• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Don't listen to anything Nexis Games/Hullbreach says. That guy is Randy of PR for both of them. He is obsessed with RCMADIAX and constantly makes up lies about him.

That seems really rude of him but a company raising its prices and then putting them on "sale" two weeks later is kind of disgusting as well.

Experien

So only four tracks...for $6 might not be too bad since it is 5 player. Most (if not all) of the other concerns mentioned made me think they are crazy with talks of too few laps (MK only has 3) and complaining about obstacles. The original only had 8 tracks and was full retail. Loved playing off-road and micro machines and I think that is what it is going for, not a big serious racer like GT.

Zeeman

Mario Golf (GBC) is the RPG one, right? Do you just build up stats through playing golf, or is there more to it than that?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Mario Golf (GBC) is the RPG one, right? Do you just build up stats through playing golf, or is there more to it than that?

Basically you go around to different clubs and do star challenges (stuff like shot lesson 1, approach lesson 1, etc) for experience, and you can challenge the club pro which will also give you experience points. There are also minigames that give you experience, and I think match games (1v1, separate from the story) do as well. Point of the game is to beat all the club pros and then something else happens :) it's a really fun game, definitely recommend it. The GBA one was quite good as well.

maxcriden

I posted more of my thoughts in the Metroid Prime Trilogy thread, but...

Ugh. I can't play this game. It makes me physically sick =(

Ugh, I feel your pain, terry. That sucks. I mean, I only have this is a little with games like Metroid Prime, but I can definitely empathize based on similar symptoms I get from other games that are triggers for migraines. If it's not too personal a question, does this response to FPS games predate your stroke?

terrisus

+ responding to terry here, too.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with MK 64 as a kid. It was my first MK, actually. But in comparison to Diddy Kong Racing it really could not hold a candle for me in terms of tracks and content. Battle Mode is about even between the two IIRC. MK series needs a story mode a la DKR badly. We also need a new DKR. The rumored one sounds amazing to me but I'd be totally cool with them just doing something similar with the next MK. I did find MK8 fun. I liked Super Circuit the best otherwise, I think. Didn't play much of Wii and couldn't get into DS when I tried it not too long ago. I don't think I played 7, either

I agree with you that Diddy Kong's Racing is a fun game as well, and has things that Mario Kart 64 doesn't have...
But then, it has things that all of the Mario Karts don't have, so that affects all of them, not just 64.

So, even without getting into any comparisons between Diddy King's Racing and any of the Mario Kart games, it's still possible to compare the Mario Kart games amongst themselves, with that as a constant regardless of how one feels.

terrisus

Ugh, I feel your pain, terry. That sucks. I mean, I only have this is a little with games like Metroid Prime, but I can definitely empathize based on similar symptoms I get from other games that are triggers for migraines. If it's not too personal a question, does this response to FPS games predate your stroke?

Yeah, all of this stuff is going as far back as first trying FPSs in the mid-90s, and has been consistent throughout the rest of the 90s and the 2000s, all before my stroke.

My vision issues from the stroke would only make things worse, maybe I could've handled it a bit better otherwise, but in general it's nothing new or unexpected.

Do me a favor and take this test if you're up to it:

http://www.30vs60fps.com/

I'm curious to know why you and most other Gaffers cant handle the orientation in most FPSs.

I'll check that out tomorrow.
I'm still not feeling that great >.>

GulAtiCa

That seems really rude of him but a company raising its prices and then putting them on "sale" two weeks later is kind of disgusting as well.

I think he should have waited a few more weeks since he just upped the price too.

I'll actually be raising my game's price after it's next patch do to the content being so much more. Granted, I'll be doing a sale beforehand and warning people during that sale of an upcoming price change and likely won't do a sale after the price change for at least a month or 2.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with MK 64 as a kid. It was my first MK, actually. But in comparison to Diddy Kong Racing it really could not hold a candle for me in terms of tracks and content. Battle Mode is about even between the two IIRC. MK series needs a story mode a la DKR badly. We also need a new DKR. The rumored one sounds amazing to me but I'd be totally cool with them just doing something similar with the next MK. I did find MK8 fun. I liked Super Circuit the best otherwise, I think. Didn't play much of Wii and couldn't get into DS when I tried it not too long ago. I don't think I played 7, either

I have to agree here Max. I actually thought MK64 was kind of trash as a kid, and I still think it and SMR are mediocre, but man did I LOVE Diddy Kong Racing (and Crash Team Racing), that game was my jam. I didn't become a huge Mario Kart fan until Double Dash, then the series just kept improving until we got the flawless Mario Kart 8. I wish Diddy Kong Racing would get a 3DS port. I know the DS got one (or was that a sequel) but that turned out awful, and the controls were as botched and Mario 64 DS :/

You'll never guess which character I mained in DKR lmao:

114px-Timbercar.png

jholmes

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos
Blek (Broken Rules | $4.99)

Am I wrong or is Blek not available in Canada?

If so can this shit stop already? I know some developers are just not good business people but holy fuck getting your one eShop page translated into French is not worth walling off 30 million people over.

maxcriden

If so can this shit stop already? I know some developers are just not good business people but holy fuck getting your one eShop page translated into French is not worth walling off 30 million people over.

At this point, isn't it tempting to just offer to translate the game en français for Canadian gamers? ;__;

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ok.... working through the eShop version of Earthbound (1st time ever playing EB) and the game is pretty amazing... Will it dethrone Chrono Trigger as my fave SNES game of all time? Doubtful. But it could end up in my top 5. I love the unique art-style, the kooky characters and bizarre atmosphere, the trippy battle backgrounds and enemies, and the catchy music. Not too hot on the official character names... Poo? >_< I also changed the name of the dog to my cat's name.

Haha, anyways this game just OOZES charm <3

maxcriden

I struggle with it, too. I remember Elebits making me so physically ill I had to lie down with my eyes closed for 4 hours.

Is Elebits first-person? I have that one in my backlog and I was looking forward to trying it out but that gives me a bit of pause. Either way, I'm sorry to hear it made you feel unwell.

GulAtiCa

hmm, it's not out on US either. I'll tweet Broken Rules to see what's up.

jholmes

At this point, isn't it tempting to just offer to translate the game en français for Canadian gamers? ;__;

I could but there are dozens of people on these boards alone who could do better.

But yeah, these guys could just ask and throw 'em a free copy and they'd probably do it! Problem solved.

hmm, it's not out on NA either. I'll tweet Broken Rules to see what's up.

Oh, no one gets it? Well that's no good.

GulAtiCa

Oh, no one gets it? Well that's no good.

I bet the date listed is a mistake. As was not in PR, not even mentioned on Broken Rule's twitter page. Obviously they are the devs of the port and not the publisher. But they tweeted heavily when Guacamelee was released and were proud of that and showed it. (They did that port.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok.... working through the eShop version of Earthbound (1st time ever playing EB) and the game is pretty amazing... Will it dethrone Chrono Trigger as my fave SNES game of all time? Doubtful. But it could end up in my top 5. I love the unique art-style, the kooky characters and bizarre atmosphere, the trippy battle backgrounds and enemies, and the catchy music. Not too hot on the official character names... Poo? >_< I also changed the name of the dog to my cat's name.

Just wait until you play Mother 3.

jholmes

I bet the date listed is a mistake. As was not in PR, not even mentioned on Broken Rule's twitter page. Obviously they are the devs of the port and not the publisher. But they tweeted heavily when Guacamelee was released and were proud of that and showed it. (They did that port.)

Oh damn, now I'm really looking forward to this. Guacamelee was a great port.

terrisus

Chrono Trigger and Earthbound love together in one post <3

jholmes

Can't tell if you're serious but I did think it was a decent idea ;)

One can only be so serious when volunteering strangers for work but yeah, I do think it's worth trading a copy of a game to have it available in all N.A. markets, and I'd guess some guys with reasonable writing skills would be happy to help/benefit.

maxcriden

One can only be so serious when volunteering strangers for work but yeah, I do think it's worth trading a copy of a game to have it available in all N.A. markets, and I'd guess some guys with reasonable writing skills would be happy to help/benefit.

Oh, yeah. I agree. It's a bit of a silly-sounding idea, but you wonder if it'd even happen otherwise. Apart from Frederic, what other games are you missing out on there?

LOL poor daydream ;___;

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll bring it Westward! :)

jholmes

Oh, yeah. I agree. It's a bit of a silly-sounding idea, but you wonder if it'd even happen otherwise. Apart from Frederic, what other games are you missing out on there?

I think we're still missing Ballpoint Universe, I believe. A bunch of other games get delays too -- mostly stuff like The Letter (which isn't exactly what I'd call a bad thing) but there have been some worthy games that escape me at the moment.

maxcriden

I think we're still missing Ballpoint Universe, I believe. A bunch of other games get delays too -- mostly stuff like The Letter (which isn't exactly what I'd call a bad thing) but there have been some worthy games that escape me at the moment.

BPU is an acquired taste for sure, but a worthwhile and unique game. I hope y'all get it soon. I could always email my contact at its dev team, let me know if you want me to.

jholmes

BPU is an acquired taste for sure, but a worthwhile and unique game. I hope y'all get it soon. I could always email my contact at its dev team, let me know if you want me to.

I'd be OK with that of course but someone should check it hasn't actually been added since.

Don't talk shit about Poo. He'll be your savior in the game.

Glad to see someone else feel in love with EB. That is my favorite game of all time.

terrisus

Funny story about Poo (haha):

When I was a moderator over on Nintendo's old NSider forums, they had board ranks over there (different ranks for different amounts of posts), and they were going to add a new rank, and I convinced them to have it be an Earthbound rank, and to have the boards vote on what to name the rank.

Nintendo ran a very tight ship over there (seriously, the amount of things people weren't allowed to do was really something else), and their main concern was that the vote would be in favor of Poo - not just because people liked him, but because "Haha, there's a rank named Poo! Like poopoo!..." Which was somehow an issue, despite that being a character name in a game they published >.>

I got them to let me go ahead with it, somehow or another.

I did voting by having people give a Top 3 set of choices, and weighting the points 3-2-1 for 1st choice, 2nd choice, and 3rd choice.

The final rankings (which of course I have saved, since I save everything) were:
Mr. Saturn: 637
Starman/Ghost of Starman/Starman DX/Starman Super: 404
PK Master/PSI Master/PSI Warrior: 196
Ness: 100
Poo: 58

So, their fears were for naught, and we got a Mr. Saturn rank.
And no one really liked Poo all that much :þ

donny2112

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with MK 64 as a kid. It was my first MK, actually. But in comparison to Diddy Kong Racing it really could not hold a candle for me in terms of tracks and content.

Wait, wait, wait. I thought we were talking about Mario Kart games? Diddy Kong Racing (i.e. "Give me any ride but the hovercraft!" Racing) was better, for sure.

Battle Mode is about even between the two IIRC.

Bots! You could play DKR Battle Mode with bots as a single-player! DKR WINS!

Didn't play much of Wii

The Wii wheel and shaking for stunts is really fun. Also the first MK game (and Wii game?) with a good online multi-player!

and couldn't get into DS when I tried it not too long ago.

Hated snaking, so that killed online for me. :( The single-player in that was great with the challenge stuff, though!

Ugh. I can't play this game. It makes me physically sick =(

I'm sorry. That sucks. :(

BooJoh

Do me a favor and take this test if you're up to it:

http://www.30vs60fps.com/

I'm curious to know why you and most other Gaffers cant handle the orientation in most FPSs.

I'll check that out tomorrow.
I'm still not feeling that great >.>

That site made me feel a little dizzy and the only time I ever have issues with 3D games is when I have the flu or am otherwise already sick. Spinning in place in a FPS = no.

Glass Joe

Does anyone know next week's Wii game and do we have any confirmation as to whether or not it will have a 50% off intro week (I'm guessing no to the sale)? I scanned the thread and the US PR doesn't give a "coming soon." Sometimes the Euro one does but I didn't find it here.

That thread maker is a publisher? He'd be better off minding his own business. Especially since this appears to be a pattern against the guy. As for the accusation, I'd be rightfully miffed if the guy (Mike?) was only temporarily increasing the price during the sale. But it's a permanent increase that happened earlier and will stay that way after. Obviously I'm not in support of price increases in general... but with the way Nintendo apparently does sales margins, I can't be too hard on a new indie that decided a strategy change was in order.

TheMoon

Does anyone know next week's Wii game and do we have any confirmation as to whether or not it will have a 50% off intro week (I'm guessing no to the sale)? I scanned the thread and the US PR doesn't give a "coming soon." Sometimes the Euro one does but I didn't find it here.

Only the first three were announced for every region. What comes next is anyone's guess. We'll know what's in store for Europe on Monday. The 9.99 offer was only ever meant for January and will not be in effect for new titles going forward.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, Blek, is coming soon, it's not out yet. Just a mistake on Nintendo.com part.

Also, apparently USK sucks at communications. haha. Was told I can expect to never hear from them until they send the invoice. So, until then, I'll have no idea if they received my mail or not..

Ladekabel

Only the first three were announced for every region. What comes next is anyone's guess. We'll know what's in store for Europe on Monday. The 9.99 offer was only ever meant for January and will not be in effect for new titles going forward.

Going from an eMail I recieved I'm going to guess it'll be either Punch-Out!! or Kirby's Adventure Wii for Europe.

Though they might be just showing up for advertising reasons.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder what the chances are of 3rd party Wii games becoming available for download.

Also hoping WarioWare: Smooth Moves appears as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
AW YEAH, TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOoooohhhh wait licensing issues....

.....well Zack & Wiki was one of the rare 3rd party games near the Wii's launch to be rather good.

TheMoon

.....well Zack & Wiki was one of the rare 3rd party games near the Wii's launch to be rather good.

It would be soooooo trolltastic if they had the audacity to put up Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero ("Archives" re-release for Wii) and RE4Wii on the eShop after fucking us over on the HD versions.

But yea, obviously Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a no-go due to the licensing nightmare. I can see them re-releasing the Chronicles games, too and maybe Okami if they care. Doubt we'd see something like Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop, though.

Maybe we'll get pandora's tower?

I have the last story and Xenoblade. Might as well complete the trifecta.

I also found T v C in GameStop near me for 20 bucks heh

Top Bottom