• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Same thing, though.
Nooooooooo, it can make a huge difference. I imported E.X. Troopers, which is a 3rd person shooter, & I really enjoyed it, and I say this as someone who HATES FPS titles. Being able to see my character actually helps a lot because I prefer the "bird's eye" view instead of first-person, which also helps in getting a better view of your environment.

maxcriden

Nooooooooo, it can make a huge difference. I imported E.X. Troopers, which is a 3rd person shooter, & I really enjoyed it, and I say this as someone who HATES FPS titles. Being able to see my character actually helps a lot because I prefer the "bird's eye" view instead of first-person, which also helps in getting a better view of your environment.

Yes, but you're still controlling a character and shooting with them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, but you're still controlling a character and shooting with them.
Like Contra?

All seriousness, I get what you mean & understand why you wouldn't be into the game (I don't have interest either), but a different view can change how the game is played/enjoyed.

maxcriden

Like Contra?

I get what you mean & understand why you wouldn't be into the game (I don't have interest either), but a different view can change how the game is played/enjoyed

No, that's a good point. Even Contra is essentially the same thing as a TPS/FPS. They're all games where you shoot guns at things. Contra is just harder, is all.

maxcriden

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015 | Scram Kitty Is Essentially Quake

I'm all for it!

That's a shooter then. That only matters if you don't like shooters, which I assume is the case for you since you're not that hot on violent games.

Yes, they're all shooters. You control a game character moving around and shooting things. All games are as follows: shoot, rhythm, jump, sports, race, solve, build. I think that covers everything. I think I might like a couple of shooters. I like Mega Man. Oh, and Scram Kitty. And Twinbee, the bells are cute.

C'mon Zero Mission :'(

Have you played Metroid II? That's the best Metroid game and most clear realization of the idea of Metroid.

jholmes

Actually been considering making a Krusty's Fun House clone for the Wii U, could be good with the stylus controls. That'd be after my first game is out, mind. (Just need a bit of money now to make that happen.. :( )

Oh, do this!
Then pitch it to EA for the Simpsons license. It'd make for a fun story if nothing else, right?

@MUWANdo

Banned
....bought.

Thank you.

There's also Blaster Master: Enemy Below for GBC which is a sorta-remix, sorta-sequel to the NES game--most of the graphics/music is taken from the original game but the level design is all new. It's a tough game and feels cramped on the GBC screen but if you're a big Blaster Master fan you might wanna give it a look.

donny2112

Have you played Metroid II? That's the best Metroid game and most clear realization of the idea of Metroid.

What ... is ... this ?

Metroid II is the worst Metroid game through Zero Mission and the least Metroid-like game in the series through the same point. You can clear each "level" completely in a turn and never have to back-track. There's no back-tracking, exploratory gameplay in the game, if you're thorough the first time through. Story-wise, it's great and leads into the best Metroid of them all (Super), but Metroid II is the deserved black sheep of the family through Zero Mission.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
GUNSTAR SUPER HEROES.

DO IT, SEGA.

Yep, definitely not what I was hoping for. Did Sega release anything of note on the GBA other than those Sonic games?
There was a Jet Set Radio game for it I wouldn't mind trying out. Sonic Advance 2 & 3 were rather good.

It won't happen because of licensing, but Astro Boy: Omega Factor was great & done by Treasure.

Not sure if I feel like going back to Sonic Battle. I liked it as a kid, but I don't think I have as much of a desire to replay it.

There was also Chu Chu Rocket & a few others.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yep, definitely not what I was hoping for. Did Sega release anything of note on the GBA other than those Sonic games?

Their GBA output was a 50/50 split of okay-to-great JP-developed games and middling-to-terrible outsourced western games, thanks to a handheld publishing arrangement they had with THQ.

daydream

Banned
Huh. Well, it's not like their GBA output was great. I like the Advance series but I already own the games. Same with Astro Boy and Gunstar Super Heroes which Sega published.

They should have created some original stuff instead of trying to cram a Jet Set, Crazy Taxi or Space Channel 5 experience into a GBA cart.

I guess I'd take Puyo Pop, Chu Chu Rocket and Shining Soul.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, there was also Advance Guardian Heroes. Wouldn't mind trying that.

Edit: Aw crap, AGH is by Ubisoft: "Since Sega is the original copyright holder and wasn't interested in assuming the production of a sequel, Treasure had to license the intellectual property from Sega in order to carry out the game themselves." & yet they were all over the XBLA port of the original....

BUT I SWEAR, IF WE GET SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GENESIS.....

terrisus

Oh right, there was also Advance Guardian Heroes. Wouldn't mind trying that.

Edit: Aw crap, AGH is by Ubisoft: "Since Sega is the original copyright holder and wasn't interested in assuming the production of a sequel, Treasure had to license the intellectual property from Sega in order to carry out the game themselves." & yet they were all over the XBLA port of the original....

BUT I SWEAR, IF WE GET SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GENESIS.....

Aww, you changed your avatar =(

image.php

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I did it in celebration for Kill la Kill hitting Toonami. Plus I figured it had been a while since I last changed it. I'll give my current one a few months before changing it again.

I do hope this means more 3rd parties will re-release GBA games. The only ones that comes to mind are Namco & Capcom. Wish Konami would step in as well.

.......also whoever has the rights to River City Ransom EX. I'd buy that.

Edit: Oh cool, Japan also gets MM&B next week? I'm sure we'll get it in the US eventually seeing as we're getting the Battle Network & Zero games. Just a matter of when.

daydream

Banned
It's actually kinda crazy how poor (quantitavely speaking) their output was, and I hadn't realised it before.

I guess they were still in shock at the time or something.

.......also whoever has the rights to River City Ransom EX. I'd buy that.

Sega bought Atlus so.. them? Not really sure. I'd buy it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's actually kinda crazy how poor (quantitavely speaking) their output was, and I hadn't realised it before.

I guess they were still in shock at the time or something.

They put out just as much as the other big third-party publishers, at least internationally, but it's easy to ignore or overlook a lot of their games because they sucked.

daydream

Banned
They put out just as much as the other big third-party publishers, at least internationally, but it's easy to ignore or overlook a lot of their games because they sucked.

Yeah, I was referring to the the low quantity of quality games, my bad. But seriously, it really feels like they were mourning the past with all those ill-conceived handheld versions of their consoles IPs.

sörine

Banned
Good games with English releases (with possible roadblocks):
Advance Guardian Heroes (Treasure co-owned, Ubisoft localized)
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Tezuka license)
Baseball Advance (MLB license)
Chu-Chu Rocket!
Columns Crown
Gunstar Super Heroes (Treasure co-owned)
Puyo Pop
Puyo Pop Fever
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Shining Soul
Shining Soul II
The Pinball of the Dead
The Tower SP (Vivarium IP)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering Gunstar Heroes is on PSN, XBLA, & Wii Shop, I feel like GSH wouldn't have any issues making it on the eShop.

I feel like Chu Chu Rocket (& MAYBE Jet Set Radio) is the only DC-to-GBA game that'll get added. I haven't heard good things about the GBA versions of Crazy Taxi or Space Channel 5.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, I was referring to the the low quantity of quality games, my bad. But seriously, it really feels like they were mourning the past with all those ill-conceived handheld versions of their consoles IPs.

Well, like I said, the publishing deal they had with THQ gave them carte blanche to crank out garbage based on their IPs for a little while, so that probably didn't help. It's not as if their handheld record was ever that great, the Game Gear was littered with crap, too.

Anyway, for the sake of completeness, here's a list of all Sega's internationally-released GBA games (the ones I remember off the top of my head, at least):

Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle
Sonic Genesis

Shining Force remake
Shining Soul
Shining Soul 2

Chuchu Rocket
Columns Crown
Puyo Fever

Altered Beast: Guardian of the Realms
"Revenge of Shinobi"
Virtua Tennis
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel 5
Comix Zone
Pinball of the Dead

Super Monkey Ball Jr.
Crazy Taxi: Catch a Ride
Sega Rally Championship

Sega Smash Pack
Sega Arcade Gallery
Phantasy Star Collection

Gunstar Super Heroes
Advance Guardian Heroes
Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What ... is ... this ?

Metroid II is the worst Metroid game through Zero Mission and the least Metroid-like game in the series through the same point. You can clear each "level" completely in a turn and never have to back-track. There's no back-tracking, exploratory gameplay in the game, if you're thorough the first time through. Story-wise, it's great and leads into the best Metroid of them all (Super), but Metroid II is the deserved black sheep of the family through Zero Mission.

Have to agree here. It could really use a remake.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it as bad as Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis? I remember being excited as a kid because "Holy crap, the Spin Dash is in! Maybe it'll make the first game fun like 2 and 3&K!" but then heard how terrible it was.

jholmes

I feel like Chu Chu Rocket (& MAYBE Jet Set Radio) is the only DC-to-GBA game that'll get added. I haven't heard good things about the GBA versions of Crazy Taxi or Space Channel 5.

Chu Chu Rocket makes sense in that retro puzzle games are an easy sell, and how is that the only non-smartphone port the game ever got? That's money in the bank right there. Oh Sega, I'll never understand you.

As for Jet Set Radio... is it even any good? I can't really imagine the game in 2D and the screenshots I looked up aren't helping.

daydream

Banned

BooJoh

Despite their relative simplicity compared to their PC/console brethren like Diablo, I still loved both Shining Soul games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As for Jet Set Radio... is it even any good? I can't really imagine the game in 2D and the screenshots I looked up aren't helping.
Metacritic score was 74, so it seems that it was overall decent, though I heard judging your jumps can be hard at times. Seems it was made by the same people who did the GBA Tony Hawk games.

sörine

Banned
Considering Gunstar Heroes is on PSN, XBLA, & Wii Shop, I feel like GSH wouldn't have any issues making it on the eShop.

Treasure games did really well on Wii VC (S&P got the sequel greenlit and GH got the XBLA/PSN ports greenlit) so I wouldn't be surprised if we get both GSH and AGH. Astro Boy is the problematic one. And also the best one.

Also Protect Me Knight 2 is getting localized
http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3592
FUCK.YES.

Light the Pixy signal!

sörine

Banned
To celebrate Protect Me Knight 2 coming west for 3DS here's some US 3DS eShop codes for some great 8bit games! Quote the post to reveal.

Donkey Kong '94

Metroid II

Super Mario Land 2

Link's Awakening DX

Wario Land II

Enjoy and remember to buy PMK2 when it releases. :)

Turns out I could buy the n3DS next week with an new 32GB SD-card and charging station but without a new game. Wouldn't need it but SMT IV in proper 3D, faceplates and the coloured buttons are starting to convince me.
Help me, NintenGAF!

Sin with me.

Sin with us.

donny2112

most clear realization of the idea of Metroid.

Thinking about this some more, I think you're not talking about Metroid, the game, as Metroid II fails horribly at trying to reproduce the clear realization of a Metroid game. Are you talking about the idea of a Metroid creature, from the perspective that Metroid II has you going through progressively evolved Metroid eventually getting to the
Metroid Queen
? That I could get behind. Gamewise, no way. Metroid evolution wise, it's a good fit!

Top Bottom