• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

RiggyRob

I watch EPL but I'm neutral. Eff Man U though.

Alright, you're good in my book

Liverpool <3

dwgirIQ.png

---

Codename S.T.E.A.M is legit yo, plays really well in a unique and strategic way that's different to both Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. I have a feeling it could be a new major franchise for Intelligent Systems (although it seems more likely that it would replace Advance Wars).

Still not a fan of the graphics, although I get what they were going for with the comic book style I think Wonderful 101 pulled it off better and I think it'd look drastically better on the Wii U.

What is the Map/Turn score you get at the end of a mission ranked on? I assume it's similar to a minimum turn count like in FE or AW but I ended up spending ages looking around the map for gears and blowing up boxes instead of heading for the goal.

BooJoh

I've enjoyed what I've played so far of the demo, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to stick to it in the full version. I'm just typically really bad at these types of games. It definitely feels fresh though and I get the feeling it'll feel great with a C-stick.

jmizzal

My external hard drive on my WiiU is not working right, I can play games off it but I cant save anything to it or move date between WiiU and HD

My question is, if I buy a new hard drive, can I copy the data from that hard drive onto my computer and then put it on my new hard drive?

zroid

Banned
My external hard drive on my WiiU is not working right, I can play games off it but I cant save anything to it or move date between WiiU and HD

My question is, if I buy a new hard drive, can I copy the data from that hard drive onto my computer and then put it on my new hard drive?

I don't think a PC can detect a drive formatted for Wii U. However you should be able to connect both drives to your Wii U and transfer the data that way.

maxcriden

S.T.E.A.M. T.H.O.U.G.H.T.S.

I played the demo for a good chunk, 2-3 missions or so. What can I say about the game, hmm. It's definitely not for me but it's a very well put-together game. I can see how the enemy turn time length could grate people. I don't mind it too much but it did feel a bit long at times. I can see how with a full team it would be much less of a concern. The game is clever and has a lucid diegesis that fans of the genre will be all over. It's got a W101 kinda thing going on, as RiggyRob mentioned. Ultimately it's just not a game that does anything much for me personally, but I can appreciate the care and craft that have gone into it and I think those who like it will surely find a lot to like here. At some point in the future, if my tastes change, I will gladly keep it in mind as a game to check out.

jmizzal

I don't think a PC can detect a drive formatted for Wii U. However you should be able to connect both drives to your Wii U and transfer the data that way.

The problem is when I try to access the drive while its connected to the WiiU I get an error message, I can only play games off it, but I cant add anything new or take anything off that hard drive with out getting an error and its not even close to full.

zroid

Banned
The problem is when I try to access the drive while its connected to the WiiU I get an error message, I can only play games off it, but I cant add anything new or take anything off that hard drive with out getting an error and its not even close to full.

that doesn't sound good

umm I'm not sure but maybe you can make a disk image of the hard drive? I don't know if that's possible without the PC recognizing the file system... but otherwise I got nothin'

jmizzal

that doesn't sound good

umm I'm not sure but maybe you can make a disk image of the hard drive? I don't know if that's possible without the PC recognizing the file system... but otherwise I got nothin'

The good thing is I only have a bunch of eshop games I dont play anymore on there, all my other saves are on my WiiU drive, only thing that sucks is my stealth inc data and Monster Hunter WiiU data is on there.

BooJoh

The good thing is I only have a bunch of eshop games I dont play anymore on there, all my other saves are on my WiiU drive, only thing that sucks is my stealth inc data and Monster Hunter WiiU data is on there.

You don't by any chance have the 3DS version of MH3U? If you do and you can run the games off the drive you could transfer your save to 3DS to rescue it. Even if you can't you could restore the last 3DS save backup from last time you transferred I believe.

donny2112

I just heard there are issues. I think a few people here lost their DLs this way and all their saves before.

But, I've never tried it. I've just used a regular HDD.

I wonder if they unplugged the USB adapter/flash drive while the system was on. Just as a basic functionality test, arranged everything into folders as I wanted it, completely turned off the system (i.e. red light on), unplugged the USB adapter, and turned on the system to the Wii U menu. It spun for a bit looking for the USB drive, but then brought up the Wii U menu as normal with empty spots where the games were. Turned back off the system (i.e. red light on), plugged in USB adapter, and turned on the system to the Wii U menu. Everything was back in their folders, etc. successfully.

Not a comprehensive test by any means, but I think as long as the system is always off when you plug in/take out the USB adapter/flash drive, it probably stands a good chance of working. *crosses finger* :)

I'm debating doing this myself. The whole issue with USB sticks is games write and rewrite so often they wear them out, but the Wii games are basically just ISO files, so I don't think that would apply.

Yeah, the Wii save file is on the Wii system memory and not the USB SD card. The other games I moved over are finished ones I'm not currently playing (so taking out the adapter isn't losing me anything as far as current ability to play, either). SMG2 is on the system memory, but MPT is just too large. Wii games would be read-only, like you said, though.

tolkir

I can't say anything about the wii u version since i played a bit on my cousins xbox. It really is mediocre at best. Don't really like the pacman design but that comes down to taste, but what ruins it for me is the camera. It tracks slowly so if you turned around a corner it will take the camera another 2 seconds to follow you behind the corner. or if you attack ghost facing the camera it won't turn and the pacing is also really slow. While i haven't completed the game just had about an hour with it so i can't judge the full game. In the end i don't think its worth the 9,99 to be honest.

edit: I like design 3 the best.

Thanks, I was thinking about it because the shortage of the genre and the sale.

Random: I just discovered/realized that Tolkir is a Malaga supporter.
I wonder if we have any other Football fans in here (since I'm far too lazy to check everyone :þ)

True.
Btw, Luis Alberto is slow as a turtle. Next time loans us Coutinho. ;)

Hey guys, a quick question about the Wii U regarding game updates:

is it possible to download a software update for a title you don't own yet?

A friend of mine will bring over MK8 and I thought it would be great if I could download the current update before then. On the eshop, only the DLC is listed, though.

Is there any way to download the update beforehand?

TheMoon

Hey guys, a quick question about the Wii U regarding game updates:

is it possible to download a software update for a title you don't own yet?

A friend of mine will bring over MK8 and I thought it would be great if I could download the current update before then. On the eshop, only the DLC is listed, though.

Is there any way to download the update beforehand?

No, you cannot. You can buy and download DLC without owning/having the game on hand, though. But not software updates.

edit: Why you're asking this in a screenshot thread is beyond me, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949567

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=962641

funny-dolphin-brain-bubble.jpg

Orgen

Thanks, I was thinking about it because the shortage of the genre and the sale.

True.
Btw, Luis Alberto is slow as a turtle. Next time loans us Coutinho. ;)

Design 3 for me too.

And sorry but Malaga is going to lose next Monday ;D

maxcriden

Hopefully we get Donkey Kong Country Returns and the entire Rare DKC trilogy next week.

:(

You frown, but I'm holding out serious hope, Gonzo. :) I mean, I think if anything we'd just get DKC and DKCR in the same week. Maybe DKL, too. It can be the month of DK!

I'm trying to think when Nintendo has three consecutive emptier weeks coming up in the schedule. Maybe April? But there might be stuff coming out then that we don't know about yet.

TheMoon

If you guys didn't make every new week about anticipating those specific games you're dying for and instead let yourself be positively surprised when they finally do show up, it would be way less painful I bet.

maxcriden

If you guys didn't make every new week about anticipating those specific games you're dying for and instead let yourself be positively surprised when they finally do show up, it would be way less painful I bet.

Oh, I'm not as worked up about it as it might seem. I mean, ever since EU got the DKC games, I've really wanted them to come to NA. Also, late last year was absolutely stacked with eShop releases that were of interest to me and there haven't been too many lately, so the DKC games have superseded any interest in other recent releases. It would be one thing if nobody had them, or if only JP did, but I'd like for NOA to be a bit more transparent about things like this and it's a bit disappointing when they're not. Regardless, when I post .gifs about DKC and such, it's really with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I have plenty of games in my backlog so I figure they'll come when they come--I'd just like to have a better idea of when that will be. (Also, I agree with what you said, but that kind of mindset can be a bit easier said than done, at times!)

maxcriden

Besides, no one really cares about DKC. It's all about Metroid:Zero Mission.

:-/

I don't care about Zero Mission at all, but I know a lot of others do. It's much easier to find a way to play that one legally, though. Lots of people have DS Lites and can grab the cart. DKC and an SNES in this day and age is a bit more unusual.

I know you were just teasing, but I still felt compelled to respond ;)

This slow drip bullshit by NOA, NOE, and Ninty Japan is killing us and by extension hurting Nintendo.

terrisus

Most of us aren't doing that.
And it's currently much better in here with regards to that.

I enjoy the stuff that we get very much.

Top Bottom