maximum of 60 apps. I'm going to run into problems with both soon.
I am relieved that I didn't buy a 128GB uSD card.

sörine;150889646 said:
I haven't bothered to look it up but does anyone know offhand if Wii U has similar restrictions?
I will like to know the answer too.

terrisus

I am relieved that I didn't buy a 128GB uSD card.

Tangential - but I don't believe the word "Micro" works like that unless it's an SI prefix.
But, the "Micro" in "MicroSD" is referring to a form factor (cf. "MicroUSB"/"MiniUSB"), not an SI prefix.

I could be wrong though.

jholmes

If anyone ever wondered what I thought of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, I made a LTTP last night that died a gruesome death.

It has classic control compatibility, so it is a candidate for Wii U re-release, if Square-Enix ever gets their head around the system.

SerTapTap

If anyone ever wondered what I thought of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, I made a LTTP last night that died a gruesome death.

It has classic control compatibility, so it is a candidate for Wii U re-release, if Square-Enix ever gets their head around the system.

I loved chocobo's Dungeon 2, I enjoyed the start of Chocobo's Dungeon Wii but didn't get super far yet. They're really cute, very accessible traditional roguelike/dungeon crawlers.

sörine;150889646 said:
Preloaded Kirby, feels good.

I believe the issue is that the 3DS loads all the icons at once and it could noticeably slower at that point. If the Wii U has one, it is likely a few times larger

TheMoon

Nicalis is the worst. Everything stays NA only until you're lucky to maybe get something 1-2 years later... I'm tired of begging them for shit. That's how you lose customers.

GulAtiCa

And finally, my game's patch is in lotcheck! (I'm calling it the Valentine Update)

Next for me is to finish off the Europe version. Only thing left there is to make the game use different language sheets and have it translated (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian). English is done, obviously lol. Spanish is taken care of via one of my friends.
By time USK rating comes back, translations should be done and in place and hopefully any issues with the NA patch will be known by time I submit for Europe, allowing for better process.

Brofield

I own WD on Wii U and have played it a bit. So far it seems like it qualifies as an "okay game." Note that this is no "OMG GET THIS!" recommendation. If you can wait, wait. No DLC support outside of not-worth-it pre-order crap.

I finished AC III on Wii U and enjoyed it a lot. The DLC is hella overpriced though and never goes on sale. Know that going in. AC IV does not have any DLC on Wii U but is still just as competent as AC IV was. If you made a new thread about it there would be lots of people telling you these games are utter garbage on Wii U and are such abominations, citing Digital Foundry till the cows come home etc etc. All nonsense hyperbole unless you're super sensitive about performance. I recommend them.

Despite these sales, I'm finding better prices on retail. WD is $25 at Best Buy in Canada, new. At that price, would it qualify as a game worth it's value?

As for performance, I'm not too concerned. As it stands my Wii U gets the most play time so getting it on 360 doesn't make much sense when all it's really used for is a more competent Netflix box. But thanks for the advice, though!

I just beat ACIV last week and I had my fun with it for sure.

A lot of my friends it seems are bugging me to get it one way or another, so it seems I will pick it up for sure!

TheMoon

Despite these sales, I'm finding better prices on retail. WD is $25 at Best Buy in Canada, new. At that price, would it qualify as a game worth it's value

$25? Sure, if you're aware that you're getting yourself into the usual Ubisoft AAA design and don't mind it, then go for it.

I bought Splinter Cell 3D last night since it was only $7.50. It's actually not too bad from what I've played so far.

Frame rate in 3D is a tad sluggish from time to time and the controls take a little getting used to (reviews slammed them, but SC is so slow paced, that I've never run in to issues). I'm surprised to say that SC3D is a competent version of Chaos Theory on the go.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought Splinter Cell 3D last night since it was only $7.50. It's actually not too bad from what I've played so far.

Frame rate in 3D is a tad sluggish from time to time and the controls take a little getting used to (reviews slammed them, but SC is so slow paced, that I've never run in to issues). I'm surprised to say that SC3D is a competent version of Chaos Theory on the go.

I did the same with YuGiOh because I've been on a card game kick. It's not great, but its not half bad.

I set a threshold of $10 for Blacklist and it's close. Is $15 the lowest sale price it has been? I've got such a backlog that I can wait anyways.

TheMoon

I got the DS (!) version of this for free along with another game I bought on eBay once. Was surprised how well even that one worked.

Top Bottom